Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
phaedrine

Skuld

Ylang ylang, honey, Egyptian and Arabian musks and labdanum.

I couldn't find the description of this one while the forum was down, and now that I see that this scent has honey, which I'm learning is a less-than-good note on me. Sadness.

My little review notes before I saw the scent description.

I'm no good at telling apart notes, but to me it smelled florally but with a sweetness to it. On me the floral amped up for a few minutes, then the sweetness came out. Alas, the whole scent lingered for about 15 mintues before it was barely noticable.
Also, an hour after putting it on, when I stick my nose to my wrist, I get florals and cigarette smoke. And a sinus headache (caused by the ylang-ylang I'm sure.. jasmine and things like jasmine absolutely kill my sinuses).

But at least there was no playdough note, as there was with the other two scents I tried with honey in them. So that's good. :P

This was a frimp from the Lab, they must have psycotic powers when it comes to guessing what I'd like.

The musks love me, I don't get much honey but there's something there that just softens, probably the ylang ylang. The notes i can never pronounce just do the wildest things with my chemistry. I'm still on the fence tho, not sure I love this enough to order a bottle. I'll just hang on to the imp for now and try it again later to make up my mind.

It's wistful and lovely.

mmm.. honey and musk! i don't smell much of the ylang ylang, but there is something (i guess it's the labdanum) making it smell kind of strange. as long as the honey note stays strong, i'll hang on the imp... otherwise, it's off to the swaps.

The honey in Skuld absolutely leaped out the moment I put it on - it's all I could smell from this oil, no matter how long I let it dry down, and while I do like honey, it alone at this strength is just too sweet. Unfortunately, the other notes never did come out to cut that sweetness at all.

Bottle: Honey. Only honey, actually - like I'm sniffing one of those honey bears.

Wet: Ylang Ylang competing with the honey , but still rather sweet and foodie for me...I hope the musks step up soon...

Dry: More of the Ylang Ylang, less honey..some other odd note..labdanum, I guess. It's a resin, tho, and this is an odd sweetness..so maybe the Ylang Ylang is just turning on me. darn.

Later: The honey returned, musk has never really had any showing beyond a hint of darker notes and potential complexity. I really, truly thought this one might just work, even with the honey..the musks, ylang ylang isn't a floral I know I always have Issues with, and a resin...soo..I am sad. I think the honey accentuates the sweet of the floral to a point of cloying on me, and the musks just don't come up enough to balance that.

Frimps are marvelous things, as this is one blend I never would have tried on my own.

When I first put this on, it smelled like rose honey to me. I'm sure it's the ylang ylang adding that note to the honey, but I can't shake the impression of rose honey. After about fifteen minutes, the musks come out... and at that point I have to wash it off. The scent with the musks is perfect, perhaps my favorite of all the BPAL musk blends, but... something in it is a migraine trigger for me. It seems to defeat the purpose if I have to pop a pill every time I wear it, although some days it just might be worth it.

I wish I could wear this because I absolutely adore it, but it's sadly not to be. It joins Scherezade on my list of lovely, lovely scents that hate me.

reviewed courtesy of Quikslver's GC circle swap

avh_egc01.jpg

Skuld

first sniff: sweet...like cherry lifesavers taste. Nothing at all what I was expecting from the description.

tested wet: something turned plastic on me, I'm thinking it's the combo of the ylang ylang and honey. I smell no musk what-so-ever here.

tested dry: I start smelling a faint musk but it's overpowered by the smell of plastic goo.

conclusion: This one doesn't like me at all...I'd have to take a pass on any imp that came my way.

0/5

This smells like grape soda only not icky sweet. The musk pairs nicely with the grape scent. Based on the reviews I wasn't sure I would like this but Skuld is surprisingly wonderful! I would have never tried this if I hadn't received a frimp but I am so glad I did!!

bottle:

musk and something else…

wet:

musk, and I guess the labdanum? Hint of honey

dry:

still musky, not crazy about the labdanum. The honey and ylangylang aren't enough to compensate!

overall:

no thanks

rating: 4/10

I think this one was a generous bestowal from Scylla...

Preconceptions: none at all (except "duh, I should know about Skuld. What is it? Who is it??? " I checked after trying the fragrance.)

Put some on. SWEETNESS is kind of SHOUTING throughout the bookstore. I feel as if someone has just poured about a gallon of honey over me, but I'm not sticky.

A bit skeptical. Not sure about going around smelling like a hive.

It settles into a paler sweetness (thank heaven), with something flowerish going on that I can't figure out (ylang-ylang, it would seem, from the Lab's notes). (a relief that it stays modestly behind the Great Wall of Honey, since I have past issues with ylang-ylang. Granted, not Beth's ylang-ylang).

fades off into powdery sweetness (sort of crystallized honey on toast).

I'm not sure I want to be toast.

Editing, because try # 2 of Skuld was much different than the first round. Just grabbed it from the imp box today and kind of absentmindedly put it on (I think I was really intending to use my lovely bit of Skadi). This was the result: "hmmm, how odd, tropical sunset? from a blend named Skuld? That's one of the Norns, I'm sure--Mercury retro is destroying my short term memory today." I speculate on pineapple, apricots and something else (it's probably the elusive ylang ylang)--and, burnt sugar, like the carmelized sugar on flan. And I quite like it. Very odd.

Edited by jarvenpa

In the imp, it smelled nice and sweet. I was both happy and wary--O is the only honey blend that I've tried where I've continued to smell honey after I'd put it on.

Wet: SWEET and HONEY and it's already lasted longer than Honey Moon's honey. I also get that mysterious fruity-ness here that many others seemed to get. Not quite distinctive enough for me to say grape or berry, but definitely fruit.

Dry: Mmm...it's still nice and sweet, and there's a faint waft of a really, really sweet flower. But it doesn't stay floral. (Score for me.) Now I have to go look up which of my bottles has a touch of ylang-ylang, because it looks like that might be a flower I actually get along with.

In the bottle: sweet and fruity.

Wet: fruity and floral. Uh oh, the floral has that "funk" smell behind it that I associate with paperwhites, or some other white florals. The fruity smell reminds me of apples. This is not what I expected Skuld to smell like. This is very sweet for one of the three Norse Fates. I was expecting something more like Talvikuu, colder and darker.

Dry down: Still light and sweet, not really saying "honey" to me. I am looking for a honey scent. But this isn't it so far.

30 minutes: sweet, fresh, and appley.

Conclusion: this is very nice, but not rockn' my world. It isn't honey, which I hoped to smell like. The funk of the white flower went away. Overall this is lovely, but not me. I may or may not keep the imp. I want to try this again a few more times before I decide.

Rating 1-5, on my skin this is a 2.5-3.

When I first got into BPAL I really wanted to try Skuld because it seemed like it was terribly popular. Then I got an imp of it, eagerly took a sniff, and then wondered what everyone thought was so great about it. Poor ickle Skuld, shunned to the back of the imp box.

I got the imp out to try it again as part of the GC circular swap, and now I see what all the fuss was about. This really does smell wonderful. Charming and bright, warm and soothing. Pretty but not overly feminine. This doesn't smell like perfume, it doesn't smell like flowers, it doesn't smell like fruit -- if someone else was wearing this, I would definitely ask her what it was. You wouldn't expect a person to smell like this. It's unusual and very intriguing.

This one's a crap-shoot (imp-shoot?)--I tend to like honey and most musks, but ylang ylang is not really a favorite (though not as evil as jasmine). Skuld is a pretty rich amber color in the vial. In the imp, it smells much like O--that lovely, sexy honey note.

On me, it smells like...O with a side of bubblegum. Ylang, like lotus, registers as way too sticky-sweet on me. I can see this being pretty on someone else, but I have a nice bottle of O and no need for competition. If Skuld is "Being", then on me it's "Being a trampy schoolgirl." :P

Skuld - I would have never guessed that I would like this scent. If someone hadn’t frimped it to me, I probably would have never tried it. When I received it as a frimp, I couldn’t remember anything about it, so I tried some on, and was instantly surprised by how fruity it smelled – the fresh scent of pomegranates and plums. I was even more surprised when I looked up the Lab description and discovered it was chock full of notes that don’t normally appeal to me – Ylang ylang, honey, musks and labdanum. There was no reason it should smell so fruity on my skin, but it does, and I’m not going to complain. I like it and will keep using it.

In the imp: A sweet, fruity perfume blend. Ylang ylang often has a fruity smell to me, along the lines of Welch's white grape juice. It's dominant in this blend in the imp.

Wet: At first application, the ylang ylang is still dominant, but I can smell a hint of salty-tangy musk underneath. We'll see how these develop.

Early dry down: This is turning into grape Kool-Aide. It reminds me of Tintagel, but without the smoky notes that make that so interesting. This is just fruity and almost cloyingly sweet.

Late dry down: Still very sweet and grape-flavoring scented. However, after about an hour, the musks finally made themselves known a little bit. They are overwhelmed by the honey and ylang ylang, but they lurk under the surface, all salty and sweaty. I think that this would be a gorgeous blend on someone on whom ylang ylang doesn't have a tendency to go quite this sweet. (It works in Hetaerai on me because of the patchouli, but otherwise I just end up smelling like Kool-Aid or Nehi with it.) It's just a tad too sweet.

Procured: Frimp

In Imp: Sweet (cherries?) and a little astringent.

On Skin, Wet: Initially sweet and a little green, then becomes a little bitter smelling

On Skin, Dry: Strawberries and linen.

Will be keeping this imp.

Well what can I say? This is absolutely gorgeous!

It seems to me by other peoples reviews, that this is a scent that's gonna love ya or hate ya. IT LOVES ME!!!!!

A colleague of mine did try it also and it smelled like urine on her (So weird)

On me though..........

At first the ylang ylang is the most predominant note with the honey behind. Sooo nice. Like a honeyed flower. But after about 15 minutes it turns into such a comforting smell it's unbeleivable. It's like a lovely feathery soft, honey musk. I can't believe it smelled so horrible on my friend. It's almost edible to me.

I can't understand how some people got a grape scent from this, it's crazy hehe! Maybe I'm the odd one out.

Isn't body chemistry a funny thing?

X X X X

Edited by ouch!

In the vial: musky, exotic honey! Mmm!

On the skin: I like the smell of honey, but this is a "wild" type of honey. Very deep with the musk, the tinge of ylang ylang honestly doesn't bother me (has been known to) and honestly I get a bit of fig in this (?) but overall a good honey scent. Very much a keeper!

You do kind of imagine the Norsemen with Skuld. :P

Edited by bat

Imp: This is sweet like a fruit, kinda like an apple but not quite. It's oddly comforting. The musks seem more herbal to me pleasantly.

Wet: This morphs into something even fruitier on my skin! It seems like something turned a little flat and plasticy on my skin. This is STRONG now!

Dry: This is a spicy apple-type scent but a bit more grownup.

Category: Lightly-spice fruit

Rating: 4/5; beautiful how some of these notes turn into a cider-type drink

Overall: Despite my dislike of apple scent, the similarity is quite fine with me, though. It would be a GREAT fall scent and I would love to wear it. Then again, I love the norse myths and would anyways.

In the bottle: Sweetness, almost like a fruit syrup.

On me: Thankfully I don't get the grape soda/grape Jolly Rancher whiff. I get more of a spicy honey with a faint jasmine-y partner. It's very sweet, not in character for me, but didn't burn in my nose like Smut-- the other 'sweet' one I took a risk on-- did (I was sad.) It does manage to be sensual, but the honey-sweetness makes it seem very innocent. I could do with more musk to balance the sweetness. But then it wouldn't be Skuld, I guess. (Later I notice the ylang ylang smell is nearly gone and I have a gentle sort of honey musk. Very simple. I didn't think I'd like this, and it proved me wrong, so long as I can last through the initial application.)

oh dear...this SOOOO did NOT work on me.

imp: sweet and sour flowers (interesting)

wet: nasty, sour, rotten flowers!!!! BLE!

dry: it just keeps getting worse with every minute.

I am really bummed about this one because honey and ylang-ylang have been good to me in other blends. Maybe it is the combo of those with the 2 musks (another blend with Arabian musk did bad things on me) and the labdanum?

Oh well.

From application to drydown, Skuld is sexy delicious honey with just a little musk. It is a peculiar take on honey, but I mean that in a good way. It isn't a foody scent at all. Everything is so well blended in this oil that unless you're attempting to sniff out the notes, the impression it leaves is of a very exotic and unique scent. Very cool! It's a little intense to be worn day after day but it's an excellent scent nonetheless.

I think Skuld would make a good alternative to O for those who feel the latter smells too much like sweat.

I do like all the ingredients in this one, but for some reason, the scent just doesn't agree with me. It turns into this sticky sweet, slightly fruity concotion reminescent of Vicks cough syrup. I would have sworn there was clove in there, I'm not sure which of the components is creating this effect. Definitely not my thing, but the hubbie loves it.

SKULD

Frimps are wonderful indeed! This is one I would never have tried on my own.

First on, this is mostly honey, sweet and warm, a little boozy like mead. Lovely. I get a hint of grapes as well, strange.

The grapes go away and it's almost pure honey with a hint of something floral which I'm guessing is Ylang Ylang.

I don't detect much else, but I love it just the way it is. Sweet honey with a bit of floral. Mmmm.

ETA: Strong throw, but not much staying power.

Edited by nannan45