Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

Santo Domingo

An exotic, sultry blend of tobacco leaf, bay rum and heady Caribbean blossoms.

When first applied, this is a very fresh, light floral blend with spicy undertones. But after complete dry down, I get the tobacco tones which I am not sure I am that crazy about. This might be one that I pass on to my hubby.

Santo Domingo-

In Bottle: A little bit floral, a little bit salt-ozone, and even a tiny bit of evergreen.

Wet: Florals bloom. Is that rose? No, I don't think so. Just...florals, subdued ones. And still a little aquatic smell.

Dry: I think I like this smell in theory more than for what it is. I love the idea of bay rum and tobacco leaf, but the other bay rum BPAL scent I've tried didn't work for me, smelled old-man-ish. And though this scent fades kind of quickly, does not really proclaim itself *wonderful* for me, it is nice, pleasant, and, hey, it contains bay rum and tobacco leaf, so, yay, I can wear those scents!

Overall: Pleasing, for odd reasons!

Lab frimp!

Wet on the skin? Oooooh-ho yeeeeeaaahh. LOVE. Yummy tobacco and rum and all manly and makin' me wanna do impolite things to the boy. :P

Dry down? Getting floral. Don't get floral. Go back to being man sex!

Then it just...goes.

Away.

Way away.

Well THAT was lousy sex, Mr Domingo!

Imp: Whoo, that's sharp! >_<

Wet: Pine? There aren't any pine notes listed!

Drydown: I can smell the different components wrestling with my skin chemistry. It's disconcerting to have in the same breath sharp-flower-cleaner-rum going on distinctly.

Dry: Still that minty-pine edge, and little else. Faint and not-me.

My rating: 1/5. Not for me.

In the imp: Expensive floral perfume.

On the wrist: Heavy floral, not in a good way.

Drydown: Powder.

Overall: I should know better than to get an imp with "heady" anything, what was I thinking? Swapped.

In the imp: A sharp, woodsy floral. It really does smell like wandering the market places in Santo Domingo.

Wet on skin: Very true to the description. Tobacco leaf and bay rum with the hint of gardens going through in a breeze.

Dry down: This was a wee bit too masculine for me. It's true not only to the description but also to the city itself, which I find amazing that someone could replicate so perfectly!

Floral and a touch of salty sea. It comes on strong and then fades. There are better Caribbean scents for me

Santa Domingo

Boozy baby wipes. Whenever I try to analyze it otherwise, that's what my mind returns to.

[1 - Hate] .. [2 - Dislike] .. [3 - Like] .. [4 - Really Like] .. [5 - Love]

2 : I could make a joke here, but I won't. :P

In the imp: Tobacco and flowers

On Skin: Flowers and smokey rum

Drydown: Hothouse flowers and a hint of smoke with a splash of rum

Verdict: The florals really takeover for me in this blend. I'm not a huge smoke/booze person but this doest make me think of the tropics and just the heat, the flowers and sort of ... well, being piratey.

I can definitely pick up the tobacco leaf and bay rum, but they seem a little strong - rather overwhelming the blossoms. I can smell the tavern by the dock. I can't smell the flowers growing outside. It's a scent for the evening - for drinking and smoking - it's not a day time scent.

I like this, but I've tried quite a few scents which seem to have the same notes and they are just a bit nicer. It also smells a little of aftershave - I wonder if it might work quite well on one of the BPAL wearing boys I know.

Bottle: Rum and flowers

Wet: Tobacco, rum and flowers. Maybe the tiniest hint of salt.

Drydown: It's sharp still, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. The tobacco is the most prevelent, and I'd hoped the rum would be.

3.0 outta 5

This is a nice, mellow scent for me; It is mainly just tobacco and bay rum, not too much of caribean blossoms. But then, perhaps I would know a caribbean blossom if it hit me over the nose. I think this will go in my Like pile- enough to keep the imp, probably not enough to buy a bottle.

In the imp: Bay rum. I love bay rum.

On my skin: Aren't there supposed to be flowers in this? Checks description. Yup -- blossoms is flowers. I get all rum and sexy-man scent. In fact, this blend is THE most masculine scent from bpal I've tried.

Where are my flowers???????

This is a gorgeous men's cologne on me. I feel like I've been necking all night with a hot pirate and he's lent me his leather frock coat to walk home in.... It's a little salty sea air, a little boozy from the bottle of rum we shared, with a warm leather edge (I'm not claiming I get a leather note, the blend just reminds me of leather-jacket smell).

Waaaaaaaaaaaay too manly for me. I need to go roll in Blood Countess now.

I will definitely try it on the Man, though -- unlike some other bpal cologne-y scents I've tried, which have been too sophisticated for him, he may connect with this. Of course, it'll probably be all Caribbean blossoms on him!

Best,

Tzi

In the imp: mostly smells sweet-spicy to me. Kinda cinnamon-y.

Wet, on me: oh, here come the florals. Really lush, wet smelling flowers. The cinnamon-y smell is lurking, but it's much less intense than it was in the bottle. I also get the smell of old tobacco smoke, though it's mainly hidden under the flowers and spice.

Dry, on me: hey, where did my flowers go? Suddenly all i can smell is the tobacco smoke. Smells like someone was smoking here a while ago. Finally, i get a whiff of the rum smell, which adds a nice sweetness to the smoke scent. The dry scent reminds me of lazy naked summer days. Hmm.

Throw and duration: good throw (a foot away), good duration (maybe 6 hours).

Overall: i like it, it's definitely an evocative and interesting smell. But i don't love it, and it's definitely not the best scent on me.

In the Bottle: Very floral soap

On Me: If I really breath in, I can smell the rum, maybe some coconut, the tabacco leaf and it all reminds me of my travels south. If I only kind of sniff at it, it's soap. Disappointing

YUM! Bay rum and a Tobacco that I can actually wear and love for hours! No headaches!

Santo Domingo is wearable but highly masculine cologne, a sharp and spicy salt blend. If there are flowers in here, they don't want to come hang out with me. I'm getting all bay rum and ocean salt, with an almost impreceptible spicy backdrop of pipe smoke. It may smell a bit old-fashioned at times- very "perfume", but this is a good thing in my book. I like perfumes that smell like perfume- like someone took the time and acquired the expertise to colbie elements- and I love men's fragrances on women, so Santo Domingo and I are going to get along fine.

Santo Domingo will work on anyone who loved Old Spice as a kid, or anyone who hears the review "too soapy" and wonders how smelling like soap could EVER be a bad thing. I really enjoyed it.

Imp: Oooh, this is lovely. It smells mainly of tobacco with an underlying base of bay rum. To my nose it smells like a true bay berry bay rum rather than a bay laurel rum but YMMV.

Wet: Fresh tobacco. Surprisingly nice. It smells like a freshly opened pack of cigarettes which, personally, I enjoy the pre-lit scent of.

Dry: Quite nice. The tobacco stays close to the skin and I amp up the sweetness of the rum. I can smell a bit of the floral but it's not overpowering.

Throw: Nice. It's because I'm trying three scents at once and now they're all battling for dominion.

Overall: What a fun scent. I don't think I'm in need of a bottle, but I like the imp and might buy another when this one's gone.

I ordered this with a couple of batches of imps and am eagerly awaiting its arrival - mostly because I've *been* to Santo Domingo and I'm curious to see if it reminds me of the place at all.

See, when I think of the city, the aromas that come to mind are that of the salty sea wind, stones and iron baking in the summer heat, and the occasional waft of ripe mango on the breeze. Maybe a bit of green sweet sugarcane fields too, but that was outside the city....

Bottle: Sweet tobacco smoke dancing on a pool of boozy dark spirits.

Wet: I am surrounded by wafting gentlemens tobacco. It's crisp and burnt...

Dry: The scent of white blossoms, their petals dripping with sticky sweet booze. The tobacco is less prominant but it's still not as sweet as I would like it to be.

I smell ever so slightly of smokey soap... and thats not good.

Edited by TulaMontage

With reference to my prior post, it ended up reminding me of walking past a tobacco shop in the city. I think this would suit me better as an incense than on my skin.

In the imp, flowers and tobacco.

Wet on me, flowers, but I have no clue what kind. Rioting flowers in a jungle. The tobacco vanished into the background.

Drying, still flowers. Still no idea what kind of flowers. No rum, and the tobacco is not in evidence.

Dry, on my wrists, the tobacco comes back first, then I can smell it on the hand and elbow. It's only a base note underneath all the flowers, like a leafy platter spread with too many flowers to name or count.

In Vial: Strong and perfumy

Wet: Smells like old perfume and wet wood. Getting a hint of baby powder here.

Later: This smells incredibly soapy on me. Perfumey. Still baby powder

At first, it's the sexiest bay rum scent. Mmmm! And then it hits my skin, which absorbs most of the bay rum, leaving...a bit of rum, a bit of tobacco, a bit of wood, and the vaguest hint of soapy floral. I think I like it in both of its forms, but it doesn't last long.

I don't know what carribean blossoms are in this blend but rose is the only thing I picked up from this scent. I also get no salt or bay rum, unless its the spice that I smell with the rose???

Wet on skin: Subtle flowers, with a little something spicy.

Dry on skin: FULL FRONTAL ROSE BLOOMS!!! :P But not the sickeningly sweet of tea rose, like a fresh crisp rose that has just bloomed. (or I should say several thousand roses blooming at once)

Complete Drydown: Subtle soft pink rose. Then it fades to that same light spice from the beginning with a little bit of rose.

Overall: Although I hate rose as a note, this was quite different. I am actually willing to keep this one and finally say that I have a rose scent that I can wear! :D

Edited by Dark Alice

in the imp: sweet tobacco, sweet flowers. reminds me just a bit of Black Lace- must be the tobacco. :D

wet on skin: uh oh. it's getting veeeeery soapy on me. :P

dry down:the soapy quality mostly is gone, leaving a definite combination of Black Lace and island florals.

in all: on a different person i could see this being THE perfect GC sub for Black Lace. but not for me. also, i don't know if it's related or just coincidence, but i had a total sneezing fit in the moments between sniffing it from the vial and putting it on my skin.