Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
amunnefret

Spellbound

Perfectly enchanting! An irresistibly sexual, utterly rapturous blend of three roses, radiant amber, and sensual red musk.

this scent is definately a winter scent. its a nice strong musk with a feminine tone to it. i liked it a lot but not buying a bottle of it.

in the bottle-you smell a perfect blend of the musk and floral
applied - with my chemistry i could smell a lot more musk than floral
wet- the floral was a bit more faint and the musk was a lot more pronounced

Hm. This is a rose scent I could wear. Must be the amber and musk keeping the flowers from getting too cloying.

In the bottle:

Roses? Really? This smells a lot like Hunger or Snake Oil.

Wet:

Major powdery amber. Now I smell a little bit of floral. Totally different on the skin than in the imp.

Dry down:

Warm powder amber. It clings close to the skin. Hint of spice, hint of rose, hint of sweetness.

Final thoughts:

Eh, it's fine. Given the limited throw, it's nothing special.

There's definitely something Snake Oilesque in here...must be the red musk. On my skin, the roses really take a back seat to everything else, coming out as sort of a generic perfumey floral rose. It's ok, but it reminds me of something weird that I can't quite place...like a New Age shop, or something. Overall, probably not for me. I'm starting to learn I prefer my roses fresh.

In the imp: florals and musk

Wet: Holy red musk all red musk all the time

Dry:Musk and roses.

It's actually quite nice now. Will have to try again to see if its a regular issue with the red musk amping in this.

The roses initially scared me away from this blend. I'm the type who really doesn't like floral or rose-y fragrances. But so many people recommended it, and it's gotten so many good reviews, I decided to give it a whirl. And all I can say is, wow! Red musk is a note I can always depend on to bloom on my skin, and it does that here. But I never would have guessed the addition of roses and amber would make this so much better, so much richer. This is a deep, rich, strong (yet soft -- how does it do that?), powdery sort of musk with a light rose undertone. It's delightfully similar to one of my favorites, Scherezade, but where Scherezade is incensey and soapy, Spellbound is softly floral and powdery/sexy, like a courtesan's dressing table. For those of you who are into other niche perfumers, this strikes me as very similar to Lorenzo Villoresi Musk. Anybody who likes musk blends, or blends that have rose in them but don't scream "ROSE!" should try this. I'll be ordering a bottle soon, as I think this will be a perfect scent for summer nights.

In the imp Can smell rose and the red musk. Not too sure about this. I love amber and rose, but I really don't like musk. But it seems to fit here. I have to try it on my skin. Oh, and I love the color, deep mahogany. Most of my other favorite oils are mostly clear or light yellow, but this is dark. Very unlike something I normally like.

Wet: Lovely! Sexy, soft. The amber is there!

Dry: Beautiful! Not what I expected. Smells a bit like Brisingamen, except..redder. It's lighter, probably from the rose.

Overall: I love this! It's just a great blend. Turns a bit powdery, as amber and rose do, but I love that! It's sexy, light, amazing throw. 12 hours later I can still smell it. Probably the longest smelling oil I've tried yet (and was able to sit through without washing it out :) ) Bit bottle for me!!

Spellbound is amazing on my skin; the rose is a full, moist, sexy bloom. Sweet and salty. Luscious. Heady. Tantalizing.

This reminds me sooo much of something else? I think I traded away my Sherezade, so can't compare them.

Plain amber normally doesn't do well on me, turning sour and ick, but this one seems to be doing well. It's a quick fade, the potency seems to have shot its proverbial wad in the first hour, but the vestiges are sensual.

Bottle: Red rose and red musk.

Wet: Strong, peppery red musk and a wee touch of rose.

Dry: The red musk dominates which I am okay with. This is very sensual and sexy and the rose is neatly reigned in by the amber and musk. I love the warm, rose petal quality neatly tempered by the heavier, more velvety elements. This is very robust, feminine and exceedingly gorgeous.

Throw: Moderate.

Overall: I don't know if I can wear this at this particular point in time (it being summer and all) but this is going to be drop dead gorgeous after it has a few months to settle down for the fall.

Inside the bottle, it's bitter rose.

Wet on my skin, strong rose and red musk.

This dries down to mainly red musk with faint rose. I never picked up the amber on my skin, but this bottle is brand new from the lab and I think it needs to mellow and age for a few months.

WHAT?!?!?!

No.

Way.

A rose blend that......works.......on me?

And not just one, but THREE roses?

:thud:

Rose is at the top of my list of hated blends. But when I put on Spellbound this morning, I was digging the earthy awesomeness. The oil is dark and thick - the color of cola.

Now that I know there is rose in here, I can identify it. But the amber wins the battle, I guess, and the rose is pushed to a subtle floral in the background on me. Of course, now I'm afraid that, as the day goes on, it's going to suddenly amp on me, but for now it's still this earthy, musky, sexy blend. It's a scent I would wear with some vintage lingerie...and nothing else.

Spellbound:

In Bottle: Floral-spicy. It smells "perfumey" but in a pleasant way. The red musk is just a pleasant sweet hint and not overwhelming.

Wet: Very similar to the bottle. Spicy floral, and sweetness of red musk. Still not too overwhelming on the red musk.

Dry: The red musk leaps out a little more strongly on the dry-down. A little too strong for me. But if one likes red musk this is a lovely, perfumey scent.

Overall: Strong on the red musk for me.

thank you, Labbies, for sending me this frimp! how have i never tried this? since i got it in the mail i've had Dan Hartman's "I Can Dream About You" playing in my head, though. ("...you know you've got me spellbound, what else can I do?" ... or something to that effect)

but this.... this is a gorgeous Smutty Rose!

yes, all the fantastic Smut... with an eensy bit of the BPAL rose i love. ♥

Oooo, what a dark oil! In the imp I really get all three of the notes-rose, red musk, and amber. Amber worries me a lot because it tends to go powdery on me, and both rose and red musk are kind of hit or miss...

Hmm...this is VERY red musky on me...I know some people really adore red musk, but it' s just not my favorite. 75% red musk, 20% rose, and 5% amber, though as it dries, the rose takes up a larger and larger portion of the percentage pie. It's a nice rose, not sour or funky.

Overall, this is a powdery (thanks amber) red musk/rose scent. If you are a fan of red musk and rose, I HIGHLY recommend this blend. I'm not a huge red musk fan though, and there are other rose blends I like more, so this impy will be added to my swaps page!

In the imp, I'm getting what must be the red musk; on my skin, the musk is a darker note, and I think I'm actually getting a balance of rose and musk; a bittersweet blend. Hmm. I think that this is going to need some further testing, but, for now, no more than an imp.

Edited by Venneh

I have been ignoring this one for a long time because I usually hate rose smells, but decided to go ahead and give it a shot because I was bored and couldn't sleep. And I'm glad I did. When I put it on and for the first hour I can pretty much just smell roses. But whereas most roses smell old-ladyish on me, these smell sweet and sexy. I can't pick out the amber and red musk, but I bet those are what's making the sweetness happen. After a while, this dries down to be a little less intensely sweet, but still not old-ladyish (maybe moving toward middle-aged though rather than girlish!). There's something that smells kind of funky and wooden, which I disapprove of, but it's not so strong that it would prevent me from wearing it. Like everything with red musk, this amps like crazy on me and the whole room is filled with the smell even though I didn't use much.

Although it doesn't share notes and thus shouldn't smell like it, for some reason it reminds me of Estee Lauder's Pleasures.

Hours and hours later I'm left with lovely red musk and a hint of roses and amber.

Weirdly, when I sniffed the imp after I first opened it I smelled nothing. NOTHING. Like I was holding an empty vial. That's the first time that's happened to me and I thought it was very strange.

This smells like a traditional perfume in the best way. It smells expensive like a rich, red brocade. At first it's a hit of all red musk, and it's here I get "CRUNCHY GRANOLA HIPPIES" like I do from Scheherazde. But from there, the musk calms, and the amber and the roses step forward--roses I can wear? It's gorgeous in this phase, when it's not a slap in the face with the red musk, but big red roses with a base of amber and musk, uplifting the flowers.

Oh, and there go the roses, sharp sharp sharp. Ahh well, pretty while it lasted.

Edited by cinderfallen

Got a frimp decant and decided to try as I do love rose. I'm a little leary of the musk--sometimes musk works on me, sometimes it amps--but what the heck, this was free!

In imp: musky rose.

Wet: MUSK. And more MUSK.

Drydown: Yet more MUSK. Ick. Looks like I'm amping this one.

A couple of hours later: Okay, this is better. The roses have come out now and there is a nice balance between the musk and the roses. A very sophisticated scent. A Little Black Dress type scent.

Too musky for me, I'm afraid, so I'll frimp this off to someone else.

I've never really met a blend that makes me SNEEZE like this one is. O_O I'm not overly fond of musk or amber, and rose has to be the "right" rose for me to like it. The combination of the three on me is just... well, not pleasant. Not to my nose, at least. It's heavy, cloying, and powdery. Like a lot of blends with musk and amber, it just reads as "old lady" to me. Of course, I grew up in a very hippie town, so maybe it's a very crunchy old lady. XD

Not for me, not one bit.

I desperately wanted this scent to work on me but it doesn't. All I get is really powerful musk that almost turns kinda patchouli on me, one scent that is awful when mixed with my skin. Had to swap it unfortunately.

Mmmm....Red Musk deliciousness! I was previously one of those gals who ran in fear from anything containing roses, however my love of Red Musk convinced me that i really had to give Spellbound a try. This is most definitely the very same red musk as the one in Scherezade, which i love, so that's no problem for me. The through is almost entirely red musk, with just a hint of rose, which is utterly amazing to me. I previously believed that i amped rose, but i've now tried two rose blends that work quite well on me (Pink Snowballs and Spellbound). I do get rose if i sniff close to my arm, but it is a lovely well behaved rose. I would say this reminds me more of a dry rose (not dusty, powdery, or potpouri, rather a well kept bouquet of dried roses) as opposed to dewy, fresh roses. I like this alot! The red musk is it's usual sorta-kinda-hippie self (like a hippie who's gotten all cleaned up, but the soft scent of her skin is still tinged with a hint of really good incense), but the roses give it a slightly more sophisticated and feminine feel. Overall, quite lovely!

Now this is nice...

The Imp itsself has this all day sniffablisciousness! Amber hardcany and Rose liquor.

A satin, Chocolate-Marischino cocktail dress worn by a brazen seductress.

On the skin it sharpens slightly; becomes more rubicund.

This is the perfect feminine counterpart to, "SATYR".

Edited by Shollin