Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Sweet brandy, dark rum, heavy cream, sugar, and a dash of nutmeg.

I was a bit concerned about this one, as my skin amps booze like whoa, but for some reason, it faded within five minutes. Before that, I could get the rum, cream and sugar and per usual, the rum overwhelmed everything else. Although that is probably the skin chemistry acting out. Anyway, it didn’t work on me at all.

This is for the 2010 version.

In the decant: Sure smells like a very rich eggnog. :)

Wet: More nutmeg than the other notes.

The dry-down: The brandy & rum, along with the cream and sugar, are struggling to overcome the stompy nutmeg. In RL it is a powerful spice and a little goes a long way; and it's the same in perfume oils as well, I see. But it is slowly getting there, moving along into the lovely eggnog scent.

2010 Version:

This is a rich, creamy scent on me. Lots of nutmeg in it too. Once completely dry though, it turns into a soft vanilla scent.

At first, this is very creamy, sweet eggnog. As it dries, it becomes more spicy, and less creamy, but there is still lots of sweetness here. So Eggnog on me ends up being a vanilla sweet, creamy, mostly nutmeg spice. This is very reminiscent of Mother Shubs Spiced Lait de Chevre, which I do have a couple of imps worth. I like cream blends on me, they work pretty well with my skin chemistry. This is very nice, not overbearing at all, and perfect for a very snowy day here. I don't need to hunt a bottle down, as I have a few imps of creamy blends that suit me very well.

Edited by milo

2010 version

Imp: Smells exactly like egg nog. Eggy, creamy, with sweet rum and a bit of nutmeg.

Wet: Creamy nutmeg

Dry: Huh. Smells like Beaver Moon '05 but with less spice.

Smells like a christmas candle. Not in a bad way, just not something I'd want to wear.

Does smell quite like eggnog, though not exactly. I definitely get the brandy/rum! Alas, although it's not listed, the vanilla here does do the scent in, for me. Just a biiiit too foody.

This is for the 2010 version.

In the bottle – Mmm, sweet egg nog.

Wet – The brandy is coming off much more strongly on my skin than in the imp.

Dry – Sweet warm cream with nutmeg. Yum!

Overall – A super yummy smell, smells EXACTLY like egg nog, but alas it fades in record time on my skin. If this actually lasted on my skin I would love it but it's gone almost as soon as it dries.

This is for the 2011 version. I am so glad this smells just like my old bottle, which I really loved and smelled like Lush's Snowcake soap. It's eggnog laced with a creamy, sweet almond, and it's light yet persistent. Perhaps my favorite holiday BPAL of all time.

I had such high hopes for this one, but alas it did not work for me :cry2:

in decant: smells like spicy creamy Eggnog!

wet: This starts off SO promising! on my skin, this instantly turns into rich creamy vanilla frosting! I don't know how or why, but it definitely morphs from Eggnog to frosting...

Dry: In the few minutes it took for this to dry, the rich creamy frosting scent faded away to leave me with the Play'doh scent! this is the first BPAL that has done this on my skin. It also seemed to absorb into my skin quickly, leaving barely any detectable scent other than a slight whif of play'doh.

Oh well, Glad I wanted for the decants! Creamy scents usually work well, so this was a surprise!

What can I say? This is warm, creamy and delicious. I definitely recognize that boozy sweet rum note also in Hot Buttered Rum melding with smooth vanilla cream dusted with a hint of nutmeg, one of my favorite spices if not my favorite because it has a certain slightly sweet warmth that doesn't venture into being overwhelmingly spicy like cinnamon can be on my skin. Love.

2011 -

Wet, it is boozey deliciousness.

Freshly on, it turns super-sweet, like store-bought white frosting.

Dry - cake batter.

Super-dry, vaguely sweet.

Well, it avoided going plastic on me like 2007's version, but overall it was way too sweet and not my thing. I think I'll layer my decant with Mad Sweeney, because this nog could use more booze!

this reminds me so much of snow white. it's kind of how i pictured yellow snowballs would smell. very creamy and slightly tangy. definitely have to re-test, but i like what i smell so far. :lol:

This lovely concotion suits me to a T! And that's a captial T! :kiss: I had ordered several of the Yules and was in a delirum with trying them out. The complaint here is the label which you need a high powered microscope to read. So tiny plus they used a burgandy/red ink for the word on a black ground. Someone was drinking to much eggnog in the design department I'd say, so that I wasn't sure which was which and had put Eggnog on not even knowing which one it was. As the day wore on I kept falling in love with it's sweet, comforting notes. Got the microscope out and identified it.

This one is for foodies and for winter comfort seekers, not for free flyers who lack sentiment. :whack:

Egg nog 2011

I waited forever for my decants and because i wanted the blackbear moon i decided to go ahead and order egg nog with it because i smelled last years version and loved it.

Now my decant came and i am scared that i ordered a whole bottle :eek:

In the vial: OK WHO STOLE MY ALCOHOL AND MY NUTMEG? :rantrave: No booze, nothing spicy but at least it smells delicious like cake batter :yum:

On my skin wet: Still cake batter

Drydown: OH CRAP! My little pony fresh out of the box aka plasticdoll aka playdoh!

Dry: Stays pretty plasticy.

After half an hour completely dry: Finally the spice peeks out a bit. Its not as plasticdolish anymore but also not what i expected.

Verdict: My friends egg nog from last year smelled like cookies on me so i hope it will age well and turn into spicy cake batter but for now i am pretty bummed that i went for a bottle. nothing ever went plastic on me. the smell reminds me of my childhood but i dont know if i want to smell like a my little pony :ack:

But seeing all the good reviews and the other person having the plastic problem having a decant as well makes me wonder if it maybe has to do with the decant not beeing mixed well and the booze and the spices beeing at the bottle bottom. i cant change it anymore that i have the bottle comming my way, so i just hope and see :huh?:

In the bottle update 02/11: Unfortunately the bottle is the same as the decant. this really teached me to wait for my decants before ordering. i will give it some aging time and if it isnt better around next xmas it has to go :cry2:

Edited by DahliaHayashi

2011: I really wish this one would work for me since I always imagined this one to be a creamy spice with a shot of rum, but the only thing about this blend that, to me, resembles egg nog is the nutmeg. This otherwise has a weird plasticky undertone that I cannot get past. It also has very little throw. On me, it goes even more plasticky. That warm nutmeg disappears in minutes. Oh well.

I really wish this one would work for me since I always imagined this one to be a creamy spice with a shot of rum, but the only thing about this blend that, to me, resembles egg nog is the nutmeg. This otherwise has a weird plasticky undertone that I cannot get past. It also has very little throw. On me, it goes even more plasticky. That warm nutmeg disappears in minutes. Oh well.

ETA: this is for the 2011 version.

In the decant: Yuppers, that's egg nog.

Wet: Egg nog with lots of brandy and rum.

The dry-down: Egg nog all the way. :) If this was the real thing, my family would love to drink it. As it is, I'll just wear it. ;)

Edited by thekittenkat

My 2011 imp is a decant from the lovely meaganola.

In the imp: Oil is clear and a very pale ivory, almost colorless. It smells exactly like a rich, creamy, luscious real eggnog.

On me, wet: I don't normally like foody perfumes, but I love eggnog, and this is so unique, realistic, and delicious that I can't help but adore it. I wouldn't wear it just anywhere (not for work or dressy occasions, for example), but I do love it and will enjoy wearing it at home or at casual events.

After 10 minutes: Darn, it has already lost the realism, the rum, and the creaminess. Now it's all plastic and nutmeg. Oh well. Never mind if my skin screws it up - that's what perfume lockets are for.

After 20 minutes: Same as above.

After 30 minutes: It's still plastic-y, but the brandy note is coming out which improves and warms the scent. I'm smelling a little vanilla as well. The nutmeg is still around, but not as strong as before.

After 2 hours: Mostly plastic, with some vanilla.

After 3 1/2 hours: Only a touch of vanilla remains.

Verdict: I won't wear this often enough to need a full bottle, but I will thoroughly enjoy the deliciousness of my imp. And I will buy more decants in the future, in any years it is available. I'll wear it in my scent locket rather than on my skin.

My rating: 5 stars

Egg Nog 2011

For me, this scent was accurate, if a little heavy on the booze. Unfortunately, something about dairy notes from the Lab just doesn't go quite right on my skin! That being said, this is truly eggnog, the kind you make at home... more of when it's warm on the stove instead of fresh out of the fridge, though, because of skin heat.

I'm not in love with this, but may keep a sniffie just for a pick-me-up.

2007 (very aged sample)

In bottle: Mmmmm….Egg nog. Very boozey egg nog. It's pretty much exactly as you'd expect from the notes. Wet: Brandy dominant with strong rum and sweet cream. The touch of nutmeg makes it perfect. If anything, it's richer and more distinct on the skin. Dry: My skin loves hard liquors and this scent is no different. The booze softens as it wears, so you end up with a gentler but still rich boozey cream with a touch of spice. Omnomnom.

2011 version: more creamy egg nog, with a lot less booze. I suspect it’s an aging thing.

Edited by Gwydion

When trying on forgotten Yule imps today (though this is the '11 version, I'm not THAT behind!), I wasn't expecting to find my perfect vanilla scent!

Imped it's a very realistic egg nog scent, if maybe a little watery. It was the same on my skin. Then it dried and turned into a lovely rich vanilla custard on me. If I sniff very closely I can get a faint whiff of nutmeg and brandy, but mostly it's delicious, creamy, yellow vanilla custard. The stay is wonderful too, I've had this scent on the back of my hand for 9 hours now, and while it's a gentle scent, it is most definitely still there!

I purchased a decant of Egg Nog mostly for the novelty factor; I didn't expect to fall in love with it. The smell of the vial was gorgeous, however - a boozy, creamy, spicy vanilla, realistic and intoxicating. Sadly, when applied, Egg Nog turned into a bland, plastic vanilla ice cream scent. The spice and booze are nowhere to be found. This is all the more crushing, because the smell of the vial made me realize that I really do need an Egg Nog scent, after all. Curse this scent, for raising my low expectations and then crushing them!

In the Imp (ITI): On first sniff, I get heavy cream and sugar. The following sniff exposes the brandy, but the other notes are absent.

Wet: Right off, it smells like cream and paper. After I sniff longer, it begins to share scent characteristics with Lush's Snowcake. I think it is the combination of sugar, cream and perhaps rum. This is not what I expected this scent to smell like.

Dry: It's very faint, but the scent is primarily composed of vanilla, just a little rum, and a dash of nutmeg. Honestly, it isn't the most offensive foody scent I've tested. It's not bad.