Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

The essence of pleasure heightened by pain: the raw scent of leather.

In the imp: Leather.

On, wet: Leather.

Later: Leather. Quite similar to Dead Man's Hand, of course. But, while I hate to just repeat what others have said, if DMH is a saddle/tack room, De Sade is a brand new boot, or a leather jacket. It's a sharper, less homey leather, and I think I like DMH better, all told. Edited by Shollin

Wow! So it says "traditional masculine" but I don't care. I say again, WOW!

Did you ever walk into a leather store and notice that overwhelming leather smell that hits you as you set foot inside? Well, that's De Sade. I could stay all day and smell those stores, and that's how I feel about this oil. It fascinates and captivates me in the way that the smells of new plastic shower curtains, gasoline, and those old ditto copies teachers used to make do. :D Fortunately, it's also way smarter to sniff this stuff than to sniff the former three. :D

This will have to be a big bottle in the near future as I want to sprinkle it on everything and everyone. :P

Soft and old leather.

This one is Dead Man's Hand grandfather, less fresh but more smoky and interesting.

And if Dead Man's Hand is the perfect scent to put in the leather seats of your car, De Sade is the lurid leather that you would wear on your skin. :P

De Sade smells like soft brown leather to me, not hard black leather. I have a black leather sample from another perfumer, and it's SO harsh (it literally smells like new hard leather boots), that it's just unwearable for me.

De Sade is a true leather, just a bit milder, and easy for me to wear. This is the same leather note that's in Whip, to my nose. De Sade layers beautifully with London to produce a scent very reminiscent of Whip, but with richer roses which I love.

I've done a lot of experimenting with it, it's also great layered under Wanda for days I feel like really kicking ass. Very nice; I don't think I'll ever wear it alone, but I plan to buy a bottle to amp up the leather in some favorites, and to create the Whip-on-steroids blend I love.

Rating (on skin): 1/5

Summarised in one word: Leather!

In the imp: Sharp, heavy liquid leather.

On skin, wet: If there's anything else in De Sade, I'm not getting it; this is like a leather single note. I don't really dig this, but then, I've never liked the smell of (p)leather.

On skin, dry: Absolutely not. This is very dark, sharp and masculine. It smells as if I've just bathed myself in Eau de Biker.

Conclusion: I had to wash this one off. I didn't get a sexy, deep, warm and slightly sweaty leather as I'd hoped, but a new, crisp, Harley store leather. Pass.

Edited by Aredhel

yep smells like leather. i wasnt sure if this would be too 'manly' for me. i despise typical men's cologne scents. but i looove the smell of leather so this worked just fine. and as a female, i dont mind smelling like leather either, nor would i mind it on a boy, because it just smells that good.

I'd been wanting to try De Sade for ages, since Dead Man's Hand is one of my all-time faves, and lots of other leathery BPAL's seem to work well for me.

In the imp: Leather, but definitely a hard BLACK leather, unlike the warm natural leather of Dead Man's Hand.

Initial application: Oh dear, this is a very harsh leather! But I have faith it'll settle down in a minute or two.

Drydown: Alas, my faith was misplaced. I don't know why my skin hates De Sade when leather usually works so well... but oh gods, does my skin hate this. After about two minutes I started to get a chemically/industrial/rubber kind of smell, like the 'back shop' at my dad's office (he's an electrical contractor) where they store the giant reels of wire and conduit. After a few more minutes... it turned into road tar. And stayed road tar.

Definitely off to swaps with this one. :P

De Sade

In the imp: deep dark polished leather with a hint of something a bit sweeter.

Wet on skin: yup, leather! Like a real leather coat or a pair of new shoes.

Dry on skin: this really does smell like new shoes and biker jackets to me-I smell like I've walked into a cobbler's shop, or the leather stalls in Camden Market. It's a lovely scent, pure leather, quite sexy, I think. It smells like the leather has been freshly polished. It's pretty much a leather single note.

After a while: still leather, there's something slightly sweet, possibly resinous, which reminds me of polish, possibly shoe polish. It's so leathery, I'm amazed at how Beth can capture that scent so well.

Verdict: this is a very good quality leather scent, a leather single note. It smells like freshly polished black leather-like new shoes or boots, new biker jackets, and so on. I'm amazed as how Beth does it! I've really warmed to Beth's leather note in particular, but despite this being quite a sexy scent for both men and women, I prefer leather as a note in blends like Dee and King of Clubs, but I'd definitely keep the imp to layer with other scents if I ever feel like adding a leather note to my non-leathery BPAL.

I swapped for this one on a whim and whoa, leather. I wasn't sure I liked it at first, but it's oddly compelling. I'm definitely going to hang onto it and try layering it and/or ensnaring boys to put it on. Yum.

this is all campfirey smoke mixed with a fancy men's cologne....... :P

errrrrrrrrrr...uhmmmmmmmmmm.....weird.....

i don't get any of the leather.....just that odd campfire smell with

sweet cologne.......pretty strong.....off this goes to the boy........

might smell better on him......most certainly not for me........

Ooooo, leather! :P I am very much liking DeSade although I think I would enjoy it much more on a guy using it to peak my interest.

Leather. Nothing more, nothing less. Dominating and skirting the edge of overpowering and I love it very much. As it dries, I get a softer note from it, a bit of suede in the background.

I'm not convinced I'd wear it much on its own, but I think I would enjoy layering this with other scents. I've always found the BPAL leather note incredibly sexy, no matter the blend, so having leather in a bottle is a treat. :P

in the bottle: sharpish, neutral scent. Smells rather like my natural skin scent, but stronger.

on, dry: smells burnt, like wood maybe?

on, after ~1 hr: still smells of burnt wood, with a hint of green. Amuses me, but I'm not sure it's *love*. Feels more like the perfect thing to play with and see if it helps other yummy stuff stick around.

This seems inclined to continue all day in a sharpish, greenish subtle way.

5.30 pm: faint faint faint haze of clean skin scent on my wrist

On the second try, this gave me a persistent headache. It seems to get sharper and greener each time I wear it, which is a classic sign of something hating my guts and wanting to hurt me. So I'm going to chalk De Sade up as something I can't wear. It only lasts around 4-5 hours on me anyway, which is pretty short compared to the other scents I've tried.

Kalli

From sniffing it in the vial, I was thinking maybe I would like the scent of leather on me. But nope. Not me.

And it is all leather. I wouldn't mind smelling this on someone else but not on me.

went rooting through my imps and dug this out.

Leather leather and yet more leather. Wet & Dry

Love this and can't stop sniffing myself, I can't say that it's particularly masculine on me as the scent stays true on my skin. :P

indeed. Leather leather leather. Has almost a sweaty musky undertone to it, but that’s a good thing. I could wear this all the time… or I could go downstairs and pull out the leather box and work on my armor.

First Impression: Smoky metal.

Dries down to: Stays much the same.

Additional Comments: Once I saw that it was leather - just leather - it made more sense. Leather can be very tricky on me and this one simply doesn't work. It smells like a tack room after a fire.

Lasted: Several hours.

Rating: 1 out of 5

When I ease the tester open, the thick smell of expensive leather comes wafting up, a soft-sweet and smoky aroma. At first sniff, this isn't smooth store leather, this is hard briefcase leather, crisp and shiny. It's not a leather store smell. It's a leather belt smell. Lusty, lusty leather.

I apply it sparingly, since leather is almost overpowering on my skin. One dab, rubbed between both wrists, and suddenly I'm surrounded by a halo of the scent, which unfolds like a heavy black leather coat. It goes from a hard and shiny scent to a thick, hot, tight smell that is threatening and yet soft, like low-hanging clouds. There's so much warmth in this, and a dry brush of something else, something smoky almost like charcoal. It's dangerous, it's not subtle, and it's profoundly forward.

Sargon, my husband, comes in and the first words out of his mouth are "That smells great." And it does.

This isn't a new leather smell, it's a smell that's been broken in but not worn out, dirtied up a few times but cleaned well in between. This smell has been around, it's seen use, my darlings. It smells like a very fine but well-worn glove; you can almost hear the creak of the leather as this hand closes over your nose and mouth, stifling you. You can smell it, smell him, leather and a breath of smoke, the skin-smell of worn leather flush with body oil and just a little sweat. Slick, leather-clad fingers force their way into your mouth, across your tongue. You taste the leather as you breathe, back in your throat. They slip out, slide across to the back of your neck where a firm and merciless grip pushes you, pushes you down.

And De Sade is a deceptive bastard. He has throw, even though you might not think it for such a low-toned scent. The whipcrack can hit you from ten, fifteen feet away. And though he mellows as the night wears, even at the last he still glares at you with those great, hollow eyes from the leather chair in the corner, and those eyes say he knows just how to bend you to his will. And it doesn't get any better than that.

Not for the faint of heart, or the faint of loins.

Yum. Would have guessed incense, but nope. This delicious mellow smell is leather! A definitely none-of-that-generic-aftershave wonderful leather. Not every note shows up on everybody but I definitely got the (low) pleasure and skipped that heightening pain.

Maybe it’s conjuring the scent of happy leashes, but I’m wanting to emulate the bacon-treat commercial: “wag, wag, gimmee what’s in that vial…..” “No, Silly, it’s not bacon it’s: the Marquise de Sade and that's not a newspaper he's coming to spank you with..."

I really lurve this one.

De Sade

It's leather, simple as that. Paper dry and not at all sweet, masculine and not very complicated. I got it for a friend and he liked it enough to ask where he could get more. I doubt he'll ever go through the ordeal of ordering and waiting though.

Edited by Caltha

What's there to say that hasn't been said? De Sade smells deceptively of leather. Cold, hard leather complete with that sour edge; leather that's been used and dirtied. It's a leather glove wrapped over your mouth with a scent that's present enough to make you choke. (Oh, god. I just made myself blush.)

There's nothing warm and comforting about it. De Sade is a sharp and merciless fetish.

desade.jpg

The first 10 imps of this that I'd get from the Lab or in swaps, I couldn't get rid of fast enough. For a good year and a few months, this to me was nothing but the scent of bandaids. Yes, plastic bandaids. Not even the fun ones with the little cartoon characters, or the glow-in-the-dark kind, either.

Then I just decided, oh hell, and put some on, and mixed some together with Sin and Bengal. Well, I'll be damned. It *does* smell like leather. It's actually quite nice, too. I bought a 5mL to use as a basenote to layer with other scents, but this would do fine by me all on its own.

I usually hate masculine scents, but when it comes to leather I cannot resist. It's just like in my dear Perversion, suddenly my mind goes straight into the gutter. (Or err... farther down into the gutter, maybe into the sewer) This is sex. Hot, raw SEX.

I knew this was pretty much going to be like a leather single note. Being realistic even though I love the leather, I know I will feel a bit awkward wearing something this strong out of the house. But WOW, the layering potential of this beauty is endless. I am going to have so much fun seeing what innocent little perfumes I can make absolutely naughty.

De Sade does exactly what is says on the tin. It's the smell of leather, all right, but not a civilised leather, like the scent of a saddle room or a new leather coat. This has a more brutal tinge to it, like something chewing on a pile of raw cowhides or sucking on a thick leather glove. It's raw, and while not overpowering, it's totally and utterly distracting because, well, it smells like sex, and when I say sex, I mean a good, old-fashioned seeing-to, and by an old-fashioned seeing-to, I mean a 'grab you by the hair and unashamedly bang you up against wall until you forget what your name is, where you live and who you're married to' type of affair.

Ahem. It's enough to make a girl feel quite flustered, if you get my drift, and I'm quite sure you do. I keep looking around for this big, unsuitable and thoroughly sexy brute of a man and realising, oh, it's me, a simultaneously entertaining and frustrating, furniture-humping train of thought.

Gosh. This scent is almost too much for me on me, though I think I'd find it thoroughly intoxicating on the right kind of man. Perhaps I'll try layering it with something less forthright and masculine. I like leather all right, but on me at this intensity, it's just making me twitchy.

In the imp: Leather . . . I guess.

Wet: Heavily smoked cow meat, without the bbq sauce.

Drying: Get it off.

Dry: OMG, get it off.

Hours later: For the merciful love of Heaven, get it OFF.

Folks have suggested layering this, but on me, it is total stink and I don't want it near my skin. If I smelled this on a guy, I'd be checking to see if his clothes are on fire. To me it's not leather, it's burnt meat, like a herd caught in a brushfire. Perhaps it would smell better when applied to the right (male) wrist. My imp went to someone who might appreciate it more.