Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A vital, bold scent, throbbing with sensuality. Essence of dragon’s blood resin, thickened with myrrh and cherry, with a trickle of clove.

I don't really like the smell of cherries but I love the smell of clove and have been dying to find out what dragon's blood smells like so I was super excited to get this as a frimp. Unfortunately the only things I can identify are cherry incense and teeny tiny hint of clove, it's also incredibly powerful taking more than one big sniff of it starts to make my head dizzy so overall the description is apt. I wouldn't necessarily want to wear this again but if you want heads to spin as you walk by I would recommend Blood

In the imp: spicy cherry candy

Wet: cherry starts going a little cough-syrupy. I think the ultra-sweet cherry I get from DBR is pushing the cherry much too sweet and the clove is quite strong as well.

Dry: Much more restrained cherry, I think the myrrh is really holding down the fort, and the spice settled down as well. Surprised about how the DBR is working on my skin

Edited by roseus

Got both this and Bloodlust as frimps in the same order.

In theory, I should like this. In practice, the clove just takes over and while I LIKE clove, I don't LOVE clove. The myrrh starts to step up to it after an hour, but the cherry and DBR might as well not even be in there. This could be one of those that needs to age for a long time, but I have other DBR scents that I like better anyway.

The throw on this is impressive!

Wet: Deepened, darkened dragon's blood; dragon's blood and myrrh, with a tiny bit of clove.

Dry: Very, very similar to the wet stage. I think whatever cherry was in this, my skin ate up.

I'd say the clove is popping out just a bit more than the wet stage, but otherwise, it's all the same. It's like a deep, smokey dragon's blood.

I enjoy dragon's blood scents, but this one has left me a little "meh"; though that's not the blend's fault, I'm just not the biggest fan of clove. ;)

Edited by donkehpoo

Cherry that morphs into clove and dragon's blood.  This does indeed smell red, but it's a deep, dark red to me - not a brilliant bloody red. 

Several people mentioned it having a metallic edge but I dont get that at all. Its just a nice, lightly spicy dragons blood to me.

Imp from a forumite date stamped March 12, 2016.

In the imp: Cherry candy and dragon's blood. 

On my skin:

The cherry note tamps down a bit, and it's dragon's blood with a bit of myrrh and clove. As it dries, my skin reddens and tingles, which is probably the clove. I can smell the clove too, spicing up the cherry and dragon's blood. Once it has time to settle and develop on my skin, the myrrh comes out a bit more , cutting some of the cherry's sweetness. 

Ultimately, these notes don't quite mesh well on me. I think if it was just dragon's blood and clove, I could handle it. But the dragon's blood and cherry seem discordant with one another. And the myrrh just doesn't like anyone else in this blend. 

I got an imp of this a few months ago. I just tried it last night. 

Imp: Clove. Just clove. But I'm rubbish at noticing things in the bottles/imps. 

On My Skin: Myrrh & Clove (I am not sure what Dragon's Blood smells like, but I amp resins, so that might be that extra oomphy behind the clove or amping the clove?). The knowledge (now) that this has cherry? I would have told you you were joking. I never smelled cherry (it's been about 18 hours & my wrists are just a subtle clove). I also like that the clove feels dark & smooth & not like I am a pie.

I dumped it in a bath. So, basically, I smelled like this for a few hours (diluted, but that clove stuck it's landing, with myrrh cheering). I absolutely love it! It's on my wishlist for a bottle of it. 

Edited by TheLampades
wording

I have an imp of this. I get cherry & clove mostly, with a hit of dragon's blood & myrrh last.  It's a spicy one that reminds me of a kitchen cabinet at first, but as it fades it turns into a complex & luxurious scent.

Out of the imp of unknown age, I get sweet cherry popsicle. That fades pretty quickly as the clove takes control on my skin. There is a metallic-ness there. The cherry isn't completely gone but I wish it'd come out to play some more. Drying down all I'm really getting is that metallic clove. After about an hour, I get a hint of myrrh, or is it dragon's blood? as everything fades away...

Oh, delicious! Spicy cherry candy indeed! Hard candy at that. 
On drydown the candy-ness of this goes away and i'm left with a lovely clove and dragon's blood. Very nice, but i loved that wet stage! 

I never get much cherry in this. It's mostly clove and spicy myrrh. I'm not sure what dragon's blood smells like, but there's something sinister and smoky in the background that might be it?

Seems like this would be great for layering if you want to add some spicy incense to a perfume. Spice really tends to amp on my skin, though, so maybe the clove wouldn't be so loud on someone else.

I am so confused. my skin completely eats this?? I have to press my face right up next to the swatch and even still i smell barely anything? It has a weird undertone that was also in Black Ice 2013 but it has no other scent to it. weird 

edit: myrrh decides it would poke only ITS head out so thats what i smell of now. just myrrh. 

Edited by Weirdgirlpilled

My second BPAL fragrance. Very similar to Blood Popsicle from the Only Lovers Left Alive collection, but with less complexity and more cherry in the fruit note, rather than pomegranate and/or berry. A sensual, strong, and long-lasting scent for spooky days and every day!

got this as a frimp and i'm very delighted with it! before the drydown, it is very strong and spicy. I can smell clove very clearly (and possibly some cinnamon?), some sweetness coming through from the cherry, as well as a lovely licorice. it's not changing much as time passes, but that's totally fine with me because I really adore the spicy and lingering fruity-ness.

the throw on this smell is crazy. I put it on and went right to the kitchen to get some water. a few minutes later my mom came to me and asked about the perfume because it wafted from the kitchen to where she was in the living room. you will smell in a 20 ft radius of Blood.

Edited by asoursweetsixteen

Wet, this is sour cherry candy and clove. Dry, it becomes incense and clove with the cherry fading sweet and tart into the background. And then it stays this way. I'm picking up an an earthy quality to it as well. It's probably one of the resins but I couldn't tell you for certain. 

Blood is powerful and has a lot of throw. I can wear very little (a single droplet shared between my wrists) and my mother will complain that it's too strong - though she's particularly sensitive to smells. It also lasts a loooong time. Many a night I've gone to sleep wearing blood and awoken some 8 hours later to find it still clinging to my skin.

Testing a frimp of unknown age.

This fragrance opens with - BAM - a bracing blast of spice, which I interpreted as cinnamon until I looked at the notes. For a brief time, sweet cherry vies for space. It's a good cherry - cherry liqueur rather than cough syrup - but still loses the battle. For about an hour, I'm in nothing but a sweet cloud of spice.

Then the dragons blood takes over. So, to my nose, dragons blood resin smells like musty flowers and fruit candy. (It doesn't help that I,  two decades removed from college, still associate it with dorm room incense lol.) It wears like a dragons blood single note after that.

This is indeed a bold, sticky red scent. I have a feeling it smells very different on different people. But I can't do this much dragons blood, and without the cherry, it loses complexity on me.