Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A snarling, feral scent, ever-so-slightly deranged: hot leather, opoponax, cedar, pine needle, mosses, dry grass, patchouli and cinnamon bark.

I'm trying to review the CN scents that I've failed to for the resurrection.

Geek is just not me. Leather, first of all, overpowers all on me. Geek is just about 99% leather and this weird medicinal edge on me. It also smells a little smokey.

Anyway, no Geek for me this time around. It might smell OK on my guy, but I still don't know if I'd like it much.

For me, a 2 out of 5.

Imp: Woodsiness and pine. The moss and dry grasses really stand out, too. Its oh-so masculine sexy.

So, I tried it on my husband, first. Him:

Wet: Super leather, slightly soapy. On him, I can't smell the woods or spice, really. Dry, its smoky and leathery. This is not as fun on him as it was on me, unfortunately. And I much prefer the smokey sweet leather of Torture King when it comes to his wear. TK is more complex on him, and oh-so-sexy, so no need to get Geek.

Of course, I wouldn't be happy til I tried Geek on me, too:

Me:

Wet: A very evergreeny blend. Incredibly different than on my husband! He got all super leather and smoke, and I am getting pine-pine-pine--similar to the pine in jabberwocky. The pine mellows, and its much more smokey leather now, though the evergreen notes are still very apparent. Leather tanning on a pine branch?

Early Dry: The evergreen has fallen into the background, and now I'm getting oodles of leather. This leather, like others, goes sweet on me. Though this is definitely in-your-face leather, there is a sweet warm creaminess to this blend. I have no idea where its coming from--maybe opoponax, though I don't actually know what that is. Hhehe. But yes, this is a warm, slightly sweet leather blend now.

Late Dry: Creamy sweet opoponax (or so I assume), a hint of pencil shaving cedar, and sweet smoky leather. How this manages to smell sweet and rich and creamy while smelling of leather, I'm not quite sure, but its really pretty, and not too masculine for me anymore

Overall: A really wonderful complex blend. . This is really nice on me, but I know I wouldn't wear it. If it smelled like this on my hubby, I'd jump his bones. I'm glad I tried this, and I now understand why its such a hit!

In the bottle: Strong cedar, with patchouli. A heavy fragrance.

First on: You know, the cedar actually gets weaker on me when it's on. This can only be a good thing. When on, this scent is surprisingly sexy, all leather and salt and smoke. It is completely morphed from what was in the bottle... the cedar's only a bright note.

Dry: It smells smoky and burning, but the heavy cedar note didn't come back. This turned out a lot better than I expected. I'm keeping the imp.

I've really been surprised at the number of unfavorable reviews Geek has gotten. It's my absolutely favorite BPAL scent. Hell, it's my favorite scent of any kind, EVER. hehe I love it.

It's also my seduction scent. Any time I am planning to put the moves on someone, I slather on the Geek. Not only do the men in my life love the scent of Geek, but it also always puts ME in the mood, so then I feel and act supersexy. I have had total strangers stop me and say "God, you smell GOOOOOOOD."

I have a bottle and a half that I've been hoarding, and another bottle on the way from the re-release. I can't chance running out of this leathery goodness. Mmmmm...

Geek

Atthis was kind enough to swap me an imp of Geek but it didn't get here in time for the CN revival and I didn't dare to order a bottle unsniffed. Now that I've got it I'm glad I didn't since I would have sold it anyway.

It's funny how everyone seems to think this is a masculine or foresty scent. Not on me, the evil sweet-fruit-amper. On my skin, the fruity sweetness makes it more feminine. It's a sort of citrusy fruitiness, but a sweet citrus, orange maybe? I don't recall what's in it. I get some resin bitterness to begin with but it's soon drenched in the sweetness. I also get some leather and a sort of weird mustiness that reminds me of sweat or curry.

Edit: How odd. There isn't any fruit or flower in this, so what's turning so sweet? It can't be the leather because leather is usually a very dry and papery scent on me, anything but sweet. It might be one of the foresty notes though, perhaps pine, since Dublin is also very sweet on me.

Edit again, after wearing it in my hair: Well perhaps this is a sweet leather after all. Perhaps the sweetness isn't really a fruity sweetness but rather a powdery sweetness that could be sweet leather and/or sweet resins. I don't really get any citrus out of it now. Still, it's weird since leather, cinnamon and woods like cedar are usually is so dry and resins like patchouli so bitter on my skin.

Edited by Caltha

I love the weirdness of Geek in the bottle: wild and earthy. And for a while that's exactly how it smells on my skin. And then, oddly, I smell like pencil shavings. No lie! Woody and metallic. Ah, geek, you were good while you lasted!

In the imp, pine and patchouli - so nasty I almost didn't try it on. On me, it smelled of raw leather, and I had to run to scrub it off. On my teenager, it smelled like expensive men's cologne. Go fig.

Geek is all woody and warm. This starts out with pine and cedar with just the barest hint of cinnamon. It's almost not there. The leather doesn't show up until later as the oil warms on my skin. This is a very warm smell. I don't get the patchouli at all other than there being an earthy scent. I am in love with Geek!

I ordered Geek hoping I could wear it but it's definitely better for my husband than for me. I slathered it on him and while he wasn't crazy about the "splash", once it settled down he really liked it. Leather, mosses, bark and something almost...what? Fruity? It smells familiar but I can't place it. No fruit is listed so maybe it's just a result of certain notes blending. As others have mentioned, this is a very masculine blend.

A winner for the mate :P

Geek smells exactly like high-quality men's cologne to me. It's really striking and sexy, but something I'd prefer to smell on a man. It's a warm scent, full of evergreen notes and perhaps moss? or wood? It's so hard to tell. At about the 2.5 or 3 hour point, I also begin to detect the faintest touch of leather. It's really nice, but not something I’d ever wear myself. I'll be passing it on to my husband. Nice level of throw and great lasting power.

I am amused by the idea of a scent named after chicken-biting sideshow freaks. Not exactly my idea of sexy. But the notes of this blend called to me as one, and lo, it turns out to be my idea of sexy after all.

In the bottle, it is . . . oh, god, yes. Oh, oh dear. Leather, cedar, resin, and a slight whiff of cinnamon. It's gorgeous. Oh, Lab, it's been too long since I have been at the "mercy" of one of your leather blends. Take me!

On, this is all swagger, an unneutered, leg-humping scent that is both sharp and dirty. A strong dose of woodsy green and dry cedar are layered with the leather. I don't like cinnamon, but it's the cinnamon in this that takes it from pleasant to sublime, giving it a suggestion of licking, of warmth, of bite.

I can't quit sniffing this. Holy GOD. I hate piney scents, and cinnamon is really not my thing, but this is like rougher-than-hell sex in liquid form. This is screaming, swearing, tearing at the floorboards, bloody-nosed sex. It's lip-biting sex where you knock your teeth together, slap each other, spit on each other. If it stays this amazing and doesn't turn to powder or candy, I'm LIVING IN IT.

It gets very cinnamon and leather as it dries, and the green fades back a bit. A sweetness like dry grass blows in and it smells a bit like an import shop. It doesn't get powdery, dusty, or vague.

This limited edition is a blend that men or women could wear quite easily, but be warned: its opening phase is very, very aggressive. Not for the faint of heart. I've ordered a bottle and hope to smell like this until doomsday.

I have noticed that this scent tends to swing between manly and woodsy/leathery and sweet and cinnamon/grassy depending on my body chemistry. Either phase is quite nice.

I love geek, which is a very piney earthy scent on me (for some reason, it is also reminding me a little of Midnight Mass...which is one of my favorite scents for the winter) I can see why some people would think of this as a masculine scent, and I think it would smell awesome on a guy, but it smells really nice on me too. I'm going to have to save this one for the colder months!

(Original '05 version) I'm not usually very good with patchouli scents, but the pine, cedar and cinnamin might help with the feeling. Let's give it a go!

In the vial - The pine s really out there, with some patchouli in the background. The pine is really "Pine Fresh" smelling right now.

Wet - PINE FRESH. :P

Drying - This is really not working on me. The pine is becoming less "cleaning solution" and more "tree," with the cinnamin working in and the leather coming out. The patchouli isn't around yet. It still has hits of medicine scent to my nose, though.

Dry (20 minutes) - Okay, some patchouli came out and the medicinal scent isn't as heavy. The cedar's out, as is the leather, but the cinnamin has disappeared.

Overall - Just not for me. Something about the pine just didn't work well on my skin. It's really dark, too, but I can see it smelling good on a man. Ah, well.

Edited by Tess

In the bottle, moss and pine needles with a dash of cinnamon. Wet, leather and patchouli and cinnamon bark - not as spicy, more dusty... the moss and cedar are just below the leather, like the frame of a really old seat and the pine needles and opoponax are sharp and tangy. Remarkable, this is disjointed and yet so well blended that I have trouble pulling out just one note or scent at a time. As it dries, this gets a nice spicy-dusty cinnamon bark and mosses over leather blend going and I'm dangerously close to licking myself again. This is sexy. At the same time, it is in fact a little deranged... this is one of those blends that doesn't sound like it should work nearly as well as it does when you first read it and when you first sniff it, there's a slight doubt. But leather is leather is leather and as such, I will try anything once. I'd just like to add, I'm glad I got a big bottle of this or I'd be going nuts. *grins* This settles into a nice spiced dark leather and just goes on for hour after hour... this is utterly intoxicating. Wheeeeeee~

Hah! I can't believe I found yet another scent where I can smell the patchouli, but it doesn't bother me. How unprecedented! I think the patchouli is in perfect company here, though, surrounded by scents that emphasize its strengths. Brava, Beth!

The whole blend smells dark, woodsy, warm, and I thought I detected something like a white musk smoothing over any bumps. A very sexy man's cologne scent. I think I like this even more than Iago. And staying power light sweet googlie mooglie. I can still smell it on my arm the next morning. Sexy and dangerous for a late night tryst! But I think I really like it.

Edited by aedes

In the Bottle: Cinnamon-scented leather. After my experience with Spanked, I'm nervous.

On Application: Leather, but not as strong as in Spanked. Very nice faint touch of cinnamon, and a lingering scent of cedar. Interesting.

On Drydown: Leather with a subtle cinnamon undertone.

Comments: While this is better than Spanked, I still don't like the "leather" note. It dominates everything else, and just doesn't smell good to me.

Verdict: Swap.

In the imp: Leather! Very in-your-face.

Wet: Still all leather. Smells like aftershave.

Dry: More of the same.

This is a very masculine blend. Oodles of throw!

Arggh. The first time I've kicked myself for not getting a big bottle when I had the opportunity. Geek is the love side of the love-hate relationship with leather. Definitely along the lines of Spanked and Lex Talonis, at first I thought there was cardamom in here, but the cinnamon is just as good.

And I thought leather wasn't my thing.. I swear, I'm loving every scent Beth creates with leather!

This is one that I would wear and also tell my husband to wear.

I would consider this to be the more masculine version of Spanked; not as sweet, more spicey with a little bit of an aftershave note that just makes it sexy. The earthy notes also give it that "manly" scent... mmmm

I'm eternally grateful to the kind soul from MUA that sent this to me wanting nothing in return but for me to enjoy it :P :D

I bought this bottle from evilbay.

In the bottle: leather, piney, manliness in a botttle.

Wet: oh, cinnamon and patchouli, too. This scent makes me want to growl.

Dry: Hot, lusty and manly. I love this, but I think it is too manly for me to wear as perfume. I will let the SO try it.

In the bottle: Leather and cinnamon! *keels over* Yum!

Wet: Pine and resins, with a sort of marine scent. And cinnamon comes back. Then leather comes back again, hmmm... then patchouli and clear opoponax.

Drydown: It becomes dry and biting with leather and grasses, and spicy with patchouli. The base is opoponax and possibly a bit of oakmoss, and the pine needle seems to have disappeared. The cinnamon comes out, it's more like cooking cinnamon than red hots, and it mingles with the leather. It develops slowly into a nearly marine, deep, sexy resinous cinnamon and leather blend.

Overall: A very hot blend, clearly snarling with spices and rough with leather, but also deep and complex. However, it's a very masculine scent which I wouldn't wear myself. On a man, it would drive me wild. It's a very rough blend, though, scorching and dark as well as sexy. It's a pity I couldn't pull it off, because it's wonderful.

In the bottle: Leathery spice/forest musk? Lots of things clamoring for top billing.

On me: Sharp with the same acrid breathe-out whiff I had from Hexennacht. Really green, but I also get the leather. Cedar does not dominate, in contrast to... anything else I ever tried that had cedar. Even some things that don't have cedar seem to smell like cedar on me. Good thing I like cedar. A cinnamony spiciness, no patchouli. The greens fade into a wild-smelling leather with a soapiness that doesn't (thankfully) take over. And as a hint of soapiness it's nice, a gentleness that some of the notes would otherwise be lacking.

Geek-

In Bottle: A masculine scent. I detect the cedar right off.

Wet: Wood-and-chocolate sweet bloom! Spicy, too. Rich-smelling; makes me fear it could get cloying.

Dry: This does get a little cloying. It's a rich masculine scent but I can't put my nose to my wrists too often or it makes me a little nauseated.

Overall: Doesn't work for me, pity.

Very herbal and woodsy, but not as overwhelming as a lot of the evergreen-based scents are on me. I get a smidge of the cinnamon and leather in the background, but mostly this is evergreen. Kind of reminds me of men's aftershave.

In the bottle:

Yummy. Spicy in a men's aftershave kind of way. I can definitely smell the pine, and what might be the opoponax? (That's just a guess - it's a very distinctive, familiar smell, but I don't know what it's called, and I don't know what opoponax is, so...) There's a sharp twang.

Wet (on the boy):

Yummy... :P The sharp edge goes away and it smells warmer.

Dry down (on the boy):

Much sweeter than in the bottle. The sharp tang is basically gone. It's not soft and sweet in a feminine way, but rather sweet in some kind of tasty masculine way. I can definitely still smell the green in it, too.

On me:

Oh wow... it's still a little bit masculine, but mostly it's spicy leather with a touch of sugar sweetness. Maybe just a bit too much opoponax/patchouli/cedar combination for me to not feel like I'm wearing men's cologne... but it's really really tasty, and the longer I wear it, the more sugary it gets, and the less it smells like men's cologne. I don't think that the men's cologne feel will go away enough for me to justify wearing it, though. Definitely not feminine or girly - feral is a good way to describe it.

Final thoughts:

It smells really really good on the boy, but too masculine for me.