Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

The essence of pleasure heightened by pain: the raw scent of leather.

It's leather, but to my nose a chemically leather. A little too sharp for me, and as it dries it morphs towards a band-aid smell :P. I will hold onto this until my hubby comes home in a couple months- hopefully it works better on him!

Edited by birdiefu

De Sade-

In Bottle: Ooh, that's not only leather--that's the leather jacket that's been in a smoky bar all night. I hate cigarette smoke and yet I do not say this with displeasure. ;-)

Wet: Yiii. Someone's pushed my face down against a new car interior and they won't let me up. Not as sexy as it sounds. It's kind of burnt-smelling.

Dry: Oh, dear, I wanted to like this one better. It's kind of strong and burnt and doesn't quite work for me. I love Whip but apparently the rose-and-leather thing of Whip works much better for me than straight leather....It is nicer on the dry-down but I don't think it's going to be a favorite. Pity! I wanted to be able to tell everyone the name of what I was wearing. :P

Overall: Not quite for me.

Edited by steffanina

This smells like it's rotting a little or something. O_o I was expecting the heady scent of a cowboy boot store or a tack shop corner with all the saddles and harnesses. Instead I get this spicy, dusty-dry, acrid note that is barely even reminiscent to me of leather.

Well, hrrrm. Yes, that's definitely leather, uncannily so. Sadly, I can't pull it off.

But dammmmn, I can't wait to try this one on my husband.

I got De Sade a while ago against the advice of a friend and tried it then, and I wanted to cry. I really, really, really had hoped that this would be as close to barn smell as I'm likely to ever get (who really is going to make a scent of horses, leather, and shavings, with a hint of fly spray?), but alas, it wasn't. But then I was like, no, I'll give it more of a chance.

So that's what this is.

In the imp: CHEMICAL SMELL of DOOM. It made me gag. Yeah, nothing but icky cleaning stuff.

Wet: Same. TT_TT

Ten Minutes: Well, it does spread a bit. But it's still rather chemically. Actually, now that I think about it, it's like really, really, really bad cologne (the kind that my uncle wears) which may make my reaction stronger, cause I rather dislike the uncle in question.

Now I have to go wash my wrist to death to prevent, well, vomiting.

Now... I could never never wear this myself. It's far too masculine for me, as I'm one of those girls that favors the super-girly rose, lily, and cherry scents. That and although I like leather, and I even like the BPAL scents that contain leather notes, I don't necessarily care to walk around smelling like a saddle, and that's kind of what this smells like. Hot saddle leather mixed with pipe tobacco and a faint whiff of something musky that I can't quite put my finger on. Not bad, but not feminine at all to me, and definitely not something that's for everyone.

However, if you have a guy that will let you smear BPAL all over him the way I do, make him wear De Sade. Seriously... make him. My boyfriend put this on before bed last night and he was subsequently ravaged by me after I smelled this layered over just... natural guy skin smell. Very very sexy. Seriously... I can't remember the last time I was that turned on by the way a guy smelled. And this is coming from a girl who is normally not the type to be turned on by colognes or anything like that at all.

So... the verdict? I would vomit if I had to smell this on myself all day long, but on the boy.... wow. Just wow. Whole different ballgame. :P

Frimp from the lab.

In the imp: raw leather indeed!

On the skin: I would never have thought i would like smelling like this but, ooh lordy, this is sumptuous soft leather, but there is something else in there that i can not place. It makes me feel powerful and in charge, almost a beautiful dominatrix!!

Final verdict: Bottle me now damnit!!

Well, that is most definately leather - no ifs, ands, or buts about it. Inside of a Wilson's Leather store-leather. I do like the smell of leather, but...this isn't complex enough for me, I think. I may experiment with layering, though, because it would smell great with something else.

I didn't even bother to try this on me; I took the imp right over to smear on Brian! :P And it is a good scent for a guy--pure leather with just a little smoke. It strikes me as more of an English gentleman out riding rather than a cowboy or rock star. Simple but classy.

I adore the smell of leather, so I had to get this one.

In the bottle, it's pure sharp leather. Mm. So far so good!

On my skin, it's - pure sharp leather. And it stays that way. Sharp, hard, very very potent leather... almost painfully sharp. It's lovely, it's beautiful, but I feel like I should be dressed in black skintight PVC with thigh-high boots and a whip - and that's just not me at all.

It iddn't soften down for me like it did for other people; if it had, I'd've kept it. As it stands, it's too hard of leather; I'll stick with the Dragon's Hide for my leather scent. Gave this to a whipcord-lean girl who's into high heels, boots, and BDSM. She loves it.

I really, really, really had hoped that this would be as close to barn smell as I'm likely to ever get (who really is going to make a scent of horses, leather, and shavings, with a hint of fly spray?)

Mmmm. I hear you; I'd definitely buy that. I love the smell of a barn.

Edited by makhsihed

Oh..my..gosh...

I just opened and sniffed this in today's delivery of my first BPAL experience ever.

May I just say this is an incredibly sexy smell. It's like bottled rough sex.

Not every man could wear this. He's have to be the kind of guy that will accost you in the public bathroom, rip your bodice, hike up your skirt and had... ahem..."his way with you"..... until you forget your last name.

Dangerous stuff this.

There is a slight smell of cigarettes that I don't like, but it adds to the "bad boy" of the smell, I'll give it that.

Edited by White Falcon

unfortunately when I got my package my de sade imp was broken and most of the oil spilled all over the plastic bag which contained the imps. but when I opened the bag it smelled so fantastic that I still keep it in my purse and it smells divine. Leather, leather, leather. Raw leather. If you know how Chanel's Cuir de Russie smells like, take away the flowery note and it is De Sade.

I managed to get a few drops of oil on my skin and I love it! I can only imagine how wonderful this would be on a guy.

It's dark and sexy but not overly masculine. Need a new imp of this one! Perhaps a bottle.

edit: this has a nice throw, but I don't adore how it smells close to the skin (my body chemistry). pendant material!

Edited by Kosyena

This is my frist BPAL experience. I'm looking for a new scent or three :P, and I've heard fantastic things from tons of people about BPAL.

I bought 12 imps to start (and receied 14! Thanks PBAL!), and my frist test is DeSade.

I'm not feeling it. I can't really detect much leather, either - it's mostly smoke.

But maybe that's because I'm around a lot of leather, a lot of the time? It doesn't smell like what I'm used to.

It is mellowing as the day wears on - it's been 4 hours, though, and it's almost as strong as when it was first dry. I like the staying power. But it's still too smoke-y for me.

I'm happily looking forward to trying the others!

Tried this on in the morning and ordered it that afternoon. Whatever it is about this, it really works for me. It's not exactly the leather either, but somthing else with it. Lasted all day and pretty much didn't change. Maybe mellowed a little bit, but just enough. Shoud probably have orderd several bottles just in case it isn't around for very long!

In the imp: Very masculine, awesome smell of leather.

On my skin: Not just leather, but something else, like smoke. Still very masculine. I F***IN' LOVE THAT SCENT! AAAAAAH! Need a 5ml bottle of that...!

Edit: No! A bigger one!

Edited by Garbazhul

Honestly, there isn't much to say about DeSade, so I'm forgoing my usual review method. This is one sharp leather. I mean, it's leather no doubt - but it's not the rawhide or the sexy leather of Western Diamondback. It's a brand new black leather jacket. It's very masculine, it's very strong and it's quite distinct.

In the imp: Ack! Faux leather. I'm hoping it will smooth out into that buttery real leather smell that I love.

Wet: Still faux leather. The bf got it perfectly: I smell like a couch. A faux leather couch that has never been tested or used, just sitting in the store. Also extremely strong, like :P strong.

Dry: No good - it's just staying faux-leathery, if less strong and little bit like baby powder.

Final verdict: Definitely not what I wanted. :D Off to the swap pile!

I will say this first and foremost: I'm not a leather fan. If this turns out to be (as it has been on so many people) the bottled scent of leather jacket, I will be unexcited about it. Still, I would like to be able to better recognize the Lab’s leather scent, and since I’m told this is basically Leather Single Note... well, here goes.

The verdict is: De Sade smells like leather. Fresh off the wand, it’s quite chemical-ly to me, but it’s definitely a familiar chemicalness. (I always thought leather smelled sort of chemical on its own.)

You know, that’s really all I have to say. “Hey! Smells like leather!” So... yeah. Like leather? Try this. For my part, I’m finished here.

Mmmm, smells like a dressage saddle mixed with bull whip and a slight hint of dying black roses. Lovely, and it would be great on it's own or layered.

I got an imp of this in the hopes that it would smell like the leather collar I bought myself a few months ago, which is now sitting in storage with many other things, unable to be seen until September.

In the imp: A new sofa. :| Not what I was hoping for - too sharp. Of course, the scent is described as RAW leather, so this is my mistake more than anything.

On my skin: Oh dear. It's not just a sofa anymore - it's my dad's whole furniture store from when I was little. Definitely leather, but very sharp - almost acrid - and tasteable. Far more chemically than I was hoping for, and less deep and smooth than my collar's scent.

I'll keep the imp in the hopes that I can layer it, but I won't be wearing this alone. Even if it dries down to something more subtle, it's still not quite what I was looking for.

In the imp, terrifying. It did smell chemical and burnt and acrid and the other adjectives people used, but it was a sort of shifting smell, with different nuances each time I sniffed. I still didn't like the nuances and thought I would hate this.

On my skin, however, the chemical smell went away and it became my beloved motorcycle jacket. It became WAY less intense; with my nose pressed up against my elbow I could smell leather, and waayyyy under that some wood or spice that I can't identify. I guess my skin just swallowed it, since the smell was very powerful in the imp. The mysterious now-this-now-that is gone too, unfortunately.

In the bottle it was cleaner and fresher than what I usually like, it smelt almost citrusy :D

On my skin it was nothing but smoke, pure, unadulterated tobacco smoke and something else I couldn't place but it isn't leather.

I had to wash it off, which is a pity because I LOVE the smell of leather...and this wasn't it. :P

In the imp, it smells kind of like decaying leaves, but not moss, and a bit like some of the leaves are burning. Once it hit my skin the leather popped out, but it only stayed for maybe half an hour before going to soap. Not floral soap like most florals turn to, but kinda like nondescript soap that you'd find in a liquid soap dispenser in a public washroom. Actually, it's *exactly* like that kind of soap.

I'm not a huge leather fan anyways, though Western Diamondback is good, and it was a frimp, so I'm not too terribly disappointed, at least.

Well, what do you know, I got this imp of De Sade to layer/blend with Dirty and O to make a scent that smells like my Teddy Bear (and then scent all sorts of blankets and cuddly things with it to sleep with when he's not around), but I might just make him wear De Sade on its own and then seriously jump his bones.

In the vial: De Sade isn't at all chemical-y to me. It definitely smells like leather, but it smells almost like calfskin, almost buttery and smooth and slightly animalistic and musky. It triggers the same reaction in me as honey (but this makes sense as honey, as I surprisingly found out from Wikipedia, is in the leather scent family), so this is making me, ah, rather excited. Very sexy scent. Very masculine to me.

On skin: Being as Teddy Bear isn't around so I can slather this on him, I tested this on my arm. On me there was an even stronger "animal" note, but still not acrid of chemical-y (this is what I usually associate with the smell of leather). Still "buttery."

Dry: Oh, this lingers beautifully. God, this scent is hot. Right now I can imagine this raw leather scent coupled with that deliciously clean boy smell (I am hoping Dirty is reminiscent of this) and the touch of honey-like sweetness that is my Bear and it makes me wish we didn't live an hour and a half away from each other!

The throw is surprisingly not that strong, but that just makes it sexier because you'd have to lean in to properly smell this on a guy. I'm sure women can wear this too (it smells pretty good on me, but I'm very much a fruity-floral girl), but De Sade just screams "MALE" to me.

Edited to add: Have tested it on Bear and...yeah. Yeah.

Yeah.

Edited by theGreatMissJJ