Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
phaedrine

Skuld

Ylang ylang, honey, Egyptian and Arabian musks and labdanum.

Hmm, Skuld smells like Dimetapp cough syrup on me. It's not an unpleasant smell at all (in fact, when I was young, I used to love the taste of Dimetapp when I was sick), but I don't really want to smell grapey and medicinal. I think I'll use up my imp on days when I'm not going to leave the house. I can definitely see this scent being wonderful (spicy, sweet) on someone else.

Edited by Clementine

I ordered an imp of this from the lab, then initially slightly regretted it when I sniffed it through the GC circle swap. Nothing bad about it -- it was just an almost undetectable whiff of sweet musky ylang-ylang. I shrugged and put my newly-arrived lab imp in the "maybe" drawer, thinking that it might age well or something.

I opened it today after reorganizing the afformentioned maybe drawer. It's been less than a month of aging on the lab-fresh imp (so the one I tested must have been older), and this is the most amazing wash of golden-sweet honey I've ever smelled! The ylang-ylang adds some florally goodness without being sharp, the labdanum grounds it, and the musks are understated and sensual. The circle-swap imp must have been from a more floral batch. I had the opposite reaction to Osun -- my test sniff of it was all glorious honey, wheras my impulsive bottle and swapped imp were both kind of herbal -- nice, but not the honeyed glory I was hoping for. I regretted selling away my beloved imp of Honey Moon thinking Osun would fill that gap. Now I have Skuld and I smell like honey and it's GC and doesn't need to age and it's *all mine*. *wriggles happilly*

This was a real morpher!

Wet: Grape juice-- strong, straight up grape juice.

Dry: The grape juice went away, and it turned gorgeous! I don't know how to describe it precisely-- sweet and spicy. Someone said "comforting," and I totally agree.

I'm really liking this--it was a frimp from the Lab, and I may get a bottle. What a nice surprise!

Skuld-

In Bottle: Mmm, I like the honey a lot.

Wet: The honey smells like it's mixed with musk. Which, of course, it is!

Dry: It's a nice honey-musk blend, but it doesn't really send me. I find myself comparing it to the honey of "O" too much (which is hard to beat, I admit).

Overall: Not exciting for me.

honey and ylang ylang tend to not be my favorite scents, but i thought perhaps mixed with musks and laudanum i'd fare better. i suppose i did, because this IS a pretty scent, but i think the honey ruins it for me. bpal's honey note often turns to a strange straw-like musty scent on me, and it's doing that in this blend. luckily the ylang ylang isn't too strong. in fact my skin eats most of the scent up and leaves a linger of honey behind.

In the imp: Sweet and floral. I smell a whiff of honey.

On Skin: It becomes a sweet medicine and after like 10 minutes, it's got this Cokey-soda smell to it. :P

On Drydown: Still sweet. The florals have come out to play but it still has this medicinal/cokey-soda base to it... which I assume is the laudanum.

Verdict: Skuld does not love me. I get a medicinal herby feel to it. It's not unpleasant but I'm not sure I want to smell like medicine... no matter how wonderful it smells.

Wet on skin: Grapey-orangey tartness, indistinct florals, honey. Nice.

Dry on skin: Goodbye grapes, hello musk. It's not a heavy musk, sort of a pale golden thing. Fits perfectly into the honey.

Drydown: Honey and BEESWAX! Oooh, this is good! I suppose that faint tinge of floral must be the ylang ylang. I'm really impressed. From a nondescript wine-and-honey thing at the start (just like Anubis, Kali, Delphi, etc), it's turned into this really rich beeswax scent. This isn't like anything else I've tried.

Lobster Rating

Better than: hot buttered toast

wow!! i expected this to be all honey on me. it's lovely.

imp: honey. honey, honey, honey.

finger: honey, with the egyptian musk stuff. i smell.......amber? maybe thats ylang ylang. i never really knew how it smelled other than its sweet and yummy.

i'd like a bottle of this. really lovely.

I ordered this because I am a major anime geek and I love Skuld from "Oh! My Goddess" but I was disappointed with this... If I had to describe this scent in one word it would be "pee". In the bottle, on my skin, it doesn't matter. I threw this in one of my dressers for about 6 months with other imps I didn't like and just recently got it out to see if a friend of mine would take some of my other imps off my hands and her reaction to this one?

"Smells like pee!" :D

I'm not really sure what notes I find so disagreeable but I'm thinking... Maybe the musk? :P

Sniffing it out of the imp and while still wet on my skin I get grape. Not a bad grape, but grape. I think of purple grape juice.

Later, after it's dry, I get what I think I've seen termed "cat pee". This just doesn't work on me which is kind of depressing. Hoping Urd or Verdandi will work out better. :P

In the vial: This smelled so off and so strange to me. I kept trying to place the scent, but the closest I can come to describing it is Welch's grape juice with a completely gone over sort of sharp awfulness to it. I almost didn't want to put it on me, but remembering that morphing can reveal loveliness, I went ahead....

Wet: Oh. Horrible on me. Rancid Welch's grape juice and pee. And when has emthree ever smelled Welch's grape juice and pee for comparison's sake......bwahahah.....some secrets can never be told...... :D

Dry: This just doesn't react well with my skin. I WANTED lovely, luscious honey. I love the Lab's honey blends to little pieces, and they mostly love me back. This is a notable exception, and the ONLY BPAL I have ever scrubbed off. It was just this amazingly bad smell on me, with some real throw, and probably staying power, too.

Reading the reviews, I am SO JEALOUS of the people who's chemistry is such that they got such lovely notes from this. I blame the combo of honey and ylang-ylang. Ylang-ylang is one of those notes that is occasionally doesn't play well for me....this is one of those time. Wah!! :P

Oh, no. Nope. Honey and ylang ylang seem to be pretty bad in combination; Eve went the same way: sharp, with the slightest edge of rotting flowers. With a bit of grape fizz.

This is a very pretty, slightly floral honey musk on me. I'm not getting anything resembling cat pee, luckily. I'd actually even consider a bottle, except that when I'm looking to smell like honey and musk, I've got a perfectly swoon-worthy bottle of Sed Non Satiata already in my BPAL box.

Still, if the description appeals to you, I'd highly recommend this one!

For all those complaining Skuld smells like Dimetapp or grape soda wait until it dries!

When it finally does though (a good 15 minutes :-/), it smells bearable. Like Darjeeling tea saturated with too much honey. Not as musky as would have liked.

I have to agree, Skuld in the bottle is really kinda gross. I got a frimp two days ago and set it aside after sniffing. Bleh.

But then I looked at reviews and decided to give it a chance! It's really rather nice on me. It turns into a powdery, light musk and floral blend. I don't get much of a honey note, but everything else is nice!

Someone recommended this to me. I can identify the musk in the imp, which is a note that I do not like. When I accidentally splashed some on my skin the musk faded and I liked it, but now that I've actually put some on my skin, I understand now what people mean by 'cloying' florals. This is the imp that taught me how much I truly hate ylang-ylang. Trade.

Edited by Roses Ablaze

Wet this is very sweet fruit and spices with grapes or berries. When first on it's a sweet floral, maybe honeysuckle, mixed with musk. This feels bright, warm and golden. This becomes a close to the skin honey musk blend. It's a cozy and comforting scent. Very nice and I'll use up the imp for sure.

I adore ylang ylang so I had to try out this scent.

In the bottle, it was a sweet floral with lots of yummy ylang ylang smell.

On my skin, I got floral with a surprising fruit smell, kind of like grape candy as others have said. At first, the floral had a cologne-y edge that I didn't like, but it wore off quickly. After a few minutes the musks kicked in, and I'm positively reeling with bliss. The ylang ylang and honey are grounded very nicely by the musks. (I can't tell what the labdanum does because I haven't tried anything else with it to pick out the note.) The fruity note that was so strong at first changes to hide and seek. I keep sniffing my wrists.

I used to make my own lotion with ylang ylang and patchouli because I love the high florals grounded with a lower deeper scent. This is the same effect in a lovelier, more complex scent than I could ever make.

Verdict: A gorgeously sweet scent. I think I might buy a full bottle of this one.

The way this one smells on me, I would have sworn that cognac or wine grapes were one of the notes in the blend. It is very sweet and almost grape-y, with warmth from the honey. Looking at the listed notes, I guess that's the ylang ylang then? I'm not sure. It's not particularly musky and I've never been able to identify labdanum in a blend.

I really like this, though. :P

It is a sleepy musk scent, that is warm and comforting, with a touch of sensuality to it. It is like a warm bed on a Sunday morning. :P The strongest notes for me are the honey and the two musks. I don’t think it is particularly masculine but it would work well on a guy. I think I will keep the Imp, and think about a big bottle.

This is rich, heady and sensual! I am not one to like the ylang ylang very much, but it isn't very prominent for me in this blend. This is mostly honey iwth some very strong fruit undertones. It reminds me a lot of Athens, actually. There is definitely something comforting about this blend; it exudes warmth. Not sure if this one screams 'bottle' to me, but it is lovely for sure.

I loved Skuld in "Ah! Megami-Sama!" so I had high hopes for this.

This is pots and pots of gooey, sticky honey. Instead of O's glittery, powdery amber, the ylang-ylang adds indole into the honey.

Maybe when Skuld and Noble Scarlet get a Goddess First Clas license and start breaking hearts, this will be her smell.

Unfortunately, my skin goes crazy with sweet notes and there's just not enough bitterness/darkness in Skuld. :sigh: It's really very good for what it's supposed to be, if you get my drift.

I definitely get the musks in this and the addition of honey makes it smell like confectionery when initially applied then a gentle spiciness comes through but I don’t think this is a favourite for me. I can smell the ylang ylang but it’s a tiny bit medicinal – or is that the labdanum? Five minutes later, something lovely begins to emerge! It’s a keeper after all.