Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

sadly this one is not a hit for me. very much lemon, in a hot tea kind of way, a bit of peppermint and no marshmallow. 

the lemon is almost reading orange to me, and i swear i smell wood in this? 

it’s a bit nostalgic smelling for me, as when i was little my stepdad and i went and looked at a house that was for sale and it had recently been cleaned with and smelled of older wood and orange furniture polish. this smells a lot like that to me. i *almost* want to keep it purely for those feelings of nostalgia, but i don’t see myself wearing this one. 

When I first got this, fresh out of the mailbox, it was absurd and delicious - minty marshmallow with a hint of lemon. In the two weeks since I got it, it's gotten a LOT mintier - it doesn't smell like a cough drop, but it hits high up into the sinuses like cough drops do, if that makes sense. Almost like mint gum, but with a marshmallow element. That high pitch calms down with a little time, but I want to layer this with something a little sweeter. I bet this would go nicely with TKO...

This is weird!!! It’s like a minty lemon creme bleu cheese. I’m not sure why I’m getting the bleu cheese note but I am. Now don’t get me wrong - I like this! But it’s definitely - as the reviewer above called it - absurd! I’ll be interested to see how this is in a few weeks. 

I almost blind bottled this one, and then I decided to play it safe and grab a decant.

Out of the gate, I get creamy marshmallow, like the kind in Cabbage White Caterpillar and Apple Marshmallow hair glosses, accompanied by lemon and peppermint. The lemon and cool peppermint increase in strength as it sits on the skin, at one point becoming a little reminiscent of a cough drop, but then those notes settle down again and it's this floofy marshmallow scent accompanied by the zing of the lemon and the bracing peppermint. 

I'll need to slather this on and wear it as a scent of the day to be sure, but I may end up grabbing a bottle after all. I think it would be a great scent to wear when you're feeling ill or during the warm summer months. I know for sure I'll be pairing this with Cabbage White Caterpillar HG!

I was super super excited about this one ~ I would have preferred frozen lemons instead of boiled (to fit my ultimate scent fantasy from a day I was so so thirsty and had a bowl of frozen lemons and mint in the freezer and the ice slid out of the bowl and I like bit into it and it was full of ice cold water and smelled and tasted amazingggg ahahaa) - but whatevs. 

ANYWAYS - Back on topic: 

Since I got my decant of this I’ve had to wear it constantly, and I just can’t get enough of it.  Such is the problem with scents like these, which often fade quickly to the base note/s.  This does however, seem to linger much longer than other scents in this family.  

when I first put it on, it’s very cooling.  Like the mint in it actually creates a cooling sensation on my skin, as well as the gorgeous way the mint slowly creeps out into a billowing cloud with hints of the other notes that actually soothes me when I get migrainey. 

I don’t get lemons in this in any obvious way, but there is something that is present that adds that essence to it- maybe like someone expressed a lemon peel standing far away from you, or like the pith of a lemon - a very pale yellow.  

the marshmallow in this is absolutely perfect.  Not too sweet at all, and quite stretchy. 

the mint lays over top and it’s all quite soothing and cooling, and makes me want to fall asleep.  

It’s a bonus that my sheets smell amazing in the morning when I fall asleep with this on. 

im so happy with how strong and long lasting the mint is in this omggggg (while also not smelling like toothpaste or reminding me of anti mouse peppermint oil cotton balls) ~

I couldn't resist this one because it sounded like it might smell like one of my favorite local treats, Lemon Sticks! Sweet, minty, and lemony is such a nostalgia bomb for me. 

In the bottle, it smells weird. Like beeswax or some other animal product. But once one, it is a little minty and mostly marshmallowy, but almost no lemon. Pretty and pleasant but I was hoping for some more lemon. This is a soft, cozy scent, nice for days when you need something pretty and unchallenging. It will be nice for summer, too, and maybe will have more staying power when me and the air aren't so dry.

Ghosts at Aldershot smells like an early 20th-century try at making medicine taste better, or perhaps like the scent of something out of a vintage "curiously strong" Altoids tin (you know the one).

What I think is the "boiled" part of the scent reads as steamy and waxy and odd, and ultimately medicinal; it overlays lemon peppermint candy and a little gloopy marshmallow. There's also a metallic quality to the blend... which may be how the Altoids tin is coming to mind for me.

Quirky blend. For me, it's more for the experience than for the everyday.

Mental picture, pre-contact: Lemony tinted apparitions shooting marshmallow loaded cannons and nerf guns...spectral ectoplasmic marshmallow blooping, flying and disintegrating on contact. No noise. Just one of those "WTF am I looking at?" dreams.

Reality: yup still there. 

Edited by SophieCedar

I love this. Aggressive peppermint similar to the one in F It, Might as Well Lick It accompanied by a bit of candy-sweet lemon. I don't really get marshmallow.

eta: I do get a bit of the weirdness mentioned by other reviewers, but only well into wear and only if I stick my nose right where I originally applied.

Edited by a_bear

Ghosts at Aldershot is like walking into a haunted mansion and immediately being noticed by some dusty-ass Victorian ghosts who are absolutely incensed that I've disturbed their rest.  Their revenge is to lob waxy lemon-peppermint candies at my head until I flee the grounds.  So the whole scent comes off like an odd, waxy lemon-peppermint that never really quite melds together, with almost no marshmallow. It really does smell like a fistful of haunted candy, so old the wax wrappers have left their mark on it. But also, as Casablanca said above, the candy is steamy, waxy and metallic all at the same time - so it reads very much like weirdly medicinal candy drops.

I really really wanted to FS this, but it's weird going on, weird through dry down and weird in general. However, if this is your thing, you'll have a great time with this scent.

In the bottle and on application: The mint from Lick It with a citrus note on top which makes it oddly ethereal, and a layer of marshmallow underneath. It does smell watery and “boiled.” JFC, Beth. Honestly. You are amazing. HOW DO YOU MAKE SOMETHING SMELL BOILED, THIS IS WITCHCRAFT

The mint + citrus is reading as eucalyptus? I guess? A boiled eucalyptus cough drop? This is fucking weird. Not bad, just weird.

Lemony marshmallow floral. This one smells like it should be part of another collection. Sweet, florals. Medium throw and wear length.

Dessert mints! Those pillowy pastel fluffy dessert mints, the kind that come in pale pink and yellow and green! It's like sticking my nose into a bag of those!

Which...honestly, I weirdly kind of love it? It's nostalgic - my great-aunt always had a bowl of those mints around - and a little old-fashioned, and sweet and softly minty with a light whisper of candied citrus. I do agree that it almost doesn't seem like a Yule - more like a chilly pastel springtime morning. But I also just want to keep sniffing my arm!

Bottle sniff is weird.. I get that powdery marshmallow note, a little mint, a little lemon.  On my skin, I get the same. it's oddly good. The longer it's on, the more the boiled sugar smell comes thru. My nose isn't sure why these notes are together but it likes it.

The opening is a gorgeous take on boiled old school sweets, like the ones you find in the Williamsburg candy shop. Very evocative, lemon puffy mint marshmallow. Maybe Toot-Sweets smell like this with a bit of powdered sugar on top. I really dig this phase. Something goes wonky for a bit, but gratefully dries down to closer to what it was in the beginning, just softer. 

It kinda reminds me of Lemon Scented Sticky Bat, but that mint throws it for a complete time loop to the late 19h century. Crazy dude, I can see a man in suspenders and a beard selling sweets at the every-busy corner store bringing smiles to the neighborhood children. It reminds me of that scene in the comedy-western The Apple Dumpling Gang when Magnolia takes the kids to the general store for a couple sweets. So sit down with ur speckled ceramic cup of cowboy coffee and break out your Little House books and get ready to be transported to a time when boiled sweets made you the popular girl at school for the day.

Intruiging and unique. I recommend at least trying this before it goes away.  I'm at least keeping this damned decant. Cute, cute, cute.

Wow, the sniff from the bottle gives BIG lemon peppermint. Like, essential-oil strongth! Something sweet too, almost marshmallow floof but I've never met a marshmallow this strong either, it's like marshmallow's sturdy cousin Bertha. Curious how this will go on skin.

Once applied, the peppermint is 1000% winning. It's a sweetened peppermint, and still has a drop of lemon's bright kick in there, but it's minty minty peppermint. This is absolutely the kind of thing that used to pass for candy back in ye olden days, but now it's the last thing you eat from the stash of the Halloween candy, and that only because everything else is gone and it's slightly better than nothing. At least it's crunchy and leaves your mouth fresh and tingly!

I'm interested in the sweet poof of marshmallow that peeks its head out a bit, but I don't enjoy most peppermint-dominant scents, and that's definitely what Ghosts at Aldershot serves up for me.