Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Damask Rose

Akuma

Devilish temptation, as sweet as sin: blood orange, neroli, and raspberry.

This one is very strongly soap on me. When I sniff up close I can pick out a bit of raspberry. It reminds me quite a lot of Froot Loops...soapy Froot Loops! Bloody hell, I wonder what it is that my skin is mangling!!!

In the imp: ORANGE (with a tiny bit of something sweet - the raspberry I think)

Wet: more ORANGE! It smells just like blood orange to me - I want to drink it.

Later: This one fades quickly, but it is nice while it lasts - almost a perfect balance between the three different notes, with the raspberry coming out more strongly towards the end. After 3 hours I can only smell it if I huff my wrists.

Overall: Berry scents seem to be iffy on me, but this one works. However it isn't very exciting, it's nice and if it were a soap I would love using it in the shower (hmm maybe repurpose as a bath oil?), but I don't get that 'I smell great' lift that I get from one of my preferred scents. I'll keep my imp for the bath or for when I need a pick-me-up, but I don't think I need a bottle.

This was bitterly citrusy when first applied, with a very slight tinge of soapiness that quickly disappeared. I quite like that version of bitter fruitiness, rather than the overly sweet artificial smell I (for whatever reason) expect from a fruit-themed perfume. (Maybe I'm subconciously associating them with the scent of gummy bears or something? Or cough syrup? This doesn't smell like either, thankfully) The bitter citrus rind quality reminds me of the top notes of Aizen-Myoo, but stuck around longer on me than they did in that one, which is great! Beginning to dry, it smells just like sweet tarts at one point but that impression doesn't last long. I mostly get the tartness of both the raspberry and blood orange. It smells good, juicy and tart. The color association is of clear reds and oranges. Sadly the throw is very low on me despite slathering. I like it ok but it's not quite 'me'. I like it better than I expected to though! I think I need to give fruit scents more of a chance. I'll enjoy using the imp!

Edited by Mermaid-on-Land

Having been frimped Akuma twice I thought I'd better give it a second chance. Based on the notes it should be right up my street but alas:

Wet: Bitter, orange sherbert

Drying: Orange/pine toilet cleaner (where the heck is pine coming from?)

Dry: Cheap, orangey, institutional soap

Whyyyyyyy?

Edited by Scarlet Woodland

I found the blood orange to be very bitter and astringent at first. The raspberry comes in and sweetens and the neroli softens a bit. I think I could see myself using this in the summer months!

I love these notes and foresee no particular failure here before trying it.

On my skin: Shiny, bold blood orange, given more red and just a little tartness from the raspberries. There's a background of the orange lollipop thing that neroli has been doing on my skin this week, but the blood orange and raspberry save this from going too far that direction.

Dried: The fruity oomph of this fades quickly, and what's left of it moves toward soapiness, but doesn't reach it. Not quite soapy, not quite chalky -- it smells like the waxy feeling of unscented lotion. A little blood orange and neroli's orange lollipop are still there alongside this, more subdued.

Fun but a little too bright and fleeting.

I had an older imp in my collection and was frimped a newer one, so I tried them next to each other and I'm surprised how different it gets with age. I'm not sure how old the older one is, but it's at least 2 years and probably more. The newer one is only two or three months.

Both in the imps and first applied are pretty similar for each respective sample. The older one is much richer and deep. It's almost like a mulled blood orange. And it is mostly the orange. A little bit of the raspberry pokes through, but it's mostly a dark, brooding blood orange to me. It stays close to the skin.

The more fresh one really smells it. It's more like a freshly peeled navel orange and is cheery and waiting to help you start your day. The neroli is the support in this one. It also stays pretty close to the skin, but it feels like the emotional polar opposite.

Once they dry they lean in towards each other a little to find some common ground, but it still feels almost like night and day. I don't know how much batch variation may have contributed to it and how much is aging. I like them both, but it is interesting.

I was interested in trying this due to the blood orange and raspberry notes, but of course it was a huge neroli party on my skin. So it's soapy, bitter neroli backed by some blood orange and raspberry, with the raspberry becoming more prominent over time, but never overtaking the neroli.

It was nice to be able to try this, but sadly, there's just too much neroli in this for me.