Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
sailthetethys

Bluebonnet

[No additional description provided.]

I haven't the faintest clue what a bluebonnet is supposed to smell like, so I can't tell you if this actually smells like a bluebonnet or not. To me this smells similar to the woodland phlox that used to grow in the forest near my childhood home, but with a note of fresh-cut grass. It's sweet and green and makes me think of picking wildflowers in late spring.

I love it.

I've never seen (or smelled) a Bluebonnet in the wild, but the single note is beautiful. I'm getting a watery blue floral and some of the green of the stem and leaves. I'm not good at describing floral notes, but this smells to me like if a less sweet honeysuckle was crossed with freesia. It's very pretty.

Bluebonnet is everything I hoped. Being a native Texan, I wanted to support the cause, but I also was hoping it might smell close to the Evening Stock single note, and it definitely does! Despite being a wildflower, the scent is more sophisticated than I would have imagined, and also more complex than I imagine a single note to be. It will definitely do for something to fill the hard to find Evening Stock single note, and even without the comparison it stands on its own for being a beautiful, sunny floral.

Watery blue and smells like bluebonnets and green stems. This smells very Spring-like, wildflowers and it's got a great throw. Very floral. It goes a little soapy on drydown but its gorgeous and springlike and very wildflowery.

No idea what an actual bluebonnet plant smells like, nor have I ever smelled it in a perfume. Excited to try it!

Wet: Oooh, lovely! Sweet (but not too sweet) with a lot of green to it. Very fresh. I feel like maybe I have actually smelled this, in something that I love - maybe just listed as "wildflowers"? Maybe Venus Verticordia? This somehow reminds me of that, but less green, and less honeyed. Anyway, this is very pretty. and I am digging it.

Dry: This is a soft, lovely scent. The floral is still a bit green, and almost slightly aquatic, in a clean way. Really beautiful, and it does remind me of the wildflower note in Venus V. Pretty! And for a great cause. I <3 the Lab.

ETA: So it's not very often that I revisit a review, but I wore this for the first time the other day (it finally being spring here in Canada - I mean, there's still ice on the ground in the woods, and it's bloody cold still, but we're making it work) and was so in love with it the whole time I had it on. Before that it was inches from the swap block, as I have way too many florals. But this is SO SO pretty, and has this sweet green note mixed in with the floral - hard to describe, but like the Lab's grass note only way better. Anyway, I wore this on a hike (my favourite moments of most days) and can see doing so often through the spring. It really is like spring in a bottle. Just felt the need to sing Bluebonnet's praises!

Edited by LizziesLuck

Credentials: First-ever order from BPAL (placed Aug 29 of this year, shipped Sep 6), first-ever perfume order from anywhere. Neophyte. Chose this simple floral as a somewhat selfish means of hurricane relief donation.

At first: A sweet, deep-throated wildflower nectar brushes against the biting spice of pollen.
But then: Uncloying, the nectar blooms and balances with the pollen.
After time: The posy’s depth fades but wilts not, ever true to itself.

Thematic analysis: My Texas friend (raised in the hill country near San Antonio) reports bluebonnets don’t smell like aught. Instead, this scent is what the honeybee detects–or represents the blossoms’ humid summer dreams, bonnets drooped down over drowsy blue eyes.

Overall: The pure, winsome nature of Single Note: Blue Bonnet does justice to the unflagging and hopeful people its proceeds intend to benefit.

Rating: 9.5 Texas National Guard Hum-Vs crashed and recovered after a joyride

Beautiful.

I've never smelled bluebonnet so I can't compare, but this smells like a watery blue wildflower to me.

It almost smells aquatic, but is primarily floral. In this one way it reminds me of blue musk: mostly floral to me, but leaning aquatic.

It has the wild part of the wildflower, too, where it smells like something a bee would crave.

Very glad I have this.

This really does plunging one's nose into a sweet, blue flower, nectar, stems, and all.

As it dries, I do start to get some of the watery floral vibe that others have mentioned.

And like LizziesLuck, I think it may have been one of the wildflowers found in the wonderful Venus Verticordia.

This is simply lovely. I'm not sure my decant will be enough. I'm going to try layering this with Wild Dandelion SN and pretend I'm in a field of wildflowers in the spring.

I grew up in north Texas, and used to wander around the woods, creeks, and fields near our home (all gone now--the area got developed, the woods were torn down, the fields plowed up, and even one of the creeks filled in to make room for more houses). Bluebonnets and Indian Paintbrushes were everywhere in the spring (it's hard for me to think of one without the other). They were very pretty, but actually neither one had that much of a scent, so I was curious to see what the Lab would come up with.

This is a lovely floral, soft and green, very much like wildflowers. Medium throw and stay, but very pretty. Perfect for spring.

So... super weird.

Wet, it's a very brash, green, leaf-y grassy scent with a touch of an airy, daisy-like floral.

On me at least, once I keep snorfling it, that recedes and I just get a ... fresh petal with loamy muddy dirt twang. Huh. Is it just me? Sappy muddy dirt with clear white petals. And pollen. What?

It's realistic... that's for sure!

Smells very fresh and clean, like spring flowers. It's uplifting and pretty. I've been reaching for it a lot just for daily wear by itself.

Where I'd wear it: Spring mornings

Decant from a lovely forumite.

The oil is clear and light yellow in color.

Oh. My. God. One whiff of the imp, and I immediately ordered a bottle even though I have already exceeded my BPAL budget for the month. I would order 10 bottles if I could. Seriously. This is going to be a short review because I am stunned speechless. It is indescribably beautiful, beyond gorgeous. It is my new absolute top favorite, a slot Rose has held uncontested for decades.

There's really nothing else that can be said for except for how long it lasts and how well it holds up on my skin.

On me, wet: The same as in the imp.

At 15 minutes: The scent is the teensiest bit less fresh and less strong, but still heavenly beyond words. It is a strong perfume, both up close and in the throw. Which is awesome, because it is impossible to get too much of this. It's sweet, and the epitome of girly.

At one hour, it is already going plastic. No problem. I can reapply or wear it in the scent locket to make it last longer. But for now, since I am testing, I'll leave it alone to see what happens next.

After another couple of hours, the plastic wears off to leave me with the gorgeous floral scent again, only powdery and very subtle now.

By 4 hours, it is mostly gone. But a very faint trace still remains and retains its gorgeous character 8 hours after application.

Verdict: 6 out of 6 stars, of course!

Edited by Ghost of a Rose

In bottle: Fresh-cut flower stalks. No particular floral smell, just a juicy green note.

Wet: At first mostly that green, fresh plant scent, but it quickly transforms into a lovely floral. It reminds me of daffodils or phlox more than anything else.

Dry: The scent continues with the gorgeous bright phlox/daffodil note. Unfortunately it doesn’t last very long; it’s entirely gone on me within two hours. 

A Texas springtime tradition! Not only pretty, bluebonnets have a close, powdery, sweet scent. This is that scent, along with green grasses and sunshine. It just screams spring!

This is beautiful! It starts out in the bottle and wet on skin as a cool, crisp floral very similar to carnation with green dewy leaves/grass. Gorgeous. It dries down to a scent more reminiscent of, yeah I agree, daffodil, hyacinth, or maybe tulip or hydrangea, somewhere around there, but with a purplish blue shade. It reminds me most of Grief, but I like this more! The only other BPAL I've tried with bluebonnet is The East, which while pleasant went dryer sheet on me. This stays floral and fresh without veering into that territory and I'm so glad! There is a short stage where if I get in close, I get a plastic, artificial vibe, but the throw doesn't carry it as much. This stage doesn't last forever thankfully. 

This is an amazing spring time floral. Plus it helps hurricane relief, so it's a win win. It's great on its own and I can't wait to layer it with Graveyard Dirt. I got hours and hours of decent sillage and lasting power when applied on the inner elbow. 

This might just be my favorite BPAL floral, and I don't say that lightly. ❤️

For fans of Grief, Slippery Poppy Tincture, Pele, Lady of Shalott, or Alkemia's Blue Ridge Skyline.

This one's all fresh, green, springlike florals. A little bit of powdery floral, but also the green note you'd get from a freshly cut stem. Very much a "spring" scent. If fresh florals are your thing, this is one to try.

This is a beautiful, clear floral scent. Some people have noted that bluebonnets don't really have a strong smell per se, which is interesting, because this scent is so cohesive and real. Someone above mentioned hydrangeas, and it's close to that for me, too. I can imagine a heretofore undiscovered fresh-cut flower smelling like this for sure. I'd love to know how this was made!

It is a teeny bit astringent right out of the gate; to me it has the same sort of sharpness and acidity that some tea rose scents do when wet. But once it's dry it sweetens up and calms down, and is a lovely floral. Very layerable, too -- I tried this with Arkham, which was a smidge to green for me, and it was quite nice.

I've no idea what genuine bluebonnets smell like, but this smells like a combination of dewy grass/green notes, hyacinth, and wildflowers to me. It's a beautiful ode to springtime and is more or less my HG hyacinth-adjacent scent.

I had no idea what Bluebonnets would smell like but I tried a decant and it's really lovely. It's hard to describe a floral really (at least to me it is) but I can say that it is lovely, not overpowering, almost with a sweet pea or plumeria undertone? It is really pleasant and I keep sniffing where I applied.