Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A snarling, feral scent, ever-so-slightly deranged: hot leather, opoponax, cedar, pine needle, mosses, dry grass, patchouli and cinnamon bark.

Geek is green, and quite sweet, but not sickly sweet. A pleasant, sharp sweet, if that makes sense. I picture this being gooey and green in appearance and consistance.

I can definitely see how this is 'snarly', too. When I put it on this morning, I felt ready to go, more upbeat and far less down than yesterday.

Geek is also one of those odd scents that smells rather feminine on me, but I can tell would be wonderfully masculine on a man.

This is all sharp, dirty patchouli and pine on me. My skin just doesn't get along will some patchouli blends, although there are a few exceptions. It's very masculine smelling to me, and it just doesn't work with my skin chemistry.

Wet: Usually, most of the notes in this scent work on me. But this is just… off… somehow. I pick up the notes, but "deranged" fits them well - either the opponax doesn't agree with me, or it's just the way these don't quite blend together for me that doesn't work.

Dry-down: What's going on here? I'd already written this off as not working, but it's blending nicely now... I think I need to change this to a like!

Dry: Where'd it go? Rats. Ah, well. Appropriately named, but not something I'm going to be wearing on a regular basis.

Wet: Smells like aftershave. Not unpleasant, but I'm questioning the long-term use of this scent. Patchouli AMPS on me so that's all I can smell at the moment.

Drydown: Ooh this is getting lovely! A warm scent, green and plant-y but without being herbal.

Dry: Hubba hubba! Sexy woods lifted by a little spice. A rather more masculine scent than I'm used to, but perfect for when I'm either PMSing or just in the mood to feel powerful. Rawr!

Final verdict: 5/5

A sexy cedar and pine blend, made fun by cinnamon bark, and darkened by opopanax.

Edit: Just wanted to say that this has become my favourite scent ever. Period. I guard my bottle-and-a-bit with my life.

Edited by Jenesis

Geek is goddamn gorgeous! True, anything with leather works just fine for me, but this is honestly so wonderful. I love the warm woodsy scent before the leather kicks in and even then the leather doesn't take over, everything just mingles happily together. Most certainly yum!

Bottle: (Imp) Hey look, patchouli.

Wet: Cedar! and patchouli. Getting a bit of the grasses too. Hey look, hint of pine.

Dry: I'm not getting any leather. A bit of apple-cinnamon, but kinda.. meh.

Verdict: Not doing it for me. Swap/sell pile.

This was probably among the first scents I tried. It gave me an inkling that Tintagel later confirmed: I don't wanna smell like anything even remotely leathery. It was very masculine and cologne-y on me, too, which I didn't care for at all.

GEEK

Wet: Leather, soft pine, and a touch of cinnamon.

Dry: I get mostly leather and opoponax. It's strong and hot, very sexy, and the patchouli adds a nice backdrop to the other notes. I love the spice of the cinnamon bark.

This is an amazingly sexy scent and while it's a bit too strong for me, my husband LOVES it and I love it on him. :P

I got to try this imp through the Civet Evangelism Sniffing Circle courtesy of Cranberry! I've tried this before, and have a decant of my own, but since this is the decant that's going to be passed around, this is the decant I'm going to test. Plus, maybe my nose will smell something different today. I liked it okay before...

in imp: slightly soapy cologne, but dark.

on wet: 7:10 - cedar, cologne, wet leather & bitter smoke

drydown: 7:30 - mostly a dark, sinister, bitter men's cologne, a bit spicy, a bit cedar, a lot of hot wet leather, and some tobacco or incense smoke.

8:30 - this one actually doesn't change all that much on me, simply becoming a bit dryer and a bit spicier - the grass and mosses coming out? A masculine murky cologne with cedar, leather & spice. Not quite to the edge of sweat smelling. It's nice, actually.

Edited to add Civet Evangelism pimpage!

Edited by Sealgair

:P

i was frimped a decant of this by a very generous forumite. and I am grouchy from a long day at work, and trying not to dwell on the fact that I think I LOVE this.

On me, it is LEATHER. and BPAL's leather note LOVES me. damn it.

in imp: patchouli with a hint of spice.

wet on skin: leathery spicy loveliness. there's something odd though--it definitely seems SNARLY! just like the description. but not SNARLY like, get down and dirty with someone hot--SNARLY like a crazy person or wild animal. I really like it, though--very evocative. It's also staying warm on my skin, too. Not warm enough to tingle, but warmer than my other hand.

drydown: yep. leather, with patchouli playing second fiddle. my skin AMPS patchouli, and the leather is really keeping it under control. the cinnamon bark is in the background.

I'm trying to tell myself the only reason I like it is because I can't find it anymore, but I really do think it's awesome.

drat.

in a nutshell: spicy, leathery patchouli, with very subtle florals keeping it from smelling dirty. :D

Cranberry geeks out, on behalf of the Civet Evangelism Circle:

In the imp this smells like leather, then a little patchouli, then a little somp'in somp'in else.

On it begins that bright fresh thing, then hits mostly with leather and patchouli.

I'm begining to detect a pattern with the civet-y scents. It seems to be pared a lot with patchouli and seems to always carry a bit of cedar, fir, pine or woodsy scent along with it. Of course, the results all tend to be quite different, which is the fun thing. :P

A bright leather & patchouli. Very nice!

ETA: By bright I don't mean that the scent of the leather is that very fresh leather, but rather that there's a brightness to the scent irrespective of the leather and patchouli which ground it. It darkens and sweetens slightly later on.

Edited by SueDonym

I just can't wear the Lab's leather note in anything. It's apparently one of my death notes; even the faintest hint makes me smell like I'm sporting Eau de Rotten Beef. Smeared on my favorite guy friend, though, this is the absolute sex.

In Vial: Strong perfumed wood

Wet: A bit masculine, aged cologne and wood.

Dry: This is a complex scent but has become quite sexy. I can't stop smelling my wrist.

On the bottle, Geek is very woodsy and masculine, maybe a bit inscency.

On my skin, the thing amps leather like you wouldnt beleive.

This is definitely a masculine scent, no and's if's or but's about it. Very sexy scent for a guy.

Sadly, I'll have to pass on it :P

This was sweeter than I expected. I got pine, leather and aged cologne. Part of me reminded me to Doc Buzzard - but sweeter and less leathery.

Hmmm. I might have to put this on the husband.

holy CRAP i love geek. i cannot stop smelling myself. it's woodsy and feral and marvelous. mmmmm!

I still can't believe how generous samarablackcat was to frimp this to me. And it's freaking amazing!!! Every goddamn thing I hoped it would be. Thick and amber smelling with a honeyed sap tinge. Reminds me of an even sexier Doc Constantine which I didn't think was possible. Lots of grass and pine needle for me. This I will hoard like there's no tomorrow! Let the Geek-stalking commence :P

Mmmm, this is a very wintry scent, indeed! Pine needles and leather, the softest smidgen of cinnamon imaginable, something sweet lingering far in the background, the lightest wisp of patchouli. I agree that this is a fairly masculine scent and I think it would smell super hot on my boyfriend, so I might end up giving this partial bottle to him....or I might just keep it for me! lol. The pine is quite becoming!

ETA: My man loved this scent and slathered himself in it, and...ZOMG Hott!!!!! Irresistible hotness of Geek on the male species confirmed....

Edited by TheOneTheyCallLuna

What, I've never reviewed Geek?? :blink:

I loved this at first sniff, a couple years ago. It's kind of wild and....almost elegant, at the same time. Cinnamon bark is what stands out most, but even that is so well-blended it's more like a hint. Everything else is just seamless. As it dries, it actually gains strength, and lasts and lasts for hours. It's borderline too butch for me and not something I wear all the time. But when I'm in the mood, nothing else will do. I get a big golden/resiny backdrop to the spices, and hint of leather. It might be the dry grass combined with opoponax giving me the 'ambery' feeling. But there's no powder, like you might find in really resinous scents like Minotaur.

It fits in with the mood of Doc Constantine, and Fascinum, a little bit. I may be going out on a limb with those comparisons but they seem to be in the same family. Doc C. is the most subdued, Fascinum is the most brash, and Geek falls somewhere between them.

Back in the days when I felt my "sexiest" (say 23/24 y/o) I had this obsession with this cinnamon incense I was able to get at a co-op. It was a natural incense, not a sweet, candy type. It was the most sensual thing, it made me feel like supervixen! I also had a bondage obsession, and did alot of d.i.y. bondage gear (we wont get into that heh)

I bought this for hubby, imagine what that sexy leather/cinnamon combo did to me????

Wow this is SO sexy!!!

Why oh why are the best so hard to come by?? :cry2:

I am ridiculously thrilled to have scored a bottle of this!! Deranged indeed.. on me, it's all smoky sexy leather. The pine and mosses are hanging in the background, adding a slight twinge of green earthiness but the patchouli and cinnamon are on top. There's a waxy wood kinda thing going on here too, giving it all a lovely warm richness. It starts off quite masculine but softens up as it dries down.. after one hour on my skin it mellowed into a gorgeous woody leather.. and after another hour it's still there in pretty much the same style but starting to fade. I'd need to reapply this approx. every two hours to keep the spices, they're the notes that disappeared the most quickly when it was on my skin.

Do geeks really smell like this? Clearly I need to investigate that further.

I really like this. It's green. very very green, dirty, and natural. It's got a wet coolness to it from the juniper/pine whichever note this is. With a gritty sort of background going on, that Im going to attribute to patchouli. Everything put together makes this slightly masculine on the gender-scale, and very hippy on the dirty hippy - perfumey girl scale P:

It's nice in it's own right, but just a touch too much like good men's deodorant to wear daily. Unless you're a man. Then have at it, quite delicious.

This is a dark and spicy forest! I like this on me okay, but I am dying to smell it on my husband! The leather isn't sharp patent, but more of a supporting player. The pine isn't in your face either. The opoponax lends a sweet depth. For a little bit in the early stages, this takes on a distinct cologney vibe, but it mellows and smooths out pretty quickly. If Sin went through a naked run in the forest at midnight, this would be the smell you get.

At the beginning, this is really fascinating, unique blend of spice/wood/leather. It smells like the air as a bonfire is just starting.

I really liked the burst of pine, but it didn't stay long on me. The sweet cinnamon at the beginning was also awesome and a great accompanying note, but it also disappeared rather fast.

The cedar and patchouli threaten at a body odor and pencil shavings with my chemistry. My skin is just amping the wood notes, and not in the most pleasant way. Oh well, I won't be pining after Geek.

Geek

I definitely smell the leather, cedar and pine. There's also a very dusty element to this. At first, I really liked this and could see why it's so popular. But as it dries down, it's just so overwhelmingly dusty and piney. Ick. Pass.