Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

The essence of pleasure heightened by pain: the raw scent of leather.

I love this. It's very sexy. I wear it by itself a lot but I also like to pair it with some of my sweeter fragrances too. This smells like expensive leather, and it has worn in, aged quality that I like. It wears well, especially in the dry down when it almost doesn't smell like leather anymore. It really clings closely. The throw is minimal. It actually feels like I've been wearing leather all day and the scent just stuck with me.

Despite smelling a little ashtray-ish in the imp, this all leather. Leather leather leather. Not much else to say about it. It's not for me but I imagine it would smell rather alluring on the right guy or gal.

OH!!...don't know if this has been hit upon yet, but the first thing I thought of when I smelled this (and the thing I love about it) is how it changes and affects other BPAL oils....brings a bit of depth and allure/mystique (?)...to other scents...I love the fact that if I can't find a scent I'm in the mood for, mixing this with others almost always makes another great scent to choose from (ok...light and aquatic scents might not mix well, but I generally don't have many of those anyways, so I don't know for sure).

-Kye

For me, De Sade morphs subtly, but clearly. Wet, it starts out reminding me of the old west. I imagine myself standing next to an old, worn, yet freshly oiled saddle.

As it dries, the saddle turns to a pure black leather coat. This doesn't last long, though, as I am taken back into the old west, this time specifically into a saloon. The leather from men's chaps is apparent, but so is a subtle smell of tobacco. Not the pungent stench from a cigarette, but the pure, untainted tobacco leaf.

Sadly for me, this scent is far too manly. However I will be hanging onto it and, possibly, purchasing a bottle for this reason alone:

It combines with other scents divinely! I put it with Lilith and the experience was magnificent. I can't even find the proper words to describe how lovely the result was. It was sexy, yet sweet; innocent, yet experienced. Trully this is a woman's scent,

So, alone, no; with a femanine scent, my god yes!

Edited by KyrieArashi

Mmm... in the imp, and wet on skin, this smells like really good leather and smoke. On the drydown it's less leather and more like smokey... anise? And slightly coconut-y? Maybe my nose is defective but either way, I love this. From the other reviews I was expecting this to be a little too masculine for my taste but I was pleasantly surprised to say the least! Although that's not to say I wouldn't want to smell this on a man :P

I need a bottle of this as soon as possible.

Edited by *Dani*

This wasn't a blend that I was too interested in trying, but when a friend offered to send it along with some I did want, I figured it would be as good a time as any to try leather. I don't have any strong affinity for or associations with leather, so I had few preconceptions going in.

In the vial: Something bitter, acrid, and indistinct.

On me: I got nothin'. Well, almost nothing. The scent seems very white to me—there just isn't much there. I think my skin swallows most of it, leaving an empty space where it should be. The only remaining fragrance is the bitter, artificial smell of low-quality leather, the kind that is almost waxy to the touch. It's reminiscent of the vial scent, a little bitter.

Verdict: In a way, this experiment was a fine success—I wanted to know if predominant leather notes work for me, and the answer is a pretty clear "no." That's not too much of a loss—I tend to have pretty good skin chemistry, especially for the notes I want to wear, so I don't mind missing out on leather. As for the imp itself, I won't be keeping it, but I'm sure I can find someone else who wants to try it.

i got an imp of DeSade because i thought it would be great to layer with some other scents - i was completely unprepared for what i got out of it when it arrived...

in the bottle - that's leather alright! yay!

first time out - before bed i slid a drop across the backs of my thumbs (the only place not taken by 13 other dry but still warring imp dabs freshly acquired from The Lab ;) ) - instant yum! yes leather, but more like soft brown garment leather... i kept thinking of Ayla's sling - but wait! ohhhh.... there's the sweaty black leather, yummmmmm!!!!

then an unidentifiable Something Else (others used 'acrid' before - that's a perfect description) crept in... sharp but in no way unpleasant... very arousing - fell asleep with a big smile on my face!

then i tried it by itself (well, on top of some long dry Snake Oil from the am) yesterday evening

dotted a taste on throat, inner arms, and wrists...

holy crap

i mean, woah

leather still, a little bit,

but the Something Else i noticed before?

keerisht! this stuff smells like a cocaine drip tastes in the back of your throat,

like, Not In A Bad Way At All

(yes, i am guilty of knowing this bit of info - misspent youth and all :) :D :P )

that instant rush (pun not intended til it happened) went quickly and it was back to leather, but for the first 5 minutes? i just can't put it any other way, it was blow - pure and simple, my heartrate even sped up a little!

as it dried it beautifully tempered itself back to a soft warm-body leather again, comforting hand in hand with having fleeting truly dirty thoughts - much too TMI to detail in a review... maybe in yonder sex thread sometime...

it's an indulgent smell - and a whole lotta depraved! I LOVE IT!!!

DeSade could not have been more aptly named... the Marquis would be honored

this is the smell of The Perfect Top and a night of dedicated Depravity

can't wait to smell it on the right partner someday... (like MeiLin said a few posts back - it's like that)

a Big Bottle WILL be coveted, oh yes...

(but i *am* still wondering which other scent was the one that created the soft brown leathery smell, the one that gave me visions of Ayla and her sling... i liked that alot too and will keep experimenting with blends to find it again.)

(oh - and... hai! :D i'm de-lurking - first review on the Forum)

Hmmm....I smell cheap leather and fake vanilla. I guess it could be nice on the right person, but my chemistry is turning this one plasticky, sadly.

1 out of 5

Sniffed in imp: Colourless oil. Sassafras and dirt (???). Also sort of sharp and musky. Manly and a little cologney..

Wet: Wow, this is fierce. Still oddly sharp and herbal, but yes, it smells like polished high-quality leather. The sharpness works, mood-wise.

Dry: This smells like cocaine, specifically CA cocaine that still has that nasty solvent (kerosene?) residue. I guess De Sade likes to get jacked?

Summary: Chemically-solventy, sharp, biting. I can't shake how *exactly* it smells like west coast coke,which is not something I want to smell like. Good throw, exellent longevity.

I've smelled leather in other blends, on my skin, and it's often a weird plasticky scent I don't particularly like, and while I don't like this either, it's different.

Edited by fairnymph

Initial thoughts: ... okay, I really like leather notes, but still... I don't think I would have bought this, or ever admitted to buying this, but I know I'm going to like it.

In the imp: Ouch. I was expecting, y'know - the smell you get when you walk into a tackshop, but that is just... brutal. Black leather. Black WHIP leather. It's also incredibly strong, so I think I may have to be very sparing with it.

On the wrist, wet: Man, I never realised how much the tobacco and other notes in my other favourite leather scents mellow out this stuff. Ouch. That's almost violent.

Fifteen minutes later: Mwah hah hah hah hah.

Okay, this is something I would probably want to layer (Maybe with Baron Samedi - oh god, that would be an.. interesting day) but man, there's a good reason leather migrated into the bedroom. All other qualities aside, it smells like sex incarnate. Rich, smoky, tanned leather gooodness. Very manly, but all the same (Maybe this is just me :P) I'd really LIKE smelling this on a woman. I'd be slightly terrified of her, but all the same.

Verdict: Unf unf. I mean, keeper, and a bottle if it layers as well as I think it might.

Tl;Dr: SEX

Straight up leather. It smells sleek to me, not really like a comfy leather jacket or a leather chair. It smells like shiny leather. Leather notes are usually exceptionally strong on me, and this one definitely is.

Personally, I'd kind of like it if my husband had a bottle of this to layer with some of his other scents because I happen to really like leather notes on men. However, I'm quite sure that he could not be bothered to do something as intricate and involved as putting on two different BPAL oils at the same time. So I'll just continue to enjoy it when he wears Geek and Quincey Morris.

Also, I happened to be reading through reviews and saw KyrieArashi's review that mentioned layering it with Lilith. Sounded intriguing, so I tried that. Hey, she wasn't kidding! Very nice. I didn't really like Wanda, but I like De Sade + Lilith. Hmmm. Perhaps I should have some of this for myself for layering...

In The Bottle

Almost nothing in the bottle

On Application

Ah, there we go. Soft dry leather.

Dry Down

Holy **** This is gorgeous. As it warms and dries it becomes richer and crueller. It starts as the smell of a good leather jacket and morphs into jack-boots and whips. Overall not overpowering and would be great to layer. I'm in love. :P

Rating (0-5)

Opening the bottle, I expected much more throw than this has to my nose. I love Leather in any form. Even the reviews that didn't sing this one's praises made me want it that much more. Mall leather, country leather, city leather, belt leather, shoe leather, even "pleather"!

(not really, but you get the picture :P )

True, De Sade's all leather -but soooo whispery soft! I like the initial impressions, but can't get enough of a *blast* to make a real assesment. A total skin scent that clings and requires limb-huffing to detect.

As soon as I figure out which BPAL turns up the volume a little more I'll be swaping this bottle. Maybe some aging would amp the leather a bit, but I probably can't wait that long for something tougher :D

Wearlength is short: an hour on my skin.

Very leathery scent to this one. Good thing I love the smell of leather. I need to buy myself a bottle of this.

This is definitely raw leather on me. Sleek. Warm. It's very masculine on me.

I don't think this is the kind of scent my hubby likes. On the right kind of guy though, it's probably toe-curling. Mmmm....

This turned out much better than I expected, based on past trauma associated with Dragon's Hide!

I'm not getting so much "leather" as wax, smoke, incense, and dark wood - like some Southeast Asian wooden curio bought from a weird little import shop. More like the concoctions used to cure leather than the hide itself. It dries down quite nicely on my skin, too, sexy, deep, and a bit intimidating. Not sure when I'd wear this by itself, but it should layer well!

(Oooh, idea... De Sade + Clemence?? Sounds delightfully evil. Will try it and report back!)

In the imp, this smells exactly like leather in a new car. There is something sharp, however that kind of ruins it for me. This is more of a masculine scent, and leather lovers I'm sure will enjoy.

in the imp: sweet smoky leather. nice! :P

wet on skin: the sweetness gets a bit stronger. it's not cloying, though.

dry down: the sweetness had abated. yep, this is pure tanned leather. :D

in all: a single note of leather, really, there is no other note in here to detract. personally, i would layer this with oils that i like but find a bit too cloying that eed tempering, like certain florals or even really sweet foodies. on it's own? just for you SM types!

:D

It's leather alright. Nice enough on it's own if you want to smell like a new pair of shoes, haha... but think i'll like it better for layering. On it's own it's a bit sharp and i feel like it needs something to soften it a bit. I prefer leather mixed with other notes, like Jolly Rodger. I'll keep it for layering, because maybe i'll discover something that works really well with it.

3/5

Okay, wow. If you haven't tried this... try layering De Sade with Bliss! Chocolate and leather! It's yummy!

Edited by AthenaRose

in the imp: it doesn't really smell like a leather jacket or when you walk into a leather store to me. it actually gives me a headache.

i guess i wasn't sure what to exactly expect from this. i dj a night called sabbat de sade and thought it would be funny to wear a scent called "desade" to a fetish night with the same theme. i've done this prior with "bloodlust" etc. this scent sadly really wasn't what i was expecting.

another sniff from the imp & pass.

Edited by djsiberia

One of the scents that i got in my first imp set (2 years ago or so ^__^; ) never got around to reviewing because i had left my imps home when i went to college and had forgotten about them, except for Hellcat and Black Cat the two i particularly liked thus far.

Don't particularly care for De Sade myself, but i still have yet to try it in the presence of my girl, see what she thinks. This maybe a scent for "special nights", and i'll leave it at that. :P

In the imp: Leather and old rot. I'm a vegetarian, and anything that smells like animal just bothers me. And this smells like rotting dead animal skin. :P

I always put oil on, even if I don't really like the smell from the imp or bottle. Even if I know that there is a note or a few that don't work with me. I try it because you never know when it dries down. I couldn't get myself to try this one. I was completely thrown off by the rot note. Maybe it was just a bad or old oil. But there was something else to this that wasn't just leather and I couldn't do it! Not even for my boyfriend

In imp: Hmm…maybe some leather…and floor cleaner? What gives?

Wet on skin: It’s prickly and still smells a bit like cleaner. No raw leather or even conditioned leather yet. The leather is starting to come out, but amidst the classic “new car” smell, I assume with leather seats.

Drydown: Ooh, THERE’S the leather note everyone talks about. Not quite a jacket or a booth selling leather goods, nor is it the same leather I smelled in Jolly Roger. It’s an unfinished piece waiting to be shaped and worn. The cleaner and chemical smell has mellowed out, leaving only the fresh leather behind.

Overall: It’s not quite the leather I was expecting, but not bad, either. It doesn’t set off the reptilian hindbrain like I thought it would, though I still want to curl up with whoever is wearing this. Not a bottle (yet), but still a pleasant scent.