Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
wolfie13

Gomorrah

One of the Biblical Cities on the Plain, destroyed by God with fire and brimstone because of its people’s pride, prosperous ease, deceit, hedonism and indolence, and their callous, uncharitable hearts. A gritty, sordid and languid scent: ripe fig, date and currant with black herbs.

in the imp: mostly the herbs, with a fine hint of currant. very "dark" smelling so far.

wet on skin:same, with a little fig wafting in and out.

dry down: back to the "dark" herbs.

in all: certainly a "noir" sort of oil, the type you wear when you plan to walk on the foggy moors brooding all day and then go home to drink sherry and spill it down your lace gown. THAT kind of scent. :werewolf:

Dark herbs and fruits...I'm definitely getting the gritty in this one. There's something in here that makes me thing of fresh turned earth. Neat, but not really my kind of thing. A good "dark" scent, though.

Gomorrah smells just like White Rabbit to me, except without that thin powdery line that ruins White Rabbit and makes it fade in seconds. In other words, it smells like warm spicy tea (not quite like chai but similar), slightly sweet, very reddish-brown. Just....mmm, a very warm, amiable scent. (Warm both in temperature and in temperament.) It also makes me feel more grown up and "together" than usual -- a good scent to wear to work.

Its throw is average and it lasts a good six hours on me. Definitely a keeper.

This is very strange, I get vetiver, vetiver, vetiver and more (you get the picture!). I little while later, something vinegarry, then poof it's gone (?) This is a homemade frimp, so maybe it's not what it says. Anyways, I get no fig, currants, herbs..

O_o Ok, in the imp I don't smell anything except black herbs. No fig, date or currant. Just a gritty patchouli/herb type scent. WTF there isn't even patchouli in this blend.

Ok, on my skin I get more figgy/date-iness and just a hint of currant. Thank goodness! This is very interesting-the herbs are still the strongest note on my skin, but the underlying richness of the figs/dates keep this unique and out of the blah-range.

But within about 30 minutes-poof!-entire scent is gone O_o My skin just swallowed it up! Overall and interesting take on the concept but not for me!

In the imp: Fruity dirt and dark wood. Dark date and fig, with an even darker, heavily woody-earthy undertone from the black herbs. Really earthy—one of the black herbs must be patchouli. This is… actually, thinking about it, this smells very weirdly similar to the early stages of Death on a Pale Horse! (Must be the patchouli.) If this turns out even half as well, I'll be a happy camper.

On, wet: Dark and gritty is a very good description of this one; this has a wicked vibe to it. There's also something very dry about this scent to me, which suggests the desert. The patchouli is way out in front, though it's slightly less earthy and more woody now. Behind the aromatic patchouli, I'm getting brighter hints of currant, but they're fleeting. Still, there's a promise of fruitness to come.

On, dry: Full, dark and fruity, with a strong woody/smoky patchouli accent—sort of a deep, dark, eggplant-y purple kind of perfume. The currant and fig are slowly sweetening this a bit, becoming the heart of this scent, but the patchouli makes it really interesting and complex. It works much, much better for me than the last fruit/patchouli combo I tested (Masquerade); unlike in that blend, the fruit and patchouli complicate each other, but they aren't in a cage match or clashing with each other. I'm especially impressed by the patchouli note here, which doesn't have the dirty aspect that a lot of people dislike.

Later: Fruitier than ever, underscored by the woody patchouli. The date is just about gone, or else it's hiding, but the currant and fig are nice enough that I don't mind.

Overall: Definitely dark and gritty and sordid, and true to the concept. The big surprise is that patchouli is so prominent in this one, even over and above the fruit, but it is a particularly nice earthy/woody patchouli, so I have no complaints. My only quibble is that every now and then, the combination of fruit and patchouli produces the oddest beeswax smell! It's very fleeting, though, and probably just my chemistry. I'll have to try it again to see if this was just a fluke.

This smells a bit like some kind of face scrub to me rather than a pefume. It's quite strong and different from anything else I've tried so far.

2.5/5 Just not my type of thing ultimately.

Smells sort of like a horse barn at first… o_O … Then, an herbiness comes on. It's really strangely, nicely familiar. There's definitely some sweet fruit in there that seems to be striking that cord. I think this reminds me of something Lush.. FIGS & LEAVES that must be it! Except that this is herbier, darker, and less rancid smelling. Now.. It sort of smells like hot sauce D: It had such potential! Perhaps this is because I added a bit more oil after first sniff, because I thought I hadn't put on enough. Could there be such a big difference between application and scent?

Imp: Herbal. A bit of juniper or fir, maybe? Sticky sweetness underneath.

Wet: Very mild and sweet with the tiniest hint of the herbal quality. Currants are the dominant note and then the sticky fig.

Dry: Huh. This is very pretty--very unlike what I thought this would smell like (not that I didn't think it would be pretty). It's a soft, warm sticky fig scent with a hint of earthy date (don't particularly know what date smells like but I can cross reference it from a few other scents, most notably the Hanging Gardens) and a tart, juicy currant. The herbs have all but disappeared. Very soft and girly. Goes with the sundress I just happen to be wearing today.

Throw: Minute.

Overall: Pretty. It's a warm, fruity scent that's unusual and sticks in your mind. The throw is pretty minimal on my skin so I don't exactly see a bottle in my future. Definitely a good one if you're looking for a fun, fruity summery sort of scent.

I like fig, date, and currant, but dark herbs...not so much.

In the imp: This smells like a dentist's office. If this continues on my skin, I'm going to have to wash it off immediately.

On me: Ugh. It's all herbs, all the time. The dentist's office smell is still there, though it's maybe a bit milder. It's very sharp and just...not my thing. I suppose it's all well and good, because I would have felt strange telling people that I was wearing Gomorrah.

In the imp: Sweet herbs

Wet: Hmmm...very odd I'm smelling sandalwood in this. I'm also getting a subdued (not overly sweet) fig with herbs. This really has a "woodsy" quality to it.

Dry: This dries down to a sandalwood smelling cedar note on me (??) Weird!

Overall: Very pleasant but a little forgettable for me. I was hoping for more fig and currents. Oh well! Nice but not for me :)

milo, you're not crazy!

I get the vetiver, too. VETIVER! with some herbs in the background.

The herbs smell nice.

Well, it always cracks me up when I can read a whole list of "dark" words: gritty, sordid, languid, black herbs... and then on me it just smells nice and not foreboding at all. Yes, when wet, the herbs on me are 'dark', I suppose, when compared to other herbal scents that are often light and airy. Most of the "darkness" fades away as soon as the oil is dry on my skin. And then it dries down to a lovely almost-spice, almost-warm-fruits that seems like it would be just stellar in the fall without being a super-literal "i am fall potpourri" scent. I wish it were a bit stronger because the drydown is so nice, but very close-to-the-skin. I'm totally hanging onto this, and I don't smell like someone about to be destroyed by god. Perhaps like someone who raked the leaves and then baked a pie. :)

In this family: Hanging Gardens, Verdandi, Eden after an hour or so, The Apothecary. And others that I can't place.

Edited by sqwook

Sniffing the imp, I get mostly herbs.

Wet on my skin, wood and spice. As it begins to dry, the woodiness dissipates and I begin to smell the currants and figs.

Ends up drying down to a faint bit of spiciness and figs.

Wet: Herbal notes over chewy dates and figs... the herbs do really strike me as dark, a bit spicy... I'd guess that there's a liberal dose of anise in here. There's also dusky, dirty vetiver-like edge. I just barely get a hint of tart currant.

Dry: The herbal, slighly medicinal notes prevail, but it fades into the background. I'm mostly getting subtly dirty vetiver and perhaps some wood, balanced with a anise-spiced fig-date smell. I just ate a fig and anise marmalade the other day, so Gomorrah reminds me of a dirtier, more herbal edition.

Overall: It's not bad, but there are other figgy scents and smoky scents that are more my style.

In the Imp: This is only a small bit ashy so far, and not dry at all. Surprisingly it smells more like the ripe fruits than anything, particularly like a full yummy date.

Wet: This is one of those scents that is 100% true to its description. It's gritty and has the sharp smell of herbs mixed with the more indulgent and rich notes of robust fruits. I suppose what you'd imagine a high class brothel would smell like... after if got burned down.

Dry: This got very peppery as it dried, almost uncomfortable to the nose and so much that the fruits which gave it a more balanced feel have almost faded entirely. It was nice initially but in my opinion it's too overpowering now.

Verdict: I don't usually wash off oils after testing them even if they turn out funky, and I will say that after about four hours this went back to a slightly "juicier" smell once again, but to me that's a bit too long to wait. The harshness still lingers though, and it's a bit tiresome after extended wear.

Rating: 2/5

In the bottle: sweet, spicy, exotic. Yum!

Wet: Faintly sweet but pleasantly so. This is not a cloying scent.

Dry: The sweet and spice blend into a delectable scent with both light and dark notes. It seems to be evolving, if that's possible. It will be interesting to see how it wears through the day. It doesn't have much throw at first, but that appears to increase over time.

After 15 minutes: Some lightly smokey notes are coming out now, but the sweet still balances it out.

Verdict: This appears to be a keeper. The different notes in the scent are well balanced. It's a very calming scent to wear, and I feel a soft smile light up my face with each sniff.

Edited by LadyMorgan

Ohh, tasty. Very fruity, but dark, earth fruity which I'm sure has to do with the figs and dates. The herbs help deepen the scent. Definitely one for the oil burner because while I may not want to smell like a fruit garden, no matter how dark and lovely, I'd love for the room to smell like this.

In bottle: this is weirdly dry and woody in an interesting way. It’s surprisingly minty as well. Wet: I’m getting a skin reaction, so I’m guessing mint could be among the herbs. I’m starting to get the currents, etc., but really this is more herb dominant than fig/date/current. I really do like it, and am sad the skin reaction means I can’t keep it. Dry: Mostly current.

oooo! Surprising!!

Fig and date are usually "Meh" on me. They have the same effect as almonds. But this is different!! It's sweet, but the black herbs add a darkness that calms the fig and date down... keeping them from becoming too meaty. Instead, I'm picking up a dark and smokey, yet sweet and somewhat juicy blend. The meatiness is at a minimum and kind of hiding itself behind the herbs coattails. It's earthy and dark, yet not "dirty".

As it dries down, the herbal note really picks up and gains some strength. It's going a little bit mossy, but not dirty at all. It's spices, but not bright and shiny spices, it's dark and sexual almost.

I can see a bunch of women gyrating on bull shaped statues, glistening in the warm torchlight during a wild party.

Loveeeeeee it!

Verdict? totally not a fig newton.

Mmm. the sweetheart freaked out about this one. He loves it.

earthy dirty and sweet. Something like fresh dirt and patchouli are the undercurrent upon application... the upper layer is sweet ripe figs and dates. Not pulling much currant out today however I was the 1st time I tested? Very brown & black. The dirt/patchouli burns off slightly to release a bit more of a golden smell from the fruits.

I'll have to give this a few more tries before debating a bottle. Seems what others fancy on you aren't always the ones you flip your lid over. I do like this a lot however!

this was one of my first frimps, and one of my first bottle purchases... a very, very long time ago. and while i do like it, i simply never reach for it. so this lovely aged bottle is moving on to a better home. but before i do, a small review:

very figgy (a good thing), with their sweet-dirty smell. and i guess it's the "black herbs" that add a fallen-leaves-like topnote? i love dirt scents, but this isn't a dirt scent. my skin also eats it, and no matter how much i slather it, it has virtually no throw. it's a nice snuggly scent.

So this was not at all what I was expecting from the other reviews. I got this as a partial frimp, so I'm wondering if it just didn't get mixed very well and what I'm getting is not at all what you'd usually get from a fresh imp.

Imp: Pencil shavings. Maybe slightly charred pencil shavings.

Wet: Nasty, nasty burnt herbs. OMG, wash it off -- Wait! The unpleasant smell disappears immediately. We're back to charred pencil shavings, with some kind of sharply herby scent underneath it. This is definitely getting better.

Dry: The fig finally comes out a little, but it still smells intensely resinous (less pencil/cedar and more fresh tree sap) and ashy more than smoky. If there were a bit more fruit and a bit less ash, I'd actually really like it. If I have a chance at a fresher imp, I'd love to see if this is just a mixing/remnant problem.

MMMM delicious. i bought this in a 10ml unsniffed because the notes were too good to pass up.

in the bottle: Smells like a fig/currant liquor. Juicy!! with a hint of grit..

wet: Ripe fig date and currant spring to life, the black herbs and grit lingering in the shadows. The currant makes itself known right a way, fig is sache-ing around the room, like a plump harem girl who is fed well and wined too. The black herbs are more of a black-herbs soaked in ritual oil, the mixture burning above little torches.

Dry: We're following Fig now through a dark corridor lined with said torches, you enter a chamber with a large window open to the night air, her darling submissive girlfriend Date is lounging on the bed. Fig joins her and they start to kiss, they beckon you to their bed, their juicy ripeness and an uninhibited very hedonistic night.

Verdit: 5/5. This is exactly what I wanted in more. Foody in a very sexual way. Induces lusty hunger. Very sexy and feminine without being too mature or girly, like a perfectly ripe young lady. Its exactly how gomorrah should smell. I know this review came off kind of lesbianesque but Its what it conjured up in my mind lol. I wonder what the boy will think when he gets home?? :twisted:

Frimp from the Lab.

In the imp: Sweetness and dirt.

Wet: It's like fresh turned earth, if green and growing plants were tilled into it. The earth predominates, but there's definitely something herbal going on.

Dry: Horehound candy? Or maybe root beer of some kind? Or spiced gumdrops. It's something I remember from when I was a kid, that was more interesting for its rarity than because I actually liked it. Something I didn't get often enough to remember I wasn't overly fond of it, but I didn't actually dislike it, if that makes sense. Anyway, that's what it reminds me of, but heck if I could figure out what it is.

Overall: Definitely foody, and I'm not big on smelling like food. But it's not the fig, date, currant dark fruits I would have expected. Probably not one I'll be reaching for much.