Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
heartbeast

Graveyard Dirt

... This is the scent of pure graveyard dust, spattered with grave loam and dusted lightly with tombstone moss.

It really does smell like wet potting soil on my skin. It's quite remarkable for what it smells, but this isn't my type of thing. Oddly enough, a few minutes after I swiped my wrist with Graveyard Dirt, I tried to sniff it again, but it was gone. Completely. Perhaps it was a one-off thing....

Wow, this smells exactly like walking through the old Metairie Cemetery by my home in New Orleans.

Growing up, I would often walk through the rows of gorgeous family crypts and tombs surrounded by rusty ironwork, sun bleached tombs and ancient oak tree-lined paths.. The paths are twisted; crumbled corners of tombs jut out; and dead ends added to the eerieness of the area.

This is *that* smell.

In the bottle, I could barely smell a thing - quite surprising, as I was sort of expecting that cold musty blast you'd expect when dragging open the door to a crypt in the dead of night. Nope.

On the skin, though, it really took off - strong, and lasting. Pure, wet, earthy soil. This is really amazing stuff. I'm looking forward to layering with scents that I like but are too... fresh or fruity, hoping it will bring them down to a wearable gravity.

Of course, I expect I'll be wearing it straight up a lot too! :P

How else to describe it, but rich and loamy? I smell dirt. It is a rich dirt, like dark, mineral-rich mid-western farmland with a lot of moss growing in...

I am really glad that I tried this, but it is really not so much my thing.

i'm a landscape designer so i knows me some dirt and this is dirt! the good, i'm happy to be planting in it because it rich and full of humus and organic matter. the only thing is fades super fast. it's a hit at the nursery i shop at though...

The other reviewers have described this very well. I just want to add that this is the first BPAL I was ever totally amazed by. It makes me happy, it makes me feel buoyant, it makes me feel quenched. It's my clear favorite. I so wish it weren't an LE. Please, please, bring it back.

In the bottle: Stunning! The scent of wet earth in a forest, with mushrooms and moss. It's delightful!

Wet: Same as in the bottle, with a strong mushroom scent.

Drydown: It does smell like graveyard dirt, with all kinds of different kinds of soil and dusts, loam and chalky grounds, with a hint of dust and stone. I still smell mushrooms and moisture. It's so complex! It's literally like I *am* walking outdoors when I smell this.

Overall: I love this! It's the most unbelievable scent, it just... aah!! So evocative! I can't stop gushing about it. I don't even know if I'd wear it, but actually I got some interesting reactions from people. For example, saying "it smells like earth, but *elegant* earth" or "I know this smell, but what is it?". Beth is a witch! :D I love this to bits, I think I'm going to have to find myself a bottle, if only to layer with other scents.

:P

Graveyard Dirt :P

This is everything I hoped it would be. The honest and true smell of healthy, fertile soil. I can't really add anything to the descriptions. If this gets released again it will be my first multiple bottle purchase, no question. The layering possibilities boggle my mind :D

Like others have said, this is pure dirt - fresh and wet. I was expecting something a bit dustier from the description, but no, this dirt is alive.

It's totally not my thing for a scent to wear, but I've already used it a few times as a room scent. Specifically, I used it while playing a scary game and when reading a horror novel. And yeah, it really added to the mood.

As others have said, this is pure dark and mushroomy potting soil. So realistic! If day dirt and night dirt smell different, then this is night dirt. Cold, dark, and damp-yet fresh. As it dries, the mushroomy note fades and then GD reminds me of that metallic dirt scent that happens right when it begins to rain.

Graveyard Dirt doesn't last long on me, but its very evocative. One whiff of it and my mood is instantly changed to calm and grounded. This is my perfect bedtime scent.

In Bottle: Pure dirt

On Skin: Like Zombi, I get fishtank water from this. Dirt and ozone. After about 5 minutes, it turns into pure dusty dirt. That’s it. Super earthy, slightly moist but also crumbly and dusty. I feel like I’ve been gardening. I like the smell, but it’s nothing I’d ever wear as a fragrance or use as a room scent. I actually don’t know what I’d use it for, as a novelty I guess. It’s simple and straightforward. Dirt. I get a very *slight* whiff of the moss, it makes the dirt a little fresher if that makes any sense. An interesting scent, average throw and short wear length.

Yep, dirt. Wet, sweet dirt.

I would not dare wear this as a perfume. I got a little bit of oil on my fingers when I opened the imp and now it's all I can smell. My skin amps the BPAL dirt note more than any other, and it's no exception here. This is really, incredibly strong on me. I feel like it's all around me, everywhere, and I swear it's only a really tiny bit just on my fingers. I sort of feel like I'm being buried alive. This is not a particularly pleasant feeling, so I'm going to go right now and wash my hands really good.

Graveyard Dirt - As with all dirt scents, I don't find this appealing in the least -- at least not to wear as a fragrance! It definitely smells like moist, dark soil, and of all the dirt scents I've tried so far, it's the most pleasant. I can't really tell what else is in the blend, but it seems like something green and mossy may be blended with the dirt, and possibly something very lightly floral. I also detect a light touch of camphor. It doesn't have much throw on me, and my dry skin eats it up pretty quickly; however, as far as the scent goes, it's very genuine, and I imagine anyone who really likes dirt fragrances would like Graveyard Dirt.

wet in the imp and fresh on my skin:

this is the garden we had when i was little! rich Georgia soil (and a little bit of red clay) that has been used as a garden for 20+ years. loamy, rich, fertile.

tomato plants, okra, sunflowers, zucchini.... all the leaves from what we grew...

and a little bit of rain.

moist, lush, rich Mother Earth.

once this touched my skin, it blossomed into the way our garden smelled after a heavy rainstorm -- but within ten minutes the smell was completely gone.

*poUt*

i'll treasure this imp, bring it out occasionally to sniff, just to be able to *remember*

and keep it near the jar of soil from that garden that i keep with me.

thank you, Beth. for again gifting me a memory.

This really *does* smell like dirt. And I'm not a fan of smelling that way.

Pass.

In the bottle: Wet dirt and moss. Just like the description says.

Wet: Mold and dirt. This is a lot lighter than I expected.

Dry: Mold. Or maybe mushrooms.

This is definitely interesting, but not something I can imagine wearing.

In the bottle: Potting soil.

Wet: a super-strong smell of fresh, rich soil, with a hint of something like camphor that was previously mentioned, and a mushroom scent.

Dry: Pretty much like mushrooms planted in dirt. I feel like if I put on a lot of this and went out, people would wonder if I was just digging in the garden/myself out from the grave. Very simple. Hard to imagine smelling like this. But oh, I would.

I love this. In the bottle, it's dark, moist, fresh dirt with just a little bit of "green" lurking underneath. On my skin is stays a very "dirty" scent. But fresh dirt. Freshly dug. After about 15 minutes though the dirt smell gets softer and there's an almost floral sweetness. I'm guessing from the moss. It has no staying power though and there's only much throw while it's still freshly applied. I've had it on for about an hour and I can barely even smell it anymore. Even when I put my nose directly to my wrist. I love it though. I wish it lasted longer. *sad*

wet: dirt with a sweet warm undertone and a hint of pachouli.

drydown: peppery sweet damp black soil with a warm, almost nutty hint.

After half an hour, barely perceptable but still pretty true to the "fresh turned black earth" smell.

This is about as close to advertised as it gets.

I dressed up as Samara from The Ring last Halloween and slathered myself in Graveyard Dirt all night (since it fades so quickly) and it REALLY freaked people out. This is not a regular wearing scent by any means, but it's fun to have when I want it and I just can't see myself giving up that imp anytime soon.

i got a sniffie of this with just enough to try a few times. i smell pure dirt with moss, like zombi without the roses. it has a wetness to the scent like dirt after the rain. this is very nice, since i love dirt notes! only thing is, my skin eats it right up :P

Edited by theseagrows

Holy crap this is amazing. I thought anything with a dirt note would smell gross but I decided to take a chance and this stuff is amazing. I just got a very large sample (like 2 imps worth) and want even more.

This smells like very moist soil, and little else. The dampness almost makes me think of a compost heap which I'm not crazy about. Sometimes I get a hint of something peppery in there. I wanted to smell more of the moss. There's something almost decaying about the scent, which seems appropriate. It stays very close to my skin, with almost no throw. So far I've only worn it 2 or 3 times and I look forward to exploring it some more. I do really like earthy scents from time to time.

Edit to elaborate some more, in light of the re-release.......

I just can't get past a certain very moist aspect of this scent. It reminds me of a freshly turned stone on a damp forest floor. There is a discussion elsewhere about speculating what notes are in what blend. Someone mentioned beets in relation to the dirt note, and when I read that, I thought.....YES.....that's what Graveyard Dirt reminds me of. Dirt and beets. Now I love borscht on occasion, but this just doesn't work for me as a scent. I do, however, love Burial and Premature Burial. Go figure.

Edited by Forspecial Plate

Um... it smells just like... Dirt. Wet dirt. (Since it's been raining here, I have a fresh comparison.) The scent gives me the impression that I'm in a damp tunnel underground.

I'm not overly fond of dirt notes so I will probably let this one go to someone else who will love it lots but anyone who likes dirt notes, get some. It's amazingly true to life and I really don't know how she did that! (I'm almost tempted to keep it just for the 'how in the hell' value!)

Sadly, it doesn't last very long on me...

Wow. This REALLY is dirt. Wet dirt. Potting dirt - the rich and loamy kind. It smells like it. When I first uncapped the vial and applied it, I got the delicate smell of a mushroom cap. This vanished. And it was wet dirt.

Unfortunately, my skin eats this right up. Maybe 30 minutes, and then its gone. But while it lasts - dirt, dirt and more dirt.