Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Brianne

Milk Moon 2007

A fertile scent, generous, life-affirming, and swelling with a sense of triumph, warmth, and abundance: sweet milk, golden honey, fig fruit, pomegranate, dates, and white grape.

Milk Moon to me, smells like, well, like the description says. In the bottle and at first on application it's milk and fruits, a bit citrussy/sour in a good way. It's a bit sharp at first, but the scent deepens and the fig and honey comes out adding warmth and sweetness. It's a fruity, creamy, sweet and happy scent and it's quite lovely. I'm glad I have a bottle.

Edited to add description. Edited by quantum spice

milkmoon07SS.jpg

Imp: strong honey, with a definite milky note.

Wet: same as in the imp (or bottle, in this case): milky honey, but now I get a hint of flowers. Try as I might, I can smell no pomegranate or figs. And I really, really wanted to smell at least the pomegranate! Dang it. :P

Dry: Honey. Honey and milk. Milk and honey. Well, this doesn't smell badly, but it really disappoints me that I can't smell the pomegranate, which is one of my favorite notes of Beth's blends. The florals I thought I smelled wet aren't there at all when this dries down -- only milk and honey. I wonder if they meant this to be the new Honey Moon?

Verdict: I'm keeping my bottle, and it's going into my nightly Lunacy rotation, but I won't try to buy a backup bottle from the forum or eBay. It's just not one I absolutely have to have.

Edited by stellans

This one sounded so good to me, but once I actually tried it I was... underwhelmed. It's not that it was bad -- it's quite pleasant. It's just, well, not all that interesting.

My initial reaction was pretty much "Yep, that's fruit." And not much else. Eventually a bit of a condensed-milk sort of scent crept into it, but on the whole, it was just sort of sweet, mildly fruity and bland. I don't dislike it -- it hasn't got enough character to be dislikable. But there's not a lot here to get excited about, either.

Oh well. Perhaps someone else will love it.

Grade: B

there’s a fruity sourness to this that i don’t care for. like pineapple soaking in warm milk. i adore other BPAL milk blends, so it’s just this particular combination of fruits and milk that turns so cloying on my skin. the honey, fig and date are rich and sweet, but the sour fruit is just too overpowering. off to swaps.

After reading previously that some people got a "vomit" note initially from this blend, I was very afraid in opening up my bottle when it arrived today! :P However, I did not get that sensation at all - my chemistry is so nice to me :D . Mostly, in the bottle, I get milk with grape, fig and dates. I don't get a lot of honey, which makes me feel a bit sad. This blend does not change too much once it hits my skin. The throw is also quite good, better than other milk blends that I have tried. My only complaint would be that it does not last incredibly long on my skin. Overall, this is very good blend and I'm happy to have a bottle. I can see it coming in handy when the weather is super hot.

Edited by euterpe414

I think I lucked out on taking a chance with this one - the previous incarnation of Milk Moon soured on me, but this one has more fruit to it... [i would like to note that I have no skill whatsoever in determining just WHAT fruit I'm smelling, as I don't eat enough fresh fruit to really have a clue what it should smell like.]

In the bottle: It's a warm, sweet, cozy fruit scent - there's that sweet, creamy undertone, as if I were dipping fresh fruit in whipped cream or something.

Wet: Still creamy fruit.

Dry: This has an amazing throw without being overpowering. It's lost the heady sweetness in the fruits, but kept the creamy scent, creating a warm, sultry aura. I like it ever so much - it's like having a tangible aura of feminine allure and power, but warm and comforting at the same time. And it lasts - I could still smell it when I woke up the next morning.

This is my new 'sexy' scent. o.O:: My boyfriend, normally a very reserved and polite fellow, couldn't keep his hands off me when I had this on. :P :D Fun times.

In the imp: hrmm. Grape juice - sweet and almost pineapple-ish - and a sort of yoghurty smell.

On me, wet: very sweet but much fainter - like a powdery milkshake made very weakly.

On me, dry: pina colada. Very milky and without alcohol, but still, sticky sweet pinapple-coconut-tropicalness.

Verdict: Too sticky-sugary-sweet for my nose. Ah well.

Milk Moon 07

In the bottle: pina colada! No, really! It does smell like creamy pineapples. Or creamy grapes and pomegranates?

Wet on skin: honeyed tropical fruit custard!

Dry on skin: oh, I like this. Much more than I expected to. At first sniff it is pina colada, but when I sniff deeper, I can pick out tart pomegranates mainly, and white wine grapes, and maybe a softer base of fig too…and some dates. There's even a hint of something floral to it, reminding me of a grown up Chaste Moon. All of these surrounded by a honey custard. It is milky, but not sickening. And the sharpness I get in this scent is a fruity sharpness (which I can tolerate) and not a rancid yoghurt one.

After a while: after the initial pomegranate scent fades off, now the honeyed milk starts to show up. Still not turning rancid on me, which is good. It really does remind me of custard, and though I don't like eating it, I like the smell. There's even a hint of coconut sweetness to it, reminding me of Obatala. It makes me think of a tropical dessert. I still smell tangy fruits all around. After a while the fig and date come out a little more and I really love the creamy fig-date-honey scent at this stage. It's not as coconutty as Obatala but it has a very similar feel. It also reminds me of the Star. At other times I smell pomegranates again, and then more cream, and then more dates, more grapes…it seems to morph slowly and gracefully through the fruits and the milk and honey so every note gets a chance to shine.

Eventually this dries to a very comforting mix of fruits and milk and honey-very smooth, all blended together, nothing sticks out and it isn't sharp at all now, just creamy and soft. Like an exotic fruit smoothie or milkshake. Almost like the creaminess of Snow White but not cold or marshmallow like. Holy cow (no pun intended!), this is wonderful.

Verdict: I was so worried that I would hate this. I love the light-milk scents (Alice, Dana O'Shee etc) I disliked the previous Milk Moon and the reviews mentioning sour milk and baby vomit scared me. But thankfully, this is truly gorgeous, and is one of the few heavy-milk scents that I can pull off. It smells like milk and honey poured over a pile of fruits-though sometimes there's an illusion of pineapple, at other times the fruits really do smell like what they should be-grapes, poms, figs and dates. It really is ambrosia! Milkshake of the gods indeed…with a rich creamy custard feel to it at times and even hints of what could be coconut. It is very rich but it is also light and summery thanks to the fruits. The drydown is very soothing creamy sweetness which is like a blanket of gentle milky comforting fruits. And how can I not love something with Hathor on the label? It almost seems like this scent is a ritual offering to her (although it also has a biblical theme…but to me it seems to work both ways), and I also agree that this is the perfect fertile and fruitfully feminine contrast to the heavy, brooding, dark Minotaur. I am so glad I bought two bottles of this, and I'm getting another one or two off the forum.

Emoticon rating: :P

Is it a keeper? Definitely! I love this MM formulation, it is the BPAL bitty I've been dreaming of!

If you like this, try: Obatala, White Rabbit, Dana O'Shee, Alice, The Star, Strangler Fig, Hetairae, Milk Moon 05

Edited by yeahbutnobut

When I first got this, I tried it right away, and it was a complete disaster. Milk Moon+My skin=Candied Sour Milk Moon. It was a very sour, heavy and curdled scent. SO.....I put it away in the closet for a couple weeks and tried again. It's not quite as bad this time. Still has more of a yogurt feel than milk to my nose, and the sweetness of the grape is turning me off. I really wanted more of the fig and pomegranate, but that's not what I get from this scent. It's really just not working for me.

I will add that this has amazing endurance. The first time I wore it, I tried washing it off, and could still detect it something like 12 hours later, on my skin where I applied it.

I really really wanted to love this, everyone that I have given a sniff too has loved it and said it smelt lovely, yet to me I instantly gag, I don't know why, it is bizarre, but as soon as I bring the bottle up to my nose to see if by some miracle it has morphed into something like I wanted it to be, Ohhhh nooooooooooo it smacks me in the head with a bucket of curdle and I get instant gagging. But that said, I seem to be the only in my group of friends that gets that response.

Oh beautiful milk moon why you hate me soooooo :P

The decant I have has such a cute label, thanks to the handiwork of ETDQ (:

In the imp I get sweet fruity milky lollies, kind of like boiled lollies if they were made with a milky base iknstead of just a fruit base.

Wet on skin, it's much the same still, all sweet and fruity and milky. Not creamy, but milky. Weird, but OK.

Once dry, there's definitely a grape note in it, not at all purpley, or artificially grape, lots of sweet white grape-ness. The milk still underlines the scent, making me think fruity milk, rather than creamy fruitiness which was what I was hoping for ...

It doesn't go weird or anything, it's just not something I'd choose to be scented with, I guess? Lucky for this cute lil decant, it's already found a new home!

This stayed in spoiled milk and sour grapefruit form from the imp to the skin to drydown. I didn't get a bottle because it was my first lunacy and I'm glad I didn't. More for someone else to love.

In the imp: slightly sour milk note and bright fruits.

Wet: extremely milky with really strong fruity notes over the top. Very overpowering, and very similar to Eden (which I am assuming is the fig note)

Dry after a number of hours: still very similar to Eden, but slightly nuttier, and the milk note is very milky.

Verdict: not for me. I don't like milk so was very wary about trying this scent, and unfortunately, the smell of milk was really present, and the fruits couldn't hide it :P

Wet: Toasted coconut in milk, like something you'd get for dessert in India.

Drydown: The honey comes out more strongly, then the fig. I get something almost pineapple-like; maybe that's the pomegranate. This has fairly good staying power for a scent that's so clear and that I imagined would run and hide immediately on me. Yeah -- like some funky, milky Indian dessert; I'd say Thai if it had the ginger that's in Sudha Segara.

Verdict: It's nice, and I like the complexity, but I think I'm going to spend some more time with the GC Obatala before tripping over myself to get more than the sniffie I had of MM '07. I do find it oddly robust for what it is, which gives it potential for me; while my skin does make it into something coconutty, it's not an obnoxious sunscreen coconut.

Wet this is sweet fruit and slightly sour milk. When first on it smells pretty much the same. Oddly it's reminding me of pineapple upside down cake. After a couple minutes I can smell a bit of fig. After about an hour the sourness has faded. I only smell the honey very faintly on the drydown. This has so many of my favorite notes in it so I really thought it would work for me. Unfortunately the sour milk note is overpowering. Too bad :P

In the imp, this is a sweet, creamy, almost edible scent.

Wet on me, it immediately turns to milk that's somewhere significantly past sour, with grapes in the background. It's making me kinda queasy, actually. I'm glad I just got a decant and not a whole bottle.

I had been craving a creamy scent, so I bought a decant of this.

In the decant: Oof - sour milk in the bottle. But that can be deceptive, so I plow on ahead!

On: I get.. pineapples, even though there aren't any in here (but I see other people have said that too!) on top of sour milk. Doesn't seem like my skin wants to accept it - I was really hoping this would be the creamy scent of my dreams but my skin chemistry isn't right for it.

Dry: Now that's odd - from a distance (arm's length), this smells really nice - I can pick out the figs and I love the scent of figs - it's a warm, fruity scent. But if I put my hand to my nose and sniff, it's pretty awful and spoiled. Don't think this one works for me.

at first it smells like a pina colada. then it smells like somebody drank too many pina coladas and became sick all over my arm.

I'm having a hard time working out if I like this or not!

I get the honey and milk, both of which do generally work for me, plus some fruit which does smell like pineapple to me. And therein lies the problem I think. I suspect it might be the white grapes and possibly the dates that are putting me off a little as they're new notes to me. There is definitely a warm milk scent to this but it's not sour on me thanks to the honey.

Hmmm.. I think I'll hold on to my imp for the time being until I can work this one out.

I spent six weeks yearning for the sweet, creamy goodness Milk Moon promised.

It didn't deliver when I first sniffed the bottle--I got this sour buttermilk odor. But I tested a bit on the wrist and waited for it to work its magic.

Two hours later, slightly older sour buttermilk.

Pity, this was my very first Lunacy and I was so sure this would work, I've liked or loved most of what I've gotten from BPAL. Ah well, you can't win all the time.

I have an odd relationship with the milky bpal notes. I start out adoring them, wear them too much and get tired of them, swap them away then miss them again.

That is what happened with Milk Moon 05.

So I thought, I won't get this new incarnation. Sometimes pomegranite surprises me and works on me, but often it doesn't. I do like honey, but fig and date? Overall it sounded too fruity and the first reviews didn't inspire me.

But then I felt like I'd missed out trying it, so I swapped for a bottle, and wouldn't you know? I love it!

It starts out like sweetened condensed milk, milky and sweet with a just slightly sour note underneath it all, and I find all that appealing. Then the fruit kicks in big time. I smell like fruit cocktail custard! This sounds like a bad thing, but I find it quite appealing, actually. It seems to me this is how the ambrosia dessert should really be: not just canned fruit cocktail and marshmallows and whatever else is in it, but more a creamy custardy fruity dessert. I understand why people say it smells like a pineapple shake or a pina colada....while it doesn't smell exactly like those things, it does give off the tone of them.

I get a bit of honey, and perhaps a bit of white grape, but other than the overwhelming creaminess from the milk scent, nothing else is distinct. That said, this has terrific throw, and lasts way longer than BPAL scents have on me lately. It is also both intoxicating and comforting: wearing it, I keep sniffing my wrist and thinking "delicious!" Yet I also don't feel I want to wear it out--it feels like a stay-at-home comfort scent.

Will I keep the whole bottle? We'll see. but I'm quite glad I got it for now, and I really am enjoying it.

In the bottle this is an odd combination of light milk and sweet white grape juice, a bright, pale scent that promises beauty. Also present, the sweetness of pomegranate.

On, the throw is fruit with a stiff dose of cream. This scent cruises right on the edge of being sour, its sweetness sharpened by the grape and deepened by the buttery cream.

I don't think I like this quite as well as the earlier version, but that is a very near thing. This scent is beautiful, unusual, distinctive, a friendly, embracing scent that invites cuddling, relaxation, and heart's-ease.

It has a lot of throw, so be warned. And it takes a minute to warm up. At first, you may think you haven't applied enough.

It's very pretty once the slightly sour grape smell dies back a little and the sticky fruits come out to play with the cream. Recommended if you can get a sample and you like creamy scents.

Since milk and I don't get along in the first place, I was very nervous about this scent after reading all the reviews mentioning the sour milk scent.

I'm still a little nervous because I only put it on a short while ago, but right now I'm getting this deliciously creamy fruity custard scent. It's definitely heavy cream, not milk I'm smelling, and as long as it doesn't go sour on me I'll be very happy.

It reminds me of a dessert we got once at a Burmese restaurant that was a kind of custard/cocoanut milk/raisins/almonds mix. Very heavy and sweet and so wonderful!

milkmoon.jpg

A fertile scent, generous, life-affirming, and swelling with a sense of triumph, warmth, and abundance: sweet milk, golden honey, fig fruit, pomegranate, dates, and white grape.[/i]

I get a highly toned milk scent from this one in the bottle. I also see a bit of fruit in the mix here. There seems to be a cassia like item in here as well, and I guess I am the only one who thinks that. This one is real different from 2005 when there was a lime and Oblatala-like element to it. I think this one is real good, but I was wanting a reprise of the 2005. Get your mind in one place and... But if I had not smelled the 2005 then I would favor this one I am sure.

Edited by Shollin