Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

Beaver Moon 2005

Traditionally, Beaver Moon is named thus for a very obvious reason: during this time of year, beavers are hard at work building their dams and preparing for the onset of winter. Because it was too hard to resist, BPAL’s Beaver Moon is sillier, sleazier, and full of camp. This scent is of cheesecake and cupcakes, more in line with its cheekier connotations, and really hasn’t a damn thing to do with Luna at all!

Hmm - how'd Beth get the cheesecake squished into the bottles? In the bottle it's perfectly cheesecakely goodness, and the New York kind, not the fake kind they have the mixes for. On my arm...it's kind of weirdly sour. I really wanted to like this one but unless there's some bloody amazing morphing about to happen, I'm thinking no. WHY are foodie scents so fickle on me - why?

In the vial:

Mmm that tart sweetness that you find in cheesecake and red velvet cake!

On me:

Wet, this goes on at first like that tangy sweetness I mentioned above but almost immediately settles into more of a cupcake smell.

Then, right back to a tangy sweet quality but this time it's cream cheese frosting! All this morphing and it's not even dry yet!

When it is dry though I find myself a little disappointed at my skin's reaction. Which is:

a) to turn into a slightly sweet but slightly nutty smell. For some reason my skin just does this with some sweet scents, it seems so random to me but it does happen

:P eat the scent

I can barely smell it now and I did apply rather liberally. I can see where some people get a little bit of cinnamon at the end too because I am getting it now. It's quite faint and definitely a "red hots" cinnamon. So candy-ish.

Final note:

The drydown ends up like cupcakes on me but it's just so faint - I can barely smell it with my nose against my skin. The initial stage of this scent is so great, if only it stayed that way on me!

I can understand the appeal for most people though who aren't having the issues I'm having!

Sweet, almost sugared vanilla, with a tiny kick of mellow spice, it's strong at first, but quickly fades to a just-barely-sticky, but almost 'warm skin scent'…

I don’t mean ‘warm skin’, as in ‘skin musk either’ (that turns into a vulgar baby powder assault on me, as does anything described as having ‘flushed skin’), but in the sense that Beaver Moon smells like it could, almost just be the scent of my own personal skin, but with a little extra heat and a touch of sweetness.

I feel like the initial slight sharpness is something similar to what cocoa butter or coconut oil gives off, and somehow that creates or contributes to the sense Beaver Moon gives me of my own skin, with a bit of heat, once the initial bite fades, just because it keeps the creaminess from getting too bland or too sticky-sweet.

I just have enough to try a few times, but if I had even a tiny bit more, I’d make a massage bar out of this in a heartbeat. :P

When I first took a whiff of this I was a little disappointed-it smelled cloyingly sweet, not usually what I wear. I tried it anyway. After about half an hour it dried down into a light vanilla scent, accented with a bit of chocolate and a touch of cinnamon to make it interesting. And it is just last-a very intriguing scent that is not overpowering that will not enter a room before I do. :P

Starts off smelling like cake batter scented plastic. Unfortunately, this stage continues as an already-weak scent continues to die. After a while I can smell something sweet and faintly cakelike when I press my nose into my wrist. Unfortunately, this stage of the scent is way too weak to merit actually wearing it. Due to the initial plastic scent, I don't think I could stand slathering this. On to someone whose skin doesn't totally eat this.

In vial: strawberry cheesecake!

Wet: Definitely cheesecake, rich, sweet, and designed to go right to your hips. I can even smell the graham cracker crust! Talk about irony: Graham crackers were invented to stifle sexual urges.

Drydown: This stays the same: strawberry cheesecake with a graham cracker crust. So fun!

It's about time I reviewed this scent! This is a rich, foody, creamy and sugary sweet blend, as you may guess from the description. Oddly enough, Midway is the only scent that comes to mind as comparison, but Beaver Moon is much more and there's no dusty scent to it at all. I love this and I'm finally going to be able to start wearing it more regularly!

I don't get any strawberries at all. Then again, I don't get specific foody components out of it. Just sweetness and richness.

ETA: Is there cassia in Beaver Moon? I just got a bit and it sort of smells like cassia. :P

Edited by cordia

Wet: Vanilla frosting, basically. Pretty strong, with lots of throw.

First on: It seems to alternate between a vague creamcheese and frosting.

Dry: It dries and my skin has sucked up most of it, but what's left is sort of a plasticky vanilla. I'll wait a bit longer to see if it morphs though...

Nope. I waited. And waited. This just goes to a vague, flat sort of plasticky sugar smell. Guess I'll swap my imp. :P

Got a full bottle of this at a Meet n' Sniff. Swiped it liberally wif a q-tip.

Bottle: fresh cream cheese frosting, with a little bit of dryness, like cake dough.

Wet: that creamy sugar is still around, but the doughy is going a little weird. Not plasticky, just very dry milk. More like stale cooky smell.

Dry: stale milk-ish, with an undernote smell that makes me think of what sugar-scented plastic would smell like.

It's interesting, and it does smell like cheesecake, through and through, all the way to the dry crust and the plastic-sweet smell I tend to associate with cheesecake. Not interesting enough to wear, even for a gourmand lover like me. I like richer scents, like Gluttony or Freak Show. That and it faded pretty fast to that vague plastic smell.

To ze swapz with ye, Beaver!

I love this scent! It's cupcakes! :P Pure delicious cupcakes. No plasticky weirdness, and oddly enough, no cheeseecake at all.

Some cakey scents turn weird on my skin, but this one is just perfect. Mmmmm....

I tried a decant of Beaver Moon a long time ago, and I thought it smelled like burnt sugar on me. I liked Midway better than the burnt sugar scent, so I figured I'd give up on Beaver Moon. However, I was lured back into trying it because I really wanted to smell the cheesecake/cupcake scent, so I tried a different decant, months later. I liked it the second time. A lot.

When I first put it on it smells quite cakey, and then it goes through a weird cinnamon stage, and then it settles back into the scent of vanilla-frosted cupcakes. It doesn't quite give up that spice (cinnamon? cassia? I'm not sure), but when it's dry the cake part is stronger than the spice part.

When I sniff my wrist up close, I kinda don't like it that much. It's too spicy. But if I don't have my nose right next to my wrist and I'm just getting wafts of scent from time to time, I enjoy it a lot. I don't wear foody scents now nearly as much as I did a year ago, but I still wear this one. It smells so yummy I can't resist.

Yuuuuuuuuum. I almost this had a little more throw, but overall it smells just delicious. I'm just glad that it didn't do the "dry cake" that a lot of BPAL cake scents do on me. This went very right. It actually reminds me of Monsterbait: Closet without the blackberry. Oh I can't wait to wear it in my scent locket tomorrow.

Please of please bring Beaver Moon back this year! :P

Edited by Teggy

This is like walking through a bakery! Wet, it's all vanilla cake, and that stage lasts a while. Then I get a sort of cinnamon phase (not a hot, burning cinnamon -- a very foody cinnamon), which is fairly brief; then the vanilla's back, accompanied by coconut. You know, you're entering the bakery by its front door, and then walking all the way into the back to have a meeting with your wedding cake decorator, or something, and you pass absolutely every variety of delicious that they make.

Earlier today, I wrote of MB: biggerCritters that you could cause a riot in any office by walking through at about 11:30 am wearing it. That is equally true of Beaver Moon -- and I don't know why this Lunacy is so foody, except maybe that so are the Enraged Mammal Musks a bit, and this is a mammal -- but whatever the cause, this is faboo! :P

I avoided Beaver Moon when it was released, I remember ordering the Yule scents and wanting nothing to do whatsoever with cheesecake or cupcakes. I never looked back and never regretted my decision... Until recently, as I've found that not all foody scents are objectionable on me. In fact, if there's no "butter" note, and no nuts, it can work quite well.

So after sniffing this a couple of times one thing became clear to me: whenever I smelled it, I'd smile. It just made me happy. I hate cheesecake, but I don't smell it at all in here. I do however love cupcakes, and frosting. And I'm quite OK with smelling like that. For one thing, it warms in a lovely way on my skin but stays true to that initial scent of pure, sweet, white cupcake frosting. Never sticky, never buttery. And it still makes me smile all the time.

There's a stage, after wearing it a short while, where I get a hint of something like cinnamon and I can also imagine that there is a hint of something berrylike (currant?) that is a known smile-inducer for me.

So there you have it. A renowned foody scent-hater, smiling like crazy and delighted as hell to have a bottle of the One That Got Away...the best darned cupcake smellin' scent you'll ever lay hands on. And that'll learn me again to never pass up a lunacy.

Holy cow! For once I actually smell something similar to what others smell! Whee. I seem to never pick up the same responses as most people who post, but this time, it's a spot-on match: this really is red velvet cake. And i'm also kind of surprised that with my unsophisticated nose, I could smell something that defined.

It's really wonderful. I was a little nervous about buying a rare foodie scent untried, but after hearing about it for so long, my curiosity won out, and I don't regret it.

Except for the part where now I want red velvet cake, like, now :P .

Delicious!!!

Wet, it smells like cake mix before you pop it in the oven. Moist, vanilla, doughy goodness. On the skin, it acquires a slightly cheesy aroma, like the creamcheese frosting others have compared it to. On the dry down, I smell cupcakes and occasionally the vanilla frosting aspect. Less of the vanilla cheesecake I got at first. I am sitting at my desk at work typing and a coworker just walked by and said, "Do you have cookies? I smell cookies!" I told her it was my fragrance and man, did she look disappointed.

Personally, I like smelling like cupcakes. IF you do also, get your hands on some. I am considering putting this particular oil on a part of my anatomy I would like my boyfriend to taste! Gives an interesting connotation to the name, doesn't it?

There is only one tiny drawback to this oil. The more I wear it, the more I want to eat some cupcakes, cake, or cookies! Probably not good if you are on a diet!

Creamcheese frosting -- sweetness with a tang, and absolutely delicious. Amazing lasting power too -- well over 8 hours since last application and still going strong, even though it settles into a dryer, more cakey smell after a couple of hours. Yum.

In the imp: mm, cakey! and a cheesecake tang, which is a little offputting with the sweetness but we shall see.

On me, wet: lots of red, moist, berrylicious vanilla sponge cake.

On me, dry: mm, vanilla and cake. Man, that is very foody and sweet - it reminds me of Eat Me, but less berryish.

Verdict: I'm glad I got to try this, and it's quite nice, but I am unlikely to ever wear it.

I'm so pleased I finally got to try this out and I am quite a foody lover, but this? Doesn't work. It reminds me of Eat Me in the way that I'd rather be wearing that right now. Wet the cheesecake made me feel a bit sick, dry it's less strong, but still there. I can smell some spices, but there's just something that's keeping me from loving it.

In bottle: It's sweet. Foody. Dessert sweet and foody, all right. Smells of vanilla cake.

On me: Food scents never turn out well on me. *worries as she waits a bit before sniffing* It's foody and cakey and I'm not sure it's nice on my skin. It's lighter than Eat Me was when I wore it... *ponders and asks husband's opinion* It's a no-go.

I am so happy to be able to try this scent (and can't wait to compare it to the new version).

In the imp: Vanilla frosting. YUM.

Wet: This turns quickly sharp, just like a few other foody blends (Eat Me and MB: Closet for starters). Beaver Moon is more pleasant to my nose during this phase, perhaps because it's less fruit and more sugary vanilla goodness.

Dry: Tangy buttercream frosting, freshly spread on a warm vanilla cupcake. This stuff lasts ages on my skin, and it's great.

This is really a fun blend and worth tracking down to try at least. Cheesecakes and cupcakes - need I say more? I swapped away my bottle, though; I just don't want to smell like that as a general rule. But it was fun for a lark.

I tried this one when it first came out. I am not a big cheesecake person, but I had to try it. (loved the name and idea of it) When I got it the smell was spot on cheesecake. You know that kinda sour, kinda sweet smell. So I swapped it off.

Then just last month I found a bottle and thought i would give it another go. This time I ADORE IT! Maybe it the aging of it, but it's more of a mellow butter cream.

Keeper!

dang, but i've been waiting for this to show up- and now it's here! yippie!

in the bottle: holy CRAP this is just. like. cheesecake.

wet on skin: the cheesecake remains and now i'm picking out a perfect graham cracker crust under it. how DOES beth do it?!?!?

dry down: a ginger spice element emerges giving a full impression of a pumpkin cheesecake situation and oh GOD is this making me hungry :attempts to chew on arm without success:

in all: more please? :P

Well, count me as one of the few who prefers the 2007 version!

In the bottle, 05 is creamy, slightly fruity, and slightly cakey...

On my skin, it reminds me of a fruit-scented plastic toy I used to own. I wish I could recall what the toy was, as this is spot-on. Weirdly, this scent starts out quite faint on me, but grows stronger as time passes. It doesn't smell any less like plastic, though.