Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

Beaver Moon 2005

Cheesecake and cupcakes, yo! This is Beaver Moon 2005 resurrected!

This is a delicious bakery smell with just a hint of strawberry and maybe even a touch of graham cracker crust. It reminds me of the smell when I'm baking a cheesecake, but the cream cheese note isn't strong enough to be off-putting (who really wants to smell like cream cheese, really?).

This is a perfect scent for foody-scent lovers. It thankfully lacks the heavy butter note I find in other BPAL cake blends. It's quite sweet but not nauseatingly so. Throw is excellent, and staying power is amazing- I'm still smelling it eight hours after applying.

Verdict: 5 out of 5. I bought two bottles- one to keep and one to swap sometime down the line- but I have a feeling I'll be keeping them both for myself.

Beaver'versary:

Wet: Heavy caramel like scent with cookies.

Dry down on my skin it became lighter and more yummy.

After a few hours ohh my i love it light fluffy cakes on my skin !!! (and i dont even get hungry YAY)

I love it !! i'm soo happy i bought a back up ;)

Edited by Shollin
Merged with existing topic, removed Lab description --Shollin

Oh wow. I am so happy to have been able to purchase Beaver'Versary! Initially put on, I get FROSTED CUPCAKES! Yay! About a minute after...the tangy cheesecake comes in, and stays as the more dominant note in this one. Whats wrong with that, you ask? Absolutely, positively, freakin NOTHIN, man! :D

Imp: Mmmm...I love cheesecake. This reminds me of the smell of the cheesecake ice-cream and Cold Stone more than something I'd get at Junior's but I love it all the same.

Wet: Where cheesecake go? :(

Drydown: Mmmmm...no more cheesecake, but delicious graham cracker crust with some vanilla-strawberry icing coming in from somewhere.

Overall: I love a nice foody smell. This one is great for days when I'm baking something for myself or just want a nice comfort smell. Glad I got it!

Cheesecake. This is exactly what it smells like. I am not a foody person, so this didn't really agree with me. I was left feeling vaguely nauseous all day. But the scent is true. Thick and creamy cheesecake!

This review is for the Beaver'varsary edition.

It did smell very much like strawberries and cupcakes when I first applied. And now that it has dried, it's more of a cake/cheesecake blend, more vanilla than the original and it has like a burnt sugar edge to it.

From my recollections of the original, this one doesn't go to plastic on me. But I'm still not sure I like it.

I don't even need to review this in three separate stages. This is exactly as the description says: cheesecake and cupcakes. And it stays true.

I bought a bottle of Beaver Moon 2005.

In the bottle--and in theory--this smells good. It smells exactly like food, even. I can't say it agrees with me: the thick odor of confection turns rank on my skin. Not rank in the traditional sense, mind you, but my chemistry amplifies the sugary goodness in to something that no one would eat. You could get a cavity from sniffing me...ten feet away.

I don't know if it was aged to (and subsequently past) perfection or what.

I opened it once to try it. Once.

It's now the overwhelming scent in my Kaboodle where I keep these. In smaller Bodai boxes. That are air-tight.

Edited by DigitalCoyote

This is for the Res. 2008 version

Okay, so.....pardon me while I go into diabetic shock with this scent. Holy. Cow. It's all FROSTING FROSTING DING DING DING WEEEOOOOWEEEOOO FROOOOOOSTING and a tiny hint of cheesecake on me.

I'm a foodie, but this is....this is pure sugar frosting, and I'm beginning to think that while good (it's good, don't get me wrong!! *knaws on wrist*) it may be a biiiiit too much.

Hmm.

This is Graham cracker crust cheesecake, it does exactly what it says, and after almost 10 hours it`s still strong! It`s comforting, yummy, foody, cupcake vanilla, and it does become sweeter with time.

:bunnyluv:

In the bottle: Super sweet cupcake frosting.

On, wet: Sweet, sweet, sweet, cheesecake with a nice, non-buttery graham cracker crust.

On, dry: This stays fairly true, though as it sits, I'm also picking up a bit of strawberry. It's like really rich cheesecake with a thin swirl of strawberry. It smells so heavenly, although I'm not sure that this would be an everyday kind of scent -- it could do real damage to my diet! :lol:

In the bottle:

BPAL's strong foody notes - especially sugar/candy, though there's something else in there, like a cake smell but less sweet.

Wet:

Buttery sugar frosting, cake, vanilla, flour, and pastry. I'm surprised at how much I can pick out the flour.

Dry down:

A very mild cupcake scent. Really - I smell the cake and the buttery frosting. I get the cheese cake, too, but it's less noticeable. This isn't candy-sweet in the least. It's a doughy cakey sweetness, a baked sweetness, like sniffing a cool yellow cake (the cake part, not the frosting). The foody/sweetness is very controlled.

Final thoughts:

This one is impressive -- I understand why the lab resurrected it. Yummm. My favorite thing about this one is the balance between vanilla and sweetness. Most definitely a keeper.

This is for the Beaver'versary edition.

In the imp and on my skin at first this is very sweet. I can smell cupcakes and frosting. No cheesecake.

During the drydown I get some cheesecake going, along with a slightly sour note that's almost - spicy? WTH?

This is a really interesting blend, and it smells relatively good, but I don't know if this is a "me" blend. I think I'd like it better if it hadn't gotten that slightly sour tang to it. I'm glad I got to try it, though!

This is a review of the Beaver'Versary edition.

Mmm. This seems to be sensitive to my chemistry, because most days I wear it I don't smell the cupcakes. I smell the tang of the cheesecake and in the late drydown, some spiced vanilla, but no cake. The graham cracker crust flirts on the edges, just backing up the cheesecake. It's the rare days that I smell any cake. But I really like it- and as strange as this will sound, it doesn't smell particularly foody to me. I mean, yes- cheesecake. But my skin makes it creamy, and with the spiced vanilla, it's total yum.

2005 Original

In the bottle: Golden oil. Sweet, foody, creamy. Tangy cream cheese, vanilla, and cake, and also some spice.

Wet: The spice is clove, and this reminds me a lot of cream cheese frosted carrot cake. Loads creamy vanilla. Less sweet on my skin.

Dry: Clove amping. My skin ate most of the sweetness, and much of the sourness of the cream cheese is gone. Still lots of vanilla.

Later: A little sweeter, and more woody from the clove. I'm also getting some delicious hot chocolate (specifically) and graham cracker. Maybe some coconut?

Summary: Maybe it's not clove, because clove usually becomes so cloying and intense on me, but it's some woody spice. Along with creamy vanilla-flavoured cocoa & graham crust.

Not my thing at all, but surprisingly delicious. For some reason, I am remind of Samoas which are my favourite Girl Scout cookie. I would eat my hand if I could.

In the imp: Strawberries and cheesecake. Must not drink. Must not drink.

On my skin: *moans* Strawberry frosting and cinnamon and cheesecake. If I could eat my wrist, I would, because seriously. This is foody and delicious, absolutely the sweetest... I can't even continue the review. Excuse me while I nom on myself.

Edited by sirensea

This one is my favourite so far! I'm a bit of a newbie, but the frosting scent of this has me completely addicted. It didn't change much from imp straight through to hours later, and I can't stop sniffing myself. I don't really smell the cheesecake, it's more frosting and cupcake to me

In the imp and wet it smells like spicy sweet graham cracker crust. On dry down it smells like sweet cream cheese frosting, but there was something too sweet and cloying that made me naseous. I love sweet foodie scents, but there was something about this one that didn't agree with me although it does smell great really dry.

I'm so glad I have a whole bottle of this! I have the Beaverversary and I adore this! It's not as cupcakey as my aged Beaver Moon 05, but I'll let it lie low for a few months and try again :)

In the bottle I mostly smell cheesecake. It brings to mind the image of a strawberry or cherry cheesecake, with a nice graham cracker crust.

On my skin it's just the same. It spends a few hours in the cheesecake stage before moving onto the cupcakes, vanilla with lots of frosting. The scent stays strong, and delicious, even after quite a while. (The only problem with it? It makes me want lots of cheesecake!)

Picture this:

I am sitting at my desk happily munching away on Crispix and coffee. I usually test my new BPAL at work as it gives me the time to wear the scent and makes my day a little more interesting (Yes, my job is that boring.) Its hump day so I decide to wear my newly purchased Beaver'versary decant... BAD IDEA.

Suddenly, my Crispix taste like cardboard, my coffee tastes bitter, and all I want is some cake with creamcheese frosting. I think Lilirose said what I was feeling, I can't wear some GC cake scents (Eat Me or Velvet) cos they turn buttery on my skin. This is flipping delicious. Velvet Unicorn (my other new fave) is a white cake on me, this is definitely a creamier cheesecake feel.

Do I?

a. sit here and refuse to work, huffing my wrist

b. skip work run across the street to a bakery and eat all day

c. both

Beaverversary is all cupcakes on me, the smell of warm cupcakes out of the oven combined with the smell of freshly mixed buttercream frosting and cheesecake with the caramelized-sugar crust.

Of all the BPAL food scents I have tried, this one is the most exact representation of the food listed in the description.

...I'm getting kind of a creepy vibe here, wondering how on earth Beth created a vegan, non-synthetic facsimilie of buttercream frosting and vanilla cupcakes and bottled it.

Dear Lab: You madmen! What has science done?!

On the drydown, this has kind of a gritty, almost molasses-like raw sugar note to it that reminds me of Sugar Skull, and in addition to the buttercream, there is a sweetened cream cheese/neufchatel scent. It's a little strange to smell like cheese but it's blended so well into this rich dessert that somehow, it just works. It gives this scent a richness and a creaminess and a kind of musky quality that balances the sweet and sugar.

It's definitely not all sweetness and light. This is sensual, in the same way that biting into a really decadent dessert is. These are sexy, dirty, naughty cupcakes.

After drydown the scent stays the same for hours and hours and does not morph. Of all the BPAL blends I have tried, this one has the best staying power and a very strong throw.

I don't slather, I dab lightly, and this was still going strong after 12 hours. I wore it to bed and it was still going strong the next morning. I took a shower and washed my hair - twice - and when I got out of the shower it was still there. Most of the sweetness is gone, but there is just a hint of creaminess and vanilla left that is very pleasant.

Final verdict: One of the best foody scents out there - perfect for anyone who is looking to smell over-the-top sweet, sexy, and edible. However, it's too strong and too cloying for everyday wear or for work/professional dress situations. It would make a great scent for a fun night out or a cuddly date at home, or for attracting a very hungry partner.

I'm not into sweet scents at all, but this is so close to real cupcakes that I am really tempted to hold onto it and find excuses to wear it.

Edited by crimescenecleanup

I purchased an imp of Beaver'versary from an awesome forumite because the reviews made it sound so yummy.

In the bottle it does smell a little of cheesecake filled cupcakes, with the little graham cracker crust in the bottom of the cupcake liner. Definitely a cupcake, not the big heavy cheesecake - more brown edges. And I didn't get cherry - a teeny little bit of strawberry lurking in the background.

ON: :thud: Yep, pick my self up, smell my arm and again :thud:

This is vanilla, sweet and light, and lightly spicy on me. Not too sweet, no berries, just the perfect spicy vanilla. I cannot even describe how perfect this is on me.

After about 15 minutes, I was pushing "search" frantically for other forumites selling this! :lol: :lol:

Beaver'Versary

I thought I'd write a review as I'm wearing this for the first time in a while today and I'm enjoying it. Its definitely a cool weather scent- far too just-baking-kinda-foody for summer or warm weather.

When I decided I was in love and needed to order this, it was due to a sniffy I was sent. The sniffy was warm sweet creamy cupcakes with the density of cheesecake. And it was love. My bottle, however, is mostly cinnamon. It almost turns into an incensey cake scent as a result. I still love it but I wonder if I got a super cinnamony batch of it.

O well, either way its the perfect winter foody scent for me, and cinnamony or not, its delicious.

My only complaint is that it does smell a little too foody at moments, as though I am covered in cinnamon buns and cookie dough and baking spices after baking a long day, but most of the time its just lovely.

Nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom...excuse me...nom nom...eh? Oh yeah. Review. Right. Concentrate.

*pulls nose away from arm*

Perfectly accurate cheesecake..rich and slightly salty, pungent, dense, moist...whoa not the graham cracker crust too!! Now I'm hungry...;_;

This is similar to the other cake-y scents I've tried - however it lacks the fruity currant and uber sweetness of Eat Me, and doesn't possess the complexity that Dorian/Snake Oil give to Cake Smash..there's nothing overtly complex about this scent and that's part of of the reason it's so delicious. Just perfect cheesecake.

Now, I must get back to inhaling.