Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Twilight

An enigmatic, otherworldly scent, brimming with power and mystery. Lavender and jasmine, with a touch of glowing honeysuckle.

Wet: Mostly Lavender with something else in there. Stays that way on dry down at first. It reeks of soap.

Dry: I keep flipping between smelling soap and smelling something like honeysuckle. I think it’s the lavender that’s messing with me… after about an hour or so, however, it settles down and then it smells like a really heady floral – like flowers really early in the morning, right as twilight is turning into dawn. It seems more of a morning scent than a night scent. Really pretty.

Throw: I didn’t slather it on, and it stayed pretty strong for about five hours.

Overall: I don’t know if I want a full bottle of this stuff, but it’s really lovely once in a while.

If this is Twilight, it’s a warm, heavy summer night--crushed, sun-wilted grasses and the stillness caused by humidity. I get faint, faint honeysuckle and a bit of lavendar, carried on the slightest of breezes.

Given the strength of jasmine and honeysuckle as notes, I'm shocked that this blend is heavily dominated by lavender from start to finish. There's a little bit of honeysuckle/jasmine mix in the background (a la Eos), but this is really a lavender blend through and through.

lavender and jasmine- dear god, this is terrible. they feed off one another's power and combine into a monstrous creature, lavemine (jasender?), more terrifying than anything else known to man. the honeysuckle tries bravely to step in and tame the beast but jasender just eats it.

In the bottle: The individual notes are easily picked out - the lavender is particularly noticeable, but you can pick up the jasmine and honeysuckle too.

Wet: Lavender fades away, honeysuckle and jasmine dominate more.

Dry: Still getting a hint of the lavender, which comes across as almost a soap-like scent on my skin at times, but it eventually settled into mostly honeysuckle with the jasmine just in the background a couple of hours later.

Summary: I would definitely consider buying a bottle of this. For me, this would be a good scent to wear in the office, it's not too heavy or overpowering but doesn't fade away immediately either.

in the imp: lavender followed closely by rose. slightly medicinal.

wet on skin: lavender much stronger now, the honeysuckle just barely peeking in.

dry down: the honeysuckle comes out dramatically, and the lavender is more of an afterthought. the rose is distant in the mix, but adding something to it.

in all: a light, pretty floral, though personally not my thing.

::shrugs::

Imp: Lots of Jasmine. I'm worried about this because I amp Jasmine, and while I enjoy the scent, I'm looking for a floral that isn't all "JASMINE" on me.

Wet: A loud jangly discord of Jasmine and Lavender. I feel better, because I'm hoping the super-sharp lavender note (which I adore) will beat the Jasmine into submission. Although this stage disturbs me, it's a pleasurable disturbance.

Drydown: A moment of heady floral wonder. This is exactly what I'm looking for, but alas it doesn't last.

Dry: All jasmine. Sigh. Figures. My husband, interestingly enough, says this smells like a vacuum cleaner. I wonder where that scent memory comes from?

Best,

Tzi

straight sniff from imp is gorgeous lavender..

once applied it stays pretty much lavender but after awhile i get that touch of honeysuckle with it...

ironically "zero" jasmine which is so unusual because my skin absolutely amps that note...

this is a truly beautiful blend ... :P

In Vial: Smell the lavender and jasmine

On skin: Strongly floral. Smell mostly lavender and not much else.

Later:The only note I smell is jasmine, and very strong.

This, typically would have been the first BPAL oil I'd have gone for upon reading the description-- it sounds lovely, and the concept, oh yeah. I have no idea why it took me this bloody long to actually order some.

In the Bottle

Lavendar. Smells like a less severe and softer Yvaine (which does NOT stay like that on my skin, btw... Lavendar can be extraordinarily deceptive!) with a touch of lily or lilac. I'm expecting a soft, quiet, feminine blend with very little throw and a short life.

On Me

Oh, pretty. It's old-fashioned English loveliness, the type of perfume I'd have given to my grandmother.

Five minutes later: it morphs. Nope, not granny-niceness anymore, it's got an intensity now, and there's jasmine clawing its way to the surface over what I'm thinking might be lilac and the lavendar. And it smells so bloody familiar that it's driving me crazy.

I know what this reminds me of! It's classy, expensive jasmine, and a dead ringer for my mother's favourite perfume, Joy (which doesn't smell particularly nice on me). But what it does on my skin is what Joy does on my Mum: it smells divine.

Basically, it's an intoxicating, gorgeous dry jasmine, with excellent throw, and an amberish note coming through but without the sweetness. It's a perfume which means business-- it's feminine (though I am DYING to see how this would smell on a guy, to be honest), but not at all girly-- it's that sexy-confident-serious!feminine, the sort of thing which makes me think of Samantha off Sex and the City, but without the sleaze factor.

Yet it's also lovely and decidedly humble. I'd wear this in an instant to any kind of formal event: a wedding, a funeral, some kind of black tie function where I'm expected to look good and behave myself, but still want to be myself and not conform to current fashions-- this is an utterly timeless, and beautiful fragrance.

I've gotta say, I was wrong wrong WRONG about both the throw and the nature of this stuff. Once again I was decieved by the bottle. (Don't trust the bottles, people!) And even though my "I'm buying bottles of this stuff" list is massive, within about ten minutes of putting on Twilight, I knew it was joining the ranks.

Beth, you've outdone yourself, m'dear.

Imp: High grade lavender oil. I don't pick up any of the other notes, but this smells like this ridiculously expensive lavender they sell at my local aromatherapy shop.

Wet: Lavender and soap. Not lavender soap, but the jasmine seems to be disagreeing with me today and going a bit soapy. The honeysuckle appears shy.

Dry: Sweet, soft lavender. This is definitely an old fashioned, comfortable sort of scent. The lavender mellows into a lovely, soft soap/linen scent, the jasmine has almost disappeared and the honeysuckle adds a gentle sweetness to the entire thing.

Throw: Moderate.

Overall: I have spent years slathering lavender oil on myself before bed and so the scent association is a bit Pavlovian for me. This scent makes me feel a bit droopy and sleepy and I could definitely seeing this being a good thing to slap on my wrists before a good long night's sleep. If not for that association, I think this would be a beautiful scent for every day wear. It's comforting without wilting and it draws to mind the image of a woman who knows what she wants and is not going to take no for an answer.

Initially, when I opened up this imp, I was struck by the overwhelming chemical smell. A bit like a strong bathroom cleaner. But I hoped that once I placed a dab of this on my skin, it would dry down a bit. Wet, it was VERY overwhelming, I mean I LOVE strong perfume and having a perfume cloud follow me & while I LOVE Jasmine and Lavender, this one was very overpowering. Still.. I left it on hoping it dry down a bit further. After it's gone a bit dry, it smells very powdery (a bit like a strong lavender powder?) and I could still smell the little dab I placed on my wrist. I think if I mixed this with something a bit a more tame, maybe more sweet? I'd like it a lot better. I just could not get over how strong this was. It didn't mesh well with my skin. On further dry down, it went very plastic-y on my skin. Back to the drawing board for a lavender or jasmine fragrance that will love me back.

imp: blech! lavender and jasmine at their worst.

wet: jasmine hell. i mean it, this is the very worst that jasmine can smell on me. times ten. jasmine lovers with be in ecstacy though.

dry: this dries to a sharp, fresh lavender scent. not for me.

In the bottle: Strong lavender and honeysuckle

Wet, on me: Faint lavender and strong powdery honeysuckle

Dry, on me: Honeysuckle, honeysuckle, HONEYSUCKLE!!!!!! (psssst... lavender *gets clobbered by HONEYSUCKLE!!!! RARR!!!*)

Dry, half an hour later: HI MY NAME IS HONEYSUCKLE, HOW MAY I HONEYSUCKLE YOU TODAY?!

Too overpoweringly honeysuckle-y for my tastes, but relatively pleasant.

From an imp pack from my last order:

Imp: First I smell the Jasmine and then the

Lavender.

Wet On me: Now I smell both the jasmine and

the lavender, equally on me

Drying Down: Reminds me of summer jasmine

nights w/ hints of Lavender in the darkness and honeysuckle

peeping from around a corner.

Dry: Honeysuckle gets over its shynes and comes

out to join hands with jasmine and lavender and play ring

around the posey!

Throw/Stay: Nice. not to strong or too weak.

Just right.

This is definitely an old fashioned scent. Very nice. not sure bottle worthy

IN THE IMP: Cool lavender and sweet honeysuckle and jasmine.

WET: Turns sweeter. The lavender fades a little, and the honeysuckle and jasmine come out more.

DRY: Mostly honeysuckle and some jasmine. It's not bad, but it's not my thing.

In the imp: Jasmine and lavender! This bodes well.

Wet: JASMINE.

Dry: JASMINE.

So I've learned something about me and jasmine: while I like this lovely floral as a room scent or a candle scent, I really don't like it on my skin. At all.

I have a jasmine candle I'm really fond of, and I lvoe lavender, so I ordered this one in hopes that it would make me smell as pretty as my room. Unfortunately there's no lavender to speak of in this on my skin -- the jasmine gets amped to high heaven and covers over anything else. There wasn't even a whisper of honeysuckle near my wrist.

I ended up giving this to a friend, who ADORES it. It served her well -- now she's made her first BPAL order, which includes a 5ml of Twilight! :P

super floral! Something my stepmom might like... but if it will stop me seizures I'll have to get a huge bottle. I detect a sharp note of some sort... It's an interesting smell, like being in a flower shop.

Edited by systemaurora

At first, this was a high pitched, light scent, but on it deepened and became darker and richer. This is wandering into an old garden on a summer's evening, the air now cool and crisp and hugely refreshing after the heat of the day. Jasmine clambers over a crumbling statue and the breeze picks up the scent of the lavender behind it, winding the two scents around each other. Honeysuckle peeps through bright and creamy now and again. Delicious.

Gah! This is REALLY strong in the imp! @_@ I get the lavender and the jasmine and the honeysuckle, but it's kind of...too much of everything. Just an intense floral. Too intense for me in the imp, but maybe it will mellow on my skin...?

Hmm, no, on my skin it's like BAM HONEYSUCKLE (my least favorite of the three notes)-thankfully the honeysuckle moves to the background, but still, it's just too strong of a floral for me. I like lavender and I like jasmine in other lab blends, but they are just WAY too much together @_@ I think I need to wash this off before I get a headache...

This is almost identical to Somnus to me, only it's a bit sharper, and lasts longer. (I think I like this a bit better) I woke up this morning and I stilled smelled of it quite strongly. Not sure if it was Twilight, but I was pretty stressed last night, and I was probably asleep within a half hour. Very lavendery to me, great for bedtime.

Nah. I thought this might be really nice because I love all the notes in this one. But it is not to be. All it does is turn to soap, the generic soap your teacher used to buy in bags of 12 to use in crafts. A weird mixture of jasmine and honeysuckle.