Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Northernminx

La Belle au Bois Dormant

The Sleeping Beauty. A gentle, lovely scent, slightly soporific, but beautiful in its quiet repose. Plumeria and white pear, Damascus rose, tuberose, magnolia and evening dew.

Off the bat, I thought this had tea rose in it. There's a non-muted rose that my senses are screaming about. However, the pear comes out pretty quickly. Fruity girly feminine clean rose! Not bad. Edited by Shollin

A fruity floral. The florals take over quite quickly. These are the florals that are very sneeze inducing for me...

a beautiful, sweet floral; i couldn't pick any single notes out other than rose, &not having read the description beforehand i was unsure of what else i was even supposed to be smelling, but la belle is lovely, calm, innocent.

sadly, it turns unpleasant on me, after too long. :( i'm not sure what it is in this that dislikes me, but it dislikes me enough to put this one in the swaps pile. le sigh . . .

Florals and sweet fragrances are usually iffy on me. They're either too cloying or they dry to a powdery "grandmotherly" scent. La Belle? That is not the case at all! It's smells nice and clean and fresh on me. Two thumbs up! Now to try to figure out where to find more of it! *grin*

La Belle au Bois Dormant

For some reason I'm smelling light wood and apples. It's got a powder quality to it, too, but in a good way. Must be very well blended, because I can't pick out any of the notes. Not even the tuberose. It all comes together nicely. This is a very girly, fresh and fruity scent.

La Belle au Bois Dormant

Floral! This is a crisp, tart floral blend with a bit of fruit from the pear. (My SO said it smelled like sour apple from a few feet away.) I'm not familiar with all the floral notes individually, but my first thought was something like a mix of gardenia and jasmine (minus the problems my skin has with jasmine). It's okay, but too strongly floral and cloying for my tastes.

Really delicate plumeria with a soapy undertone. It's fresh in a way that doesn't feel overly pristine or sterile. The mixture of florals in the background is so watery and faded, like everything is a transparent pink. I can barely detect the rose in here, and that's one of my favorite floral notes. This is one of the most restrained rose scents I've ever worn. I love the addition of the pear so that it has the sweetness of a mild fruit.

From the moment I put this on it's as if I've already been wearing it for a few hours. It really blends into my skin well. This is just really lovely and romantic.

This was a frimp. A very fortuitous frimp! I love this scent, which comes as a bit of a surprise for me because I thought it would be too sweetly floral, but it's much more "mature" on me (but not old-maidish). It's really great.

In the imp: I could barely smell it. Faint and a bit soapy.

Wet on skin: OMG JASMINE! It dialed down almost instantly. Nice!

Drydown: Very floral but not overwhelming. Pretty.

Hours later: Like evening blooms and an undertone of greenery. Beautiful and feminine.

Wow wow wow. I love this. I will try it again before committing to a vial (a few scents I've tried recently have changed dramatically only days later), but this will be a winner - I just know it!

Edited by Sionann

Wet: Pear! And Tuberose! Very floral with a touch of sweet fruit

Drydown: More floral coming through — plumeria and rose

Dry: light, sweet floral with my favorite notes. Nicely blended.

This one hung around for a while, and it maintained it's light floral sweetness throughout.

:wub2: La Belle au Bois Dormant is absolutely stunning. This is such an odd blend, it has so many layers. I can pick out the plumeria throughout, but all the other notes seem to shift and turn, and I can't place them. I don't get any rose at all- and for me that's a good thing. At first, this smells sharp and greenish, maybe as a result of the magnolia. In the bottle, the sharpness is predominant. After wearing for a little while, though, especially in warm weather, this perfume does an about-face (on me, anyway), and becomes a dewy, light musk with the sweetness of fruit, and the plumeria wafts out a little, positively lovely.

Oddly enough, I get a lot of compliments from men on this one. I say oddly, because in my experience, men seem to like vanilla or sweeter fruits or heavy musk/spices and not the light florals. For some reason, though, guys seem to prefer this one on me.

I have narcolepsy, so the name of this perfume is fitting for me, it makes me laugh. It wears well through all of my naps, and has a decent throw. Potent, for being such a light scent! I think it induces sweet dreams. This was a must-have, I've almost used my entire bottle. A good one to wear to bed.

In The Imp: Sweet, sweet floral with pear. Mmmmm...

Immediate Application: The first phase of this smells a lot like Thalia to me. (Not a complaint - I like Thalia.) I'm pretty sure it's the way the plumeria and pear interact with each other. It's tart, more "wakey, wakey!" than "ZzZzZz..."

30-45 Minutes Later: Gets sweeter and more languid on the dry-down. Now I can see (smell?) the Sleeping Beauty associations.

Verdict: I like it. Want a 5ml - this could easily be an everyday blend.

In the vial: Oh yeah, there's quite a bit of pear, and I also get the plumeria. This has some similarities to "Thalia" in the vial, only with more florals where "Thalia" has the champagne.

On: I love the pear/plumeria background, but on the top, there's a note that is apparently trying to veer off into soap. So far, a pleasant, slightly bitter edge is keeping it in check, but I'm fearing it might vanish upon drydown - and then there's the disastrous relationship roses and I tend to have...

Later: The pear and plumeria are still there, but the remainder has turned a bit dusty. While it didn't turn into rosy soap hell, this is not a good scent for me, I think.

Ugh, this one is a definite miss on me, at least in the early stages. It's strange, because all of the notes appeal to me, but they do something nasty when they're all bunched up together in one scent. It's the interaction of the tuberose, gardenia, plumeria and rose that is just going "YUEERRRRRKK!" on me. I swear I get an indolic note when I first put it on, something smells bathroom-y.

It does get better with time. The rose and most of the florals die off a bit and I'm left with a pear note that's nice, but it's not nice enough to suffer through the opening phases. Ah well, glad to have tried the frimp!

In the Imp: A juicy fruit and floral scent. Getting a big whiff of friendly plumeria.

Wet: Fresh pear and plumeria, with a brush of magnolia. Quite refreshing for a floral scent. This is innocent and playful - but in a clever way, not the silly mischievious nature of a little girl, but the patient fun of a young woman. Impressive in that it's not very stereotypical. It seems very balanced to me, well blended.

Dry: I really am reminded of a princess by this. A woman you could respect not just because she was born or married into royalty, but because she has a good head on her shoulders. Yet she's still obviously been raised amongst the well-to-do, and has a delicacy about her. Pretty scent.

Overall: A great complex and juicy floral. Unique and makes a quiet statement.

Sweet florals mingle with dew and pear. It's lush, wet & crisp - yet soft and delicate and very pretty. The sweetness from the pear and plumeria are not overwhelming, and yet there is a presence of each flower but it is still understated.

Opens as a fresh, watery pear, very delicate, but the drydown is pure floral soap. Nice soap, but still soap!

This was a frimp from the Lab. Very nice, since it had been on my must try list.

In the imp -- pear, dewy magnolia, rose

Wet --uh oh, the magnolia and pear combine to give me the impression of a dirty diaper. Actually, it's a dead ringer for baby lotion, which puts me in mind of dirty diapers.

Dry down -- the rose comes out and I suspect we're going to end up soapy, like so many of these light rose blends do on me. I can't make out any individual pear note or tuberose for that matter This is what Endymion does on me, the rose outweighs the pear.

Dry -- The pear seems to be keeping any soapy tendencies in check. It's a light fruity rose. Very pretty.

It ends up so close to Endymion on me that I don't see the need to have both. I'll keep the imp, I expect, if I can weather that wet phase.

Edited by Gateau

I am very excited to try this one. B&B works plumeria lotion was my favorite so if it smells anything like that I'll love it. I am also a big fan of tuberose so here goes;

In imp: Very pretty. Delicate, soft and lovely. I can smell the creamy smooth sweetness of the plumeria and that makes me very happy. :D

On wet: Very flowery. Kind of watery too. There is something about it that kind of reminds me of a dollar store I went to as a teen. Something smells very sharp and citrusy.

Dry: This smells pretty good. It kind of reminds me of a good smelling laundry detergent. It's very crisp and sharp yet soft and flowery as well. I like it but it's too reminiscent of fabric softener to me so I'll probably swap it.

In the imp- A lightly floral pear, refreshing.

Wet- Tuberose and Plumeria come to the front. Slightly dusty.

Dry- Dusty Plumeria.

5 minutes- Faint dusty plumeria and other floral notes. Reminds me of the lingering scent of a book pressed flower.

The pear in this is absolutely amazing. It's mouth-watering juicy that lifts the spirits. The florals, however, turn into a mix of wildflower and 'dried-and-hung-in-bathroom' smell on me. Very sad. I'm afraid this one is a pass.

I'm one of those odd people for whom this smells horrific right out of the bottle. I bit the bullet, though, and tried it... to get this strong reminder of anise. And a touch of bathroom cleaner. Really medicinal, slightly like a modern version of smelling salts. Luckily, it went straight to powder after the first half hour.

La Belle au Bois Dormant starts out with sweet fruity pear and then something else which is a little sharp - perhaps this is tuberose? As it dries the sharpness fades a bit and it is all pear and roses - its soft and lovely. I wanted to smell the Magnolia in this, but it's overshadowed by the other notes. Overall, I like this and find it suitable as an everyday perfume, it's versatile and I think it can be worn at anytime throughout the day or year.

In imp: floral, with a crisp pear note. The florals are quite well-blended, I can't really tell them apart.

Wet on skin: this time I can pick out magnolia and plumeria from the florals. This is a heady combination, sliding more towards the heavy side for me, although thankfully it smoothes out a little as it dries. The rose seems to be gearing up to get powdery, we'll see. Even with the headiness of the flowers, I'd categorize this as a light scent, elegant--but that may be because I'm not getting a lot of throw from this.

Dry: amazingly, the rose powder isn't overwhelming the scent, but I suspect it has disappeared and is powdery in some dark corner--I can't really smell any rose here. It's a faint, somewhat elegant floral, white and quite fleeting. Definitely magnolias and plumerias for me.

Verdict: pretty as it is, but not too much of a fan of magnolia and plumeria for this to be a keeper.