Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
wolfie13

Gomorrah

One of the Biblical Cities on the Plain, destroyed by God with fire and brimstone because of its people’s pride, prosperous ease, deceit, hedonism and indolence, and their callous, uncharitable hearts. A gritty, sordid and languid scent: ripe fig, date and currant with black herbs.

In bottle/imp: dark herbs and a touch of fig.

Immediately on skin: This is an interesting scent. I’m getting the sweet fig and date, and also a woody note. I think it might be the date mixing with the herbs.

After a few minutes: That wood note is still there, mixing with the sweet, ripe fig, date, and just a little currant. It’s just slightly sweet, but still earthy.

Later on: All I can smell from this blend anymore is sweet but dusty dry herbs. There’s almost a dirt note in it too. Maybe that’s the “gritty” part of the description. Edited by Shollin

Gomorrah

In vial, this is gritty, dark, and somewhat earthy. Wet, the herbs become almost piney, like a warm forest. As it dries, there is more of a slight sweetness to it. Wearing further, it feels like a bag of freshly dried herbs crossed with a well made wreath - sweet, but bitter and also slightly astringent; overall feeling very natural.

[1 - Hate] .. [2 - Dislike] .. [3 - Like] .. [4 - Really Like] .. [5 - Love]

4 : Not at all what I expected, but I still really liked it.

First on this is so very dingy, dank, dark herbs that it’s putting me off quite a bit. This is like leaves rotting in a drain in the street it’s that dank, dark, and dirty. It’s just so noxious on my skin. Ick. I’m extremely tempted to wash this off and not even see what’s it’s like on the drydown because the wet stage is just too damn awful on me. And here I was hoping for more fruits with a few sexy herbs. Nope, rotting herbs in a gutter. Ick.

Rating: 1/5

imp: dusty, dried fruits. i suppose these are the fig and date but it doesn't smell sweet at all.

wet: dried, crushed herbs with a lingering fruity scent. this reminds me of an attic where herbs have been hung up to dry and where you might find a few bushels of fruits and bins of dried goods.

dry: this goes a touch sweeter and reminds me of sweetish wine that's past it's prime and has that dusty, bitter smell. there's still that storage attic or root cellar scent about it which i find quite pleasing. odd to think of something so wholesome when i'm wearing a scent called 'gomorrah'.

I sniffed the little closed vial and right away I could smell that there was something in there that intrigued me. I popped off the cap and the dark herbs wafted at me and I was a little nervous ~ but still there was something there.

I put a dab on: WHAM! sharpness... but.... for only a few seconds. Almost immediately the herbs mingled with my body chemistry and then completely transformed the scent into the most exquisite softness.

And then it hit me: this is Lush's 'Figs and Leaves' soap ~ the softest and most beautiful Figs and Leaves that there ever was.

Im sooo in love. I dont care if I never own another bottle of bpal ever again.. THIS is the ONE.

(If you loved Lush's Figs and Leaves, but perhaps found their scent a little bit too strong like I did, then you MUST buy this for yourself because its better.)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*EDIT* I went back to Lush and smelled Figs and Leaves and it doesnt really smell like it. Gomorrah rather smells like a combination of Ohh La La, Cereology and Figs and Leaves all stored together. Heavy, herby and languid. Gomorrah is not light, but its not dark either. And it's definitely not foody.

40 other scents later, this on is still my favourite.

Edited by rawgirl75

First sniff: Sharp and somewhat harsh ... must be those black herbs.

Wet phase: Still strong and herb-ish.

Drying: Softening up a bit ... it almost smells a bit like patchoulli at this point. Unfortunately, I hate patchoulli. :P

This one's gonna get swapped. Too bad those fruits never showed up for me ... I like fig and dates and currants.

From a distance, this smells mostly just like fig on me. Close up it's sweeter, I guess from the date and currant although I wouldn't have been able to say there was currant in it because I can't identify it. Just a sweetness.

I'm not sure what the black herbs are in this, but this fig scent does seem a bit gritty so I guess that's what's contributing to it.

I like this scent a lot and always have.

I'm feeling sad about my skin and the BPAL fig note.

I've finally decided that the dusty incense-y note I smell on my skin in all the fig blends, is, in fact, the fig.

So I'm probably not going to find a creamy sweet fig like Fresh's fig soap, or the fig note in Eau D'oolong.

If you can't tell, Gomorrah smelled very incensey (I had a moment of sandalwood like others here) on me. Not much else. And these spicy incense-like scents just aren't working for me. So it's nothing against the blend, I know lots of people who want to smell like this (or better, probably, since their skin won't do this to the poor fig). But it's not me.

Sigh.

Best,

Tzi

In the Bottle

A dark, intense woody note making me think of a combination of cedar and myrrh.

On me

Initially I get what smells like a vetiver/cedar blend. It's cold. After that's died down a bit, I'm left with a smokey, fruity goodness, almost like Christmas fruitcake but with a drier, less sickly-sweet (and less boozy) note. There's a touch of incense, but unlike, say, Kostnice, it's not overpowering.

I can never quite figure out what fig actually does for my nose. I can't seem to pick it out in blends. Maybe some day I'll get to try a fig single note.

When first applied, there is a sweetness to this scent, but also a gritty texture, just like the description reads. This is not nearly as fruity as I would expect, reading the notes. Actually the scent as a whole is very faint in the wet stage. Later as it dries, the herbs seem to pop out and it reminds me of the sage in Corazon. Overall, very herbal, slightly sweet, and mostly enjoyable. I like it enough to keep the imp and wear it again.

This makes me smell "like one of those potpourri candle things".

Ah, well.

lmao because this is just beautiful on me, actual bible reading type that i am. i would never have bought this - when the lovely kelp frimped it to me, i thought uh oh, this one is destined for some friend or coworker.... even if i were "that" kinda girl, i'm not big on fruit scents... but sniffed it anyway.

liked.

put on.

liked a lot.

on me, this smells like dark, incensy, spicy fruit. doesn't change that much from imp to wearing. i get the fig and the currant (the latter, especially after an hour or two.) it's a bit like a darker cousin of les bijoux, which i also really like.

and now that i've determined fig is a good thing, i must have some hetairae...

In the bottle: Light golden brown oil. Dark, dusty, herbal. Very mildly sweet and fruity, but barely so. Fig if I strain, and definitely some herbs. I suspect vetiver.

Wet: Very faint, and almost soapy in its herbalness. Sweetness gone. A bit of currant, that tell-tale sharpness that's almost uriney. The fig smells more leafy. The date is dry, shriveled, not chewy or candied.

Dry: All fruit and sweet notes fade completely, minus some soapy currant. Vetiver and herbs give this a smoky, earthy feel - indeed 'gritty'.

Summary: Soapy-currant, herbal dust and dirty, woody vetiver - the primary note by far, even though it's still quite light. Extremely faint in throw overall. Unisex to masculine.

I did not like this one at all and it utterly failed to deliver the fruit I was hoping for. :P

It reminds me mostly of something like Brimstone.

In The Bottle

Slightly fruity and earthy

On Application

Very pepperminty on application and then the earthy vetiver kicks in adding some interest for me. Quite light though.

Dry Down

Still very, very soft and faint and minty. I am going to let this age a bit and try again.

Rating (0-5)

This is a very earthy fig. It's a fruity schmoopy mess of fig and dates. Very Middle Eastern. You can almost take a bite out of this.

In the imp: Gomorrah is spicy figs

Wet: A hint of something sharp and herbal comes out

Dry: Soft spice and fruit

Verdict? Does not suck-- I like it

This is actually a fig blend that doesn't go wonky on me. Wet, this is all dried fruits - fig and dates - with an undercurrent of black spices and herbs. Very dry smelling and dark. As it dries, the currant comes out and provides a juicy dimension here, making this scent a little sweeter and rounder feeling. I like it, but it's not a favourite.

Fig? My Newton!!

I never would have guessed that there are figs, currants, or any other kind of fruit in Gomorrah. Not a bad thing, since predominant fruit ain't my bag. With Gomorrah, it would be the woody blackened herbs for a win, except for the little issue with the burnt butter smell.

Because my experience was so far off the mainstream, I'm chalking this one up to wonky chemistry or a weird batch. Lovely concept, though.

This is an extremely meh scent on me. It's very faint and I've used nearly half an imp to get any joy out of it.

It smells very generic to me, I had higher hopes. I can't smell fig or date. It just smells like a few other imps I've had that have been aged a bit too long. I think it's probably a bit too old for me to give it a good review.

There is s herby quality to it and t smells kind of golden if that makes sense. But..other than that this is really not floating my boat. Maybe I got the weird batch that Themerrybaker got too!

Strange scent that doesn't fit the description..

Imp: Wonderfully figgy with a bit of a fermented smell I'm not sure about.

Wet: I'm getting vetiver I think. It is a sharp, masculine note that I usually pass on. Otherwise the fig and date are yummy.

Dry: It gets mellower and almost a bit creamy but still has that masculine edge. I'll be passing this one on to Mr. Isis.

This goes on as an earthy fruit… it smells dark, juicy without being overly sweet (it's not a jam smell). As it dries down, it smells drier, like dusty fruits, and the fruits themselves darken further, smelling more solid, more concentrated, like sun-dried versions of themselves. The whole thing feels concentrated and darkened.

In the imp: Currants and herbs. Rather tart and sharp, but not at all in a citrussy sort of way, which is nice. As I’m not that familiar with fig, I’m not sure if the fig’s a dominant or weak note here, but I’m enjoying it so far.

On: Earthy, juicy currant, with the faintest hint of sweet date that’s driving me crazy. I keep wanting to chase after that sweetness, but it’s just dancing around the edges and it’s absolutely divine. I really like it so far.

Dry: Mm, sundried currants, date and something that has got to be fig. It's softened and sweetened up too. This has a fairly decent throw on me too, which is a nice surprise considering my skin tends to eat BPAL. I'm not sure if I'd get a bottle of this, but I'd definitely grab another imp if the opportunity arose.

I didn't expect to like this one but figured that since I have to shower soon, I would try it, hate it, and wash it off. Why do I try things I think I'll hate you ask? Because that's just the way I roll. Sometimes I just like being grossed out. Go figure.

This was a disappointment in the sense that I actually like it. It starts out very dark, herbal, and earthy. Smells very realistic. As it's on for a while it starts to sweeten and the currant and fig comes out. It still has an herbal note to it, but it's no longer dominant and helps to keep it from going too sweet. The odd thing is, I get something that smells vaguely like beeswax? I can also see how some people get a soapy vibe from it, though on me it stops just shy of it.

And though at first it has a good throw, after it starts to dry it begins to stay closer to the skin.

I don't know how often I will wear this, but I will definitely be keeping the imp. I'm also very curious about how this would smell in an oil burner.