Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
heartbeast

Graveyard Dirt

... This is the scent of pure graveyard dust, spattered with grave loam and dusted lightly with tombstone moss.

Just got the new 2008 Graveyard dirt and dang - Get the shovels and flashlights cuz this smells just like sneaking through a cemetary at midnight.

Cool damp wet earth, freshly turned, very loomy. A "light" dirt scent. crazy how spot on this is. Edited by Shollin

Wow. I find this scent just amazing... When I ordered it, I was dumb and thought it was going to be some artistic interpretation of "Graveyard Dirt," but I was bowled over when I actually got a chance to smell it. It really does smell like good, wet dirt. The healthy kind of dirt that's full of potential. I find it to be a relaxing scent and would wear it as an every-day perfume, but I work as a houskeeper and no one wants their housekeeper to smell like dirt. :P

bottle: dirt.

wet: dirt.

dry: dirt.

seriously, i was expecting this to be just like zombi. but now that i can smell them side by side, i can really tell that zombi has moss and dried rose and this is just plain ol' dirt. wet, fresh dirt in a bottle. incredible.

i bought this for my husbands halloween present (we don't do xmas, and this year it's our first anniversery too!) because i know he loves any scents that smell like trees, forests, or earth.

well so far he's got his EARTH right here!

i opened the bottle and my first sniff gave me kind of a "GLURG" reaction, because it just so much smells like the real damn thing! this IS earth! wet dirt, after a rain, with a little leaf mold. it smells like the dirt filled boxes my mom used to raise worms in when i was a kid. moist, earthy, with even that slight undertone of decay that real, fertile earth actually has. i would absolutely not wear this (unless i was dressed up as a zombie hahaha!) but i think my husband will be THRILLED, and i should definately purchase a backup bottle as well.

(I'm sorry I can't access the Lab's page to get the official descrip for this, I would appreciate if someone would do that, thank you!) :P

Wow I'm first on this one, really?

I remember back when I first joined this forum and Graveyard Dirt (the original of course) was already hard to get ahold of back then and was pretty hyped up amongst the soil lovers in the community. I had always been intrigued by it, as I love the smell of rich soil myself.

I was pleasantly surprised to see this new incarnation and so I immediately got a decant from a decant circle. If you are looking for dirt... well here it is. When I sniffed it, it was clear to me that this was not the rich scent of fresh soil that I was thinking it would be. But it IS soil at the same time - but instead, it's that gritty, fungusy soil. Sort of appropriate for the season but the bitter edge of that sort of fungusy smell (ever picked mushrooms in your back yard? That smell) is not pleasant to my nose. It does settle into a sort of muskier version after just 5 minutes or so, but it keeps that soil edge to it. It also sticks close to my skin, I have to bring my nose right up to my wrist to get this one.

Certainly unique, there is no wonder why it's loved by those who really crave that dirt scent :D

In The Bottle

Mossy dirt

On Application

Slightly fungal dirt.

Dry Down

My beloved dirt note, light and cool. Not alot more to say love it and will be useful for layering

Rating (0-5)

in the bottle DIRT! also DIRTDIRTDIRT! more earthy and less perfumey than worm moon, this is one i need to get me through the scentless days of winter.

wet on skin a little fungus-y, but still so loamy and amazing.

dry on skin it's a dark, humus-y, earthy, amazing scent and it doesn't smell like a perfume rendition of dirt, but like somehow beth was able to distill actual dirt. this is art.

i'm not sure what it is about dirt scents, but i've noticed that people who aren't expecting them really reel back from the bottle when you proffer it. it doesn't make me reel at all, but i've had two people now say "whoa" and stagger backward from dirt scents.

I was able to score a partial imp of the original release of Graveyard Dirt.

In the imp: wet earth. Amazingly true scent.

Wet: wet earth with a hint of ... menthol. Weird.

Drydown: this has substantial throw and it smells like wet dirt. Only when I put my nose up close to my arm can I detect the menthol, which lingers close to my skin.

I love this. The question is, do I need the BPAL version of this...or the TAL (which I suspect will have a similar scent)?

straight sniff from imp is moldy but in the best way possible...huh???

actually you know when you shuck fresh corn and one of the kernels gets pierced??

well, it is really that scent!!

once applied this gets amazingly sweet...to me this is fresh, sweet, just picked corn....

and i am in l-o-v-e....this will be a bottle purchase for sure and now i know what

the fuss was all about for this phenomenal perfume =-))

I'm not at all surprised to find that this is the dirtiest dirt blend I've ever come across.

I don't know what to say beyond that. I'm reasonably sure I wouldn't wear this by itself, even though I LOVE the smell of dirt. I'll layer it with some things to see.

eta: oddly enough, my fiance really likes this one on me. I already have one bottle on the way, but maybe a backup wouldn't hurt :P

Edited by iiinterstate

It smells like dirt! :P

I don't know why this is such a surprise.

In the bottle it smells like (raw, unwashed) mushrooms, and on my skin it smells like the garden section of a hardware store. It fades out on my skin faster than I want it to, so I'm sitting here happily snorfing my wrists. I love smells like this -- unusual, surprising, how'd-they-get-THAT-in-a-bottle? smells.

Nothing new to add, it smells like dirt or soil. I'm amazed at how accurate it is (and how fast my skin devours it!). I think this would be great for layering. :P

I asked hubby and he said it smells like in town (Colonial Williamsburg) when everything smells earthy and damp.

:P Thank the BPAL gods! I love earth scents and after beating around the bush buying scents that contain dirt or loam I finally went straight to the dirty, wonderful source. This is so unbelievably amazingly dirt-smelling :D

Or technically, it smells like dirty mushrooms, or spore filled dirt that you catch a cool, calming breath of because you stuck your head under your porch to see what was going on under there :D

There's a slightly burning, peppery, hint of incense when fully dry for me. This is freakin' awesome! Bottle for me, please!!

2008 version.

In the bottle: WOW. Dirt and ... nail polish remover? Definitely something sharp and biting in there.

On me: Thankfully the piercing note goes away and it's just rich, loamy DIRT with something woody lurking in the background. Most excellent.

Of all the bottles I ordered this time, I was waiting for this one the most and it has not disappointed. It is the essence of loamy earth and I adore it. It smells exactly what it says. I have always been a fan of the earth scents and thus Rappicini's garden has been a focus of mine. I wish I could afford a gallon of this scent.

Definitely smells like dirt! And I like that smell -- not to wear, but just to sniff, haha. I had my mom smell it without telling her what it was and I asked her what she thought it was and she said, "It smells like a grave!" So yes, this is very accurate!

Wet, upturned dirt and moss.

It has this green vibe, that reminds me of my compost out back. The smell when I am tyring to mix it together.

The 2008 version is so light on me that I can barely smell it :D And when I can, I get more of a loamy smell than a dirt smell. Still, I'm going to hang on to my bottle to see how it ages, or maybe to wear on a day when I want a dirt scent that isn't as strong and rich as Worm Moon or Premature Burial. :P

very much soil.

very grounding.

i love it.

it doesn't seem to last long on my skin. but i think i'm going ot wear it with one of my more flowery scents. it'll be like being in a lovely garden.

Hooray!

*eta: I tried layering Graveyard Dirt with Marae yesterday, and it was GREAT!*

Edited by xoe

The soil after the rain covered by moss and mushrooms. It`s more real than reality. :P

Mushroom beds! Wet, the notes remind me a lot of those in Death Cap. It's very mushroomy.

Then it becomes damp compost, with the mushrooms in the background. Rotting wood, too. It smells like an overturned stump.

I like it. My boyfriend hates it ("too much like real dirt!").

I suppose I'll wear it when I'm leaving the house, as it only lasts about an hour on me.