Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
wolfie13

Gomorrah

One of the Biblical Cities on the Plain, destroyed by God with fire and brimstone because of its people’s pride, prosperous ease, deceit, hedonism and indolence, and their callous, uncharitable hearts. A gritty, sordid and languid scent: ripe fig, date and currant with black herbs.

Yup. Gritty. Dirty in an unbathed way. Love the name, though :P

Frimped this on last order - oh, looooove. An instant new favorite! As was previously mentioned, this will layer beautifully with Lush Figs n Leaves, as well as their new Sultana of Soap.

In the bottle: dark, smoky, ripe fruits and herbs. Mmmmmm. There's something mildly astringent, too. If this smells half this good on my skin I'm one lucky mama.

On my skin: Whoa. This is just beautiful. At first the fig reminds me of my beloved Freak Show, but as it settles down it somehow puts me in mind of Carnal, very sweet and spicy and relaxing. The smoky, spicy note stays more pronounced on my inner wrists, elbows and cleavage, adding depth and a sultry aura in all the fun places. :P

Drydown: Gahhhh. Lovely. My son, who is notoriously scentophobic, made me decant him some Carnal to sniff when he feels sad because it smells like me. He said this smells like me, too. Big bottle here I come!

Gomorrah-

In Bottle: Aquatic, sharp. I think I like the musk note though.

Wet: Smoky, sandalwoody. Really nice, much different than it was in the bottle!

Dry: This is a nice sandalwood scent. A little sweet and decadent on top of it. Very appropriately named scent!

Overall: I like.

When wet, this is a strong date/fig. The description doesn't lie! Drydown makes this a sweet, beautiful scent on me. I like it very much and will gladly use the rest of my freebie. I will have to think about getting a full bottle.

From the imp and while wet, this is overwelmingly fig. I washed it off the first time I tried it. The smell of overripe fruit was just too much.

However, tonight I persisted and let it dry and settle in. It's now a more currant scent with a very herbal background. It's an intriguing smell, and I like it a lot. I just wish it would last a little bit longer, as I don't particularly want to reapply it often.

I'm not sure I'll wear it often, but it seems like it would be a good 'every now and then' scent. I just need to remember to apply it while I will be doing other things that will distract me from the initial wet scent.

Musty BPAL number 117. I wish I knew why my skin does such odd things to so many perfumes. The herbs are fairly strong in Gomorrah, but mustiness wins in the end.

On first sniff, this is fig and sweet dirt, tangible and earthy. Lovely! There's also, on occasion, a sharp berry note piping through. Over time, however, the sweetness intensifies, and it's countered by something a bit smoky. This is dark, a comfortable brown scent, with a hint of incense in the background. Sensual, but completely grounded.

I have to say, this was not on my wishlist, as I took one look at all those foody notes and hid in terror. However, got this one earlier today as a frimp, so I tried it anyway. I am so glad the Lab threw this one in with my bottle of Smut!

In the imp: Gentle fruitiness, with a hint of earthiness underneath. Like I just picked a piece of fruit and there is dirt clinging to it.

Wet/Drydown: Very earthy and slightly sweet – dusty sweet. It’s very herbal on me. The fruits in this are NOT sticky or sickly sweet at all – very earthy and fresh, VERY lovely and wearable. There’s almost an herbal minty note flirting with the edges of my nose. After a few minutes, the scent has sweetened up just a tad – not too much.

Dry: This is sexy as all get out. Earthy, slightly sweet, incensey… so yummy. Absolutely delicious. It’s not as dusty as before, definitely juicier and riper. Huh – now I’m getting a drier feel again. Not quite as dry as the initial phase, but it’s definitely there.

After a few hours: Ok, it’s faded quite a bit into a lovely but faint skin scent that’s soft-sexy. I love it, but I wish it had a bit more staying power.

I really might have to get a big bottle. This is just such a gorgeous scent.

Frimp :P

This smells alot like Intrigue to me, which didn't work to well on me. Minus the cocoa, and less woody. Still, it is quite wood-chip -like on me, maybe it's the herbs. Any herbs in here must be the dry, dusty kind :D The fig and date are the fruits that stand out the most, and they appear to be dried fruit not fresh.

It's not bad bad, but I don't think I'll get much wear out of this.

Indeed much like a lighter Intrigue. I like this better.

Starts highly medicinal and sharp. Whatever those black herbs are, they're here and they're bllllack. It smells like what I would imagine "tonics for all maladies" sold by peddlers in the 18th century must smell like.

It's woody, earthy, smokey and dirty, probably vetiver as other have already said.

The fig here is not at all sweet but very much present. It's a dominatrix fig...

The dates I can really smell they're thick & syrupy and the currant is dark and the whole fruit combo has this rotting quality to it as again mentioned before.

Dry, it's woody-fruity and well, dry.

The final drydown is still divine, very close to the skin, alluring and softly sweet fruits and earth.

Oh. Well, that's interesting. It smells like dried fruit and herbs, I get a distinct waft of fig and date out of it, and the herbs make it almost medicinal. It is indeed dark and sticky-gritty, a very dirty, smelly scent. At first whiff it comes off as perfumey, but then the harsh darkness of it comes across. I really can't describe it. It would probably smell like Dr. Pepper if it weren't for the herbs, which are what make this so intriguing. I like the smell, it's interesting, but I'm not sure I will like it as a perfume.

On, it's powerfully . . . oh . . . err . . . well . . . I really, really want to say "yuck," but I know by now not to let the first five minutes speak for the perfume. And that's what you have to do – wait for it. This one takes a minute to do its thing.

Fleshy, dark fruit notes are overlaid by an herbal blast that initially chokes out any sweetness this may have had. It ages smoothly, though, the herbs fading back so that the fruits can come out. The fig and date aren't particularly juicy-smelling fruits, so the fruit element of this is gummy and dark. The throw is ripe and low, but quite arresting; sexy without any sweetness. It definitely hase anise or fennel in it – I am getting a smell like licorice candy in the throw.

It just becomes more beautiful as it wears; after about 15 minutes a new fruity layer comes out, the currant, I think, and it's just a little sweeter and a little more moist than the others. The longer I wear it, the more like a spiced fruit it becomes. Despite its initially stinkiness, it is divine. Well, let's call it "diabolical" instead. The longer I wear it the sexier it becomes. Like watching a totally mean, bad-ass guy get progressively more drunk and easy, losing his clothes, making out with his friends. . . . I like it.

This is very dark and very, very interesting. Initially very masculine, it becomes more neutral as it wears. I can see this being devastating on men and women both. As a concept scent, it's a complete success, evoking debauchery and overripe self-indulgence without any sweetness; in fact, there's a trace of the malefic here. I mean it when I say that you have to give this one a chance to do its thing and win you over. I usually know right off if I hate a scent or not, but this one completely turned around on me. Wonderful!

This was another impulse buy, but I've learned to trust my instinct. I love love love the spicy fig scent that is in Nephilim, and I wanted more figgy fragrances. I'm also fond of date and currant, and I love most herbal scents, so I sprang for a bottle unsniffed. I couldn't go wrong, right?

Right!

This is incredible. Its different from all my other BPALs, a total 'left-field' sort of scent for me, and yet it works so well. In the bottle, its almost sickly sweet with a hint of the medicinal. Overripe on the verge of rotting, a pile of dessicated fruit that someone sprinkled with pungent herbs to cover the decaying odor. The kind of thing no one in their right mind would want to put on their skin.

So of course I put it on my skin. The herbs really amp up on me during the wet phase. Someone in the previous comments said that the herbs in this are BLACK. I concur. Wet on my skin, this is a cruel, dark scent. The sweetness of the fruit is just a whisper, like a muted but malicious giggle.

The drydown on this is kind of edgy, almost sour. The fruit begins to rot again, and it comes close to being unpleasant, but in such an intriguing way its bearable. Once dry, this honey blooms into something truly gorgeous and complex. A maiden in the fields, pursued by a lustful brute, drops her basket of fruits to the ground. Figs and dates are trampled in careless abandon, crushed into the earth during the chase. Yep, thats the smell.

This one's another winner, and I am so glad I have a bottle. It will get much wear from me.

In bottle: Slightly foody, but mostly laid over by those herbs.

On me: Figs and dates, close to the skin, with that darkness over them. Sweet, but earthy.

Surprisingly sweet; a very deep, earthy sweetness, but the fruit aspect is lovely and bright (and I can definitely detect the fig note from Carnal, which I ADORE.) I can actually see myself wearing this quite often when I don't feel like being all sunshine and rainbows! And, ehehe, the name is so great~

Gomorrah

pale orange oil

Imp: Aquatic and bitter.

Skin: Completely bitter in the beginning, although it does get sweeter and herbier as it dries. There is something chalky about it, not aquatic at all - which makes the bitterness "gritty". Its not what I expected; I was hoping to smell more of the fruit, especially the date, but it was bitter herb more than anything.

Later on it also develops a earthiness. Its a very dry earth, not the moist soil type, but the crumbly, crusty type.

There also is a woody feel about it too.

This didn't work for me. Too bitter, too dry, too pulverulent.

Frimp from the Lab.

In the imp, bitter and brown. So much so that I dabbed this on, smelled the wet bitter brown smell and consigned Gomorrah to the swaps box.

Five minutes later, Gomorrah is retrieved from the swaps box and slathered. The initial nasty dirty smell blossoms to a beautiful almost sweet but not quite currant underlaid with interesting herbs. I have to say I can't smell the fig or the date in this, it is just herbs and fruit. I'm not normally a BPAL fruit girl, but this is very different from the over-the-top candy fruit scents like Jester or Bordello as the currant is tempered by the bitter herbs. This is a winner and I'm going to enjoy the imp.

It's sweet, almost in a head-shop cheap-incense sort of way, at first -- but not only that. The great thing about Gomorrah is the way that, on drydown, the vetiver and other herbs rise through the fig-currant layer to bring in that earthy crunch that reminds you that figs don't just show up at the market -- they're grown, and plants grow in, you know, dirt. I am forced (with no reluctance at all!) to concur with previous reviewers who find Gomorrah surprisingly sexy, especially given the listed notes. I almost get something dry and leafy out of this near the end, and a fairly strong throw for a fruity scent. Win!

in the bottle: It reminds me of a tobacco shop. Sweet, but this smokey dark scent. Almost a little too manly for me.

on (wet): I honestly don't smell the fig at all. But I completely love this smell. It's a dark, and I guess people would term that "black herbs" but I would find it spicy actually. It's got a note of sweetness behind it, though.

on (dry): Still the same and still really really good. Think "Woodsy, fruit tart, with spices."

verdict: This scent is love! Literally, I was all "OMG! BEST SCENT EVER!" I love to wear it alone or pair it with a sweeter smell to mellow it out a bit. It's just perfect for me! 5 out of 5!!!!!!!!!!

In the imp:

Hmmm. Wood, which doesn't even seem to be one of the notes in this. And something sharp and almost piney.

Wet:

Something still smells woody to me. But unlike a lot of wood notes, this doesn't seem to be going to pencil shavings on my skin.

Dry:

This is faint, but I definitely smell currants or figs. I thought this was totally going to be a "forget it" fragrance after the first 10 minutes, but it's at least worth a full wearing to see what it does somewhere other than my wrist. If it does anything interesting, I'll update this.

In the imp: Patchouli and a dirty fig. In an herbal shop. Fig eating hippies.

On the wrist: Now I smell like a fig eating hippie. *raises eyebrow* Well, I am fond of figs... Herbaliness. Figs. Figgy herbs.

Drydown: Herb shop. Possibly a head shop. Some sort of shop involving herb. Or herbs. Anise? Not for me. Swapped.

Wet: figgie, not sweet, but earthy fig

On skin: figgie on me still, with some dark currant smell. Not bad, but not exactly great either on my skin.

Drydown: LOVE!!! Very green smelling to me. In it I smell patchouli for some reason...and Love it. Keeper!!!

Spicy hair spray. Lets see how it dries... Now it's a nice spicy herb. It's not a heavy scent, not bad.

Currants!! So ripe that they're nearly rotting, but not quite. And herbs. And some dates in there. I like this. It's sort of reminding me of something like Tweedledum, but dirtier. I'm not getting much figginess here...the currants are amping like crazy, though, and this has gotten stronger after a couple of hours. Mmm.