Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Damask Rose

Akuma

Devilish temptation, as sweet as sin: blood orange, neroli, and raspberry.

I love this! At first I could smell all the different fruits but now it just has a general sweet smell. I d like this one but it is very sweet and fruity so you have to be in the mood for it. I don't think I would wear it all the time but it is a real "cheer you up" scent, which is great when I have this cold!

Very very nice. Extremely fruity sweet smell. Lovely in the vial and lovely on. Smells like something from my youth that I cannot quite put my finger on but I like it very very much. Very fresh and young scent. Would definitely buy more.

This one is fruity and bright... I thought this would be a great pick me up scent but on me its making me feel.... vicious and a bit fierce. Not sexy vicious but an "I am tough enough to take it all and come out smiling" vicious. This one is definately for those days where i am feeling a lil meek and want to feel strong. (roarrrrrr)

intital impressions: sweet, fruity, jam, breakfast, late spring/early summer, well balanced

yummy but maybe too much sweet to wear. we'll find out later!

EDIT: Merged into existing Akuma thread. --Shollin

mmmmmmCandy!!

My first initial impression was very raspberry - I could smell a little bit of the orange also. When I applied the fragrance to my skin the raspberry was strong but sweet with a bit of tart - probably the orange. As it started to dry I feel I smelled like a sweet tart candy - this is a good thing!! It was sweet but not overpowering and the raspberry smell was heavenly! This is a really yummy fragrance - I just love the way I smell when I am wearing this one. I think I need a bigger size! :P

AKUMA

at first: i think i like it, but i can't place what it smells like. i might be getting some apple or grape. hmmm...

on: i don't know why, but this scent just seems so weird to me. ok, i looked it up and it has blood orange, neroli, and raspberry. that is a rather different combination. i think i like this one, but i'm not sure.

one hour later: it's growing on me. in fact, it's perfect for the sunny, warm weather we're having at this moment. a great spring / summer scent, i think.

overall: this lingered beautifully on my skin. it's just so wonderfully different from just about anything i've ever smelled. i may end up getting 5ml of this once i'm done with my imp's ear.

Smells like tangy berries upon first application, then sweet and waxy. Upon dry-down I smell like a mixed fruit jam of some sort, with a powdery finish. Entirely pleasant and luscious, and if you like fruity perfumes, this one is for you.

This is sooo great! I love fuity smells and this one is definately one of those! Very sweet tangy fruit... Yummy! I will get a vat of this one... please! :P

Akuma takes me back to my childhood in the 70's when RAZZLES were all the rage...the "first it's a candy, then it's a gum" confection. Akuma is delicate, sweet and fruity. The raspberry is prevalent, followed by the blood orange and neroli, making for a very nice subtle scent.

:P

First Impression: OMG, I thought the same thing: Razzles.

Second Impression: I like the sweet and juicy about this scent. I feared it was going to be fruity or citrusy (don't do well with those) but it's not. It's more like candy than fruit.

Final Analysis: This was a lovely extra from a swap and I'll very much enjoy using the imp this summer.

First Sniff

Musty fruit - oranges. Next sniff, berries.

Drydown

It's like fermenting fruit. It's a lot darker than I expected it to be. The orange is

dominant.

After a While

The raspberry is here! It's sharp and juicy and gives the scent a much brighter feel.

Final Verdict

A little too dark and brooding at the beginning. I much prefer Jester.

Hmmm. This worked so well on everyone else, but to quote myself from a review posted elsewhere, this is what happened to me:

"I tried on Akuma today and it was not a nice experience. Yet another body chemistry accident, where the cherry and whatever else was in there conspired to go from really pretty and light and nice in the bottle to hitting my skin with a bitter/rotting note that hits you in your sinuses (like dead swamp plants and that old Tussy deodorant) which later calmed down into a chemical cherry note on top of something like industrial solvent.

I ended up smelling like the cherry-scented cleaner they use in the bathrooms on the NJ Turnpike."

I must have been mistaking the raspberries for cherries. But whatever it is, it sure doesn't work with me.

Yay it's Akuma...a scent I never would have picked on my own. Whoohoo.

First sniff

Very strong and devilish. The orange jumps out at me along with someething darker, maybe the neroli? It's almost TOO strong and a bit offputting acutally but there's something that draws me as well.

When wet

Wet this becomes Raspberry heaven on me. Nothing but raspberry, can't smell the orange, can't smell the neroli jsut overpowering raspberry. It's very sweet but very strong as well.

Drydown

Raspberry, raspberry and more raspberry. But now it's not as strong and a bit lovely actually. Still very very sweet. Pretty good staying power as I put this on early early this morning and it's now 8 hours later and I can smell it still.

Aftermath

I'm not sure what to think about Akuma. I was ready to write it off on first sniff but it was sly and changed its nature on me. I think I will use up the imp as it will be a nice scent for the coming colder months but I doubt I'd get a 5 ml of this.

At first Akuma was very sweet and dark, just like everyone has said.

Several hours later and it's still sweet, but no longer dark.

It's not unpleasant, but I don't think this one's for me.

If you like very sweet and fruity, but also dark, this is for you!

This is a very strange mix, initially I can smell the orange as the first note that hits me on the head, then it dies down and the neroli and raspberry are both equal notes next to create a bittersweet fusion with the "tang" from raspberry and the sharpness of the neroli melded together over the orange base. It becomes quite devilish, with one hell of a bite.

Although I can see the mastery in this blend, both raspberry and orange are not scents favoured by myself. So I really couldnt see myself wearing this one.

Akuma is yet another BPAL oil that I could just drink right from the bottle!

The creaminess of the neroli, the bright, fresh citrus of the Blood orancge, and the sweet raspberry are a perfect combo!

Truly delightful!

Edited by glampyre

In bottle: Whoa! Sharp. Overwhelmingly bitter oranges and neroli. It truly is the essence of demon.

On me: True to the bottle as it dries down...after a few minutes this fades to mostly raspberry. However, I love that this is a corrupted, sinister raspberry, not your typical Bath & Body Works Sun-Ripened Raspberry.

This fragrance does not live up to its evil name. It is a very fun-fruity scent. Reminds me of summertime and the ripeness of berries. It smells of sparkling fresh fruit wines... very uplifting and enjoyable.

Initial Imp Sniff: Woah, tasty fruit juiciness!

Swipe: This scent bursts with fruit and juice...actually makes me crave gummies..the good quality kind.

Drydown: Hmm...I'm not sure how I feel about this one now..it's kind of powdery tinged and has a sort of floral background that is strongly backing up the ripe juicy fruitness.

Overall: I loved the initial ripe fruit bursting with juiciy gummie candy-ness. But I might need a little more time to get over the floral scent mixed in. I still can't help but to catergorize them as "old lady" and "standard perfume." It's still a mighty tasty scent though..definitely makes me want gummie worms something fierce. :P :D

In the vial: Smells like sweet, tangy lemon candy! Smells like the way Lemonheads TASTE.

Wet, on my skin: Wait, no, it doesn't smell like Lemonheads. It smells like SweetTarts! It smells the way they look AND taste!

I tried Akuma this morning before dropping my daughter off at school and she looked at me with narrowed eyelids and said, "Are you eating something out of my Halloween basket?" :P

When I told her that it was one of my new BPAL oils, she told me she wanted to try it herself as soon as she got home!

On drydown: The citrus tones down and the raspberry comes out more. This is a very fresh, deliciously tangy scent perfect for lovers of citrusy scents. Something about it reminds me of Calyx, one of my former stand by perfumes, although this is much more edible, while Calyx is green, citrusy and fresh.

Akuma reminds me a lot of Carnal, with a burstingly bright translucent sweetness. It does have something of a deeper core when first applied, that made me think of March Hare, but that faded quickly on me leaving just the fruits. It's verging on too sweet for me... okay, it is too sweet for me. But still quite pleasant!

That melange of scent that comes from a bag of assorted hard candies in the fruit flavors? Akuma!

From reviews, I expected this to be sticky-sweet, but it's not. It's more like squeezing fresh fruits, or if you were dropping these three into a blender for a fruit smoothie. Very bright and very clear, without a hint of artificiality.

While I'll probably save it for spring or summer, I'm putting a bottle of Akuma on my "buy a bottle of this when you have some extra money and nothing left on your can't-live-without" list. The softness of sherbert without the cloying sweetness is absolutely wonderful.

When I opened the imp's ear, my first thought was how sharp and sweet it was. Today, though, I decided to give it a try - I needed a pick-me-up kind of scent, as I had a long shift at work to look forward to (and I work retail, so you know it's no fun).

It works very well with my body chemistry - the sweetness is very...Well, sweet, when I put it on, and for the first couple of hours, but it fades down into more of a dark, sweet scent. It doesn't have the staying power I get from other BPAL oils, but still, a very enjoyable scent.

this one smells like a strawberry shortcake doll without the fakeness to it.. its sweet and fruity. it reminds me of being young and playing with strawberry shortcake dolls in the summer sun. its very light and pleasing.. i love this one a lot!!! i'm definetly buying a big ol bottle of this!