Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
anmorata

Chaste Moon 2005

Though March marks the end of the desolation and chill of winter, it is not yet Spring, the time of rebirth, fertility and the Earth’s fecundity. March’s Full Moon is a Virgin’s Moon, pure, youthful, unsullied and innocent. This is the Moon of the Child, and the scent is as soft and gentle as a baby’s breath: milky blossoms and soft cream touch the last buds of winter, coupled with crystalline, bright traditional Lunar oils.

I didn't get coconut from this, thankfully. It has the same milky quality as Milk Moon, but less so - where Milk Moon is honeyed, this is more buttery. Not that it's heavy - the flowers poke out after the first few minutes and keep things light.

Overall, very pretty, but too similar to Milk Moon for me to track down any more of it. Glad I got to try the imp though! :P

In the Bottle: Maybe it's my nose, but this smells like many of the other oils I reviewed today, wet, lemon sugar, and flowers. A soapy smell I have come to understand is a flower pre-dry fragrance comes out, so I am eager to see what this smells like later.

Dry: An elusive, light, warm flowery set with a hint of something buttery and creany behind it, but not like BUTTER, just something with a lot of butter in it warming it and making it rich. Like the sun on a cool day.

Initially, when I first opened the imp, I thought.. Oh damnit. This smells exactly like Milk Moon. So, I closed it and put it in my ammo box. Five minutes later, I figured, well, I'm taking a shower soon, so I might as well try everything real quick because I'll be able to wash it all off in a little while. :P

Well, after wearing it for about 10 minutes, I realize Chaste Moon is quite different from Milk Moon. As someone else said before, it's buttery where Milk Moon is honeyed. And then, the florals perk up just a tiny bit, making it just a tad bit sweeter. :D

Yum.

Hmm. This one has grown on me.

I received a frimp of Chaste Moon in my first swap, so this was the first Lunacy I smelled.

In the imp: straight butterscotch

On: butterscotch and flowers

My impression was that it was just okay.

Since then, I think my nose has gotten better at distinguishing notes, or at least I get more out of the notes. I put the imp aside for awhile, then went back to it. And now I adore it: Chaste Moon is a creamy, sticky butter scent topped with a light floral. It required an immediate upgrade, and it's probably in my top five scents.

(To me, Chaste Moon is not like Milk Moon. Milk Moon is light and, well, milky, and Chaste Moon is butterscotchy and creamy. I don't get any mint or coconut with either of them.)

Chaste Moon starts off as a clean, soft vanilla cream, sparkly musk (not fizzy or anything, just a sparkly impression), and hints of dry, golden, sweet floral. It goes through a brief phase that's sharply musky and then settles down into mostly vanilla and warm florals with light musk.

It's a very soft, light, classy, vanilla musk & floral scent on me.

Edited by Little Bird

In the Imp:

Butterscotchy sweetness. :P

Wet:

Honey and Butterscotch. There is a very soft, floral scent, too.

Dry down:

A bit of an amber-ish or Nag Champa aroma kicks in. Smoky and sweet... a very nice combination.

In closing:

Another keeper, for me. This will be a nice day-time fragrance.

VERY nice.

We all need a little lunacy in our lives.

This is my chosen lunacy.

I'm sticking with lunacy in a perfume because people who are afflicted with lunacy are too hard to deal with!

:D

ADDED Dec. 30:

Lovely scent. I put this on at bedtime last night ~ and fell in love with the fragrance.

In the bottle I smell either jasmine or honeysuckle with a buttery scented finish.

Wet ~ Floral with a slight food-y scent, reminiscent of after dinner buttermints. :D

On the drydown ~ floral with baby powder. I love baby powder. :D This is a new love for me.

I adore Chaste Moon.

:D

I dunno about this one... i smell my wrist and it smells...strange.

This is kind of an odd buttery floral smell.. this would be a great baby soap smell.

it definitely smells 'chaste'. It's a pure and powdery smell, like freshly washed sheets in a fair maidens tower room. This might sound kind of gross, but it kind of smells like my breath after crunching on butterscotch hardcandies. hah.

Not sure that this one is me... but I can see why others might really love this.

Chaste Moon is a gorgeous blend, and by first sniff it is liable to send you into a wonderful mood. It's milky, sweet (but not overwhelmingly or obviously so to me), and very lightly floral (with what I don't know). It is somewhat childlike, very gentle and innocent. And almost foody to me as well.

This isn't a hot date kind of perfume, this is a perfume to wear when you need someone to trust you, or to relax around you. Also a good perfume to wear to help you sleep (it did for me anyway).

This was Milk Moon lite on me.

I still got the butter and cream that I got from Milk Moon, but a less heavy version, with the addition of a light floral component that was not present in Milk Moon.

As someone who hated Milk Moon and doesn't get on well with most florals, I found myself liking this more than I thought I would. It was an almost-but-not-quite for me.

I am excited to have a decant of this--March is my birthday, so I'll be saving some of it to wear when the Chaste Moon rolls around again!

In the imp--I can see the "buttery" quality, but it's very light; more of a clotted cream than butter to me! :P

On me--I haven't tried Milk Moon, so I can't compare with that, but this is beautiful! It has some of the sparkly silveriness of Luna--must be the lunar oils. The faint floral edge is similar to Luna as well--probaby jasmine, but luckily it is very faint. And there is something soft and creamy over that.

You know what this reminds me of? A winter wedding scent. Maybe it's just that I've been squeeing over Shelldoo's wedding pics and have weddings on the brain, but the combination of warm/creamy and cool/silvery evokes a cream satin gown with sheer floating tulle. Really lovely!

It starts out fairly strong and over poweringly sweet, but soon softens up. Its not really buttery on me, mostly cotton candy like, but creamy cotton candy.

I love this scent and hope it comes back this year

I only had a tiny amount of this to test, so my review may be influenced by that; it's less than I'd normally put on, even for testing purposes.

Anyway, in the vial it's very butterscotchy, but on my skin it retreats into a very mild pretty scent, kind of light and floral -- more floral than Cold Moon, and for me maybe a bit too sweet. I'm not getting anything particularly creamy, to my regret. But it may be just as well that it's not too successful on me, as I don't have to worry about how to obtain any more.

Creamy, milky, and sweet...and it got a note of coconut after a few minutes. Not overpowering, which I love. Exclusively foody, mild, and beautifully blended. I don't think I'll seek out an entire bottle, but I'll hang tight to what I've got.

I smelled wine at the first whiff. lovely red wine. unless I was imagining things.

There is a sweet peppermint note. and some cherry? Just like a cherry candy cane! I love this! that's all I'm getting though, no more wine as it dries, just cherry candy cane.

It fades VERY fast however. before I could even make a decent review.

oh well I loved it while it lasted. :P

Sweet florals, almost candy sweet, but it's milky at the same time. Sugared florals, perhaps. Later, I can smell the Milk Moon comparison. Chaste Moon is Milk Moon Lite, just really watered down milk (with florals). This is a nice scent, but that's one of its bad things. It's like saying a person is nice in that reluctant tone of voice. Sure, she might be nice, but she's not very exciting, is she? I'd like my Milk Moon straight up!

ADDED Feb. 3:

When I first got the bottle, I remember trying it and thinking, "This is nice, but why bother with this when I have Milk Moon?" I'm revisiting this and thinking that perhaps I was wrong in my assessment. It definitely starts out smelling milky, then goes to a light butterscotch. I'm looking at the first review of this page, and spanishviolet is right. Milk Moon is more honeyed in that it's pointedly sweet, while Chaste Moon is more milky in a watered down skim milk sort of way--hence the characterization of Chaste Moon as Milk Moon Lite. After an hour, the light florals make an appearance, and they're not heavy florals. It definitely seems as if honeysuckle might be in the scent. I think of honeysuckle as a scent that has a haze of scent around it, a scent unlike rose, where the scent just hits you, and the florals in this are just a haze of light sweetness. After eight hours, I smelled my wrist and thought it had gone, but it hadn't. Chaste Moon had just become a part of my skin (sounds sort of trippy, but that's what it seems like to me).

This really isn't my style, so I'm letting this go, but I can definitely understand the appeal Chaste Moon has for others.

Edited by malanna

Oh my god. Okay, I can pick out some milky undertones, but I cannot pick out notes very well because I'm so blown away by this scent memory -- Chaste Moon, on me, is like BPAL's version of Sand & Sable, which was my fave perfume all through high school. I'm still fond of it, although I don't wear it anymore. Chaste Moon is less synthetic-smelling, though, and a lot softer, less brassy. It's freaking beautiful. I want a 5ml now, although I think this is one that's a little hard to come by.

My only problem is that it fades a little quickly -- after about an hour, it's almost gone. But its prettiness makes up for it, and it leaves a creamy floral shadow behind.

Really a beautiful perfume-ish blend. My favorite lunar blend so far.

Chaste Moon smells like butterscoth cotton candy! Sweet, slightly buttery sugary goodness.

This is a really fun, super sweet, girlie scent. I love it!

This was one I really wanted to try. A sweet swapper imped me (thanks Lynne!) and I have definitely enjoyed it. Besides the obvious scents (butter, milk) it actually has a coconutty tinge on my skin after it's dry- not enough to be annoying thank god. It actually lasted pretty well, for being a softer scent. I like the "lunar oil" base scent quite a bit, I think- most of the Lunacy blends have worked well for me. I'm not altogether certain I'd need a full bottle though. I'll see if I use the imp up first- there are other blends that are more "me" that I suspect I'll reach for first (Snake Charmer, Snake Oil, Nuclear Winter etc etc).

EDIT: I did get a full bottle, after realizing I had almost used my imp up in record time. Interestingly, perhaps because I am less stingy with it in a bottle, it is wayyyy stronger out of the bottle on me. It has more of the "lunar oil" base than Milk Moon, by far. The base oils get WHOA STRONG on me, but I think the other ingredients in Chaste Moon balance them out well. I do very much like this blend actually, and wear it more than I'd guessed I would.

I'd give it a 5 out of 5.

Edited by LittleGreyKitten

Chaste Moon is a milky floral blend; I can smell milky/buttery/creamy notes, some florals (I'm thinking small and white, similar to the floral notes in Snow White), and a sparkling something (must be the lunar oils). This is a pretty blend, but I don't know if I'd wear it regularly as a perfume.

I am so mad that I found the lab ONE MONTH after Chaste Moon. Balls.

It smelled very soft and sweet, and then turned into Milk Moon + a bit of mint on my skin. As it dried, it morphed into a milky, creamy floral with a bit of vanilla. I'm in love. And now I need this AND I want to try MM again. Dammit.

Sweet, creamy, and with the coconut-y note of Milk Moon.

This is very light, and a nice combination of initial freshness with that creamy drydown. This probably would have been my favourite scent, but since having a health condition treated my body chemistry has changed so that anything with the creamy note of Milk Moon turns sour on me. This was swapped away last week for Holiday Moon.

Origin: Decant courtesy of the lovely oscicat (to whom I am eternally grateful.)

In the imp: Creamy, vanilla floral underscored with fresh mint.

Wet: Sweeter than Spooky and just as cold, and creamier than Milk Moon, but a bit warmer. Mint, vanilla and sweet, soft flowers.

Drydown: Much the same - its staying fairly consistent throughout. The mint in this blend is so beautifully fresh. It's almost like a hard mint candy that's melted a little. It's sweet and soft and delicious.

Verdict: Lots of love for the Chaste Moon. 5/5 on Medici's Scale o' Lurrve

This was absolutely beautiful. Initially, there was a heady burst of blossoms - very familiar (narcissus, maybe?) which faded into a sweet, creamy scent that is very feminine. Too bad there's none to be had anywhere.