Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
anmorata

Chaste Moon 2005

Though March marks the end of the desolation and chill of winter, it is not yet Spring, the time of rebirth, fertility and the Earth’s fecundity. March’s Full Moon is a Virgin’s Moon, pure, youthful, unsullied and innocent. This is the Moon of the Child, and the scent is as soft and gentle as a baby’s breath: milky blossoms and soft cream touch the last buds of winter, coupled with crystalline, bright traditional Lunar oils.

This is the first lunar blend that I've tried and I' really pleased with it. Wet in the bottle it smells very buttery and almost like cheesecake. I was a bit worried because foody scents don't seem to work well for me. The first few minutes of wearing it, it smells fruity and sweet to me, almost like a faint hint of pineapple. After that fades this turns into a very light, soft and creamy scent- quite lovely and perfect for spring! :P If Chaste Moon was a color it would be the palest yellow. I will be coveting my bottle of this for sure. :D

My very first lunar blend, and god I love it.

In the bottle it smells like kind of a boozy butterscotch, rather strong and in your face. Once on me, it turns into slightly floral pina colada. Absolutely delicious. It brings to mind a creamy, very pale yellow color. Chaste Moon has some good lasting power too...five hours later and it's still easily noticable, although now it's turned a little more buttery.

I may need to find another bottle of this :P

In bottle and wet on skin- sweet, thick butterscotch. I also get toasted coconut, sort of like what I get from Spooky. It's much more pleasant than I anticipated (I'm not a butterscotch lover).

Wearing- wow, this is now totally and completely different. It has become a floral scent. It's a good mix, and it's hard to pix out any flower in particular, but it is definitely totally and completely floral. All of the traces of butterscotch and coconut are gone. It's a warm and creamy floral for the duration of it's life on me.

In the bottle, I also got that "Butterscotch" smell. I wasn't too crazy about that, but as we all know, bottle smell rarely is a good indication of how it wears!

Wet it still smelled buttery and sweet, but less so than in the bottle.

Dry: it is very nice and smooth. Kind of reminds me of a pina colada! Creamy and vaguely pineapple/coconutty. Makes me think about cruise ships and beaches. Which is fine by me!

Wet Butter rum

In the Bottle Butter rum, cream, and some faint flowers....... reminds me of a candle my grandmother would burn.... The floral is interesting....... I'm hoping the sugariness of the butter rum will fade. It's really strong..... and kinda making me nautious...... there is something faintly cinnamony..... and I am getting a craft store smell here. ::wrinkles nose::

Drydown It's atleast calmed down a bit. Smells of faintly cinnamon flowers........ ehhhhh. I don't like, I don't like! It reminds me of a syruppy, floral egg nog. Not me at all.

Two Hours Later There is something tea like emerging.... hmmmm...... a spicy tea...... It's a lot better, but still, I get a wave of cream and butter rum, and yuck. It's too much.

Verdict Not me. I just don't do the whole vanilla-y, creamy, foody, sugary sweet scents. :P

In the bottle: Butterscotch? Butter popcorn? I almost didn't try it on!

On my wrist: Thank goodness I'm not a complete idiot. I put this on and fell head over heels for it. After about 30 seconds the buttery smell disappeared and creamy sweet floral goodness took over. This is beautiful!!! As has been said before, it wafts very nicely and lasts for a long time, but isn't overpowering at all. It's just a lovely smell that drifts around you and makes everything seem a bit nicer than usual.

I love how on drydown it fades until there's just the teensiest bit of sweetness and an impression of coolness left on my wrist. There's something lovely and a bit remote about it.

ETA: Oh, and a weird association: For the first half hour or so, all I could think of was a scented Strawberry Shortcake doll I had when I was little. Not sure why- the smell was similar, but without fake strawberry or plastic involved. Maybe it's the whole innocent childhood thing. Who knows?

Edited by alston78

I am surprised by how much I love Chaste Moon. After reading the reviews and seeing butterscotch and buttery popcorn, and comparisons to some of the autumn scents (which I like, but it is spring, so I didn't want any more of those right now) and Snow White (which is lovely but too strong and overwhelming for me) I was VERY worried.

Luckily all my worrying was for naught. I do get the butterscotch note mentioned in other reviews. However, it's lighter than in any of the other blends I've smelled it in. And upon application the lunar notes come out, giving it that shimmery, luminescent feel that most of the lunar oils have. After a while all of Chaste Moon's components seem to find a way to live in harmony on my skin, and I'm left with a sweet, creamy smell that somehow manages to avoid being foody.

I keep trying to reach for the other oils I ordered, but I have to admit to having a really hard time with it as I've really fallen hard for this one. It's my second favorite lunar, after Blue Moon. Oh! And I do get why people compare it to Snow White, but it's much lighter, at least on me, and it's much more wearable.

This smells exactly like the description: milky blossoms with cream. It's definitely a floral scent, but the creamy notes keep it from being too flowery. The lunar oils are definitely there, and they are indeed "crystalline" and "bright" (I think this is where some people get "mint" from--the sharp brightness of these oils).

This is very soft and...well, chaste. It doesn't last long on me but is very pretty while it's around. It reminds me of babies, and it's very feminine.

The bottle smells very foody and slightly alcoholic. In fact, Bailey’s Irish Cream comes to mind with maybe a bit of a nuttier (think raw coconut) edge.

The butterscotch that others have pointed out is there very briefly, but it mutes almost immediately after touching my skin. The oil takes on a light, powdery quality that reminds me of a vanilla talcum blend. As it warms, the florals come to light. But they’re absolutely the stuff of baby’s breath and other unassuming flowers, slightly spicy in their newness as young petals tend to smell.

Chaste Moon is foody without the gluttonous undercurrent. I almost feel like I’m wearing eau de candy corn without the sickeningly sweet sugar aspect. There’s something dark behind the more prominent notes that grounds this scent, taking it away from CandyLand and into sophisticated, yet playful adult world.

Interestingly, it resembles one of my favorite non-BPAL perfumes (Jessica Simpson’s Taste “Delicious”) which is Tahitian vanilla, white chocolate, coconut cream, honey, and subtle spices, so it’s nice to have as a replacement for days when I’m loathe to be a mass-market-beauty whore. Plus, Chaste Moon is slightly darker, making it a more appropriate evening scent after a day of "Delicious".

I think this would make a super comforting oil for burning or other house-scenting methods as well. It's warm and sensual and very friendly.

I adore this blend to death and am so terribly pleased to have a bottle. Well done Beth!

*dies from the love*

omg, it's lovely! it's the first le that has actually liked me. which is wonderful, considering that my bestest friend in the whole wide world sent it to me.

it's like pale creamy butterscotch and light flowers. it's beautiful. and yummy. and it's too darned bad that my skin eats in it an hour or less! bad skin! bad!

but it's such a lovely, wonderful, fragrance...

In the bottle: Rich, creamy butterscotch. *drool*

On my skin: The butterscotch fades almost immediately upon contact and all that remains is a sweet powdery scent.

Drydown: The powder is now joined by the scent of Play-Doh. Periodically, I catch a note of something floral and sweet.

I am very sad because I love butterscotch and Chaste Moon smelled so fabulous in the bottle :P

Creamy, sweet and light florals.

While wet, I get the creamy butterscotch note, but it quickly goes away as it dries. Then I get a lovely pineapple fruit note. The florals are light, and the sweetness of the blend keeps them just peeking out around the edges.

It is a very nice blend, I am hoping as it ages the creamy note will last a bit longer as I really like it. :P

I have to confess - when I smelled this one in the bottle, I was afraid of it. I actually put it down and didn't come back to it for 2 days. The buttery scent was incredibly strong and overwhelming in the bottle, and I had *almost* decided to trade it just because of how it smelled in the bottle. But I hate to trade anything without at least trying it once, since I'm well aware of how scents morph based on individual chemistry.

So I tried it. Almost immediately, I noticed the buttery note backing down and becoming less in-your-face butteryness. The lunar oils that identify the lunar blends started to poke through, and the buttery-ness became a soft white vanilla floral that is very innocent and sweet. I am really starting to love this blend - it's got the strength of the lunar oils, but is totally softened by the other notes in the blend.

This one is definitely worth trying folks - I'm holding onto my bottle, and am incredibly glad that I bought it!

In the bottle it is very buttery and sugary. Like a buttercreme frosting. I was thinking perhaps this was going to be foody on me. Not a favorite at all.

On the wrist the sweet mixture still is there but I started to smell the fruits and florals that really take stage as it dries.

Pineapple, vanilla, coconut? Think white frothy drink!

That too starts to go into the background as a round of florals finish the blend up.

I love this :P :00001651:

Nice work Lab!!!Well done!

in the bottle: definitely butterscotch

on: there is no butterscotch, and i get a sweet milky almond, backed up with a bit of spice - and that sharp ozone scent i've come to associate with the lunar oils. after a while, the floral comes out. i'm not usually a floral girl, but this is just perfectly soft and sweet, balanced by the sharp (almost fruity) background. vanilla, but not in a foody sense. i really, really love this.

verdict: this is spring when the air starts to warm. fresh and clean, with a indescribeable sweetness to it, a mixture of the new life and blooms everywhere. my only complaint: it fades too fast. i will go through my one, precious bottle quickly at this rate. . .

genious. pure genious. thank you!

OK, the verdict is out: my skin chemistry must make me a total freak. In the bottle, Chaste Moon smells like butterscotch. On my skin, it dies down to an incredibly quiet blend of:

pineapple,

marshmallow,

and Cool Whip.

Like a family-picnic ambrosia. Really unexpected!

Oh. My. God.

In the bottle, Chaste Moon smells like freshly-churned sweet butter, with just a hint of herbal floral to it.

On my skin, it keeps the warm, thick sweet buttery scent, but a lot more of the floral comes up and balances it out. It's a sexily sweet, warm, divine blend. It's got a hint of butterscotch scent to it around the edges of the sweet butter/cream, but in general, it's just a warm, thick, sweet and creamy floral.

I love it, and I hate florals.

I will admit that Chaste Moon is nothing like what I imagined it to be but this is definitely not a bad thing.

Wet, chaste moon is a minty slightly spicy butterscotch. The mint reminds me more of peppermint than anything else. In this aspect it reminds me a little of Spooky.

Drying down it is starting to smell like a craft store. This is not good. We'll see what it does though.

Edit: Oh NO!! I know exactly what it smells like now. On me, it smells like that stuff they put on your gums at the dentist to numb them a little before they give you the novicane shot. Ack!!! Ok, sadly this one will be going in the swap pile. I can't handle my skin turning this into a visit to the dentist. :P

Edited by Longstofly

This is really incredible! I thought it would be werid, with everyone ssaying butterscotch & flowers. BOY, was I wrong! This, to me is, a creamy floral that is bordering on buttery. I love this so much, that I bought 2 bottles and I will be keeping both and sharing with my mom, this is a first, cause usually I sell or swap the second bottle, I always buy two of the lunacies. I will treasure this until it's gone. I am so dramatic! GOSH!!!!!

In the bottle: Oooh, lovely. Milk and butterscotch. Creamy and lovely. Makes me want to curl up.

Wet: Milky and sweet, with a touch of flowers. Still very nice.

Drying/Dry: What the hell? Pineapple?! No! This is very similar to Snow White. It has that weird "tropical" thing going on, which makes me ill. Boo! *kicks rock*

I'll try this again and hope that the milky goodness stays longer. I can't handle the pineapple conga line it turns in to. Stupid body chemistry!

Chaste Moon is buttery in the bottle, as everyone before me has noted, and that reminds me of Harvest Moon.

On, it first turns minty and creamy and reminds me strongly of Spooky or Snow White, then settles down to a soft, sweet milky scent with just a touch of mint for sparkle, and never has that weird plastic phase I got from Snow White. I don't get any floral or fruit from it.

Chaste Moon does kind of smell like a baby's milky breath. It's very nice, cozy and innocent, probably my favorite moon that I've tried.

In the bottle

Butterscotch

On

Lovely light creamy butterscotch with a light floral. There's some note that is morphing now that is a little bitter and acidic to my nose. Coconut? Vetiver?

*fights the bad Harvest Moon memory*

It's almost melon-y but with a bitter, acrid edge maybe more similar to a vegetable (Celery?). If it is coconut, that could explain why it's turning. Me and coconut don't get along. I like eating coconut, but my skin doesn't like it.

I will have words with my body chemistry.

30 minutes

Although sweet and still kind of creamy as it was initially, the scent has lost the large part of it's butterscotch quality bit it is still there. It smells like sweet, smokey butterscotch- and coconut blend that turns a bit acrid like celery.

Throw:

little

Note: It's strange, but the throw on this blend is still foody in a yummy buttery way even while up close it morphs into something else. Hmm.

Scent category:

Foody

Summary

This is a foody blend that introduces a kind of Spring-like vegatable-ness I think this is the coconut with maybe some other note.

Purchase again?

No

1-5 rating, 5 being best.

Edited by UltraViolet

How did she do it? How did she make something smell "creamy"??

It's creamy, light, barely floral and sweet. It's going to be great for the hot summer up here.

I wish I had gotten another bottle!

Like other reviewers, in the bottle Chaste Moon smells like butterscotch. It's thick and sweet and rich. It reminds me of Gluttony for its rich smell, but none of the chocolate & toffee. It reminds me of those Werthers candies!

Wet : Yum. Definetly something foody still. The butterscotch melts down into something less heavy yet equally pleasant. It's sweet now, and it smells divine.

Dry: Still pretty and it has decent staying power.

Final thoughts : I LOVE it. I should of bought two. :P

Chaste Moon smells like a buttery Snow White on me. Warm, golden, creamy, sweet but not candy sweet or Sugar Skull sweet. It had a hint of the coolness of Snow White, and maybe way on the drydown, some pineapple. Wet it's very buttery and wet-smelling, but dry it's dryer and warmer. That makes no sense I'm afraid...sort of the difference between cake batter and baked cake, maybe? If Snow White was white-blue, this is white-yellow.

My only complaint is that it didn't seem to last very long on me. I can barely smell it by the end of the day, and I slathered it on. However, the boyfriend told me I smelled "buttery" when were lying on the couch together after work, so maybe it's one of those where I can't smell it anymore but others can.

I usually don't like foody scents, but this is joining Spooky (which it also reminds me a bit of) as an exception.