Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Immersed in his (eternal) life’s work, holding on to his memories, suffused with a love of life and literature, Kit’s scent is soft and dry as bone: Mysore sandalwood, a tattered and patched 16th century waistcoat, inkstained, still scented with the marjoram and benzoin dry perfumes of his youth.

Kit smells like flour and powdery sandalwood with a hint of nuts (hazelnuts?) in the background, I don't get the majoram. Sweet and somewhat foody it reminds me of L'Artisan Parfumeur Bois Farine.

In the decanted imp: Oddly, this does not smell particularly dry to me. I get sandalwood, but something that at first strikes me as fruity, and then as a syrupy floral (like gardenia or honeysuckle). Not what I was expecting. Maybe it's the marjoram?

Wet on skin: Much sweeter than I expected. It's almost immediately quite traditionally "perfumey" and the immediate throw is pretty intense. The sandalwood is very strong and incense-like.

Early dry down (15-30 minutes): The throw on this actually gathers steam as it starts to dry down on me. The "dry" begins to come out as the sandalwood develops a powdery quality, and the scent that originally struck me as fruity/floral amps an almost crazy amount on me and is now quite floral. It's not a floral I recognize, however, it's sweet, high, a little syrupy and in the sneeze-inducing family for me. My overall impression is that either I have a mislabeled imp, or marjoram does very odd things on my skin!

Late dry down (1 hour+): This finally starts to mellow after about an hour and becomes a more traditional sandalwood based scent. It's powdery, and a little dry, with a touch of sweet resin base from the benzoin. It maintains a faint floral quality on me.

Final verdict: I think this is probably a beautiful blend, but it's just very much not me. It's too traditional, and smells to much like "perfume". It actually reminds me of traditional, alcohol based perfumes with sandalwood bases than it does most bpal. It sort of smells like the perfume you smell on someone in an elevator.

Reminds me of: Gaueko, Kathmandu (but these are a stretch -- really it smells like fully dried down Opium or Samsara or something to me)

I ordered a decant of this because my boyfriend was interested in this scent. I didn't expect to like it...but I absolutely adore Kit.

The first thing to hit my nose is the creaminess of what I believe is the benzoin (but perhaps it is the type of sandalwood). I thought this would be a dry sandalwood scent on my skin, but that is not the case. This is such a soft, comforting scent (like being enveloped in a warm, fuzzy blanket). :wub2: Once dry, the 'dry' aspect mentioned in the scent description emerges, and it is a stays rather close to the skin.

The decant is already gone, and I'm so glad that I own a bottle. However, a back-up bottle will be necessary... I am in love.

Edited by dementia_divine

Kit is another steampunk blend to me. It smells like sandalwood and benzoin with a heavy dose of ink. It's masculine, steampunky, and very cavalier.

Kit was a lot of fun, even if we're not the type to keep company with one another after this particular instance. It was fun while it lasted though and I'll have fond memories of the encounter.

Sandalwood and benzoin, so comforting and warm. A plush, soft blend. I feel like there's something foody as well...almond butter or peanut butter! I have the hardest time describing this one, out of the entire collection. It's gentle, yet resilient.

I don't really know what benzoin smells like, but after spilling a huge drop of Kit into the speakers of my cell phone 3 weeks ago I can thoroughly say that I adore this scent. And yes, my phone still smells like it. It's this syrupy, sweet, wonderfully deep sandalwood that isn't at all dry. I'm not the best at describing scents, but this one is remarkably and wonderfully simple to me. Love!

In Bottle: Strong Sandalwood sweetened by benzoin. The ink and favric go really well with the dominant notes and are easily picked out. The marjoram is a delicate bridge tying the other notes together. This is beautifully formulated and well suited to it’s concept. Wet: Smoother on the skin. The ink really comes into it’s own in support of the dominant sandalwood. The benzoin pulls back to dance with the marjoram. The waistcoat is a soft background. Dry: Sandalwood and benzoin, with the ghost of ink.

Like all the other OLLA scents, this is smooth, sophisticated, and seamlessly blended. The benzoin and sandalwood balance each other quite beautifully, and whatever is providing that hint of faintly-marjoram-scented waistcoat, its softness keeps everything from smelling too dry. Kit is cozy, and not aggressively masculine. He's very wearable.

Wet: Beautiful benzoin goodness! Cozy, herb-tinged sandalwood misted with a slightly sweet, benzoin-based cologne. Reminiscent of the dry phase of Black Annis.

Drydown: Creamy with a tingly softness and a greenish-bronze je ne sais quoi. (Sidebar for those that hate civet: If you’ve ever wondered why people love civet, it’s because when it works it smells very much like this. To my nose, anyway!) Wearing this scent makes me feel more confident, more Alpha. In fact, I daresay it should come with its own Mantra:

“I am strong, I am capable, and I am oh-so sexy. I’ve been there, I’ve survived, and I’m far more badass for it. Everybody wants me; They just don’t know it yet.

Dry: Oh, Kit, what are you doing? I am sad to report that the dreaded Playdoh makes an appearance in the dry phase. I go from planning many bottle purchases to whimpering like a lost puppy. le sad.

7.5 out of 10 bones

Edited by BoneBone24

The sandalwood and benzoin are doing something to my skin that make this create a scent that is nauseating to my stomach. It works on my skin...but not in my head...and nose. Not a fan. Sadly...:(

dry woods, ink, soft benzoin, a hint of dried herbs. i wasn't sure what to think when i first sniffed kit, and this scent is fairly unique… but it may be in a family with things like dee (minus the leather), maybe even the lurid library as there is something here (maybe it is the sandalwood, or whatever notes comprise the "waistcoat") that makes me think of paper. the marjoram is maybe a little sharp, on top of the soft dusty feel of the other notes, but it works.

i like this very much and kit has a place in my collection for sure!

Sweetened sandalwood, with what I'm assuming is the benzoin. This is a much sweeter So Below, even though the notes are not similar. I can see this being really popular, it's got this foody vibe going, but tempered by the herbs and sandalwood. It kind of reminds me of other blends that are foody with a twist of something that tempers it. Inez, Storyville and Underpants. I'd say they have the same vibe, but not a ringer or anything like that. For me, it is just a little bit too sweet, but I can see a lot of people really liking this blend.

This comes off as slightly sweet Sandalwood with the Ink darkening the blend. Not dark = scary but dark = comforting, if that makes sense. I know what Marjoram smells like from cooking with it and I'm certainly getting it in Kit; just a little bit peeking out.

This has a similar vibe to some of the Steamworks scents, especially Antikythera Mechanism. Even though AM and Kit share no notes I can't help but think of AM when I sniff this. They don't smell the same but they do share that vibe.

Overall a cuddly and comforting scent like being wrapped up in a warm, plush blanket.

Another winner from the OLLA series. :lovestruck:

creamy dreamy sandalwood...with a hint of vanilla and something almost orange. I adore kit, but can't describe it in a way that does it any justice. it's one of my favorite bpals, and I broke my "no backups" rule for this one. beautiful soft sensual kit. a favorite scent in a favorite collection.

eta today I wore kit again. kit is total magic. instantly restores brilliance and beauty during those times when the craziness of the world gets too overwhelming.

Edited by annemathematics

The opening of Kit to me smells just like a painter's studio.

the drydown is totally Al Azif/ Kubla Khan.

It's beautiful. Words can't really describe it. The wet stage kills me.

Finally, thanks to stellamaris' review, I think I've pinned down what Kit reminds me of: Al Azif. I get a certain almond-ish quality from both of them. There's a tiny bit of similarity to Defututa, which I suppose must be the sandalwood. On me, Kit is very foody above all else, kind of like how I imagine it would be if I were eating almond cookies in that cafe in Tangier from the movie. As I'm learning, benzoin is a note that my skin likes to amp and I guess it's stomping out the dry notes. I like Kit but I'm surprised that he's so sweet.

The sandalwood and benzoin are doing something to my skin that make this create a scent that is nauseating to my stomach. It works on my skin...but not in my head...and nose. Not a fan. Sadly...:(

This is pretty much my review too. I love sandalwood and had high hopes this would be the one to finally smell like sandalwood but its just a musty jumble of dust and benzoin.

On first sniff from the bottle, the one word that came to mind was “Old.” I know that’s probably not very helpful, but this oil really does convey the sense of something that has been around for a very long time, since the 16th century.

It’s very dry sandalwood, with a vanillic sweetness from the benzoin. I’m reminded of old, sun-warmed wood: an old house with wood floors warmed by sunlight coming in through the windows. Like porcelina, I smell paper in this; before I checked the notes, I expected there to be parchment in Kit, as well as ink.

I bought my bottle a year ago and have worn it pretty regularly. Kit is a blend that works year-round for me.

Apparently benzoin is my catnip. I honestly cannot tell what is in this other than to me, on a day where I am extremely anxious Kit is my comfort. I got an imp gifted to me of him which I believe was aged a bit more than the bottle I have now. It's deep, creamy and a different kind of leather than Ian. Where Ian smells like a leather jacket to me, Kit smells like I've walked into the past and am wearing something soft and had spent the night in a room with wood. I'm bad at this I know but I love kit. Sandalwood, check. Benzoin (I have no idea what this smells like but EVERY scent that I have with it in I go crazy for) check. Perfectly nailing the character from the film? Check. What I most want to say is he's warm and comforting. If you're having a stressful day or have anxiety try and give him a hug.

Powdery, warm, sweet (almost caramel-like) benzoin and sandalwood. Dries down like dusty, warm, sun-baked wood and hints of sweet benzoin. Kit sits very close to the skin and doesn't have much throw or staying power on me, but is a pleasant sandalwood and benzoin mix. I don't get the herbs or ink that others have mentioned, but sandalwood usually overtakes other notes on my skin.

On me, Kit opens with a warm vanilla sandalwood, vanilla attributed to the benzoin. Sometimes sweet scents with sandalwood make me queasy, maybe it's too much too sweet too fast- not sure. I am so in love with this scent though. Next, I get the warm and tattered waistcoat. Old and softly antiqued, washed over lightly by ink- also one of my favorite scents of all time. Anything else I don't think I can differentiate enough to pick out, but MY STARS this is one of my favorite blends of all time. It's so unusual and unique. Between the waistcoat, ink, and benzoin, I have found one of my ultimate comfort blends. It wears very strongly on me, all day. I'll be ordering another before they're all out! I can't even describe Kit in good justice.

ETA: it does smell very 'old.' It's incredible.

Edited by Bassmastadroog

Snagged Kit during the re-release, and I’m glad I did. I’ll probably buy a second bottle so my boyfriend and I can each have one.

Kit is cozy and warm and full of memories over a long life. It literally smells like the life of the mind, and a well-lived one at that.

On me, Kit is mostly a soft, woody (but not pencil-shavings!) fragrance. It’s the feeling of an older gentleman up late at night at his writing desk in a packed-to-the-brim, dimly-lit home library. Honestly, I don’t know how to describe the blend outside the feelings it elicits... which is snuggly—like being wrapped in a cozy sherpa blanket.

Lovely.

In The Bottle: Ridiculously gorgeous sandalwood/benzoin combination right out of the gate. If it doesn't morph at all, I'll be quite happy as is. If it shifts during dry-down, I'll be even happier, I suspect...

Wet On Skin: The benzoin's resin-y / vanilla-y vibe is coming out more, bringing the sandalwood into further balance whilst it warms on my skin.

Dry Down: Gorgeous, dry sandalwood mingling beautifully with the benzoin, and just a tiny peek at the end of the ink note I recall so fondly from India Ink SN. It's really a lovely scent, and perfect for the character of Hal. Comforting and friendly and enduring.

This bottle is from the original release. Well, this is quite dry! Up front I get a lot of sandalwood and marjoram. Dry, woody, and a bit spicy-green from the marjoram. Very powdery wet. As it dries the ink comes out, as does the vanillic benzoin, taming the woodiness. Still a dry, powdery scent, but in a less harsh way. There is a warmth here. Very wistful, nostalgic and ancient.

This is from the re-release

Wet: Sandalwood and...bananas? NO! Wood varnish. No, bananas was closer....WTF AM I SMELLING? I think it's the combo of benzoin and ink, both familiar but combining to be so unique on me. I am not at all sure how I feel about it, but I tell ya I have not smelled a thing like it.

Dry: I think mostly sweet benzoin with hints of sandalwood. Quite nice! Not what I was expecting - though I am not sure what I was expecting. It's quite unique still but at least identifiable now (no bananas, ha ha). I will see how it ages. Not sure I would wear it, but I'll keep my decant in a bottle for hoarding....erm, I mean collecting purposes. :D