Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

Dance of Death

Dance of Death

A gloriously elegant representation of Lady Death. Dry, bone-white orris, black musk, serpentine patchouli and our murkiest myrrh.

in vial: spicy soap (often orris=soapy to me)...my husband says it smells like decaying meat (that may be the black musk speaking to him?)

wet: soap

dry: soap

verdict: I seem to have a problem with orris...off to swaps

Bottle (Imp): Oh, interesting, it has like a sharp sour thing going. No clue on ingredients of course. Silly nose.

Just On: Something familiar is tickling my nose, but I can't figure out what it is. This deepens up as soon as it hits my skin. n And oddly enough, it smells like dry air.

An hour or two later: Myrrh. Patchouli.

Around 6 hours: So much more depth now, and it is fitting it's name even better than I thought. I'm actually picturing a skeleton dancing, hauntingly sad, for she is in a tattered wedding dress, and I can almost hear the faint music in the background from her wedding day. She's dancing alone, and will draw you in (to dance with her, or die with her, depending). Or perhaps her partner is only in her imagination.

12 hours: I now *know* there is myrrh in there, I have that beautiful skin close powder thing that I *love*. I get that with amber, and sometimes a couple other scents as well. Well worth waiting for, as the first stages are neat too.

Overall: This one was a sleeper, I was pretty neutral, then started to warm up to it, and now, I'm loving it.

After reading other reviews: I never saw jasmine out of this, and I haven't a clue what orris smells like, so I guess that might be the sour thing that hit me at first. This is so very evocative of the name that were it my first BPAL trial, I'd have been just as hooked as I am now. Except this isn't a foody one, so it's even better that it strikes me so well.

after re-reading the description of this, i really wonder whatever possessed me to even try this one. i dont like patchouli, and dont like myrrh (except in one blend). naturally, i do not like dance of death. on me it smells like patchouli mixed with baby powder. reminds me of commercial 'old lady' perfume. :P

I admit, I haven't historically had much luck with most of the 'death' type scents. Pale Horse was okay but not distinguishable, Wings of Azrael was largely a failure, Jazz Funeral and Embalming Fluid were flops. I'd been about to write off the Funereal Oils as a whole until I got this one as a frimp.

I have to say, I really like this. It starts out almost piney (though I couldn't find pine in the desc, it might have a splash in it...might also be the myrrh), but then softens into a sort of general sweet-herby fragrance that I really like. It's green, and herbal, and clean-smelling without once dipping toward soap. It's sweeter than other green-herbal blends that I've tried, like Loup Garou, although I'd still sort of place it in the same category.

It has a gentle, ambiguously sweet throw that's nice without being cloying or the least bit foody. It's not powdery, and it doesn't reek like a head shop. I'd consider it something of a 'work' blend, something you could wear around the office and not feel like you're sitting in a halo of stink (even prettystink). Definitely keeping the imp. Don't know if I'll get a bottle, since I dunno how much I'll wear it really, but it's surely a keeper.

i like this ok. it was a frimp that i wouldn't have noticed otherwise, and those are always fun to try. it's simple and earthy, and the orris note is my favorite in this. i'm finding out i really like orris. it's got a delicate, elegant quality. the patchouli and myrrh are not glaring, they blend well, but the overall effect is not particularly evocative of anything, for me. as it dries it gets a bit baby oilish...is that the patchouli? i wish i could figure out which note does that on me. anyway, dance of death is ok...but it's not really grabbing me.

In the bottle: Sharp soap. Dial, as mentioned earlier, does come to mind, but this pokes the olfactory nerves a little more than that.

On my skin: Goes a bit soapy before completely disappearing on my skin.

This leaps out of the bottle with a strong white floral, underscored by patchouli's earthy darkness.

On the skin, down go the florals and out comes the patchouli and the sweet thrum of musk, like drums. The myrrh comes slithering out. This is like a dance, the scents are shifting rapid-fire. Out comes patchouli again. The orris appears in little bursts, like bouquets. There's a turned-earth smell to this, but it's not a cold smell. It's very hot and animal, and a little dirty, and very alive, like something that might crawl up your leg. Like the smell of incubating snake eggs. I know that's the black musk mixing with the patchouli, thick like tar. It's a feral kind of smell.

Composed of musk, patchouli, and myrrh, with nothing to sharpen or spice it up, this should be a slow-moving, dry scent, but it's actually quite lively and earthy on me. A real snake-dance of a scent.

I have to say that the first phase of this on me smells like hippies humping in a graveyard, but I say it with mad love. Sadly, then it dries out and goes powdery. Rather abruptly, too. It's the orris, doing what lilacs do on my skin, and crumbling to ash.

This one is going to be strongly influenced by how well you like patchouli, and whether or not your chemistry eats it or throws it out there. Mine picks it up easily. Also, if you tend to turn lilac scents powdery, this may well do the same. Orris is similar to lilac.

I truly loved the initial phase of it, but it's too strong for immediate reapplication, and the wet smell doesn't last long enough for me to keep it around. I'll try it again in case it was an isolated thing, but I don't think I'll keep this one.

In the vial: Something earthy and a wood, I think. Maybe a hint of something to sweeten it up a bit. These are not notes that I clearly recognize. Ah, but a hint of something sour.

Wet: Interestingly, this becomes powder on contact with my skin. Perfumed baby powder and I fear either roses of amber. I was going to say vanilla at first, but that disappeared fast.

Dry: It's a pity. I really do like whichever note it is that gives this a little kick, a little spice (patchouli, possibly, but who knows). I *am* getting a vanillic vibe now, but there's still that powdery note that tops everything and ruins it. So close to working for me.

*scratches head* My skin doesn't like me.

In the bottle: Very hard to describe, I haven't smelled anything like this before (even though I am familiar with three of the mentioned notes). Not really pleasant, but... you never know until you try it on!

On me: Nope, just like in the bottle, if not leaning even more towards unpleasant. I am unfamiliar with orris, but my skin usually likes the other three notes, and this was just... weird. As said, I haven't smelled anything like it before - it is vaguely motor-oily, but not quite. Anyway, I'll try and find a better home for it, since I can't wear it.

Edited by Diva Urd

Dance of Death

In the imp: dark, deep patchouli and black musk. A dark, earthy, ‘dirty’ scent.

Wet on skin: patchouli and black musk with the powdery sweet scent of orris creeping up.

Dry: whoa, this scent is very deep, gritty, earthy and dirty. I’ve noticed a lot of patchouli scents from the Lab have a lighter patch note that isn’t blatant, but not in here. The patchouli in here is very strong, competing with the sweeter darkness of the black musk as to which of the darker notes will dominate the scent, with the myrrh standing in between them, and orris just doing it’s own thing by adding a lighter, pale and powdery note to the scent.

After a while: there’s an interesting duality within this scent. It’s dark, earthy, black, smoky and deeply sweet thanks to the musk, myrrh and patchouli. But lying on top of this is the ghostly and pallid dusty scent of orris, adding a touch of something ethereal and almost delicate to the scent, bringing to mind the image of dark shadows cast by the pale, cold light of the full moon.

Verdict: this is a haunting, dark, earthy scent, gloomy and dark yet pale and wispy. A strong, rich patchouli merges with sweet, sinuous black musk and smoky myrrh to make a scent of deathly darkness, deep and almost mournful, very shadowy. But the lighter, powdery scent of orris lingers on top, this note is silvery and ghostly, dusty and almost fragile, the combination of this with the darker note is like the interplay of shadows and moonlight. A very atmospheric and well made scent, not something I need a bottle of but I’m keeping the imp-I quite like this.

btw: this doesn’t smell identical to Tramp on me but there is a slight similarity-only this is sweeter and powdery, but it has a similar patchouli feel.

Wet on Skin: mainly orris, with something deep behind it.

Initial Dry: On a surface level Dance of Death calls to mind my imp of Blood Pearl, which was all orris and musk (no coconut) on me, except underneath the orris is a much sharper/darker scent. I'm assuming the darker version of musk in DoD plus the patchouli & myrrh are the source of that extra sharpness.

Later: One hour in, this is rather powdery orris, with a sharp underneath. But about 2 1/2 hours in the 'musk magic meld' starts... not quite as good as on Blood Pearl (I believe it's a different kind of musk) but still smells quite lovely, with the background finally integrating nicely with the orris top.

Final Thoughts: not bad, much improved after the first few hours. If you like orris but Blood Pearl was too sweet/coconutty on you, give Dance of Death a try!

Bottle: patchouli and myrrh, smells like a hippy Pagan bookstore. :P

Wet: patchouli, musk coming forward as the myrrh steps back a touch.

Dry: more musk, but still the patchouli is the strongest note. A hint of the orris hovers at the back of the lot.

Later: It's warmer, rounder, and the patchouli is stepping back some, saved by the orris, I think. It's still sorta hippy-shoppy, but not so much that I can't wear it t all.

In the imp: Orris and musk, a little clinical smelling, and bringing with it a freakishly morbid ambiance too. (That could be me, though - I make too many visual associations with these blends.) :P

Wet: Patchouli and musk, laced with a little bit of myrrh. It's sobering - makes me think of coffin wood.

Drydown: Very woodsy and very dry. I think a little too dry for my tastes, actually. This might fare better on a guy than it does on me.

Verdict: I'll pass the imp along to my dad and see what he thinks. It's slipped back into full-on orris again, and cut off a bit of that claustrophobic stuck-in-a-six-foot-long box smell. Interesting? Yes, definitely.

There is something about wet patchouli on me that suggests squashed bug guts. Dance of Death gets better as it dries down but remains very sweet and dark.

It does not become a "dry white" scent on me, the patchouli or maybe dark musk hangs in there doing its headshop thing.

For dark patchouli lovers, this may be a great scent. But I can't really distinguish it from memory from Caterpillar, Masquerade and the ilk.

This was a frimp from a bottle order.

In the bottle: Good grief! the orris jumped out and punched me in the nose and there's that backroom of a head shop coming thru with the patchouli, you know when they burn incense to cover the smell of something else?

Wet: I don't think we're going to get along....I'm having flashbacks to Fire of Love, which turned into stinkbomb of love as soon as my skin chemistry and it got together.

Dry: Softens a bit, but still that patchouli note has me by the throat

15 minutes later.....I couldn't wait an hour! Washed off and into the swap pile it goes.

Rating (on skin): 0/5

Summarised in a word or two: Dirty, musky incense.

Preconceived notions: I'm very leery about trying this one. Dry? Black musk? Serpentine patchouli? Myrrh? Murky?! Oh, there is no way in Hades this will ever work on me. But still, I haven't tried it, and the imp is staring at me. With its eyes. So.

In the imp: Black, sharp musk and myrrh that leaves a dirty feeling in the back of my throat. This isn't going to end well.

On skin, wet: Thick, black, musky myrrh and unwashed-hippie -- oops, I mean patchouli. Sometimes patchouli loves me (Red Phoenix, how I love thee), sometimes it doesn't. It looks like DoD is going to be a "doesn't."

On skin, dry: Heady, thick, incensey and musky. And dirty. As much as I adore light, white and pale musks, the darker variety are the bane of my perfumed existance. Myrrh and patchouli aren't friends of mine, either. Soon, it becomes dusty and floral, which heralds the arrival of the promised dry orris.

Conclusion/Notes: Oh, this is so not me. I knew it wouldn't be. However, I have a need to try every imp that passes through my claws hands, if I've not tried it already. Dance of Death happened by, untried by me, and was thusly tried, and thusly deemed "Not Me."

This is greener than I had anticipated. Dance of Death is dark green and earthy. The patchouli is strong but smells cleaner than the usual "dirty stinky hippy" patchouli you might think of first. The musk is just not present for me. The orris is amazing! I think this is hte first time I have ever been able to smell orris in any of the Lab blends. I swapped for this on a whim but Dance of Death is going on my large bottle list.

I sniffed an imp... It was sweet, musky, and a little bit earthy in the bottle, but as soon as I put it on it was sour. I was hoping as it dried down the sweet musk scent I first smelled would come back... Alas, it didn't.

Still smells like sour dirt and musk on me. Boo :P

Ah, now this is a funereal oil

In the imp: Mmm...patchouli and myrrh--the uniting of religion and earth. I don't know orris (this is the first orris blend I've tried), but nothing unfamiliar is jumping out at me.

Wet: I love tried and true notes in new combinations. You're almost 100% positive you'll be happy, but there's always an element of surprise. This is the patchouli/incense stage of The Caterpillar (which I tested on the same arm) without any of the floral intervention. The result is elegant.

Drydown and wear: This dries into sweetened earth. That's really the best way I can describe it. There is nothing else suggestive of life like fruits or florals to "get in the way." This blend just proves how strong the myrrh is with me--it does not abate, even when the patchouli fades a bit. I likes it--although this wasn't an automatic decision, I did put this on my

A-list.

in the imp and fresh on my skin... all i smell is dry if that makes sense. i know there's a scent, but i can't figure out what it is cuz the back of my throat is too busy trying to figure out where the artificial sweetener came from (fake sweeteners make me incredibly thirsty and nothing makes that dry feeling go away)

as it dries down, i get a violetty/white floral that quickly turns a little soapy and powdery.

i get no musk or patchouli :P

final drydown: this reminds me of these violet candies (square, about lifesavers size, come in a metallic purple paper wrapping, been around for over a century, can't for the life of me remember who makes 'em-- they're hard to find outside of New Orleans, but some airports have 'em) that i usedta love... i smell the way i remember those tasting.

oh. they were these! Chowards Violet Mints.

Dance of Death is dark, dry and woody/incensey. It is very strong when I first apply it and smells like a “dirty hippie” scent, but as it dries down, it becomes mellower and the incense scent becomes less like a headshop and more like church incense. It’s a really warm, comforting blend, and I’m surprised at how much I like it considering that it’s darker than most blends I like. The patchouli doesn’t overwhelm me like it usually does, and the myrrh is surprisingly pleasant. Dance of Death is a phenomenal scent. I will be wearing this one again.

In bottle: White floral, patchouli in minute quantities. spicy and warm. a little sweet and musky. complex.

wet: very men's cologne-ish. brighter than in the bottle. Something like eucalyptus maybe? It's rich and earthy.

Dry: A bit powdery with a warmth to it. There's an undertone of spicy patchouli that's just perfect; patchouli overwhelms so easily but this is balanced. A bit of sweetness, from the myrrh perhaps? Not sure. Definitely makes me think of a green earthy smell, like compost. Decay turned to something rich.

This one's a keeper.

In the imp: Earthy and spicy.

On the wrist, wet: Sharp and perfumey. A 1950's-70's woman's cologne. A Shalimar type of scent, thick and musky. Not getting any individual notes in this.

On the wrist, dry: This really doesn't morph much, and it reminds me of my grandmother.

Final Analysis: Not me, off to the swaps.

Dance of Death-

In Bottle: A rich, chocolate-like note (goodness, everything reminds me of chocolate recently!).

Wet: Woody and very rich! A deep, hungry-making scent.

Dry: Oh, this is so nice. You can't tell me there's no chocolate evoked by this! It's a rich warm scent, almost masculine but certainly not too much so. This has nice lasting power, too.

Overall: I like a lot!