Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Seajewel

Blackberry Moon 2022

A thorn-scratched stain of sweet purple-black pulp, a tangle of bright green leaves touched with amber and russet musk, a dribble of blackberry wine, and hints of green tea, Italian bergamot, patchouli root, and wild fig.

If you enjoy BPAL's blackberry note, do not pass this up. It is the star, for certain. Mine arrived today and I had to wear it - I know I smell things other than blackberry but it will take some settling for them to unjumble. I really really like it.

Seconded! There is a lot going on here and I love every bit of it. It's earthy, not too sweet, berry forward - kinda sparkly too, reminiscent of Purple Jelly Dildo. The amber and musk provide a nice complement to the purple-y berry/wine/fig combo. I'm not getting much green tea or bergamot, personally, although the green leaves were more pronounced in the wet phase and they may have been hiding some other notes.

Edited by LavenderCoffee

Rich, deep purple, juicy blackberry.

Tones of wine and bergamot soon start to develop in tandem. I get a few green tea whiffs early in, too, but they fade out. Juicy blackberry wine and bergamot.

In drydown, I find a few bramble-green leaves, too, and this becomes the scent of a memory... I'm 20, wandering an Oregon blackberry orchard with a friend, two buckets, and a jug of blackberry wine. We're on a mission to collect more berries, for more wine. Our buckets fill with berries, our bellies with wine. It's a time of beauty.

Much later, Blackberry Moon brings out little whiffs of fig and patchouli. They are pretty scant. I want to add a couple drops of patchouli EO to a bottle of this if I upgrade (when I upgrade) to see how that goes...

I agree with others --- this one is for devotees of the berry. I think it's reminding me most of Blackberry and Oudh... with a little of Painted Scars' blackberry wine splashed in.

love this! i've been on the hunt for a good blackberry-forward perfume, because i love the note but haven't been sold on the blends i've found it in. this is the blackberry i've been looking for. 

the blackberry comes storming out of the gate initially.  it's LOUD, deeply tart and sweetly juicy, maybe a hair of wine-ishness to it but more like a blackberry wine cooler, not really boozey at all to my nose. 

almost immediately it morphs into a wonderful blackberry musk with very strong support from amber, patchouli, and fig. to my nose, the amber is the powdery perfumey kind, and the patchouli is earthy, not overly woodsy. it's just a fantastic mix. i never picked up on any tea or bergamot, but i think they're all tangled up in the blackberry, keeping it bright. 

great throw and wear time, too. i put a little on before bed last night, and it was still going full steam when i got up this morning. 

Blackberry has a tendency to fail on me. Like a lot. It's high pitched and rather unpleasant but the musk and patchouli here is doing a good job of holding it down. Also, good news/bad news, it's sweet. Sweet, sweet, sweet. There's only a tiny bit of wine but it makes its presence felt. I feel like there's enough base to counteract the sweetness but your mileage may vary.

This is like blackberry wine flavored Kool-aid for adults served in mysterious thicket. Also someone is wearing patchouli. Not the gnarliest patchouli and not a lot, but it's There.

Edited by patina

When I first received this, this was all blackberry on me. An entire blackberry bush thrown in a woodchipper that was then soaked in blackberry wine. And I enjoyed that; it just wasn't an everyday wear kind of perfume and ended up getting passed up more often than not. But after a couple of weeks, it's become so much more complex. 

After settling, this is a blackberry musk with an absolutely divine patchouli. I also get the green tea and fig, maybe a smidge of bergamot's citrus edge; they seem to be adding to the freshness and fruitiness of the blackberry without taking over, just sort of complimenting. The amber is there as well, but in the background, propping up the blend as a whole. Once fully dry, the blackberry wine is more prominent, but it's still blackberry musk patchouli, albeit a slightly reined in patchouli. The throw is decent, medium wear time which fades to a whisper of blackberry.

On me, this comes dangerously close to grape Hubba Bubba, so it reminds me of good times in my childhood. As that foremost blackberry scent settles, the other notes add a nice complexity to the scent. I really enjoy it, but that gum-like association will likely keep me from buying a whole bottle.

In the decant and on application: all blackberries, all the time. Unfortunately, on my skin something intensely bittersweet and medicinal is coming out under the berry notes. As it wears, the scent softens and the patch and fig notes start to get more prominent. It's pleasant at this stage, but the early bitter and syrupy stages aren't quite working for me.

I'm generally not a fan of berry-forward scents, but I decided to swap for this one just to try it and because of the green tea.

This is blackberry wine dominant on me, which is backed by the red patchouli throughout wear. The patchouli isn't strong, but I still wish I were getting less of it. :P I'm not able to pick out the green tea, sadly. The fig is present, but it isn't nearly as strong as the blackberry wine on me. The amber and musk peek out later in the day, but they are not as strong as the blackberry wine or patch on me.

While this isn't for me, anyone who loves blackberry and patch should check this out.

In the Imp: Smells like some kinda purple candy.

Wet: Yep. Purple candy and... something odd?

Dry: This smells like aspirin crushed with grape kool-aid. Blech.

Not sure why this smells really awful on me. Normally, fruity things smell wonderful with my skin chemistry. But smelling this makes me want to scrub my tongue with a napkin, it's so close to the yucky fruity kid medicine of my youth. I was not expecting this to be so bad since the Sugar Plums are so amazing. Doh.

So purple in the imp. We're talking concord grape. On my skin it transforms instantly to blackberry, deep rich, with some wine-y aspects. A little glitter from the bergamot. As it dries it wants to veer into candy territory on me. The patch comes in and sort of grounds it, but it is a bit disjointed on me. 

On my skin I'm getting grape flavored Big League Chew, down to the white powder that coats that kinda old-school bubblegum. Surprisingly tasty but not what I was hoping for when I saw blackberry.

Blackberry Moon 2022 has vintage bpal vibes for me at first (the berry reminding me of the blackberry in Glasgow and kind of having a mellow, candied vibe like Jester).  I'm glad that the fresh, green notes that I was worried about don't show up at all on my skin (no tea, no bergamot, no green leaves) and the other notes (earthy patchouli, delicately sweet fig, musky amber) add a warm, earthy, perfumey base to the blackberry.  The berry turns more rich and wine-like over time and I'm still really loving the musky, ambered base and earthy tones.  The scent feels a bit mature to me, a bit vintage, deep and autumnal.