Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
amunnefret

Spellbound

Perfectly enchanting! An irresistibly sexual, utterly rapturous blend of three roses, radiant amber, and sensual red musk.

Spellbound smells all right, but the rose doesn't quite grab me. If you're looking for a spicy rose fragrance that soaks the rose in musk and heady mystery, you might want to pick up an imp of this. I'm afraid I'm not terribly impressed by it. The amber and musk and spices and soforth don't last as long on my skin as the rose does.

Meh.

-doreen Edited by Shollin

In The Imp: Rose and musk. Sweet, harsh and warm

Wet on Skin: The rose is very clear here. I wish it was a more musky rose because I am getting a slight vinagar like scent from it.

20 minutes in: I finally get some amber notes! They dance alone the tangy rose giving it a much warmer smell to it. But this is not good news for me because the combo of the rose and amber is not going well on my skin :P Such a good idea in theory!

Later on: The rose calmed down, became sweeter and let the amber and musk come through. I really thought that I Spellbound hated me untill now. It's a very sexy scent once it settles on my skin.

Overall: It's a good scent for rose lovers. I didn't find that I loved it, but I really liked it after it was on my skin for a little while and the notes seperated.

Sharp and heady rose sets the stage. This is rose in stiletto heels, in slinky, slippy, deep dark red. Seductive, vibrant, maybe just a little mean.

It's a little much for me.

And then the red musk. HELLO, the sex. The stage now sports a dance pole, and the stiletto heels are the only semblance of clothing left.

This is not an easy rose for me to wear (not that I have great luck with rose scents in general), but for her, I'm willing to make the effort when the time is right.

Definately not a bottle, but the imp stays.

In the bottle: Smells kinda harsh, but intriguing.

First on: Mellower, but still sharp. I think it's the musk. Not really picking up any rose scent.

After 15 minutes: Still a little sharp, but starting to pick up hints of rose. Not sure if I like it or not yet.

After an hour: Mrr. Smells alright, but it doesn't really appeal to me. I like it enough to keep the imp, but no bottle in my future.

In the bottle: This actually reminds me of a commercial perfume, which name I can't recall but it's a heady musky floral like this one. Definitely "rich-lady perfume."

On me: Well, the description wasn't kidding. Whoa, this is about the sexiest BPAL blend I've worn. This is heady, hot-older-woman, femme-fatale perfume.

Verdict: I really really LOVE Spellbound A LOT. It's utterly hawwwt, less roses than musk and amber (unlike Black Rose which is basically rose with a musk/amber ballast). But definitely an evening-out, or special-occasion perfume. It's much too much for jeans and T-shirts, or for every day. I do want a bottle, to break out judiciously.

Unfortunately, Spellbound does not like me very much.

In the bottle there's this rich, deep spicy/sweet scent that was delicious, but there's this bitter after-scent (like an aftertaste?hrm) that curled my nose.

When I put it on it got worse. Not only does it NOT like my skin...but on me it has an IMPRESSIVE throw radius...people 20 feet away were wrinkling their noses at me :P

Alas, Spellbound, you break my heart. :D

After the first fifteen minutes or so, the rose definitely takes a backseat to the musk and amber in this. Which is still lovely, but I preferred it when the rose was more prominent. Lovely and sexy, but ultimately not for me.

Spellbound creates the effect of its name; it is quite entrancing and seductive. This is probably the only rose scent that hasn't really gone soapy on me, but then after having it on for a while it has to start tickling my nose and hurt my head... boo.

Sexy, haunting, classy, unstopable...

The rose is nearly undetectable in the bottle, but blooms fresh and red once it hits my skin. Drying down, though, it is sweet amber and sultry musk, with just a hint of powdery rose...delicious.

I will save this one for special evenings out.

Edited by lookingglass

I get something warm and dry on first application, and I'm tempted to list wood as a note, as well. As it dries, however, the roses begin to peek out, subtle but unmistakable. The musk appears as well, but it's low-key, enhancing the blend but not overpowering my nose.

Given the notes in this blend, I never would have guessed it to be so unobtrusive, but it is. It stays close to the skin, floral and faintly sweet, a seductive whisper.

This didn't work on me at all. In the bottle, it was a nice warm smell, amber with a hint of blooming roses and musk.

Once it hit my skin, it turned into unwashed armpits (my skin's unfortunate tendency to amp musk), The Overpowering Amber Baby Powder of Doom, and chemical bathroom deodoriser (the rose). I gave it 30 minutes, but it got worse and not better and was making me sick to my stomach, so i scoured it off with soap and rubbing alcohol.

Wet on the vial: I smell amber. Very warm and dry.

On my skin: Roses and musky. Two notes I'm most wary of because they rarely work with my chemistry.

Drydown: Will wonders never cease :D, a scent with rose and red musk that actually smelled good on me. Hubby gave it his stamp of approval (which is to pull my wrist back and bury his nose in it :P ).

Spellbound is evocative and verrah, verrah sexy.

Edited by mandragora

Fresh out of the bottle: A sweetish musk. Reminds me of ferrets, but not grapey… Hmmm… I don’t know about this… :D

Rapidly blossoms into an intense, sharp rose. I’m thinking there’s lots of yellow rose in this. I like it a lot, and even though it’s pretty intense on the wrist right now, the throw is not aggressive. Very good. Mmmm… Ahhh, I recognize this! Austrian Copper rose (rosa foetida). Some people think rosa foetida smells bad but I’ve always loved it. To me it’s a musky rose scent with a strong component of sharp unripe orange, a sort of peppery tickle, and a touch of clove - very intriguing. Spellbound doesn’t seem to have the clove, but it's sure got all the rest of the good stuff.

Gods, this is glorious! :D

Later: Oh, no! That interesting tickle is more than a tickle – it’s making me sneeze! :evil: Spellbound and Phantom Queen – love ‘em both to death, and both make me sneeze. Is it the roses? Oh, bad word, bad word, bad word!!! (Heartfelt foot-stamping fit!)

Update: This stayed on me nicely for a good four hours before I was forced to wash it off. Allergy meds were just not up to the task of counteracting its awesome sneezy-power. :P Not feeling at all well.

I love this scent so much that I would almost wear it anyway... :P SOoooo disappointed...

Update: I tried it again and I did not sneeze! Wahooo!!!! It's not the roses - I think it may be the red musk. The thing is, I really LOVE the red musk. "So", I says to meself, "I wears it and I takes me chances". Some days it's sneezy, some days not so much. It's just too luscious to let go. Obsessively in love with this scent.

Yup. Still allergic to it :D Still love the scent beyond all reason :D. Nothing else smells like this. Just the best thing ever.

Waaahhh! What do I do now?

Whew! Rescued from my obsession at last! I bundled it up and sent it off to kalipriestess! I hope you love it, Kali P.!

Edited by celtimor

i love the deep rich, burgundy color of this imp!

first sniff....yes, red musk....& red musk works wonderfully with

my chemistry....

upon application the red musk warms up nicely and i can smell the

beautiful rose components and amber; blended in a perfect harmony...

i even get a sweetness of something that smells like honey...niiiiice!!

ultra long lasting and very seducing perfume :P

:D

In The Bottle Oiy!! Rose. I'm a little scared. Rose and I don't get along very well.

Wet On Hmmm, that's not so bad, a little bit warm and spicy, still mostly rose...

Dry It now smells like dirt and....soap? A bit of an oxymoron, but I swear on my skin this blend manages to smell like both dirt and soap at the same time. :P

I think it'll need to go into the swap pile.

Just looking at the ingredients in this one makes me wobbly. There's nothing in here to go foul.

I pop the bottle, and oh, holy Asherah, this is some sexy, sexy stuff! Roses and musk. It's sweet, but not a candylike, girlish smell, though. It's thick and dark and womanly. The oil itself is so dark brown it's nearly black.

On, it's amazing. The roses and musk blend perfectly, neither overwhelms the other, so it's like one smooth smell. Together they're a lot like the Lab's wine note, but without that awful grape wet phase that wine sometimes goes through. The rose is like the dirty rose that's in Zombi. I love it. The musk is red musk, so it's hot and soft and buoyant. Of all the musks, red musk is the biggest on my skin; it hits my body heat and just expands. Rose does the same thing, so combining them . . . genius. It really, really works. The throw is fierce: my husband tells me he can smell it two rooms away, so apply with caution.

Wearing down, it hardly changes at all on me. It's very stable and long-lasting. The sweet fruity note dies back a little, but it's still exactly the same smell. I never get a clear amber note out of this, just a sort of general underlying warmth, influencing the musk more than the rose. It also lasts all night. I put it on at three, and this was still going strong at eight, even through a couple of handwashings.

A heady, powerful scent.

In the Imp - A warm rose and amber blend. Rose tends to take over on my skin, but I'm hoping the amber will smooth it out a bit.

Wet - OMGRose! I had to resist the urge to wash it off.

Dry - Still mostly rose. I can pick out the amber a bit. I can smell the musk a bit too, but it's gotten powdery.

This scent does not like my skin chemistry.

In the bottle - Almost nothing, very, very faint roses.

Wet on me - Sugared roses with a touch of sandalwood(?)

Dry on me - At first it goes into overly lush, wet roses. In about an hour, its become a sweet slightly spicy scent, with roses in the background. Not unlike Othello. This lasts for ages gradually fading to just the rememberance of the spice.

In the bottle: Musk, thick and sensuous.

On the skin: OMG excuse me while I go a little bit feral. I don't actually get the scent of the roses at all, just the lovely musk, rendered somewhat milky and sweet (I'm willing to bet that's the effect of the roses and amber).

Drying down: This one lasts for a good while on me - maybe 4 hours - and has good throw for the first hour. The musk is still the dominant scent, but it's mellow and delicious and lovely. Reminds me a lot of one of my other BPAL loves, Blood Moon.

Verdict: Oh Gods yes. Need a 5ml of this.

Trying to mow my way through untested imps. I gave Spellbound a try since today since it seems like the sort of thing I shouldn't wear to work.

In the Bottle: It's thicker and darker than even Snake Oil! I smell sweetness, but no definite rose. This one definitely stains my skin, though.

Wet: Mmmm...musk, mostly, but a warm, not feral musk. Sweet, but not sugary like Snake Oil. Still no strong rose/floral scent, which is just fine with me :D

Dry: Much more mellow after about a hour. The amber is more noticable dry, which is awesome, since I love amber and amber loves me. Still sweet, but not cloying, Did I mention sexy? Very, very sexy, but not at all flashy or sleazy. More of a confident sensuallity. I am in love :P

Verdict: Why did I wait so long to try this? Must be my fear of florals. I really love how the rose balance out the musk/amber notes so that noneof them are too overwhelming. A keeper!

When I first put this on it smelled lovely and rich. Rose and amber go fabulously with my skin chemistry and I loved the dark almost clove-like quality to it. And then.........

The dreaded musk! :D

After about 5 minutes it turned to this nasty, overpowering, suffocating baby powder on crack :P

I immediately washed it off and covered it up with Bengal.

I haven't worn Spellbound very often because the dark color of the oil isn't compatible with the light colored tops that I usually wear. I get loads of complements from other women, which is a little curious to me - since I think it's like a cross between headshop incense and baby powder. Still, it's a fun blend for weekends.

Bottle: rose, and amber, and sweet red musk.

Wet: a little sharp, the rose turning slightly sour. Uh oh.

Dry: the amber is stepping forward, and the sharpness is still there, although not as prominent, and the sour seems to have passed. whew. the musk seems to be upholding the foundation of the roses, rather than setting itself aside as it was when I first applied.

Later: it has the feel of Wicked on me (the darker, more mature rose) but the attitude is different - this is warmer, has a little more depth, I think, and its sexy edge isn't edgy-almost-bitchy like Joan Crawford, it's tantalizing and mysterious like Marlene Dietrich - mesmerizing, edgy and dark, casting a red-gold shadow from the cabaret lights. Yowza.

This is floral but not very rosey on me. I'm not getting the musk either. Spellbound is sweet floral (maybe jasmine?) amber on me. This is similar to Venom but not so sweet and boozy. I like the way this smells after I wear it for a bit. The sweetness tames down and the scent is more amber and jasmine then.