Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

The sticky sweet scent of candy corn! Even cornier for 2009! - cuz corny is how we roll at BPAL!

So out of the entire update this was the one I was most excited about. I have a bottle of the original and I love it and have always wondered what it smelled like fresh. Even though I knew this wouldn't be exactly the same, I had to try it.

When I sniffed this in the bottle I was...surprised and not really in a good way. It smelled boozy and too sweet. So sad and a little afraid to try it.
Well, after letting it sit on the table for a few hours, I kept looking at it. Even though I had intended on waiting a couple days, I just couldn't help myself. I had to know. So a bit hesitantly I apllied a little on the back of my hand and held my breath. I was really hoping it wouldn't make me ill.
So I took a sniff and....

omg......

what is this???

It is DELICIOUS. All the booze and sickening sweetness went away and I was left with the most unbelievable foody scent. It smells like yummy snickerdoodles and candy corn. OMG. This is really heavenly, I can't even tell you. This smells like why I gain weight during fall.
After it dries further down, the cookie scent fades a bit and it smells more like candy corn with a hint of spice. Yet there is something that makes this more than just a foody scent. I don't know what it is, but it makes the blend very wearable. I'm usually more of a smoky/musky/incense girl (with some coconut during the summer), but I will be wearing this alot, esp. once the weather begins to cool.

I can't tell you how much I love this one. :wub2: Need. Many. Bottles.

It just makes me happy. :D Edited by Shollin

When I compare Trick or Treat 2005 to Trick or Treat 2009, they are overall very similar. However, the former is more smooth and sweet, and the latter is more warm and has just a tiny hint of autumn spice in it. And yes, it's a little more "corny" as Beth said in her update.

I really do love both, but I think the 2009 version would win out over the older version. :)

I've never tried the '05 version, but the '09 edition sniffing the bottle is kind of sickly smelling---sort of like something sweet that has spoiled in the fridge. It kind of made me not want to try it on my skin.

I did finally skin test several hours after my first whiff from the bottle and it is much better once applied.

On my skin, it's definitely foody. I get vanilla glaze and cookies out of this blend. It's really not smelling candy corn, but I still like it.

I think I'm going to let this one sit for a month or so until we get closer to Halloween and see what it smells like then.

Trick or Treat 2009

In the bottle: Wow, smells like I opened a can of sweet corn...and then spilled a bottle of corn whisky in it!

Ok, now that I let air out a bit: Very sweet corn!

On me: sweet boozy corn that's been made into corn cake. Now (after drying) it's turned candy corn, expensive, upscale candycorn (if such a thing existed).

I am in LOVE with how corny this smells in the imp. My only wish is that it would stay that way on my skin, and not fade down to slightly sweet spice and vanilla. I hope age will make a different. That corn note will be mine!!

This is one of my surprise favorites. I get no corn. Just snicker-doodles and it's amazing. Spicy and sweet sugar cookies. Very smooth, very very yummy. I'm going to need a bottle of this.

2009 version.

I smelled the corn at first, but, when it dried all that was left was an incensy sugar(there's at least one sugar note that turns into incense, almost, on my skin), and a tiny tiny whiff of the corn. I like it fairly well, but, I don't know that I need a bottle of it.

2009 version:

This smells like maple syrup and cinnamon and caramel and almost a hint of pumpkin.

It's freakin delicious!! Nothing at all like candy corn but it's warm and sweet and very foody.

Someone upthread mentioned snickerdoodle cookies. Yup. Yum.

I love this!!

Edited by AEris

In the bottle: holy sweet corn, Batman. Real corn, too. Like...like creamed corn with sugar. Wow.

Wet: more sugar, less corn. Probably a good thing, because while the corn smell is certainly unique, I don't know that I'd want to walk around smelling like it.

Dry: snickerdoodles? Yup. Another vote for the cookie camp. Maple syrup, cinnamon, sugar, and spice. (The boyfriend response: "maple sugar oatmeal cookies?!" followed by "...you shouldn't wear this, unless you're making cookies, because that's just mean.")

Oh. My. God.

YUM.

I am not a fan of candy corn. I think it's hilarious and very Halloweenie and if I was in a country where it was more readily available and that celebrated Halloween, I would have at least one huge bowl of it in the house come October. But I'm not in love with the taste or smell or texture when eaten.

This is NOTHING like that. MAPLE SYRUP!! Delicious, sugary maple syrup!!!! With a hint of something I can't guess, perhaps cinnamon.... but soooo good.

Think I'm going to have to get me a bottle of this bad boy.

Its wonderfully sweet with an edge of smokyness, I realllyyy like it. It envokes a sence of fall beautifully while not being foody. This is probrably a bottle for me! 5/5

ToT 2009

In the decant: Of the many, many BPAL blends I have sniffed, I have never had one that made me gag. Not even outright repulsion. But Trick or Treat literally had me fighting to keep my waffles down. Couldn't close the decant fast enough. Apparently creamed corn + candy corn = gag reflex for me.

After a break, I decided to try it on, and steadfastly avoided sniffing it until it was dry. Aaaanndd...

On: Skin chemistry strikes again! This is pure cinnamon on me. No corn. No sugar. Just cinnamon. And what's even weirder is that it's fading fast, which never happens with cinnamon on me. -head scratch-

Overall: Hehe, this was worth it just for the experience. Can't say I will ever be wearing it again, though. I'll pass this decant on to a more loving home. :P

The pure corn note of this one straight out of the imp is a little unexpected and weird, but the candy-corn aspect of it pops up almost instantly as it begins to dry. Smells exactly like candy corn to me, with a maple-y touch. Yummy! I'm not sure if I need to smell like this on a regular basis but it's a fun scent.

I wish I got candy corn from this, but this smells like a drugstore candle in "spicy harvest blend." It has a cheap, common bent to it.

2009 version:

In bottle: Creamed corn?

Wet: Wow, this is delicious. The corn part fades, and the candy corn is love!

Dry: Uh... what happened here? It's pure cinnamon. Crap. It's STUCK to my skin, and it's cinnamon. I tried to wait this one out, I really did, but it wasn't gonna happen.

Well, I'm beginning to think I need to give the Trick or Treats a rest. Neither works for me.

Trick or Treat 2009:

It was slightly corny in the vial, almost syrupy. However, as soon as I put it on, it turned into a very heavily cinnamon-spiced version of Sugar Cookie. It had that same sort of sweet thick cookie baked goods vibe, but the spice here was quite strong. As it dried, I was left with nothing but cinnamon in the end.

This was okay, but smelled nothing like I had imagined and ended up being too similar to scents I like better.

2009 version

ive only tried this version, so nothing to compare it to. it has a bit of candy corn smell to it, but really it smells like maple syrup. i think of it as "IHOP" oil. i like it, and love it when i put it on with a touch of one of the chocolate scents(i'm a candy fiend!).

now i want to track down the older ones...

In imp: how odd! BPAL Sugar Cookie (which always smells of golden syrup to me) and puréed sweetcorn!

Wet on skin: Sugar Cookie ... slightly burnt Sugar Cookie ... moving towards rancid Sugar Cookie ...

Dry on skin: burnt Sugar Cookie. Shame.

Candy, corn and spice. Whatever spice is inside seems to caramelize the candy and all I get is burnt sugar notes ala Sugar Skull, Butter Rum Cookie, Sticky Pillowcase and Lawn Gnome. Now I'am kinda pissed that I ordered a bottle blindly.

lightly spiced cake. No candy corn at all. It's an excellent cakey scent to add to the collection.

Ermm... I'm writing this under duress from olfactory trauma.

Trick or Treat '09 should work on me, but it doesn't. :( At first it was a yummy candy corn, but quickly it changed into something like what a can of out-of-date sweet corn that has been left open for a couple days might smell like. It's sweet, almost syrupy, but it's got this rancidness to it that is literally making me sick to my stomach. It's right on the borderline of it might work out, but it just can't fall over to the Treat side of its name. I honestly want to wash it off badly, but I'm going to hold out for a bit longer. I think I've only ever washed off a half dozen scents from all the scents I've tried, but boy is this pushing my limits. It is definitely eliciting a very strong reaction in me. lol

Will edit if anything changes.

Trick or Treat 2009

In Bottle: Omg horribly horribly sweet. But I also hate candy corn.

Wet on Skin: It has at least mellowed out, more of a creamy candy scent now.

Dry Down: Stay the same, a much lighter sweet treat.

Dry on Skin: This is way more creamy than in the bottle. Nice, but I don't think I'd ever wear it.

Overall: 3/5 Pretty good, if you like sweet scents.

In the vial it smells like a can of creamed corn, but on my skin it's pure cinnamon. Weird!