Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Seajewel

Kon Kurabe Tama No Ase

For me, foody to start with the buttercream but veers straight into cinnamon and clove territory, and slight pistachio nutmeat in the dry down.  Very excellent if you’re a spice gourmand lover.  

Wet on me this is an aggressive sweet almond and basically nothing else. Once it dries down the spices come out, and a little bit of vague non-almond nuttiness. Eventually it settles into a nice, fairly simple creamy spice. A good, fairly unobtrusive sort of scent. 

Wow I get cinnamon and clove with vanilla custard and it’s sexy and delicious. I don’t get the Pistashio or Marzipan nutty notes but hoping they’ll come out more later on. Regardless I love the scent either way. Great throw and staying power too. 💗

OK so I'm expecting a cinnamon clove blowout but this is a foodie delight. The obvious two spicy suspects do die down a little as they dry down a little... custard is a good way to describe... faint green cardamom puddingy.... there's a lot of creamy richness rounding this out. Verdict: absolutely yum

I tested this several days ago and then immediately had to make it my scent of the day because it is so wonderful.

This is spice-infused, creamy marzipan buttercream pistachio milk custard goodness. It's more spice than I was anticipating, but there's no cinnabomb here. I get more clove than cinnamon, actually! The marzipan, pistachio milk (which features a true pistachio note, not an extract), and buttercream are the strongest notes when first applied, but the marzipan doesn't last as long as the other creamy notes, and the spices become more noticeable with wear. It smells absolutely delicious, and I want to gnaw my arm.

Of the five Lupers that I blind bottled, this one is my favorite! Definitely one for gourmand lovers. :wub2: 

Super sweet marzipan pistachio wet. Presto chango 5 minutes after application it almost seems an entirely different oil.   Sweet fades to savory vanilla custard, very spice forward..  I wouldn't have immediately placed the cinnamon or clove had I not known they were there, very subtle. My brain is actually conveying nutmeg and cardamom interestingly since neither is listed. (Happily No cinnamon 🔥 on my skin either as sometimes can happen.)   Medium throw and wear. this is a cozy creamy  kitchen spice gourmand for me. ( really making me crave some creme brulee I'll tell ya that. )

sweet, spicy marzipan when first applied, the nuts blushing cherry-ish just briefly before settling into warm creamy nuttiness that tempers the prickly spice.

for a while, it's a very yummy spiced nutmilk custard. i would eat such a giant bowl of this, just saying! 

(it reminded me of something in this stage, and it took me a while to pinpoint it: pickled imp! without the pine of course, but with the same delicious vanilla/cinnamon/clove action going on.)

after a while, it unfortunately falls a bit flat on my skin, with the nuttiness going a bit stale and spices that seem to have sailed past their best-by date ages ago. but that is 100% a skin chemistry thing for me. i would definitely still recommend this to anyone looking for a creamy, spicy, gourmet treat. 

Pure gourmand - smells like sweet spice cake. This smells very realistic, like actual cake. I get some marzipan too, and some cream. Maybe pistachio? I can see it since I know it's there but I don't know if I'd pick it out otherwise. Low throw but absolutely delicious. The spices make it wearable and not just a sugar bomb. There's a clear batter aspect to this. The cinnamon is amping up slightly as it dries down. Here's the clove now - the cake and cream has receded. The clove actually keeps the cinnamon in check nicely. Overall this is really pleasant - the spices are strongest when dry, but not overpowering and still sweetened. 

So... My experience was fairly similar to the other reviews on first application, sweet, pleasant, nutty

Background -- I admittedly was stepping out of my comfort zone, since I find marzipan, pistachio milk, and vanillas delightful, and have enjoyed other darker BPAL blends featuring clove and cinnamon, but knew there was a chance that it might be too sweet or the blend might not be my thing.

I did not care for the scent after it's initial application -- which was reminiscent of a Monin macadamia syrup (which I love). The fragrance settles on my skin as a sweet flat cinnamon+clove scent which reminds me of Trader Joe's cinnamon brooms and clove in potpourri. I'm not sure if it's skin chemistry or my super fussiness around clove and cinnamon, but I'm rather lukewarm/cold fish on this one.

Edited by Supertrooper Omni

Spicy custard. The clove, followed closely by custard, is the strongest note on me. I can tell there's cinnamon, vanilla, and pistachio, but they're in the background. As the scent wears, I just barely get whiffs of the marzipan, making the custard slightly more cake like with time. Overall, a spicy, warm, foodie custard scent. Pleasant, but I had hoped the other notes would come out more.

UPDATE 6/6/2023: Stupid skin chemistry changes. *SIGH* So this is now CLOVE ALL CAPS for a solid two hours before it fades into a vague, kinda nutty vanilla for an hour and then disappears. What a drag.

Original Review

In the Bottle: Smooth, creamy custard, lightly sweet and spiced.

Wet: Yep. That's custard. The kinda custard where the vanilla is taken for granted but much would be lost without it. The spices are blooming into an obvious clove and a hint of cinnamon.

Dry: Clove. A lightly sweet and pleasant clove, but almost exclusively clove. A teeeeeeensy bit of cinnamon. The other notes are on vacation.

I don't have a clove-forward perfume, so even though this isn't what I was expecting, it fills a hole in my collection. And since it took months before Almond Blossom went from a ghost's breath of almondyness to the long-lived realistic marzipan powerhouse that it is now, I will hold out hope for a future of clove-spiced marzipan. Mayhaps even the pistachio will show up!

Edited by Tamarinda
Update

A sweet, foodie scent, like a creamy pistachio custard/flan sprinkled with cinnamon. The creamy, nutty, and spicy notes are well balanced. If you’re cinnamon-averse, it is pretty strong in this blend. I don’t really get “marzipan” or “buttercream”, or “clove” for that matter, but that’s just me.

A little cherry/almond extract in the vial, but I mostly smell the cinnamon and sweet buttercream once applied.  Buttercream frosting dusted with sharp, dry cinnamon.  Cinnamon usually amps up on my skin, though.

This makes me want to curl up in a cabin in the snow with a delicious spiced pudding. The notes that win out in this creamy, spiced melange are the marzipan and cinnamon. It's very creamy though, which softens the almond a bit, and I can pick out the clove as well. It stays strong and more or less the same for hours, but as it fades I get more pistachio and vanilla.