Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ina Garten Davita

Centzon Totochtin

The Four Hundred divine rabbits of the Aztec pantheon that preside over parties and drunkenness. Bittersweet Mexican cocoa with rum, red wine, and a scent redolent of sacrificial blood.

Wet in imp - Cocoa, rum, red wine and a faint bloody tang.

Wet on skin - Cocoa and red wine! Very faint rum/blood.

Dry on skin - Cocoa, rum, a bloody tang and a faint red wine. Even with the cocoa, this is a more "masculine" scent to me.

Chocolate notes either disappear into thin air or are waaay to foody on me (except Candy Butcher, RIP...). This falls into the disappear category.

In the imp, it was rich cocoa with a hint of dark berries.

On, no chocolate or cocoa at all. Without looking at the notes, I smell tobacco, sandalwood, and nutella with a dark base. Yes, and a feel of vetiver. Once I peek at the notes, I think I am interpreting the rum, wine, and blood as nutella. Odd.

As it dries, this really changes. OMG, it is Blood Kiss exactly! Yup, that rich, winey/fruity blood scent with clove-like spices. Never had a BPAL scent clone another before, but Centzon Totochtin has uncannily become Blood Kiss on me.

In the Bottle

Bitter chocolate and rum.

On My Skin

This has a little bit of a spicy kick to it. I’m still getting the chocolate, rum, now the wine is coming through a touch, but instead of blood I’m smelling cinnamon.

After a Bit

I got a little bit on my sleave when I was applying this. The scent on my wrist became much lighter and developed a sweet powdery scent. However the bit on my sleave smells like wonderful boozy, chocolate with cinnamon and is still going strong 10 hours later. Wonderful!

Rating 1-5

Scent - 4 Throw - 3.5 Longevity – 4.5

Overall (not an average) – 4

Final thoughts

I really like this blend, it’s sexy, spicy and lasts a long time. Bottle worthy? Yes.

I think I've found my favorite BPAL scent. :P Centzon Totochtin!

In the imp and wet on my skin, it's very bitter chocolate and sweet booze with some smoky spice. Then it mellows into a smoooooooth, smoky sweetish incense-rum with a hint of bitter chocolate and blood tang. It's dark and rich and warm, and I can't resist just slathering myself in it. SO GOOD. I might have to buy a few bottles of this!

This is sooo worth a bottle.

It's a very sweet scent on me, but somehow not foody at all. Without looking at the scents, I would have guessed it had tonka in it. Maybe my nose contorts the cocoa a little bit.

I can pick out the tobacco and wine, which gives it a sexy edge, but most of the scent is fairly sweet and light.

It's definitely made it onto my bottle list on the first wear.

My first impression, opening the bottle of Centzon Totochtin, was of booze times ten... The red wine, a deep, dark burgundy colored wine, swirls around you, overwhelming everything else. That's how it is initally on my skin as well, but after a minute or two, it starts to go darker, become deeper.

I get no "chocolate" or "cocoa" sense from this at all, but I don't doubt that's what's causing this to be so deep and dark and rich and bittersweet...

Over the course of the day, it continued to get darker and smokier, but it stayed remarkably true to form... red wine with a swirl of darkness added.

Oddly, I really do like the way this smells... but it's too heavy for me to have on for long! My nose was exhausted at lunchtime, and by dinner I actually made an attempt to wash it off my skin (not that it really worked). I guess, like its notes, Centzon Totochtin is best taken in moderation... When I try this on next, I'm going to be sparing in its application.

I am soooo happy that someone kindly frimped this to me because otherwise I never would have tried it. I can't believe I almost missed this.

In the imp it smells like chocolate covered berries. Not cheap milk chocolate, but rich, dark, cocoa.

Once on the skin it becomes less foody and almost a bit smokey and spicy. It's a very sexy scent and imo, unisex.

I have to get a bottle asap because I don't think my imp will last long. :P

Edited by Femme_Fatale

The Scents on Toto's Chin are Bloody Drunken Rabbits? At least he let the munchkins alone.

Predominantly foody chocolate as opposed to boozy or bloody. When dry, it is cosy without being stuffy.

Not really my thing - but very very nice in its own way and that's saying a lot for a foody winey oil.

Edited by themerrybaker

in the imp: oh, holy CRAP that smells good- like chocolate covered fruit cordials without the yucky syrup that ruins the real ones. :D

wet on skin: more of the same. the wine comes through a bit more now, so it's like eating thivk dark chocolate and drinking rich blood-red wine. :D

dry down: a beautiful spicy blend of wine, dark chocolate and spice: totally. gorgeous.

in all: a fabulous, rich blend that manages to combine food elements without being foodie- a cross-over hit for sure, perfect for long winter nights in front of a crackling fire or out on the town. total love.

:P :D :D

rum again. and red wine, and blood, I finaly know what my death notes are. :P

cocoa doesn't help one bit, everything else is terrible on me, and I had my hopes up for this one. :D

Edited by milica

In bottle: They are not kidding about the wine, though the rum is present too. The cocoa has the dry bitterness of baker’s chocolate. It really does smell vaguely of old blood, though I think that’ an artifact of resin mixing with wine. It is rather rank and repellent. Wet: Much as in the bottle, though the mix is more even, the dried blood stronger and the wine weaker, evening the whole thing out. Dry: Startling in a good way. It settles into incensey goodness with cocoa and… claws. I know, claws isn’t a scent, but this reminds me of bloody claws, dry and vicious and attention grabbing. I do love the dry down, but I can’t handle the way it smells to get there. It does have decent throw and staying power if you like something chocolate and vaguely unnerving in a good way and are patiuent enough to wait for it to settle on your skin.

Imp: mmm..Aubelitas hot cocoa with dark red wine...yummy...

Wet: whoa, the blood scent is coming though...musky...interrupting my cocoa and wine experience...the rum is now coming though!! yay...

Dry: really rich and dark and nice...a keeper :P

Edited by Andrea912

To me this smells like two things...

1) what dried blood looks like. If that makes sense. Dark and dull red with some of it rubbing/flaking off, though not exactly powdery...

Sorry, kind of graphic. D:

2) really bitter chocolate

ETA: Or maybe if you want to be economical, it's the closest you'll (hopefully) ever get to drinking an alcoholic (?!) Mexican hot chocolate made NOT with milk, but BLOOD. Where is my evil laughter icon. oh: :P

There's a bit of a tang from the red wine ( :D ), and when wet on the skin the rum makes this very boozy. The most prominent note here is vetiver (good thing I've started liking vetiver though).

The strong vetiver working with the cocoa creates a really deep and dark scent: rich, spicy, and smoky, and it's making me think of a bar of 85% dark chocolate (the kind you can get at Trader Joe's). Not exactly foody, but I want to eat myself. But as with the chocolate, it's something to be appreciated sparingly, because it's very intense.

I wish I just went ahead and got a bottle. This is my first experience with anything "blood"-like, and now I'm very curious about trying out other blood+vetiver blends.

I'd go for a bottle when the imp runs out!

Edited by MisterShrapnel

Wow...

In the bottle and wet I can definitely smell the cocoa and booze. And it's not the nice fluffy baking cocoa we have either, this it serious stuff. As it dries, the wine starts to make more of an appearance and something else (the blood I'm guessing) comes more to the forefront.

oh! there's the blood! it's making my nose go all metallic and I'm resisting the urge to go look in the mirror and look to see if my nose is bleeding: it's that intense. (though, I've never smelled a BPAL blood before so give a newbie a break)

Not really my kind of scent but wow this is intense. :eek:

In the imp: Booze and cocoa and salt. Veeery interesting.

Wet: Yup, deep cocoa layered with rum and wine and that salty, bloody note. The boozy notes really sparkle in this scent. This is a sweet scent, but deep and spicy and thick. The salty note is subtle, but it tickles my nose when I take a sniff. This really is quite reminiscent of a bloody sacrifice. It really reminds me of the thick, strangely sweet smell of death - which is not to say this smells like an overripe corpse! It smells like death in a good way, if that makes any sense.

Dry: ACK. Unfortunately, all the notes amp like woah and this becomes crazy strong and sweet.

Frimp from the lab with the most recent order.

Imp: Dry cocoa, sweet salt and booze. Oh, so much booze. Wine scents don't usually work on me and I really doubt I'm going to like this.

Wet: Chocolate, a salty tang of blood, something that smells like dying flowers, and a strong alcoholic note. Insanely strong, insanely good throw... too bad I'm not diggin' it. There's definitely spice and something dry and leathery in the sillage as well. And some sort of wood note, too. Maybe vetiver?

Starting to dry: This is too strong, pungent and sort of "sour" smelling on me for me to let it dry completely down. The vetiver is whatever kind of vetiver that's in Highwayman and a few other things-- the one that doesn't work on me and smells faintly like burning vegetables and body odor. This would be great on someone whose skin chemistry likes wine and blood notes, but on me it's just too... prickly and off... to enjoy. Going to wash it off now.

I didn't look at the notes before I chose this, just remembered it coming up as a popular scent. I smelled the cocoa right away, and the metallic tang of blood behind it all, but it's been overwhelmed by the rum and particularly the wine - I'm amazed it doesn't go sour on me (must just be only certain booze notes), but the wine is really too strong - major throw for just one little swipe of the wand. In fact, it reminds me a rather lot of Blood Kiss, which I like, but can also get in your face. This one's destined for the swap box, I think.

In the imp: Mostly like a foodie scratch and sniff sticker.

Fresh on the skin: Sweet, some cocoa, some fruit? Definitely some booze. Still kind of like a scratch and sniff sticker.

15 minutes later: A little plasticky, a little spicy? Chocolate and wine. But fake.

25 minues later: Very fake. I think chocolates and well as cakes tend to be a bit problematic on me.

1 hour later: Fuzzy, sweet, a little cocoa, a little wine.

3 hours later: Fuzzy-dark-sweet, almost faded out.

Verdict: Not terrible, but not great. Off it goes.

One word: Fuzzy.

Centzon Totochtin absolutely does not work on me.

But it is an extremely interesting smell that I think some people would adore.

I get a lot of hazelnut, not really cocoa in this scent. That and upturned, fertile earth and definite splashes of rum. There is something a little Fenris Wolf/Wolfsbane about it, which should bring me over to the dark side but it doesn't quite sway me.

It smells like the wax my mum's beautician used to use on her, when I was small and I had to come along and sit in a chair being terribly bored, wondering why someone would want wax slathered on them and ripped off again. It's not a bad scent (she was very expensive, still is, because she uses such lovely, high quality products)

For an imp that's in my swap pile, it's pretty nice. I'd recommend giving it a go, it might be just the thing for you.

Plus the image of heaps of debauching bunnies it pretty awesome.

Sniffing the imp, this is bitter wine and cocoa.

Wet on my skin, it's still quite bitter, but the wine is replaced with a strong rum note mixed with cocoa. I also get a bit of a dirt note with this scent.

As it dries, the bitterness subsides. I think the blood note is beginning to sweeten the blend as it dries. Boozy chocolate is what I'm left with after it's fully dry.

Edited by angelicruin

This is the frimp that will not die! I figure that if I finally get off my lazy bum and review it, the CT frimps will stop coming.

In the imp and wet on my skin, it's surprisingly bitter. It almost smells like scorched cocoa or something along those lines. It's not sweet, and I don't get any wine or blood at all. It's waaay too bitter for me, sadly; as it dries it almost smells like cigarettes! Eek!

As I was going through my imps (to make room for new imps), I came across Centzon Totochtin. It was a frimp and I had no idea when I took a sample sniff what the notes were, I just knew that it made an awesome first impression!

Imp: Dark, dark cocoa and a gloriously rich floral note.

Wet: The floral faded instantly but the the cocoa scent held beautifully.

Dry down: There was a definite smokiness that was weird and intriguing. Not necessarily a scent I would have chosen to slather on, but I didn't hate it.

After about an hour: Perfectly subdued red wine with a slight hint of the floral that hit me so hard from the imp.

Verdict: It smells delicious and has lasted all day, but I can't imagine wearing it on a regular basis. It's not a very "me" scent, but I will definitely finish out the imp.

Not much to say about this one. I was really looking forward to trying this, and I probably would have gotten a bottle if I had gotten an imp earlier, but I got a bottle of Velvet Dogs Playing Poker with my last order and this smells really similar on my skin. I get coffee and cocoa early on, but just about 10 minutes in it dies down to a woody, smoky, unsweetened coffee smell, which is the same as what Dogs does. I guess if that ever becomes scarce, I can switch over to Centzon, but so long as I still have some, I really don't see a reason to get any more of this.

Wet, this is straight chocolate--very rich and dark, almost Nutella like at times. As it dries, the other notes come into the background to form a more perfume-y scent. Dry, the chocolate blooms and becomes less in-your-face, and the other notes, predominately red wine come out more as well, enveloping the chocolate. Nice, but not for me.

:eek:

Oooh I do not like this at all. This smells like a chocolate liquer with some coffee and something else not very nice.

It's kinda foody but not in a nice way at all. It's very bitter and strange.

Get it off get it off!!