Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
paperdoll

Forbidden Fruit

As light and innocent as your first time should have been. The fresh scent of lotus hidden behind lightly scented flowers, amber, and citrus.

In the bottle: bubblegum

Wet: bubblegum, fruit, and something kind of earthy. Very mild -- Ken had to put his nose right up to my wrist to smell it, even after I'd just put it on.

Dry: bubblegum fades, leaving fruitiness and a bit of earthiness. Very very mild. Not bad -- I like the earthy note -- but not especially what I want to wear. I'm not a fan of fruity scents. Plus I'd have to put on an awful lot of it to make it at all noticeable. It's the first BPAL blend I've tried that Ken's been unenthusiastic about.

In Bottle: Very floral. A bit of lilac I think.

On Skin: The citrus is very light in this, the florals overpower the scent. The amber is also a bit silent. I want to smell fruit in this because of the name, but there are no fruity notes in this. It’s abit too floral for me sadly, but pretty nonetheless. Very springlike…

Now I see why everyone always says lotus smells like bubblegum.

This is pure, bubblegummy lotus on me, wet and dry. I don't get any citrus, or florals - just gum. (Actually, there's a tiiiny, very subtle hint of something spicy at the edges -- I'm guessing that's the amber.) Not luscious, juicy, gum, the dusty light pink kind that comes as tape. I'm not particularly crazy about it, to be honest.

Edited by tarantulove

Fruity bubblegum, initially. I must admit, I have no idea what lotus smells like--maybe this is it?

Ahhh I'm starting to smell the soapy florals now! Stealth soap! :P :D

This scent is too sharp and Hi-C-like =( very "bleh"

Lotus: heavy floral, at first. Thick, rather overwhelming. The heaviness of the floral settles soon, though, and other floral notes emerge. This seems like a high summer scent: too heavy for spring/early summer, and too floral for any other time of year. By the dry stage, not so extremely summery. Can be springy, as it softens to a bouquet of soft flowers and fruit.

In the bottle: Lotus. Very clearly lotus as well as slightly floral and a little citrus. No real amber yet but then I'm never very good at spotting amber in blends. At least this has given up the rotting fruit smell it had yesterday when I sniffed it.

Wet: Lotus. Pink bubblegum. I feel bubble yummy. Lotus. Sometimes you're just too much.

Dry down: Still bubblegum but now with a citrus tang to the back of it. The mixture is somewhat unpleasant on my skin. In fact, this takes on a slightly rotting fruit/bubblegum smell on me the longer it sits on my skin. Not terribly pleasant. Only. Hmmm...now the strong bubblegum is dying down and the citrus is more prominent except that....I don't know. This is...sometimes lotus is just so bubblegum on me. Sometimes it works really well but at others it's iffy.

Dry: Citrus pink bubblegum. Tart and sweet at the same time but not in a good way. At least, it's not a good way for my skin to smell. The florals are making something more of an appearance now but this still has that overly bubblegum scent that does not really appeal to me. Lotus and I have a love/hate relationship. I love Cold Moon. I can't say that I hate...oh, wait, what are you doing now? No, still bubblegum. Just amber/floral bubblegum now. Washing off.

Forbidden Fruit

In the imp: fruit bubblegum!! bubblegum, but there's also a soft floral aspect…must be the lotus.

Wet on skin: this reminds me of something I smelt at the Body Shop-either their new lotus and frangipani bath cream or the monoi oil-I wonder if there's gardenia and/or frangipani in this too? This is so sweet and yummy, soft florals and candy like fruit. It's an innocent and cutesy smell-no bad thing.

Dry on skin: the florals become prominent…this is a gorgeous blend that reminds me of lush tropical blooms and sweets. This is so light and so sweet, but more than just bubblegum-I think this blend is bringing out the floral-ness of the lotus as well as the candy sweetness. It also reminds me of a lovely sun lotion my mum bought some time ago.

After a while: I'm wondering if there's jasmine here as well. This isn't really 'fruity' as the name suggests, but it develops into a beautiful exotic floral blend. I'm guessing there's frangipani, honeysuckle, gardenia or jasmine in this, or all of these, or maybe there's something that brings out a more developed lotus scent.

Verdict: this makes me feel so girly and young, it's a lovely and innocent feminine scent of sweet fruity candy, which then changes to a beautiful and more sensual exotic floral smell-lotus with probably some other flowers, this becomes stronger as time goes by. This reminds me of sun lotion, but in a good way-it reminds me of summer holidays, and would be perfect for summer. Apart from Black Lotus, I love BPAL's lotus blends, this one's no exception.

Edited by yeahbutnobut

Very sweet in the bottle, on my skin it's intensely fruity-sweet-bubblegum. After an hour it's turned to very faint musk.

Forbidden Fruit

In the bottle: Amber!!!!!! Uh oh….this is not a good sign. On my skin it’s much prettier, though wet I still get a lot of amber. I don’t get much citrus from this at all, mostly just amber and flowers. It’s very pretty, though the amber is way too strong for me.

Rating (on skin): 1/5

Summarised in a word or two: Little girl-ish.

In the imp/bottle: Very faint amber, bright florals, and soft, light citrus.

On skin, wet: Dominant notes are amber and citrus, and a sweet floral note.

On skin, dry: This is a very sweet, floral amber, in the end. The amber note doesn't really do much for me in this blend, but I do like the citrus and floral.

Conclusion: This is quite pretty, but very "little girl"-ish on me. If I were girly, and twelve, I'd jump all over this.

Edited by Aredhel

In bottle: Citrusy and floral. Crossing my fingers against the anti-lotus vibe.

On Skin: Over-ripe fruit. :D

On Drydown: Bubblegum?!?! I'm going to have to side with the people that aren't keen on lotus. Or rather, it isn't keen on me. It smells like a weird combination of over-ripe fruit and too sweet bublegum. :P

Verdict: This so doesn't work for me. To the swap pile!

Bottle (Imp): This smells musky to me. I was totally expecting some pretty sweet smell, and this is dark and musky.

Just On: The muskiness lessens, and it gets a bit of sweetness to it. It's still far less innocent than I figured it would be.

An hour or two later: It's kind of a musky sweet, and almost neutral to my nose. I don't know how to describe that, just neutral is the only word I can think of.

Around 6 hours: It's fading away, but staying the same.

12 hours: It's all gone now.

Overall: It starts out pretty musky, then starts to turn into fruit as it wears. It does better and better until it's gone, but it kinda creeps me out just a little. I may have to try this one again later and see if it changes.

After reading other reviews: I didn't really get any flowers or citrus out of this one. And I see I'm not the only one who ran into a muck or dark smell, so it wasn't my imagination.

First sniff: Utter innocence. Watery citrus sweetness.

Wearing: Fruity fruity! I’m pleased that FF doesn’t smell like citrus bubblegum. It’s nice, but doesn’t last long.

First when I sniffed it in the bottle I loved it...then on dry down it turns this powdery sickening floral scent...sort of like a a bad scented candle. I really thought it would work on me...being that I like florals and fruits and aqua scents...but something in it just ick..I think I am going to blame the amber. Its ashame I really liked the name. I will keep it around till after I have my babies in hopes that it is just my hormones that bad this one go bad.

In bottle: Very very sweet. Lotus is candy-like, and the citrus is rich and dripping. This is not a light fragrance; I find it rather cloying and sickening.

On me: While this doesn't go to rotton, positively nasty fruit on me, as it does on my brother (Bless him, he thinks it's great, and nothing my mother begs will change his mind) it isn't a particularly great fragrance on me, either. Oranges and amber, with that lotus. It's quite syrupy; there's nothing fresh about it, for it has the scent of jams and preserves.

This is surprisingly musky. Very sweet on first application, but as it is drying down I like it more and more. It is fruity and sweet, but with a bit of musk and amber to make it not sickly or cough syrup. I still can't quite decide whether to buy a bottle or not, but I am very pleasantly surprised. It suits the name too - Fruity and sweet, but a little naughty as well :P

I liked this back in 2005, but it smells really different in its new variations (nothing I tried from bpal a couple years ago actually smells the same today.. I guess the notes vary a lot when they reorder them). Forbidden Fruit in 2005 was creamy flowers, warm and powdery amber, bubblegummy lotus and a whiff of cheery citrus. My 2012 imp of this smells like sickly sweet, watery, fruity-floral (almost like aquatic, grapes and white florals) and tons of baby powder. Bleh.

Edited by Little Bird

Forbidden Fruit

Watery with a fruity note behind it. Smells like fresh running water with just the lightest hint of fruit punch. That must be the lotus. As it dries, a warmer note is coming out. It is now mostly fruit and amber with just a hint of a watery note. After it dries for a while, it is all fruit. Light, sweet fruit punch. This is how I expected Lush's Angel's Delight to smell.

I agree with the person back on page 1 who said that wet, this smells like Juicy Fruit gum.

Unfortunately, for me, that phase doesn't entirely go away on drydown. It's a bit sharper and darker than the wet phase, and there are lurking undercurrents, but - this is too candy/sugar for me, and there's something off here that's making my head hurt. It wants to morph into something rich and warm, and something in the blend won't let it. (Or, more likely, my chemistry.)

Amber never comes out to play for me, which is a shame, as amber usually loves my skin. Sadly, it has met its match.

This one's going in the swap pile.

Wet - Forbidden Fruit smells sweet and a little fruit with light florals. As it dries the sweet and citrus fades back and mixes with the florals. Unfortunately, after a bit longer it all goes sour on me. It did smell nice, but even when I smelt nice - it still wasn't for me.

My Impression: Although the lab describes this as light & innocent as your first time should have been, Lotus is screaming out of the bottle while wet on this one.

Fortunately after drydown it settles down to a softer more discreet floral that is quite appealing actually.

In the bottle, it's super super sweet, almost sickenly so. But after I've applied it & it has had a chance to dry down a bit, it's sweet lotus with a hint of vanilla. I can't really pick out the citrus in this. It's nice, not a favorite, but I'm sure I'll use up the imp.

Wet on me this was some sort of citrus fruit, probably mandarin and a the bubblegum scent of the lotus. Dry it was completely lovely sweet bubblegum. I think this will make a good replacement when I use up my Glitter :P .

In bottle: very floral, fruity and sweet; something in there smells like bubble gum

Wet: Bazooka bubble gum--powdery and candyish. Overwhelming on my skin

Dry: the florals come out more, but there's still that bubble gum scent to it that I can't seem to shake. It lingered for several hours.