Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ina Garten Davita

Centzon Totochtin

The Four Hundred divine rabbits of the Aztec pantheon that preside over parties and drunkenness. Bittersweet Mexican cocoa with rum, red wine, and a scent redolent of sacrificial blood.

In the imp: very dark bitter chocolate-and-coffee, rich but almost burnt-smelling.

On me, wet: very dark bitter chocolate, rich and cloying and dreadfully unhealthy.

On me, dry: oh, ugh, there's the wine. Sigh. I can still faintly smell that rich chocolate, but I cannot abide that red wine stale-booze smell, alas.

Verdict: swap pile, but man, I am surprised I don't hear more people rave about the initial scent of this.

Imp: Warm Chocolate, Like a baking brownie.

Wet on skin: A buttery coffee smell with a strong note of the wine's alcohol.

Dry: Dry cocoa and a fruity note, the alcohol burns off leaving a really interesting smell.

I probably won't wear this as a perfume but I know the imp will get used up in other ways!

Jenn

I quite like this. It reminds me of something they sell at the local health food store, called "energy nuggets": dense cubes of cocoa/carob, dried fruits, and sunflower seeds. This blend is smoky, spicy, and earthy, while still having fruit/food notes in it.

This was the first imp I tried. It smelled like Easter, to me...warm sunshine and mounds of candy, although there is a definite wine note, as well.

I do believe that these are the 400 divine CHOCOLATE rabbits of the Aztec pantheon.

This smells exactly like dark chocolate, we’re talking 85% cocoa content! It’s delicious, a true cocoa scent with rum mixed in. I don’t get the red wine and blood, however. This is one of the few scents that to my nose smells exactly the same in the vial as it does on my skin. The throw is amazing, too. I don’t know if I’d enjoy wearing this as a scent everyday but I’ll definitely use up the imp and be glad for the experience of trying it.

In imp: Drunken cocoa.

Wet: COCOA! I need to give those 400 drunken rabbits their cocoa NOW or they'll spray Enraged... oh, never mind. :P

Drydown: The very dry, yet vivid and insistent cocoa is underlain by bloody wine. The rum becomes more of a backdrop over time, and the interplay of the three notes is fascinating. The cocoa sweetens the wine, or is it vice versa? And deep beneath it is a metallic tang that gives the blend gravitas and keeps it from going 100% boozy/foody.

Conundrum: Is this groovier, or is Tezcatlipoca groovier? This is less fiery and more elegant.

First thought is cocoa AND red wine? I've gone and died and am sitting at the Pearly Gates in shock. I am loving this.

Wet - oh.my.gods. This is just.. I'm speechless. There's a bit of rum now, warm, sensual and makes you want more.

Dry - I get more booze now than cocoa. It's fur-ruffling, frightening fun drunken nights and delights, a dizzying blur of rum-wine-cocoa-rum-what is THAT?-more cocoa-wine-rum.

5 minutes later - sweet mocha, I'm still in love. Dusky cocoa, smooth - like a cigarette after sex.

Verdict: Keeper!!

In the bottle: Wine wine wine, with just a hint of cacao.

On skin: It's really hard not to compare this to Tezcatlipoca, for some reason. It's like Tez's younger sister, sweeter and more mellow. The cacao comes out more on my skin, though it's still a big winey party. It's surprisingly wearable despite the booziness. It doesn't have much throw on me at all, but it does have a good little bit of staying power.

I think we're all just grateful it doesn't actually smell like four hundred rabbits.

It's a keeper!

Whoa-oa-oa-oa!

*pant*

The bunnies, how they toy with me . . .

Yesterday afternoon: Centzon Totochtin in it’s imp is unfathomable – it smells dark and bitter but I couldn’t pick out a note. It somehow smelled . . . gritty. I continued, with trepidation.

Yesterday Afternoon a few moments later: Wet, it smells salty. I smell like salty peanuts. Like chocolate and wine, being buried in a huge deluge of dangerously salty peanuts. Weird.

Yesterday afternoon, a few minutes after a few moments: oh good Lord in heaven. Deep, dark wine, bitter cocoa, dark like espresso. Boozy, sweet and bitter, and darkdarkdark.

This is how the Rolling Stones song ‘Sympathy for the Devil’ should smell.

I love it. Thanks for the imp, Ahania!

In the imp and wet on my skin, Centzon Totochtin is pure chocolate! Oh, why can't Bliss smell this good on me? It's rich and smooth and I really, really want to lick my wrist. Drying, the rum and wine start to come through. I think the blood might be in the back somewhere. I love this and I really, really want a bottle.

In the Imp: Most people seem to get hit initially with the chocolate but it's all booze when I sniff it. A sweet, fruity booze (I know it's wine but it smells a lot more alcoholic) with a touch of cocoa in the background to smooth it out.

Wet on Skin: Yep it's all wine. All of the other notes seem to be getting sucked into my skin because the scent starts fading quickly as soon as it starts to dry.

Dry: Where did you go?! I can smell something on my skin but it's mostly alcohol. :P There's a faint, itsy bitsy amount of cocoa in the background so it just took a full circle back to how it smelled in the imp.

Sorry, bunnies, off to the swap pile!

Bottle--Chocolate and rum like whoa. No sweetness to this one, all bitter. I remember it was awesome on my former roommate, let's hope I have the same luck.

Wet--almost immediately the wine comes out and sweetens the chocolate, but there's something gritty there, something tangy. The sacrificial blood scent, I imagine. The rum is still there but only barely. That's fine, I like what I've got with the wine and dark chocolate. I smell good for the heart!

Drydown--Still that dark sweetness, mostly without the tang, but I'm ok with that. The only problem is that it has been only a few hours and the smell is now very faint. I only dabbed it on though, so we'll test its staying power again later. If it has decent staying and throw, I'm getting a bottle. This is delicious.

In the bottle: Like an Irish coffee! Chocolatey, but boozy.

Wet: Delicious cocoa! Very sweet, but not sugary-sweet. A more mature, deep sweetness. The red wine scent goes very well with it, like some kind of cocktail party mix.

Drydown: A bitter twang of blood starts becoming more noticeable once the sweetness of the chocolate starts dying down a little. It balances out well with the boozy scents, though.

Overall: I love this! I might have to get a bigger bottle in the future, it's so unique and I love that it has something to do with partying bunnies. :P

In the bottle: Oh my Lord! To me, I smell Hazelnuts and chocolate cake and cocoa. This is absolutely gorgeous.

*Proceeds to slather on*

Wet: Just as nice as in the bottle, I can seriously smell hazelnuts now though.

Dry: Just as good as earlier, but I can smell the wine note now. Chocolate, hazelnuts and wine: can't get much better than this! Bottle needs to be ordered as soon as possible!

My favourite BPAL by a mile.

First, let me say I'm not a foodie. I got the imp in a swap and gave it a try.

Wet: Serious cocoa or melted baker's chocolate. There is a sharp edge to the scent and no sweetness.

Dry: Aromatic with winey overtones, no sweetness.

Fading: Spicy and pleasant.

Conclusion: Not to my taste. :P

In the vial: maple syrupy. This one never morphed on me (and I was wishing it would). To me , wet and dry on me it smells like the aforementioned maple syrup with bourbon and tobacco in the mix. Incredible throw.

This on me is warm, comfy, caramel goodness that stays pretty true on drydown. fell in love with it upon 1st sniff, and am hesitating using it, because I tend to slather and ONLY :P have the one bottle-thank goodness it is GC!

In the imp cocoa. This is really weird scent on me. It smells like a chocolate cigar. I couldn't take it, i tried to wash it off. I am just not sure anything is supposed to smell like chocolate chewing tobacco. *shudders*

In the imp: mostly cocoa. A dry sort of cocoa, almost verging on carob.

On the wrist: The dryness is resolving into the rum. The right wrist gets a sweet tinge to it, which then turns into a scent I can’t describe, but is still dry. oN the left wrist it’s almost gone after about five minutes.

Half an hour: gone except for a scent of burnt cocoa and a touch of plastic which is I think what alcohol turns into on me.

When I read the description of this one, I had to have it, and it was the one I was most anticipating in my very first BPAL order (aside: I also gambeled and bought a full size bottle of O unsniffed. I wasn't disappointed :P ).

In the imp: bitter chocolate. totally unsweetened. baker's chocolate, cinnamon. dry, and very mexican (I know the taste of authentic mexican chocolate due to my upbringing; this is it).

On me, at first: I love it. It's so unusual. The scent begin to reveal cacao butter, what might actually be binding an actual piece of bitter, dark Mexican chocolate. The red wine is there. If you took bitter chocolate and red wine in a fondue pot and began to stir, this is what you would get.

On me, later: Centzon Totchtin mellows and the bitterness of the chocolate turns morphs into a cocoa/cacao butter/shea butter note...something oily and silky. The rum just thins the cocoa out a bit, as someone else wrote, like Tia Maria coffee/rum liquor.

This scent doesn't inspire me to orgiastic delight or give me images of hundreds of bunnies, but it is a stunner. Not sexy in a conventional way, but defitely arresting and I have been given compliments when wearing it. Lasts for hours and is unquestionably a unique scent amongst even the masterpieces of BPAL. I will consider a full size bottle, but I might just keep an imp on handy since I wouldn't want to wear out this unusual, evocative scent.

I'll edit this if it changes, but here is how it's gone so far:

In the imp and in the air it bowled me over with cocoa smell. I find that a bit bitter, as chocolate is one of the few things I'm not a food snob about. I actually prefer it sweet rather than bitter and dark.

On, however, it's gradually morphed into a spicy, ever so slightly boozy mocha, so I can see how many get coffee from it. As time goes on, I smell less of the cocoa and coffee and more of the rum and wine.

It's a very pleasant smell, although I don't know that I'm enough of a foodie to want to smell like this.

ETA: a few hours later, the blood smell is coming out. :P This reminds me of the morph that Crypt Queen went through, so I wonder if it's "blood accord". If so, I don't think I can do that note.

Edited by amyw

In the imp, my first sniff was cocoa. When I applied it, I got cocoa and tobacco, which I thought was strange, because I didn't see that listed in the ingredient list. Coming in strongly next was the boozy wine smell. The cocoa fades into the background and the oil turns into a fabulous musk and spicy scented, million dollar scent! This is my new favorite! I owe it all to a frimp that Puddin' sent with my order! :P

Note to self: Order 5 ml bottle

You know those little bottle shaped chocolates that are filled with a tiny bit of booze? Take one of the Malibu rum filled ones in your palm, close your fist and squeeze it until the chocolate and booze spurt through the foil and into your palm. Now raise said fist (still closed) right up to your nose and open your hand. Take a deep whiff. Centzon Totochtin smells 100% like that.

Rum, rum, rum - and the bittersweetness of dark chocolate. I do not get any coffee or wine whatsoever here. A very foody/boozy scent.

On me it is a very light and mild scent so I apply this in more liberal amounts. The imp won't last long but I don't see a big bottle of this in my future. Regardless, this is a great oil.

This was a frimp, so I looked up the description before trying it. The blood sounds a bit iffy, but the rest looks great!

In the vial: very rich and dark. I can smell cocoa, booze and yes, blood!

Wet on skin: bitter! Dark and powdery and bloody! The throw is sour wine and it's kind of unpleasant!

Dry on skin: yuck! The wine note is very sour on me, the cocoa is just dark, bitter powder, and the blood note is salty and off-putting. The cocoa note is the first to disappear. What's left still smells nasty. Definitely not for me!