Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Northernminx

La Belle au Bois Dormant

The Sleeping Beauty. A gentle, lovely scent, slightly soporific, but beautiful in its quiet repose. Plumeria and white pear, Damascus rose, tuberose, magnolia and evening dew.

Pear, rose, and plumeria. It starts off very light, and after about 15 minutes, all I can smell is the rose. :P Well, at least it didn't go soapy!

Edited by Babylon

In the imp: rose, not subtle but soft. What I call a 'juicy' rose.

Wet on me: rose and plumeria (though it's making me think of lily of the valley.)

Dry on me: The pear comes out -- scrumptious! The combination of pear and plumeria is reminding me of Thalia, but where Thalia smelled too sophisticated to me the addition of rose to this blend makes it seem younger and more girlish. La Belle suits me better than Thalia did.

As time passes, this blend gets sharper; probably the magnolia. Magnolias have always smelled a little lemony to me.

I do like the initial drydown, but I'm not too happy about the magnolia taking over -- I liked this better when it was a soft rose-and-plumeria. Overall, not bad. I'll have to think about it.

Imp: Moon Rose, but fruity and a little floral. They both have what I'm calling "BPAL Evening Dew" in them, which I do enjoy, but my skin amps to hell and back.

Wet: BPAL Evening Dew, white musk (I know it's not in it, but whatever), fruit (peach/pearish), and florals. I'm thinking plumeria. It's very lovely.

Dry: BPAL Evening Dew. DO NOT WANT, especially when Moon Rose does it better.

This is for a scent locket, or, even better, it would be a very cooling body spray for summertime. I'll save it for next spring and summer, when I'll be 21 and can buy Everclear.

:P

This is a beautiful, light scent. I found that with a mix of carrier oil (jojoba), I applied all over and could barely smell it within a few minutes, which made me sad.

Wet: pear, tuberose, and magnolia. Very floral and fruity, very summery and nice.

On skin: out comes the rose and the magnolia pops up like a little bloom, saying hello!

Drydown: This did not last on me AT all, but I love it, so I will consider buying a big bottle in the future. On my list that perpetually elongates weekly!!!

first sniff: There's something in here that reminds my of my non-acetone nail polish remover. :P But I do get the rose, and a bit of plumeria.

wet: Rose, plumeria, a watery sweetness (the tuberose & dew?)...and nail polish remover.

dry: Whatever reminds me of the nail polish remover is still there. Drat! I really wanted to like this one. It's a defective nose, I guess? :D

In bottle/imp: Very sweet and almost syrupy pear with plumeria and tuberose.

Immediately on skin: The plumeria and tuberose are taking center stage… the pear is adding an intense sweet note to it. The rose is peeking through, but in a very subtle way.

After a few minutes: This is a very strong and slightly sweet floral. I love the plumeria, and it blends beautifully with the pear. The rose is not overpowering and the tuberose adds an interesting scent to the blend. It’s very pretty.

Later on: This is a very floral blend with the sweet pear adding a pretty fruit note to it. The floral scents blend nicely together and I can pick out each one, but no one note stands out above the rest.

I wish I had more to say about this one, but rose really tends to dominate on me and so this blend ends up being rose + pear. A really nice combo and one that I am sure smells lovely on many people. Just not me. It's very heady rose on my skin with a touch of pear sweetness. If you like rose, definitely try this though it's an interesting take on a rose blend!

In the bottle: Pear and plumeria. This makes me happy because trips to Hawaii have left me with a love of the flower. And pear always smells nice.

Wet on skin: More pear!

Overall, a soft, languid floral blend that is heartbreakingly pretty. This remains one of my favorite flower scents of Beth's.

LA BELLE AU BOIS DORMANT

I get mostly plumeria, pear, and rose in a beautiful triplicate. This is feminine and intoxicating but it isn't overwhelmingly strong. The tuberose lends a beautiful, powdery quality to this. I find this to be very sweet and calm—a fitting expression for the Sleeping Beauty.

ADDED May 6:

This has a ghostly, watery quality that lends itself to the pear and plumeria. The plumeria is quite prominent, heady, sweet. The tuberose peeks in for a bit and I love the way it has a dusky, soft, almost waxy petal scent. This is very feminine and gentle.

imp: sweet, yummy pear with alight hint of rose.

wet: of well. the rose has turned this to cheap guest soap on my skin.

dry: what!? the rose vanished! this leaves the most lovely soft pear scent! i'm so torn, that wet phase is awful but the dry phase is lovely!

Strangely this one doesn't work on me, and I kinda thought it might. It has floral notes I sometimes like, and I pretty much always like pear. But the plumeria definitely seems the strongest in this scent, and that's a flower I don't get along with very well. The pear and the "evening dew" are nice and I enjoy those, but the floral notes are just too strong for me personally.

I expected this to smell a little different than it actually does.

I've learned that plumeria can be hit or miss on me, and this blend is a miss.

It's bright, clean, and fruity, but it's just not working. It's a little too fresh for my taste, but I can see how other people would love it as a perfume. It's okaaay, but it won't get any love from me.

This is the first BPAL with pear in it that didn't turn into a 5mL consideration. Oh well, onto the next one!

2.5 out of 5

In bottle: Musky, sort of tangy, I think it's the pear and rose mix

Wet: Pear! Something seems a little chemically. I think it's the magnolia that isn't sitting well on my skin. Bleh. Kind of soapy. The tangy chemical scent is dying down to some flowers.

Dry: This is so much prettier in the dry down. It's very very feminine, kind of watery and more fruity than floral. This is a nice spring scent. A little romantic, a little whimsical. I have to be careful about the soapiness though. Kind of lingers a while. Don't think I'll be getting a 5ml of this sleeping beauty.

In Imp: Plumeria and pear.

Wet: Almost immediately turns into screaming roses. STRONG screaming roses.

Initial Drydown: Rose. Possibly even tuberose. It’s almost enough to give me a headache, so I’m hoping the headache stops at some point!

Dry: After about 45 minutes, the rose calms *way* down and I end up smelling nicely like wet plumeria. This is nice enough to make me think it’s worth waiting through the 45 minutes of screaming roses.

Throw: Very light once the screaming roses quiet down. But quite lovely.

Overall: Will keep the imp. Not sure about a bottle right now.

In the vial La Belle seems a bit muskier than the sweetness that comes out on my skin. On my skin there is the slightest breeze of florals, but it's primarily a juicy pear. It is truly a beautiful scent, definitely a summery one. But she doesn't last very long on me.

Wet: Oh wow. lots of florals. I have no idea which ones are jumping out more

Dry down: I can definitely smell the rose and plumeria. This is REALLY pretty!

Dry: This dried down and is still a lovely floral. Definitely a keeper.

8 out of 10

Source: Imp from the Lab

This has a light, sparkling undercurrent to it that reminds me in some ways of La Vita Nuova. Although rose scents usually amp up on my skin, the rose in this remains light, and the pear and plumeria appear more strongly on my skin after drydown.

This is really a lovely, light floral scent, but it only has low throw and low wear on my skin, so I probably won't spring for a bottle. If you like florals, though, you'll probably really enjoy this one!

These are all notes I love, and this starts out promisingly sweet and fruity without being cloying, but ultimately it gets kind of syrupy - maybe the plumeria? Keeping my imp, but I don't think I'll want more.

lovely!

i don't like fruity scents so was afraid i wouldn't like this one but am not really picking up the fruity notes.

they are adding a bit of sweetness to the florals, but that's about it.

overall, a slightly sweet and floral scent.

light, not at all overpowering.

springy and uplifting.

La Belle au Bois Dormant is very sweet and light on my skin, and at first I wasn't sure I'd even gotten enough on. I can smell the magnolia predominantly, and then the roses, and just now I got a good whiff of the pear. I wore a lot of magnolia in high school, but I might have grown out of that particular flower. I like this scent and I think it is exactly something Aurora might have worn, but it might be too innocent for me. I'm hardly waiting to be woken with a kiss, after all!

In the bottle: Slightly sweet-fruity, white, clean, feminine floral. A bit heady.

Wet: More floral, less sweet, a bit soapier. Yes, I have nailed it down now - tuberose = soap on me. It's not unacceptably soapy, though. I can pick out the pear, I think. The rose and magnolia are pretty overwhelming.

Dry: I can't smell any fruit any more. The magnolia has died down alot, so I'm getting more of the rose, which I love, but also more of the soapy-tuberose.

Summary: Soapy magnolia and rose. I think magnolia is too heady for me. And something in this blend is making my skin itch. It was delightful in the bottle, what a shame. Not great throw, surprisingly.

I got this as a frimp from my first order. I've been sick for the past week and when I tried to sniff this past Monday to do a review my sniffer was all off. :P Finally I was able to properly sniff and collect my thoughts on this.

Imp: Sweet. Fruit sweet but not sugary sweet thank ged. And it's not cloying either. Tiny hint of sharp underneath it all. Perhaps the pear?

Wet on me: Still the same but now Lilac? Smells like an old lilcal scent my one grandmother had that I remember. This is light and lovely when wet on my wrist.

Drydown: There is a softening of the sharpness and the sweet. Still a gentle and delicate flower scent that reminds me of a summer twilight evening at my other grandmothers and now I'm half expecting to see faeries and fireflies dancing and twinkling about my cube.

Dry: Now it's just a faint teast of a scent. very pretty. Not too much throw on me :D I wish it were stronger and would stay stronger on me a little longer.

All together it's a lovely lovely scent. Not one I might have highlighted in my new BPAL binder to try but now I'm thinking I might just need to get a bottle of this.

Well done!

Coldie

In the imp: A very light scent, both floral and fruity

This is a very clean, light scent. It goes a bit soapy on me though, probably from the rose. It's pretty, and very appropriate for Sleeping Beauty, but not for me :P.