Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

Dance of Death

A gloriously elegant representation of Lady Death. Dry, bone-white orris, black musk, serpentine patchouli and our murkiest myrrh.

In bottle: Patchouli and orris.

On me: Huh. This is too *sweet*. Which is strange, because none of the notes listed tend to be sweet - save the myrrh, and that's not what this smells like. This is *syrupy*. And - that goes away. To something really dry, soft, and unpleasant... cave full of ancient bones, and a Death that hasn't showered in a while.

In the imp: Wow this is very deep. Strangely enough it reminds me of the inside of a local Indian grocery store.

Wet on skin: Aaaack! Patchouli attack. Have I mentioned I do not like patchouli?

Dry: It settles down into a woodsy, forest kind of scent. It's non-offensive but just not for me.

I received two packages from forumites on the same day; one contained the imp of Dance of Death I ordered, and the other contained a free sniffie of Dance of Death (since it was on my wishlist), which was very nice of the sender. I don't really mind receiving duplicates, because I get the chance to scope out potential aging effects or batch differences. I managed to get the last drop out of the empty Dance of Death, and tested one imp on each hand.

In the imp, both smell sharp and vinegary. My mother sniffed the imp and swore it smelled of formaldehyde, but I think that was just the influence of the oil's name.

On my skin, it softens up and is quite nice. I agree that this is a green smell, and that it smells vaguely like Lush Tramp. I figured at first, without looking up the notes, that it must have a few herbs in it. I picked up the sweet, powdery orris as it dried, but I wasn't able to identify the black musk (I think I may recognize it after this, though).

15 minutes in, the orris brings an almost coconut-like sweetness to the blend which is a welcome counter to the bitterness of the black musk and myrrh. However, the orris is much more noticeable on my right hand, where I tested the full imp. The empty imp contained a much darker scent; while they were definitely the same blend, the empty imp reminded me of crushed dry brown leaves, while the full imp was slightly more fresh, green, woodsy, and definitely sweeter. I prefer the imp that was full, but I couldn't say whether it was a batch difference or an aging effect, or which imp would have been older.

In the drydown is a powdery patchouli incense with a slight "baby powder" effect. I like it, but I don't need a bottle. I'm not sure if I will keep the imp; I don't think I'd wear this very much, but I will test it at least once more.

ETA: In the later drydown, when it's very faint, Dance of Death turns sweeter and smells almost like toasted marshmallows. Bizarre, I know.

Edited by ClareN

first sniff: Musk, patchouli, myrrh - hmm, the other note must be orris, then...I like it.

wet: Wow! You would think that with such strong notes this would be an assault on the nose, but this is beautifully blended.

dry: I can't begin to describe this with words. All the notes are there, but they make a combined scent that makes me feel :D.

Another magical frimp from the Lab! :P

In the imp: Musk, patchouli and a touch of orris. Rich and smooth. It does bear a resemblance to Lush's Tramp, and this makes me happy!

Wet: The patchouli jumps out immediately. Thankfully this isn't dirty patchouli, but the more rounded and smooth one.

Drydown: The orris starts to show itself, with it's dry and almost powdery self. There's a floral like note too, and the patchouli is rapidly disappearing.

Dry: Uhh... powder. And not just powdery orris (which I like) but baby powder. Which makes me think there's amber in this. Certainly black musk and patchouli like me, and when myrrh doesn't it goes bitter not powdery. Baby powder mixed with a little dirt. Uh... no.

At least I still have Tramp.

In the imp and wet on my skin, Dance of Death smelled like hazelnuts. Yeah, no idea where that came from. Now I think I'm getting the musk and myrrh over patchouli. This one really seems to like my skin. But it likes me more than I like it. Still, I'll keep it around.

In the imp, it's musky, sweet-sad, and remote.

The myrrh starts coming out when it's applied to my skin.

At twenty minutes or so, it's going faintly powdery, but it's still got too much murky bite to be baby powder. Stays in that kind of limbo for a while; I think the orris and musk are keeping that in there.

Two hours: ...oh, hell. Baby powder.

*sigh* For all the softer Ars Moriendi that I try, only Shroud seems to be working with me. (Haven't really tried the sharp ones except for Embalming Fluid, which is its own clean cool wonder and delight.)

Love and coffee,

Frances

IN THE BOTTLE: "Hi! My name is patchouli!"

WET ON SKIN: Intense flash of patchouli.

DRYDOWN: Patchouli still, but the orris and myrrh are coming out to play.

OVERALL: While patchouli remains the strongest note, the orris and myrrh eventually bring it to heel and don't allow it to overpower all else. This is a night wind in the high desert, dry and sharp. I like it enough to want a full 5ml bottle.

Edited by Shollin
Removed Lab description --Shollin

I am not a fan of orris and add it to patouli.... The effect is not my thing. I am generally fond of myrrh and musk, but both are overpowered by less pleasing elements. It is not a bad fit for it's concept though. It is dry and tomblike and does evoke the incense of funereal rights. Nothing I would wear, but not that distressing.

From the description and the reviews, I was completely positive that I was going to love this one.

So sure, in fact that I bought a .5 ml blindly.

Unfortunately, this one ended up being one of the few oils that reacted badly to my body chemistry. At least I think that must be it if so many people love it and think it smells like things I normally love.

It smells great in the bottle, green and lovely.

On my wrist? Instant freaking BABY POWDER which is one of the smells that nauseates me.

*sigh* I wish this one worked but live and learn and trade I guess! :P

Bottle: Ack!Musk!

Wet: Dark Musk, orris and patchouli are all no-noes! This blend is so dark, I'm afraid it's gonna get me!

Drydown: I get a sort of hospital or morgue sense from this blend. It really is death-like. Gah! :P

2.5 outta 5

i was hoping this would turn more resin and incense like. unfortunately, i got a headache and none of the mrryh or patchouli kicked in. i think i got a lot of musk and orris. i tried to wait for minutes to pass for dry down and nothing changed. i still had a headache and it was still not kicking in any of the notes i like.

in the imp this smelled like damp earth.

yum.

when i first put it on, damp earth.

yum.

it faded fast on me, but i can still smell it faintly if i put my wrists right up to my nose and now it's sweet, earthy...like moist earth, sweet fruits, and sweet florals.

smells excellent in my locket...just doesn't last long on my skin.

lovely, though!

Musky, murky and sweet with a bitter, dry note to it. It stays pretty much the same on me from start to finish. But, since it is a lighter scent, my skin eats it in less than two hours. For all the patchouli and myrrh this doesn't turn into 'incense' on me. Instead it remains a bit of flowers-and-earth which is rather lovely. Yay for the Labbies and their impeccable choices!

Very earthy and woodsy in the imp.

Wow, this one smells like paper or...actually what I imagine really dry dusty bones would smell like. I don't think i've ever sniffed anything that smelled so dry before. Very evocative!

I wouldn't wear this, but I'm glad I tried it at least once, because it is one of those blends that really paints a picture in your mind. Very cool.

Edited by Shollin

Patchouli is the dominant note in Dance of Death. Despite its woodsy dominance, it is finely balanced by a sweet, resinous myrrh and a soft, deep musk. The overall impression that I get from this is Incense.

I do like this, but I'm not interested enough to slather it on and wear it today.

Dark and powerfully haunting.

3.5 out of 5

in bottle: for some reason seems green.

wet on skin: initially it is somehow dry and white (this bit is cool!), then i get musk, the myrrh is there too, then the patchouli peeks out.

drying: heady patchouli (but only sticking nose up against wrist is it heady) and musk, but the orris root is managing to just balance it out nicely making it a bit wicked.

bit later: the myrrh is dominant for a brief moment, mmm... that is a yummy myrrh.

but after that it is just patchouli/musk for for almost two hours - what happened to my cool, wicked scent? finally the patchouli/musk mellow & it is nice, but not interesting - i really wanted to capture the first few moments when it was dry and white on my skin or when the orris root was peeking out above the other notes

edit: this is doing my head in - a few hours later it is very very faint, but similar to the stage i liked 2nd most with the orris root peeking out - if only it was stronger - will have to test again

Edited by ladyver

Frimped. The name and description made me anxious to try it.

In the Imp: Spicy spicy spicy. I smell nothing but that smell. Is that myrrh? I have always thought of myrrh as an evocative scent...one I thought I was somewhat familar with. Maybe I'm not. This smell doesn't do it for me in many blends - so if it is myrrh, I need to avoid it in oils, I guess.

On Wet: Giant, obnoxious explosion of whatever the mysterious spice smell is.

Drydown: After twenty minutes character started to shine through; that is, I could smell something besides the spice. The dry orris is Dance of Death's saving grace. There is a very ancient, dusty aspect peeking through, I am enjoying it in all of it's exquisite creepiness. I agree with the one who said it smells like something by Lush sometimes -I get that when the sweet part rises back up.

ETA: The drydown of this, once it happens, produces the dustiest, most calming crypt scent. If it smelled like this a bit sooner, I would need several bottles.

Nice enough in the end, but waiting so long to get to the good part is too much for me~

Edited by Indig0

Huh, weird.

In the bottle, very flowery. Opening the bottle releases a sour smell. Wet on skin, sourness goes away instantly, leaving a putty-like smell (that is the orris root).

Can't smell the patchouli or the myrrh. This a very stark scent, for all that it has powerful ingredients.

LATER: it's been a few hours, and seems to have settled down. This reminds me a LOT of some popular scent from the 80's. I want to say "Calvin Klein's Obsession", not sure if that is right. Considering the bangy ingredients, and the disappointingly subdued results, I think this one goes in the trade bag.

I got this as a frimp, and my anal-retentive ways are forcing me to test it, even if I know that anything with patchouli is not my friend.

In the imp, this is all patchouli - a bad sign for me.

On my skin, it's a blend of the patchouli and the myrrh.

When it dries, it's still patchouli. I need to learn - if a scent has less than five notes, and one of them is patchouli, I need to steer clear. Sigh.

In the imp: The musk, patch and myrrh together are very black. It's kind of amusing to mix that with the lighter iris root. You definitely get the light and the dark alternating. But it's overall really too thick for me.

In the imp, musk and orris, I think.

Wet on me...myrrh and musk and patchouli. Dark darkity darkness.

Yum.

I'll have to see how sweet the musk goes on me, before I know if this is a keeper. Sometimes it works, and sometimes I am wearing candy.

I don't know. I thought for a minute it was going candy on me, but, it settled down. We'll see.

Edited by Aerinha

Imp age: A month?

In the imp: Patchouli like whoa! I like patchouli when combined with other notes that reduce the hippie effect (not that I have anything against hippies, it's just not my scent style), but this might be too much for me.

On: Very dark, gritty patchouli on the forefront. I can smell the myrrh sweetening this up a little, and I think it's the orris that's adding that dry, white tang. Overall very earthy patchouli.

Drydown: Strangely enough, my skin eats up the patchouli, and I'm left with the dusty, tangy strangeness that I assume is the orris, with just a touch of myrrh (which is threatening to go baby powder on me, but is resisting for the moment). Dance of Death was wet and murky before, but now it's bone-dry tomb dust, with the slightly threatening edge of black musk. This is a long-forgotten tomb, silent for centuries but still dark with the promise of death.

Overall: So completely not my style.. but I'm glad I have an imp! Dance of Death is incredibly evocative, and I'll wear it happily when I want something really different!

Color association: Sand and shadows.

Throw: Moderate