Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Brianne

Milk Moon 2007

And they came unto the brook of Eshcol, and cut down from thence a branch with one cluster of grapes, and they bare it between two upon a staff; and they brought of the pomegranates, and of the figs. The place was called the brook Eshcol, because of the cluster of grapes which the children of Israel cut down from thence. And they returned from searching of the land after forty days. And they went and came to Moses, and to Aaron, and to all the congregation of the children of Israel, unto the wilderness of Paran, to Kadesh; and brought back word unto them, and unto all the congregation, and shewed them the fruit of the land. And they told him, and said, We came unto the land whither thou sentest us, and surely it floweth with milk and honey; and this is the fruit of it.

A fertile scent, generous, life-affirming, and swelling with a sense of triumph, warmth, and abundance: sweet milk, golden honey, fig fruit, pomegranate, dates, and white grape.

Wow, am I really the first one to review this version? It feels like such a shame because my review isn't going to be positive and it probably deserves one from someone without my body chemistry *gulp*

In the bottle:
Spoiled milk and champagne

On me:
I should start by saying that I tried the original version of Milk Moon when it first came out and I hated it because it smelled like baby formula on me (that sort of sour, funky milky smell). Almost everyone else was getting a beautiful creamy scent and I was not.

When I saw this was a new formula and that it contained pomegranate (a favorite!), and honey and fig - I thought to myself, "There is NO WAY that this is gonna smell like that last one on me". I seriously thought wrong.

When it goes on, I get a very strong white grape note and then a strong background of baby formula/funky milk. It is disgusting on me. It must be Beth's milk note that just goes all wrong on my skin. I wish I could say there was anything else about this scent, but there just isn't on me.

Final note:
If you had problems with the original Milk Moon, you might be wary of wearing this one, because it's going funky sour on me just like the original. However, if you LOVED the first one, you might find that this has more in common with the original than you thought and you should give it a try!

I thought I would weigh in here--be aware I have no eloquence for perfume reviews. This has no bearing on Beth's creativity, just mine.

I really liked the original Milk Moon, but found it smelled just like Obatala on me, and Obatala was a good deal more available. This, I find to be milky, yes, with a small hint of cooked milk, not chilled milk. There's also a floral undertone. It reminds me more of Dana O'Shee than the original Milk Moon.

My skin doesn't like it much, to be honest. It's turning into something I don't really care for.

Oh, I love this! Instant delight from the first sniff. It's a very gentle scent, but has presence and a fair amount of throw at the same time. I think I'm getting the figs and dates, mostly, balanced with the honey and milk. This might sound a little crazy, but it actually reminds me of a pineapple-coconut milkshake I had on Maui. Mmmm! I love this!

In bottle: Sweet and fruity, but not too much of either.

On me: Mmmm! Things interact in unexpected ways. It becomes a darker scent than I'd thought it would be. Dates! There are dates! Not smelling the grape (good!) or the pomegranate (unexpected!). This is sweet fig and date. This is so yummy. Oh, and *there's* the milk note - but it's not cold milk, it's a warm creaminess. This is yummy!

On me, this is "Fig". Not that I don't detect other notes, but they combine to form an Uber-Fig scent.

I also smell something reminiscent of Rugelah.

In the bottle, there's an undertone of vanilla, sweetened with something juicy. On my wrist, this is all grape and pomegranate, with a base of sweetened milk. Very light and frothy; less heavy than the last outing for this scent, but the base is still that milky vanilla. Definitely a keeper.

On me this is pure fig drenched in sweetened honey. Just a hint of something like juicy pomegranet in the background. It has really nice throw and the only hint of milk of any kind that I get is when I glue my nose to my wrist and huff. It is lovely and I am sort of surprised by just how richly sweet it is. A little goes a long way with this. In the bottle is is extreamly powerful. I almost shudder to think of the range this puppy would have in a scent locket :P

I thought this might be a hit for me, so I got 3 bottles.

It IS a hit for me.

I liked the last Milk Moon but my son said I smelled 'Like soymilk, mama'......this one has that slight sweet milk underlying everything, but the notes that are strongest are figs and grapes. Somehow, the milk ties it together with the sweetness of the honey.

The milk gets a little stronger after about 10 minutes, but the fruit notes really hold their own against it. I actually think this is more 'wearable' than the original. Again, though, it falls more into the realm of 'interesting' than pretty. I definitely like it and will be going through more than one bottle.

Hmmm... Don't know quite what to make of this just yet. I like it, but it seems like it could be cloying after a while.

I smell the sweet, warm milk from the previous Milk Moon, but now the white grape lays atop it, super-sweet & almost effervescent. I don't know that I can pick out the fig, date, & pomegranate--perhaps the honey is morphing them, lending to the super-sweetness that I've been attributing solely to the grapes. Long story short, to me this is old milk moon sweetened waaaay the heck up.

I never smelled the first Milk Moon so am not sure how this compares, but I like this. On drydown it's like fruity sour candy--the honey and pomegranate are easy to pick out. I only got the milk note for the first hour or so, and it smells almost like rice on me (rice milk?). It's subtle and fruity and light. I can see how a lot of noses might pick up sour milk from this, though, so it's one to go light on.

Edited to add that I've figured out what this reminds me of. It's a sour version of Pink Phoenix. Imagine the honey in that plus sour fruits. And the staying power is really good too!

Edited by Iceblink

i too never smelled the first milk moon. i was sure i would like this but as soon as i saw the first review i had a gut feeling that i would too be doomed - and i am.

SOUR MILK. oh and fig. that's pretty much what i get out of this. i have to disagree about it being warmed milk. this to me is very much cold. cold sour milk. not STINKY stinky sour milk, but it is sour none the less. no sweet at all.

i want to like it. i feel like i could force myself to, but really... i don't think i will. it really just isn't my style even not taking the sour association my mind makes into account. :P

off to swaps!

Edited by space girl lost

In the bottle: a whole bunch of stuff I can't immediately identify.

On, initially: Mmmmmmm! I knew people had said that this smelled like the old Milk Moon with grapes, and I wasn't sure what that would be like, but I like it. I definitely get that creamy milk note, one which on me makes me think of basmati rice pudding or coconut milk. There are also lots of sweet grape-y fruits here - rich sweet fruits, not bright tropical ones or cold-climate apples and pears.

At first, there is lots and lots of grape, but as it dries, I also get fig (yum!), and a slight tartness from the pomegranate, and then I think maybe a teeny bit of honey is lurking behind. Will have to see what it does on drydown...

I will say that it's a little olifactorily confusing to wear this, because the milk note triggers my old Milk Moon scent memory, and the additional fruit here is a little bit startling. I go back and forth between thinking "GORGEOUS!!!" and thinking that the notes are a little discordant. But still waiting for final drydown...

Later: this is really similar to the old version, but with a lovely fruity sweetness to it. Sadly, I'm not really getting any honey from this. It does still confuse me to smell the milk note, because I associate it with the very-slightly-coconutty, slightly-minty scent of the old Milk Moon, but of course here it's fruity and different. But since I love the old Milk Moon, the similarity makes me really happy! I'm really liking this!

Wet: Almost like coconut milk with dates and figs, but not overly fruity.

First on: Milk is warm, almost like cream, but not quite. Picking up grapes, honey and fig. Warmer than I was expecting, on the whole. Still almost coconutty.

Dry: This is very much like a fruity, milk-based tropical drink. Not tropical-fruity like pineapples and kiwis, but something milky that's been left in the sun on a beach for a while. Strong throw and intense lasting power (survived with a strong throw even through a shower).

i was excited for this, i loved the last one, and had high hopes for this one...

in the bottle: smells like concentrated white grape juice, and a splash of pomegranate.

wet: the honey peeks up to say hi, i still get a pretty large amount of grape, it does smell tropical somehow.

i think the milk in this is making it remind me of a tropical drink, the milk combining w/ the fig somehow smelling like coconut? because when it dries this is a cold, wet, pinacoloda on a warm summer evening. i looove it.

I'm not sure that I've ever posted a review here before, but I just had to start with this.

In the bottle, it's almost entirely different from the original Milk Moon; that's straight-up sweet milk, and this is...well, the milk is still there underneath, but waaaaay underneath. My first short sniff of the bottle, I didn't get any milk at all, just pomegranate and grape, with a bit of deepness that might be the honey or the figs/dates. I had to go back for another sniff before I said, "Oh, there it is."

There's no real change at all when it hits my skin. But as it starts to dry, the milk appears. The fruits smooth out so they're not spurting all over the place like you just bit into them, and the milk shows up as a slick coating under the sharper, stronger scents. The honey/fig/dates also get a bit stronger, so that the scent is deeper than in the bottle. It reminds me of Pumpkin Patch 3, actually. It's not the same, because the rest of the notes are different, but the pomegranate has that level of strength to it. In fact, if you liked that and milk doesn't amp on your skin like a crazy thing, you should really give this a try.

At the final drydown, the milk is about back where it was in the bottle, and the big difference is that the fruit is deeper thanks to all the fruits and honey coming together with nothing really claiming single-note dominance. There's more than decent throw off a single dab, and since the original had incredible staying power on me, I expect this will, too. There is not enough "yum" in the world to express my joy about this one.

In the bottle: Oh wow, this is NOTHING like the original Milk Moon. Its almost pure grapes and fig sitting in a bowl of warm milk in the bottle.

On the skin: *squeeeeeeeeeeeeeees* Pomegranate pops out and says hello and it decides it doesn't hate me! This is the first pomegranate note that is behaving on me! Yay! The fig and grape scent is really complex, and the entire blend of fruits are still sitting in a warm bowl of milk.

On drydown: Ohhhh there is the gorgeousness of the original Milk Moon, the honey milk continues to come forward and starts to dominate, its like taking the original Milk Moon and rubbing a mix of gorgeous fig, pomegranate and grape into it. This is utterly amazing. I am so glad I bought a bottle. This one is going to be treasured. Oddly enough, in all my time buying BPAL this is my first Lunacy bought straight from the lab and I am so glad it is :P))

Bottle: Smells like homemade fruit yogurt. There is that sourness others mentioned. At first I was afraid this might not work for me.

On my skin: Wet it smelles like yeasty warm bread with a mild undertone of date and fig. No real milk smell. As it dries the yeasty scent goes away and the fruits get more complex. It seems like every time I sniff it a different one pops out. At different times I get fig, grape, date and even what reminds me of bread and wine. I'm liking it better but wondering where the pomagranate is.

Later on: On my skin the warm creamy honeyed milk finally comes out and the fruits are only a hint of complexity. This is just gorgeous and comforting. It makes me think of my mom.

In my locket: The fruits really hang in there and for a long time I get a mix of the pomaganate I was hoping for and fig with grape and date adding sweetness filling in the background. The fruits are very warmed as though they are heaped in abundance in a sunny bazaar stall. Much later this too mellows to the honeyed milk scent it had on my skin.

Overall I'm enraptured. :P This is nothing like what I would normally choose, I usually wear something with at least a background floral. It doesn't smell like my image of me but the experience of it is so lush and comforting. I was worried about the sour note at first but it seems to go away very quickly. I can see myself wearing this to sleep.

This is very sweet, and I echo that it smells like a topical drink. Perhaps like laying in the sun, slathered in suntan lotion on the beach. Very warm and very sweet.

I haven't had any luck with the Lunacies lately. YAY for Milk Moon! On my skin, it's a tropical fruity, creamy, delicious scent. I love it.

In the bottle: juicy tropical fruits and the milky note. I have to say, in the bottle the milk note has a funk to it. :D Kind of baby formula that's been sitting in a bottle in a hot car... having four kids, I know that smell all too well. :P

Luckily, on my skin that note morphs into creamy sweetness and blends beautifully with the almost pina colada-smelling fruit. I swear I smell coconut milk and pineapple, too! This is the scent I'll put on all summer after swimming. It's sunny, cheerful, and delightful! Applied sparingly, the throw is light and it fades fairly quickly on me.

Don't let any funk in the bottle scare you off. It's all in the skin chemistry. :D

Ok, this starts off with a confused attitude on me: it both smells like sweet cream and like a little bit of sour milk. This has me worried.

However, once it mellows down and dries a bit it becomes so down to earth, with a sensual sweet warmth. Mmm—I definitely pick up on the fig, date, and the honey with a touch of the pomegranate and sweet cream thrown in there for good measure. However, my right wrist is still making this a tiny bit sour and a part of me wonders if it’s the pomegranate or the grapes—I haven’t tried a scent with these two elements before. However, my left wrist smells divine. If I smelled food that had this aroma I’d be gobbling it down in a second. What’s funny is that it feels slightly resinous since it’s so well blended into the skin with a amber-esque glow. I love the scent on my left wrist but my right wrist is giving me some worries since it still smells slightly sour. I’ll probably let it relax a couple of days and then try it again.

And then it turns into a tropical frozen drink! Like a frozen fruit pìna colada with honey drizzled on top and slice of pineapple for garnish—one problem with this scenario: I hate coconut. Dang it! I don't know what to do. It's an ok scent, I don't hate it but I certainly don't love it (but I love the artwork on the bottle). and here I had such high hopes for it and now i'm waffling on how I feel about it. :P

Rating: 2/5

Edited by Lunaratu

Mmmmmm. This is damn good.

I adore the 2005 Milk Moon - I have two bottles and am almost out of the first. It is my ultimate comfort scent - what I turn to when I have a migraine, or cannot sleep, or am just sad. It is my pillow scent, my bedtime scent, what I want my teddy bear to smell like.

This - this is MM 2005's sophistocated older sister. The base is virtually identical - I can smell the same creamy, buttery vanilla, but the fig and the pom and the dates and the grape combine to make this something much more wearable for, you know, day, and a suit and the office. :P This is ambrosia, baby, and damn it's good.

I am utterly shocked. I bought this despite the last Milk Moon having turned to curdled baby formula on me, and I just knew it would be awful.

I was so wrong. In the bottle this smells exactly like a Pina Colada to me. Exactly. Where I'm getting the pineapple note from, I don't know, but there it is. Once on, it does start to smell a bit off, as the last formulation did, but only for a brief moment, then the milk settles down and it's lovely Pina Colada again, but with flowers added this time, like the Pina Colada is served with tropial flowers adorning it. Lovely. And boy, does it last. I could still smell it faintly on my wrists this morning, 16 hours after applying.

I may even need a backup bottle of this one. Go figure. :P

ARGH!

This is so much apricot and date on me + supah-grape that it's one giant fruity raisinoid scent.

My skin chemistry must have destroyed this one - I don't get any cream at all, it's all fruit compote.

I expected not to like this after smelling it in the bottle. It was so sour! But I truly love it---just las others have mentioned, it's like a tropical fruit cocktail. Very strong throw too. I could smell it all around me for hours.

Milky fruits with just a tinge of sweet honey. Of the fruits, my skin amps up the pomegranate especially in the beginning stages. I am pretty sure that the grapes are there too, sort of crisp and slightly tart. Mouthwatering.

As it dries that sticky, muted warmth of the dates and figs atart to show. Very soft and mellow and creamy at this stage. It still brings to mind those fluffy, frothy tropical drinks. It has a bit of a vanilla smell too, but light.

I can't imagine how great this will smell in the hottest part of this summer, layered with my most pungent smelling sunscreen. It would be tropical, beachy, summer paradise everywhere I went.

Milk Moon 2007-

In Bottle: Milky rich scent with a citrus-fig overthrow.

Wet: Hmm, a funny spicy candle scent, a little musty, over the figgy citrus smell.

Dry: Oh, good, that musty-spicy candle thing goes away right away. What remains is sweet and foodie and fruity, kind of ginger-creamy with citrus involved. It's nothing like the earlier blend of Milk Moon; it is quite unique!

Overall: Nice!