Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

Santo Domingo

An exotic, sultry blend of tobacco leaf, bay rum and heady Caribbean blossoms.

this is good, the rum is nice, the flowers are too girlie for me though. Just don't think floral scents are ever gonna work on me. Can't smell the tobacco at all. Unfortunatley it goes a bit soapy on me. Only slightly, but enough to end its possibilities immediately.

I really like the rum scents I've tried (Grog coming to mind here) but the florals in this one didn't agree with me. It might have partially been the tobacco too -- it's a heady scent, sticky sweet and bitter.

Santo Domingo

In the imp: sweet, almost resinous or vanilla-ish, slightly herbal and a tad smoky.

Wet on skin: bay rum, a sweet dark booze scent, with dry, smoky tobacco.

Dry: mmm, not bad! The scent is very sultry indeed, laid back, warm and sweet. I get the impression of dark, sugared rum here, it’s not blatantly boozy but the bay lends a herbal touch. Underneath is the tobacco, which is smoky and smouldering gently. The Caribbean blooms lend a lighter, softer sweetness to the scent but don’t overwhelm or make the scent very floral-this is more about the sweet rum and tobacco. I like this a lot, it’s a very relaxed scent, warm and at times, a bit spicy.

After a while: mmm, I like this. Smoky, warm, swirling and relaxed. The scent doesn’t just smell of rum and tobacco but I also detect something a bit like sugar or caramel or vanilla, and dark spices? I think I also detect a floral note which reminds me of ylang-ylang…and cloves! Yes, I think there’s clove in here-I’m not sure if I’m correct here but aren’t cloves an ingredient in bay rum? That would explain the spice in here.

After a few hours, oddly, I get a dark spicy carnation scent and then this turns into musk and vanilla…which is unusual.

Verdict: I like the way this smells exotic and Caribbean without smelling blatantly or stereotypically tropical, yet still smelling warm and sultry and very, very laid back. Rum and tobacco are the main notes but even they have complexity, especially the rum. I’m not sure but I think bay rum is spicy as well as herbal, as I definitely get a very sweet, spicy (I’m guessing cloves) and dark rum scent, like it’s had brown sugar or even vanilla added to it, with an almost incense like undertone of smoky tobacco-but later I get musky tones to the scent. The floral notes are very light, not showy or flashy, and they definitely don’t turn this scent into a flower-fest. I like this a lot-not enough to get a bottle, but for those lazy days when I want a bit of the mellow warmth of a summer evening, this is perfect.

In the vial:

Heady florals with a kick of something woodsy

On me:

You know, I have wanted to try this one for a long time. Rum and tobacco? It sounds like it's right up my alley, but for some reason I just never got an imp. Luckily, the lab frimped me with it and I get to try it finally!

I really really want to get what most people are getting out of this one - sexy and heady tobacco and rum. But immediately, this scent goes woodsy on me. It's very strange, but I'm getting a distinct wood smell. The rum is there for sure, I can smell it just a little bit in the background. And this is definitely heady and fragrant, but usually tobacco goes sweet and warm and spicey on me, and I'm not getting any of that!

A while later though - there it is!! The tobacco! It's spicey sweetness is a welcome scent and it mingles well with that rum scent. If there are any florals here they are very subtle but it all works together well to make a very exotic scent. Not exactly a beachy scent to my nose, but if you were on a beach having a late night dinner in a slinky red dress - this would be the kind of scent you'd wear!

Final note:

It wasn't working on me at first, but I'm glad in the long run that this scent delivers. Very sultry!

i *heart* bay rum.

too bad i don't get any out of this imp.... i don't get tobacco leaf, either. all i get is tropical flowers. there might be a little bit of a wood or resin somewhere behind it all that'll come out in another few hours, but so far... too Barbie Takes A Carnival Cruise Vacation to the Caribbean for me.

Santo Domingo is a gorgeous, rummy fragrance. It smells exactly like I would expect the Caribbean islands to smell. Mostly rum, a hint of tobacco, and something else that’s green and tropical. I am pleased that this is one BPAL tobacco fragrance that doesn’t make me sick after a few hours – so far, the first one. I suppose that’s because the tobacco note is so light. I like this a lot and can imagine wearing it when I am in the mood for something sunny and tropical.

This is an interesting scent. It's suitable for a woman but I think it's better suited for a man. If your looking for a BPAL fragrance for your fella, check ou this one. It has a light tobacco note, and a light rum note. The floral notes are very, very soft. It starts to smell a bit spicey after a few hours. It's definatley one of the better tobacco scents.

This is a very *safe* pretty floral blend. Great to wear to events where you want some sort of fragrance but don't want it to be overpowering. Very pretty and soft.

Sigh. Yet another rum scent that turns to water on me... I was so hoping for the F54 feeling! Instead Santo Domingo hits my skin and morphs into a watery spice, just as Baron Samedi and Port-Au-Prince do. My nose is unable to pick up flowers, tobacco, or anything else interesting. Next!

Sultry is definitely the word.

Santo Domingo smells much lighter + sharper in the imp, though the tobacco is definitely there in the background.

On my skin it turns much richer and I'm sure I can smell bananas. The overall scent is so beautifully blended that no one note stands out, but there's definitely a rich, golden tobacco-and-rum base with a hint of honey. The Caribbean blossoms aren't too floral but they're definitely there, softening the rich base.

I agree with Brianne - a scent to wear with a silk dress, in a wooden bar, with Bebo Valdes on piano in the background...(ok so he's Cuban but you get the picture...)

eta: one day later... with completely different hormones singing in my bloodstream: this has mellowed out into a laid-back floral scent. I don't generally go for generic florals, but I'm liking this a lot.

Edited by Cariad

Bottle: boozy tropical floral.

Wet: this is taking on the air of a perfume I've smelled before, possibly from one of my grandmothers - it's going powdery, sweet-floral, and the boozy is lending itself to a alcohol-y fake affect.

Dry: still old lady perfumed closet or drawer; no booze, lots of powder.

Later: there is no sultry for me here, alas.

Reminds me of a classy bar. The tobacco is on top, and it's a sweet tobacco note, sort of like the expensive pipe tobacco you smell in a smoke shop. The rum is next, just under the tobacco but strong enough for me to classify this as a rather boozy scent. Although the florals are a lovely undertone, and they are very tropical smelling, this scent still strikes me as a bit masculine. There is not a lot of throw with this one. A nice scent, but not my kind of thing.

rec'd a gift imp from the generous silverlilac (thank you, dear!)

Santo Domingo is right in the group of fragrances I seem to most like (well, one of those groups). It reminds me a bit of Sin, a bit of Hunger, a bit of...well, oddly, Faustus. And perhaps somewhat like Lust--spice/fruit/naughtiness.

Spicey flowers, not quite carnations, but sweet clove/honey. A certain sexiness as well.

I was surprised to read the notes--but I have such a naive nose; I just sit sniffing and going "umm, very delicious!" and sort of purring.

Silk dresses, elegance, and smoke.

In the bottle: A rather fresh herbal scent, hard to describe apart from "tropical".

Wet: Tobacco and rum, I think, very fresh, nearly minty. I start getting florals, soft white waxy flowers.

Drydown: Hm, I get a bit of almondy rum, which is the typical bay rum I got in Port Royal, and a light dusting of tobacco and flowers. The flowers are extremely discrete, the note that comes out most is the rum. There's jasmine in the florals, as far as I can tell, as well as another floral I can't quite put my finger on. It goes on to smell like burnt sugar, as rum classically does on me, and stale cigarettes.

Overall: At first a quiet, warm exotic blend, that would probably work well on a man, too. It's pleasant at first, but the drydown is sickening. It smells exactly like a bar, with booze and stale cigarette smoke everywhere.

In the bottle, this smells very strongly of tobacco, and very little else. Once it’s on it gets a bit boozy (rum, to be specific), and very heady. It’s a bit strong for my liking, actually.

Once it begins to dry, I’m getting the sense of flowers, but I can’t put my finger on anything in particular. The floral scent definitely plays down the other two notes, which is nice, because they were definitely overpowering at first. It's become a very cool, breezy scent.

Overall, one this has it its final stage, I rather like it. If only there were a way to accelerate the drydown period…

I got this a frimp just today. I am usually very iffy about tobacco scents, it depends on what it is paired with- so i decided to see what this did on me.

In a few words, not so good. I could not get any floral in this, just tobacco and a hint of rum. Even though I don't loove florals, I wanted them to be in this blend to mellow out the tobacco. Gr. This is way to masculine and, um, swarthy pirate for me. I like those qualities and all, but, you know, on someone else.

Ah well, someone else will love I'm sure!

imp: bright, warm, and with lush tropical florals.

wet: same. Has a HINT of acridness in backgound, but not unpleasant.

dry: LOVELY LOVELY LOVELY tropical flowers. A hint of soapyness, but still very nice. A possibility.

Later...barely there...

In the imp: Tobacco, tropical flowers, and rum

Wet on my skin: The rum is out of control! The tobacco and tropical flowers are reduced to bit players. I smell like I've been on a bender in an exotic tropical location.

Drydown: Oh no, the drydown is pure soap on me. It is a nice soap, but still . . .

Overall: Meh. I might have liked this one if the notes would have stayed true on me, but instead I am underwhelmed. It was good while it lasted.

In the imp: Bay rum.

Wet: More Bay rum with an undercurrent of tobacco, and maybe some flowers. The bay rum is pretty strong.

Dry: Spicy tobacco. YAY! I was a bit worried about this one because the bay rum was SOOO strong at first, but it's taken a back seat and now it's spicy tobacco with a bit of a flowery touch in the back. This smells vaguely like a commercial perfume I've smelled before. No idea which one. Only this one doesn't make me sneeze and run screaming. The flowers are a tiny bit powdery, and it really makes this one very pleasant. It's a nice non-descript scent on me. I probably won't get a bottle, but the imp will stick around.

At first I smell the bay rum, but it fades in about ten minutes which is fine by me -- boozy smells tend to give me a headache. Then Santo Domingo is a gorgeously soft floral -- sort of like a combo of Alice and Eos, only without the honey/milk/jasmine sour smell I get from them.

This is really nice. Not sure if I want a bottle, but I'd recommend it to those who like Alice or Eos, and/or had troubles with either of those two.

eta: lies! I think there may be jasmine or something similar in here, because after an hour this has turned a bit sour on me. :P Still wearable, but not my favorite.

Edited by maribouquet

This is an oddly androgynous scent -- not so much in the sense of being gender-neutral as being strongly gendered in both directions at once. The tobacco/bay rum blend is quite masculine, but it's overlaid with all kinds of flowers, and the end result is something that seems to be screaming "Man!" and "Woman!" at the same time. It could probably be worn by either.

It's an interesting scent -- "exotic and sultry" does fit it. It's heady and spicy and slightly intoxicating-smelling, and very much does evoke the feel of the Caribbean. I could see wearing it to a Vodoun ritual or something. It defintely smells like something you'd find in a botanica...

I don't think it's really "me" as a perfume, but it's pleasant enough, and very much evokes the feeling it's supposed to, so well done anyway.

Grade: B-

In vial: Spicy cinnamon and flowers.

Wet: old spice. Eep.

Drydown: It's very light, but still quite old spice-ish. Not a blend for me.

I like the rum and tobacco leaf combination, and it smells like a spicy, interesting scent. A little on the sweet side, but the florals seem smoky instead of heady. Overall not a bad scent, but it seems like it might be a little too masculine for me.

Oooh, a lot of things I can't pick out. This is my favorite kind of blend, it's like a huge mystery to me. (There are a lot of scents like that, hehe, my nose is very "beginner.")

Smells a little cologne-y in the imp -- probly mostly because, like I said, I lack the ability to pick these notes out.

AHAHAHA, this kind of reminds me of a LUSH scent while it's drying. I can't quite put my finger on it; it's good though. But sadly, when dry, the bay rum (I believe) ends up imparting an aftershave tinge that is a little too masculine for me.