Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Brianne

Milk Moon 2007

A fertile scent, generous, life-affirming, and swelling with a sense of triumph, warmth, and abundance: sweet milk, golden honey, fig fruit, pomegranate, dates, and white grape.

I couldn't believe how much like milk this really smelled. I didn't read the reviews before I picked up a bottle, and was expecting that "milk" note to be more of a creamy, gentle sort of fragrance. In the bottle it literally smells like a mixture of honey and milk. It made me cringe to be honest, but then I thought I would try a bit on my wrist. After a few moments of sniffing what seemed to be milk turning bad, and turning bad quickly on my arm I went and washed it off.

After I washed it off, I could still smell it though it actually smelled better to me than it had at first. A little more of the pom and fig came out, but I still cannot get over it smelling like actual milk.

I got to test Milk Moon 2007 from another forum member's bottle. I tried it on and I had the option to buy it, but I decided against it.

I didn't get any sour milk, thankfully - nothing but a tart pineapple/passionfruit smoothie. (Not fake pineapple flavoring - smells good, like the real thing.) After an hour or so there was a little spice coming out, but it was still mostly pineapple. I don't usually want to smell like fruit, but this is really very pretty. If only I could detect pomegranate I think I would have bought it. If you love pineapple, you need this.

I barely got any milk out of this at all. It was all fig and pomegranate. in fact, I kept thinking to myself, what does this smell like? fig? pomegranate? it has to be ONE of those. having not remembered the description at all. turned out to be both. so, those notes are definitely prominent. it is sweet and tart like pineapple. the creaminess smells like lotion to me. lotion and a slight hint of skim milk. it is a strange, sweet smell. I think I might keep this for strange, sweet nights.

In the bottle: Fruity

On Skin: Fruity pina colada

On Drydown: Fruity pina colada, I get mild hints of fig.

Verdict: So. Not. Me. It's a pretty foody scent... but I'm not a pineapple fan at all. I was hoping for some the milky creamy goodness others were getting. Apparently, this was like "moon on the beach" for me, complete with a little umbrella. Tropical. :P

Imp: Creamy. I get a very "white" feel from this, like coconut milk. Just a touch of something sweet, but I can't tell if it's the pomegranate or grape.

Wet: Fermenting (read: molding) white grape juice. It's disgustingly sweet. I wanted it to be richly fruity without being noxious. It failed.

Dry: A strange tinge of pineapple. Must be the honey starting to come out. I would've been happy if it were all fig. Oh well. Tried it on a whim and hoped it wouldn't be sour fruit.

Imp: Creamy, fruity sweet. Really quite lovely. I definitely get some grape/pineapple feel here.

Wet: About the same as in the imp. The honey comes out a bit more and sweetens the fruit. There is definitely a "tropical" feel here. I don't get any fig or pomegranate, but I get pineapple and grape. >_>

Dry: Well...I think "urine" would be the most accurate description. I have no idea how a sweet, tropical, fruity scent dried to smell like urine, but it did. If someone wants this imp, I'm definitely open to giving it away. A total failure on me. *sigh*

Wow, is this foodie! I understand the pina colada analogies, but on me, wet/drydown, it's . . . :P

Strawberry-banana yogurt! Yes, it's VERY sweet, at this point.

Dry, it gets creamier, and the honey note adds in, but the fruit quiets down a bit. I'm thinking of the yogurt fruit cups they serve at company functions, as part of the breakfast selections. The kind that have grapes and strawberries and melon and pineapple mixed in with fruit yogurt. Not what I was expecting (somehow, I was expecting something more, well, Biblical), but rather delicious if you like food type scents. I could see how this wouldn't work with some skin chemistry, but on me, it's fairly tasty.

In the bottle: Pina Colada made with unsweetened yougurt? Okies...

Wet: *sings* "do you like Pina Coladas, and taking walks in the rain?" :P Pina coladas made with yougurt, so it has a tang, a hint of sourness to it which I don't find unpleasant. That is until the rancid note hit. :D I have never had a milky BPAL do this, oh nose! :D

Dry down: Ahhh the rancid note didn't last long at all, not even a minute. Now this is the stuff! Pina Colada must have made a rancid fart and left in embarrassment, LOL. I am now getting fig, lovely fig and cream. This is a Summer scent!

30 minutes: figs dribbled with honey in a bowl of cold milk sprinkled lightly with coconut. Wonderful!

Conclusion: this turns ito beautiful cream with honey and a hint of fig. I love this, and the label art as always rocks!

Rating 1-5: on my skin this is a 4.5.

Milk notes generally don't work on me, not at all, so I didn't really bother with this one. But we do strange things at meet-n-sniffs, don't we. I tried it and it didn't go rancid! What? Milk and fruit - two of my most feared adversaries - and this is behaving? Has hell frozen over? Nope, this is just one of those flukes like Bordello. Amazingly it works and I really like it. It's refreshingly light and fruity, perfect for a hot summer day.

In the bottle: Warm milk. It reminds me of heating milk on the stove to make rice pudding. When the milk is just warm enough to stir in the rice, but not hot enough to boil...that smell. Heavy, sticky fig/date note is also present. I notice some sweet Welch's white grape but it is very faint. I expected the over-powering BPAL honey note, but it is absent.

Wet: Yum! Sweet, comforting, smooth and warm. I'm noticing what might be pomegranate - a little astringent, but it cuts through the "stickiness" and rounds out the scent nicely.

Dry: Mellows quickly. This may be a skin chemistry thing, as I tend to burn off sweet scents rapidly. I can see how this could be cloying if sweetness amps or linger on your skin. I'm in a cloud of nondescript, creamy, sweetness.

Later : 2+ hours. This fades very, very quickly on me. Slightly tangy sour milk-y smell on my skin is all that s left.

Verdict: When Milk Moon is first applied it is lovely. The warm blend of milk, grain and sweet fruits is balanced nicely with the tart grape. However, I need to either bathe in it, or add it to moisturizer. Something. The "milky" scents like Alice and Sudha Segara don't last on me at all.

Note: I did manage to spill most of my bottle on my bathroom floor, where it promptly soaked into the tile and scented the room nicely for a month. Also, on a morning I wore this, the train conductor (female) asked me what I was wearing. She thought it was incredible. The only other time a random stranger has asked about my perfume, I was wearing The Candy Butcher. I should just accept that I need to wear the gourmand/foody scents.

In the bottle – Pineapple juice, I kid you not, that’s all it smells like to me

Wet on me – Condensed milk and washing powder and something really acrid, all topped off with a remaining wash of pineapple

Dry on me – Sour milk and dust :P

Overall – I’m gutted by this, but my skin chemistry just kills this blend for me

Yoghurt.

Biting yoghurt when wet. At this stage I'm actually okay with Milk Moon. It's a tart, not-too-sweet yoghurt with the grape and pomegranate giving it a fruity lift. It IS reminiscent of a cocktail like Pina Colada.

Then the dry down and it gets milkier. The tang of the yoghurt steps back and it's lactastic. This is where it loses me. My mind goes to very unsexy places when I smell this now, and it's not something I'm ever going to want to wear. :P

I can't keep this one on, I'm afraid. Dana O'Shee's milk note was more like a very faint dash of dessert cream. This is straight-from-the-udder. Definitely not for me. :D

In bottle: Immediately I get hit by sour milk and tropical fruit. Mango maybe, or pineapple?

Immediately on skin: This is an unusual sent… and very “tangy.” I can smell the milk, but it’s soured a bit by the grape and other fruit scents.

After a few minutes: This scent smells like warm milk mixed with passionfruit or pineapple and grape juice. It’s interesting but unfortunately horrible on me.

Later on: I had to wash this off... the combo was just wrong somehow. I can imagine how some people would love this though.

Edited by Delirium1009

Wet, it's incredibly juicy smelling. There's really no other way to describe it: very sweet and juicy, and the only notes I can really pick out are honey and grape. As it dries, the honey mellows out and there's this light, creamy undertone and I can pick out the fig, too. It stays on very light for several hours--not as long as some others I have (which I suspect is due to the milk, as those never seem to last all day on me) but long enough. It keeps me cheerful, though--it quickly became one of the scents I would wear when I was certain I would have a bad day at work and needed a boost. All in all, I'm glad I bought a bottle off of a friend on whom it didn't work out as well!

In the bottle: I got warm milk. With fruit and spice. It smelled like warm, whole milk all heated up right before it starts to burn a little bit. And I smell the fig...but not the pomegranate

Wet?: Yup, more milk. But a lot more fruit. And I can't pinpoint what kind of fruit it is, but its sooo lovely and sweet.

Dry?: It's another one of my comfort scents. Fruity, warm, it smells a little like...I know this is weird, but like someone else's skin. It's a very sweet, and light scent and it smells like milk, fruit, and I feel calm when wearing this scent. Definetly right up there with my All Souls bottle. :P

In the imp:

Light, creamy, and sweet.

Wet:

I swear I am smelling coconut! As it starts to dry down, though, my skin is amping the fig note.

Dry:

Mostly figs and cream. Very warm. Sweet but somehow not entirely foody. Yum yum!

Edited by n3m3sis42

One of my favorite moons -- yogurt smoothie and fruit; very prominent fig and pomegranate. There are few things I like better than fresh fig, and this smell captures the figgy goodness perfectly. As it dries, I see where the Pina Colada comparison comes from -- milk acquires a definite coconutey character. Still, delicious.

I'm pretty much going to copy and paste my original notes from when I first tried this, because that was also the last time I tried it and no way am I going to try it again. :P Let me just qualify this entire review by saying that I have never been able to tolerate pina coladas, either. They smell like vomit to me. So for those of you who do like the smell of pina coladas, this is probably a good blend for you. Anyway, here are my notes.

In the bottle: I sniffed this a couple of times before I could bring myself to try it on. It smells like milk and fruit juice, which is a somewhat sour combination. The first time I opened the bottle and sniffed, I actually felt queasy. Still, I knew when I ordered it that this was a gamble, so I finally just decided to get it over with.

Wet: Grape juice and now I can smell the pomegranate. Maybe I can just pretend that this is a fruit blend and forget about the milk? After all, the pomegranate and the honey were what convinced me to try this in the first place. But no, the milk is there. Sour, buttery, and somehow powdery. I feel queasy again.

Dry: My wrist smells...foul. Spoilt milk, or rancid butter or something. I envy those whose skin (and nose) make this a sweet, creamy delight. For me, it's a definite NO.

This does not like me. This does not like me at all.

I was a little hesitant to try it, to be honest, because of the milk, but I thought "nothing ventured, nothing gained". And I do like the other ingredients.

But the milk with the grape... not good on my skin. *shudders* It smells sickly and even the honey and fig and other notes of Glory can't fight their way through enough to save it.

Ah well, off to swaps with it, I think.

Smells like super sweet pineapple juice. I tried it twice and it's just not muh thing.

Edited by ivy_fiddlefox

:P I looooooooove teh Meeeeeeeelk Moon '07!!

In the bottle: At first sniff, I was a little unsure... it had a little... ummm... idunno to it.

Wet on der skin: More of the same... a little to sharp and robustly nose-bitingly something (pineapples and grapes... and something buhhh!)

And then... It started to mellow... BEAUTIFULLY, at about the 10 minute mark.

CREAMY, glorious, smooth... silky... This awesome white, languid, milky beauty blossomed into pure bliss for me!!

So give this one the old college try... don't take a whiff and put her away based on wet stage - the drydown payoff is RICH!

In bottle: Hm, odd milky sort of smell, topped with a smidge of fruitness... a milk-almond-unsteady sort of smell in the bottle, like White Rabbit wet but without the pepper.

On/wet: The milk is smacking the fruit to death, I think, with a whole basket of dry, raw almonds.

Drydown: Oooh, there's the fruit. The pomegranate, at least, which hits me as having the same sort of White-Rabbit-y ness that I caught earlier. There's the milk, warm, over crushed oats, the pomegranate and dry dry shattered almonds, and the faintly lingering sweetness of perfect, honey-sweet figs.

Final: It comes out as White Rabbit on me. Must buy more White Rabbit to feed my Milk Moon addiction...

I have both Milk Moons, they are both very special to me- the first I got while my son was a baby (and nursing) as my first bottle of BPAL and it has significance as a memory of his babyhood. The second I got while pregnant with #2 and had an aversion to scents so didn't try any BPAL (just bought!) until just recently after this baby was born (who is also nursing). Interestingly the differences are sorta like my kids.

Anyhow, on to the actual review- this Milk Moon is much more smoother and creamy than the first. I was never a big fan of the mint note in the first one, I think the second MM surpasses the original in my book. This is a true warm milk and honey scent with just a touch of fruity fig. More of a snuggly scent than the first, which had more spunk to it (with the mint). It's a very light scent on me, not overwhelming at all and fades quickly after about 30 minutes to a ghost of warm milky sweetness.

This was all rancid baby-vomit on me. So was 2005, though, so either I just don't like the milk note (although I love Dana O'Shee. . . ), my skin chemistry hates it or. . .something else. I'm not sure. I didn't like the smell in the bottle and once I put it on, all I could think was the smell of baby spit-up. Not a favorite.

All I got out of this blend was milk, sour milk. There was something boozy in there, too, but the milk note just hates me.

I admit that I didn't even try it on because I choked on the scent as I sniffed it in the bottle. Sadly it's not one for me, although I really did want to love this one. :P