Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
phaedrine

Skuld

Ylang ylang, honey, Egyptian and Arabian musks and labdanum.

this was a frimp from the lab.i like the sound of the notes in skuld, but out of the imp, this does not smell good to me - it's the scent i call "sickly sweet", and i'm beginning to think that some honeys smell that way to me. on my skin it is very odd - the ylang ylang is struggling to come out - i happen to love ylang ylang, it usually works quite well on me. but here, it's mixed with something slightly fruity, and i can't make out exactly what. the effect is a bit chemically. this is one of those scents that seems to have a "personality crisis" on my skin. the notes aren't quite meshing or something. i may want to try this again sometime, for the ylang ylang, but i have a sad feeling this one just may not work on me.

I get a very sweet, golden amber-honey scent out of this, with a wash of spicy-musky florals. It's very lovely--light and innocent in a lot of ways, with the hint of something more grown up and darker. The scent of 'being' indeed!

In bottle: Mostly honey, with the other stuff behind it.

On me: The honey goes very light, becoming a note that sweetens the musk rather than one that dominates it. The ylang ylang is also very restrained, thank goodness.

In the Vial: Heady and thick; sweet sweet honey, something spicy. Everybody here knows I love how honey smells, right? Right.

On Wet: Mmm, there's the musks and honey and I can't find the ylang-ylang in specific, of labdanum, but the scent is fine for all that. It's very nice, and definitely flirting with bottle territory.

Dry: This dried down to near nothing, something you have your nose next to your skin to catch. But it would occasionally whiff up, as if to tease you. Here I am! It's a really good scent, but I'm not sure if it's big-bottle territory. Maybe, maybe not. Probably not, as it's very reminiscent of O, which I have in Big Bottle, but-- different.

When I first sniffed Skuld, not knowing what was in it, I thought it smelled incensey. When I applied it, I immediately thought of Urd and Blood Lotus. And after a while, I was very much reminded of Urd, one of the other Norns, of course, and also one of my original BPAL loves. I then read the ingredients, and realized that Skuld and Urd don't have any components in common. Weird! But cool!

What I get from Skuld is a top note that has a grapey, sweet wine quality, probably from the combination of ylang ylang and honey. How does that happen? Cool! I usually have ylang ylang become too sweet, and becomes too sour, but together, they form a sweet grapey wine smell. Then the musks provide depth and a bit of a peppery kick, and I'd guess there's some black musk in this blend. Finally, I detect a smoky, incense-like resin, probably from the labdanum.

I like this scent so much that I'm on the edge of buying a bottle. And it's certainly one of those amazing BPALs that seem to break all the rules!

On the imp: uh-oh. This smells like candy. Too much like candy for me. Do I detect grape jelly?

Wet: Still candy. I don't see the ylang ylang anywhere. It starts to become pleasantly like violet-flavoured hard candy (and if you have never tried it, you're missing something good).

Dry: the final result is still too sweet for me. It is pleasant, but it's either a stricly-only-for-bellydance-in-public, or a good layer with something very light and fresh.

In the imp: Labdanum and ylang ylang.

Wet: The same, plus honey. Complicated, heady, resinous.

Drydown: Ooh, now what's going on? Mmmmusk, almost like amber. The longer this sits on me, the more the sweetness comes out -- and the musk boosts the staying power, so the honey hangs around for quite a long time. This is one of the gentler and more pleasant honey blends, given a touch of tanginess at the beginning by the resin and floral notes.

wow. this is warm and sexy. this is me. the honey is spicy and not to sweet.the word heady comes to mind. A beautiful norse goddess who has perhaps gotten a bit typsy on mead. this would pair amazingly well with lush's Flying Fox. they arent identical at all but they are akin.

I smell green honey, starting to ferment. It's sickly sweet. As it dries, I pick up a very grapey scent in addition to rotten honey. Um, no. This one is NOT for me. Also, it feels a little burny on my arm. Off to the swaps with ye!

Faerygirl: It smells like honey with brood (that's baby bees - little larvae) in it!

I received an imp of Skuld in a swap and was surprised that I has never tried it before. It has everything in it that I like to wear. Although it is not listed, I do smell fruit in it like some of the other reviewers. The honey smells delicious and blends well with the musks. Surprisingly, the ylang-ylang doesn't put in too much of an appearance since my skin chemistry will really amp that and ruin scents. Overall, I love this and will purchase a bottle with my next order! :P

I did get a frimp of this from the Lab ages ago but it looks like I never put a review up.

To be honest, I have to say that I didn't try this one except for a few drops that splattered me when I opened the imp. Something in this smells ferociously bad and makes me nauseous, and I wasn't inclined to risk trying it and then not being able to scrub it off. :P

What I got was a really strong wine/plum/fruity note, probably the labdanum. Where it made contact with my skin it began to smell a little more resin-y, but I washed it off pretty quickly.

If I ever get frimped another one of these I'll be brave and give it a go -- Hymn works for me, and that also contains labdanum.

I love any and all musks, and get along fine with the other notes listed, so I was excited to try Skuld:

In imp, and on wet: Pineapple vomit! WTF? I've never been so surprised by BPAL.

Near drydown: Butterscotch vomit, with something nice valiantly trying to peek out from underneath, but not succeeding.

Drydown: About 15 minutes of a woodsy, powdery smell that's quite nice, then poof! All gone.

Needless to say, no bottle for me.

Why won't the Norse gals like me?

Wet, it's overpowering, aggressive ylang ylang. Sweet and sickly. As it dries, the musks are there, but they're adding to the sweetness in a powdery way. This is very quickly turning to out-of-control potpourri.

Hell no. This just isn't for me, at all. :P

I do not like this one. In the imp I smell mint overlaying a sickly sweet smell. On me, it is grape flavored cough syrup covered in mint. I do not smell honey at all.

In my excitement over the Norns (I'm a myth geek, as well as an Ah! My Goddess fan :D), I ordered imps of all three in my last order. Tonight I tried Skuld, the first one.

In the imp and wet, this was way too sweet - it was almost sick-sweet, like a whole lot of sugary candies. Eek! But I persevered, and determined to wait it out and see if it got better.

I'm glad I did! :P It dried into a sweet, softly musky and almost floral scent, which I really like. The throw is still candied, though. I don't know if this is a bottle scent yet (I'll have to try it again), but I'll at least be keeping the imp around.

I got an imp of this with a package recieved from a seller here on the board, and was thrilled because I actually just swapped for a bottle of it unsniffed, just based on the description.

So I eagerly picked off the tape, yanked off the cap, took a big wiff....

And recoiled.

Uh-oh.

This is gonna sound nuts, but I grew up on a farm, and this smell instantly reminded me of...well, a barnyard. On a warmer fall day, just coming into winter-- after the first frost, before the first real snow. A barnyard, seriously. Full of sweaty animals mucking about, sweet feed, bedding, trampled green things clinging tenaciously to life...it's spot on enough to bring me back to my childhood, anyway. So. Weird.

It's fascinating, but alarming. I was almost afraid to put it on my skin. But I did, and that immediate sickly-sweet muskiness crept back in favor of a gentle, slightly spicy floral-honey, and my panic over what I could possibly do with a whole bottle (outside of swapping it the moment it comes) went away.

I can wear this, absolutely. I just can't put my nose to the bottle.

Edited by brit

In the imp: Fruity with undertones of musk.

Wet: Grape? A bit of sweetness.

Drydown: The grape aroma lessens and the muskiness comes into play.

Dry: Candied florals, with a touch of grape and traces of musk.

Overall: I'm not sure if this is really me, but I do like it.

Well, to be fair, I thought I was trying Skadi, and I was looking for ozone...

However I get a stone fruity honey, like honeyed plums. Good throw. Good summer scent.

Wet: A strong candied scent, like grape soda pop and hay (I can definitely see how brit got a farm note out of this!).

Drying down: calming into a sweetgrass and candied honey, still some kind of fruitiness...plum?

urg.... :P something about Skuld just isn't too fond of me, and I have to scrub it off. It's just so cloying! And I hardly even had a drop on the back of a finger. I love honey, but in Skuld it's sickly and overpowered by the other notes. It really does smell like fermenting fruit. It's too much.

Woohoo My first review of my first bpal scent eva! :P Unfortunately it's not one I'm fond of....

In the bottle: OH wow sweet, but not sugar sweet like super floral sweet. Well lets try it on.

Wet: Ugh ok this is reminding me of cheap public bathroom air freshener...not good. It's a bit powdery and there is something a bit spicy underneath.

Dry: Spicer is coming out ok it's better but it sorta reminds me of spicy baby powder...hrmm. Then it morphed and the spicy went away and it is back to bathroom smell. UGH.

I didn't know what notes were in it until I looked it up and I would have though I would like this one but it's just waaaay too sweet for me.

For the first five seconds, this smelled like a public restroom on me. Then, it turned into soft honey with a little bit of floral. Occasionally, I get a whiff of grape. I don't smell any of the musk, unfortunately. I really like this scent, but there's very little throw, and I would prefer something a little more full-bodied.

3/5

I adore BPAL's honey and this has lots of it! This blend is very sweet and in the imp, it's all honey. Shortly after applying, the ylang ylang comes out and adds a floral note to the sweetness. I am hoping that the two musks come to the forefront a bit more and I am a big fan of both Egyptian and Arabian musks and their gorgeous spiciness. After about give minutes, the spice is starting to emerge a touch more but the dominant notes seem to be the honey and ylang ylang. This is very, very sweet, almost candy-like but I enjoy sweet scents so I really like this one.

Skuld is a frimp from the Lab. Thanks guys!!!

I would never have ordered this on my own,because I don't get along well with ylang-ylang and I did not have good luck with Urd (I know that shouldn't matter . . . but).

In the imp it is quite floral and honied. I've had recent success with O, so I decide to give it a shot. After a few moments of worrying ylang-ylang, things settle down to a sweet verging on cloying scent that reminds me of fermenting fruit or maybe mead. Once the ylang-ylang dissipates, I am left with a gorgeous honey with light resins.

After it passed the home test, I put a drop in my hair and wore it to work. One of the guys at work followed me around all day flirting with me. He said "there's something different about you today. . ." :D I don't know, maybe it was the Skuld. I did smell pretty good. :P

wow...just...WOW!

I LOOOOOVE THIS!!!!!

in the bottle it is sweet and a little unidentifiably fruity.

first swipe...hmm i dont really smellmuch. needs more i think.

second swipe....oh theres the honey, but it seems pretty light hmmm

third swipe i mean SLATHER....

oh YEAH that's the ticket! it's like an explosion in a beehive...ooodles and oodles of PURE DELICIOUS HONEY!!

really, the honey is all i can detect, in glistening waves of scent every time i move my arms i catch a whiff of the divine! this is my HOLY GRAIL and it runneth over with sweet, sensual, dripping honey! i can't really catch the other notes....they just seem like the supporting actors that keep the star on her pedestal so she can be worshiped as she deserves.

great throw and one of the longest wear times yet....i put it on at about noon and it was still going strong HOURS later, in fact, i could still smell it the next morning when i got up. the 'must have big bottle' list is getting shuffled right now so this is first :-D

i absolutely adore the scent of honey and can so seldom find as true a representation as beth has brewed here. only the wonderful honey shower gel i bought at traders joes came close. after they discontinued it, i found it at the DOLLAR store and of course bought an assload......now sadly ling since used. at least i can get my honey fix with this now! :-D

this is a lovely warm compforting scent. in the bottle it's quite sweet. however, once it hits my skin the deep arabian musks come out to play, and the fruity-ness goes away almost entirley. it's a nice pick me up on cold, rainy, wet days.

rating: 6.5 out of 10