Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
absinthetics

Alcie

Just a hint of gorgon blood: bright nectarine, honey, sandalwood, green musk, sea buckthorn berry, and oakmoss.

This scent is a beautiful fruity but somehow earthy scent. It has a very far throw. The sandalwood is very present while the buckthorn berry turns the nectarine a little bitter. But not in a bad way! I recommend at least getting to sniff all the Pandy scents. They are lovely!

I have trouble picking out the notes in this, but basically it is very clean, (but not soapy,) and green. A bit too fresh for my taste, but the good news is that I can't smell the honey so far. Honey does not like me, but it is behaving in this blend.

This is really pretty.

When wet I got a blast of bright, sweet nectarine followed by damp greenery, like walking through tall shrubs just after a quick rain shower.

Once it has dried it has a fresh green backnote which I'm guessing is oakmoss, although to me it's reading as ivy or laurel, and then an almost bitter floral, but in a good way. I don't get any sandalwood, nor honey, and I usually amp both of those. I might actually consider a bottle of this.

OnSkin: Mmmm… wet, it smells like my Pomeranian fresh from the groomers, which is a GOOD thing! All warm fluffy fur, clean sweetness, and Happy Doggie Kisses. It's green & fruity & sweet & warm. It's well-blended. Individual sandalwood & musk notes don't stick out. Instead, there is a soft, sweet warmth as if I buried my nose in Lucy's fur and inhaled the scent of her clean skin. I can't pick out the individual fruits, but there is a juicy green scent, like when Lucy bursts out of the groomer's front door and rolls with delight in the dewy grass. This is beautiful, and I think it might be love! Waiting for drydown...

An hour later, this oil has stayed true to itself. It is sweet, soft, steady and warm. A comforting scent. Lucy has curled up next to me, sleeping peacefully.

Edited by zeldaZ4

In bottle: Nectarine dominant, but with a strong sea buckthorn and oakmoss presence. I’d call sandalwood and green musk at third, with honey smoothing the whole thing out. It is very beach after storm. Wet: sea buckthorn berry dominant, with the nectarine brightening it’s affect. The oakmoss is still second and blends beautifully with the buckthorn, and green musk a close third. The other elements are soft, but noticeable. I normally amp citrus, but here it plays really well with everything else. Similarly, I often have trouble with ocean scents, but I can just manage it here. This is lovely and really well designed. I can’t shake that beach comber after a storm in early fall feeling when sniffing it. Dry: Mostly sea buckthorn berry with musk, oakmoss, and sandalwood.

This smells *exactly* like Ebisu Making Love As Two Octopuses Look On (which is musk, nectarine and oakmoss). It's like a cool, green, slightly powdery musk with a burst of juicy nectarine (even dries down slightly peach-y like Ebisu) and an overall sweet, cologne-y vibe. It has a clean skin and sweet men's cologne feel, but I think that it's sweet enough to be a clean unisex blend.

Trying these side-by-side, Alcie is identical to Ebisu on my skin. It's like the same fragrance in a new bottle.

This is an oceanic floral on me, very smooth, slightly salty, rather green. Long wear on this, and lots of throw. While the seamoss and sea buckthorn berry, and maybe the green musk were really groovy for a few hours, eventually it took on more of a perfumey note (probably the sandalwood, which is what it does on me) that started to bother me, so I won't be keeping this one.

Well this was nothing like I expected! I don't get nectarine at all. It's definitely an aquatic. I think a deep blue-green - with mermaids. It's a soft and gentle aquatic and yet somehow still deep (maybe a little earthy like a pp mentioned). I'm not big on aquatics, but of all the ones I've tried, this is way up their. Really beautiful, almost haunting.

I can see this being unisex, but then again, I find most aquatics to be unisex.

In bottle: this blend kind of hits almost every feminine scent family: it's fruity, it's floral, it's green, and a dash of soapiness for good measure. Nectarine and green musk, plus oakmoss to reign it in a bit. There is no noticeable change one month on.

Wet on skin: a green nectarine blend, almost boozy, but also soapy...quite soapy. There's a hint of a berry scent as well. As it dries, it gets a definite aquatic feel...sea buckthorn berry, is that you?

Dry: this doesn't change so much from the wet phase, other than a slight softening of the fruitiness. It's definitely a soapy aquatic green blend. Also, quite interestingly, I'm getting that same grandmothery/oily note that orris and some white musks devolve into.

Verdict: This would be a beautiful green blend, were it not for the soapiness. It was quite apparent in the bottle for me, and never really went away.

Fresh fruit, with a bit of fresh greenery and musk at first. Dries to a bright nectarine, quite sweet. I wish the greenery and musk stuck around, but right now, it's just a ripe nectarine, and not very realistic, more like peach nectar. Not really my thing, it's a bit too fruity.

OMG, Ebisu you are back! I amp up the nectarine and the oakmoss... except sweeter because of the honey, and I get more of the sandalwood with some musk peeking through.

But yes, whoever said that this is Ebisu is right. Except its more of a female Ebisu. Softer, sweeter, gentler.

I enjoyed Ebisu, so I enjoy Alcie. I used to have a partial of Ebisu, and this is a pretty close dupe to it.

i have such mixed feelings on this! it is a very clean, fresh scent, which i tend to steer clear of (for the most part), but i have fallen in love with oakmoss and bpal's nectarine note, so i had to try this one. at first it's straight up nectarine, i couldn't tell it apart from ebisu, however once the scent sinks in the backing notes come through, and the oakmoss in this is just gorgeous. bpal's oakmoss smells amazing on me for some reason. it's really addictive, and when it's an obvious note like this, i tend to love the scent. the longer this stays on, the more i am loving it, despite the sweetness of the berry. this scent is very wet and green, and i think, perfect for summer on a hot and sunny day.

Not what I was expecting! I get a lot of sweet ocean aquatic and honey - it's very clean and fresh smelling, though, and the nectarine notes are very playful on the drydown.

This one surprised me the most of the Pandora's. It's a nice nectarine and green musk scent, thankfully the honey isn't very apparent in this. The only downside is that the moss amps when it dries down and the whole thing goes a bit sour.

I like this scent a lot. It's very clean and bright smelling to me. I'm not getting any sweetness at all. I definitely can't smell the honey note.

I know at least one person described it as warm, but to me it just smells cool and aquatic. I'm female, but I definitely think this one would smell very nice on a man.

It's really lovely.

ITI: It's rather light in the bottle. I get green musk and sea buckthorn berry.

Wet: Bright, green and clean. I get green musk and light nectarines along with buckthorn berry. I'm really enjoying the clean greenness of the scent.

Dry: Nectarine zest, green musk, light oakmoss, and buckthorn berry. I really like the green quality of this scent that stays true from first sniff to the dry down.

In the decant: Nectarine and something else I can't quite identify, but it's wet and fresh and kind of green. It doesn't quite smell like my usual experience with oakmoss, but it could be a mix of that and the green musk.

On skin, wet: Pretty much the same as in the decant.

On skin, dry: Something a little bit powdery is lurking in the background now--from the lack of amber in the notes I have to assume it's the sandalwood--but on the whole it's still very much a fruity/green/wet kind of scent.

After an hour: The powdery note does get a littlw stronger, but not enough to really detract from the main scent. I've never smelled anything quite like this! Definitely going to give it another test, it's been a very pleasant surprise.

Recently procured decant. First skin test was predominantly bright nectarine, sea buckthorn berry, and oakmoss with a touch of fresh musk. It all blends together for a very clean scent. Almost preppy smelling. Second skin test was not as heavy on the nectarine and more oceany-aquatic. I suppose the right guy could carry this off as its very clean smelling but it is still girly. I actually like it a lot as it is very different than my usual foody scents. It has been driving me nuts that it smells almost exactly like something else, and I finally figured out it's Jo Malone Necatrine Blossom & Honey. I really like it but I'm sticking with Mare Necartis for my light fruity/musky niche for now!

In the bottle, this is a beautiful fruity aquatic.

On my wrists, it smells exactly like a Garnier shampoo that I used to use. And it doesn't seem to be morphing.

Dammit, Alcie!

I'm going to preface this by saying that I usually steer well clear of anything citrus-y, as it amps to the high heavens and turns into headache-inducing bathroom cleaning product on me. HOWEVER. I was gifted a tester of Alcie and seeing as all of the notes in this except for the nectarine are notes that I love (especially oakmoss) I threw caution to the wind and found out that this particular citrus note behaves on me. Hallelujah! So naturally I bought a big bottle.

In the bottle, very nectarine dominant, with a lush green backdrop. Very sweet, and very mossy.

On my skin, the nectarine becomes less dominant, and like I said, for once stays nice and juicy instead of turning chemical and giving me a headache. You have no idea how happy I am about this! I think the honey is in part to thank for this, for although it is quiet, it is definitely there, amounting to a light, almost nectar like sweetness that I suspect is stopping the nectarine from turning nauseating on me. Oakmoss is one of my absolute favourite notes and it is really really beautiful here. Together with the green musk and sea buckthorn berry, it lends the scent a cool, green aquatic quality. This is one of the prettiest aquatics I've ever smelled. Whereas most aquatics tend to err on the masculine side, this stands out as gorgeously feminine to me, perhaps due to the juicy nectarine and sweet honey. I love mermaid/selkie/siren folklore and have a section in my perfume oil collection that consists of scents that I feel would be evocative of those creatures, and Alcie definitely fits that bill.

In the end, the longest lingering notes I get are soft honeyed nectarine, intoxicating oakmoss and green musk. Medium throw and staying power. I can see myself reaching for it a lot in the coming summer months.

In the decant: Green, with a fruity edge from the nectarine. I think I'm mostly getting the oakmoss, green musk, and nectarine from this.

Wet: On my skin, the nectarine is much more prominent, backed by the oakmoss and green musk. After a few minutes, the sandalwood note emerges, as well as what I believe could be the sea buckthorn berry, but I'm not familiar with that note.

Dry: I'm still getting a lot of oakmoss, green musk, and nectarine, accompanied by the sandalwood and what I believe is the sea buckthorn berry. I think the honey may be adding a bit of sweetness in the background, but it's certainly not a main player on my skin. It's clean and aquatic without being soapy, and I imagine it would be a nice scent to wear during warm weather.

Verdict: This one was a pleasant surprise. I did not expect to like this as much as I do based on the notes. I don't think I need a bottle of it, but I think I'll hold onto the decant to wear during the warmer months.

Okay, Alcestis,... now you!

It has been such a battle with you.

Initially
When I smelled Alcie in the beginning, I immediately hated that it felt like an overdominating buckthorn berry, which switched my gender and my stomache.

I was actually quite shocked by disliking the smell, after it has had such a nice description (Sassy. Impetuous. Loya.l) and listed notes, which I all like.

So I immediately put this away, and was very much thinking about selling her. But I didnt do it because I had hope. And because the label is pretty;) (young red-haired girl)

I have aged this and its time for a review.

After 1 year

Its much more balanced now :)

Now, I get a fresh, green, slightly sweet scent. Nothing dominates - Meaning that individual notes are hard to identify now. Maybe this is how it was supposed to smell like.

Nectarine and honey combine to a fresh background sweetness. (Only) If I do my best I get the sandalwood and oakmoss in the background; it's not woody or herbal.

Conclusions:
Its very loving now, not hard or masculine at all, in fact, perhaps unisex.

Green, fresh/clean, slightly sweet, subtle. Can be worn in the office without trouble.

(however: not sassy or impetuous - but loyal, maybe...)

I understand the comparisons with Ebisu, but on my skin Alcie is quite a different animal. Ebisu on me is a skin scent, soft and sweet and sexy but understated. Alcie is bright and has more throw than I usually get. Bright sweet-tart nectarine, bright clean aquatic notes. I haven't quite mastered the subtleties of green musk but it is definitely louder on me than skin musk.

Alcie is almost aggressively cheerful, like a camp counselor who is absolutely determined that everyone is going to have the time of their life. I'm very fond of Ebisu, but Alcie may be just too chipper for me. I'm not sure I could wear this unironically.

In the imp: honey, nectarine, and a whole lot of fresh greenness.

Wet: The fruity sweetness of the honey and nectarine vanishes into my skin on contact and I'm left with a clean, fresh, upbeat green scent with a trace of aquatic. Kind of aggressively gender-neutral, which I dig. Love me some oakmoss. But something feels... off.

Dry: I used to stock shelves in the health & beauty department at a supermarket and while I couldn't tell you the brand there's definitely at least one commercial soap product out there that smells like this. That's what feels off to me: it's gone too soapy, like body wash that wasn't properly rinsed off. I have to assume it's the green musk as it's one I'm not familiar with yet. (I'm not familiar with sea buckthorn either, but researching seems to indicate it isn't the culprit.)

If you like clean bright Irish Spring-y scents Alcie is definitely worth a try. It's really a shame it went so soapy on me, it has great longevity and moderate throw.

Alcie is one of my go-to scents! It is amazing - mossy green, slightly sweet with aquatic notes. It is hard for me to pinpoint exact notes. I get green musk, oakmoss with sweet and bright nectarine, but it's tamed like "sweet and bright, but under water"? On me it feels natural, almost like "my skin but better" type of scents. Beautiful!