Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
lavinia

Morgause

Earth sorceress and mother of Mordred, she is, in essence, the harbinger of King Arthur's doom and the downfall of Camelot. She is a sister, or sister-self, to Morgan Le Fay. A bouquet of five night-blooming flowers deepened by dusky violet, purple fruits and the barest breath of medieval incenses.

This is very, very light. I smell grapes and jasmine. It's okay, but there's nothing special to it.

Score: 3 out of 5

As other people have observed, the night-blooming flowers obviously include night-blooming jasmine. I adore jasmine, but unfortunately my skin adores it a little too much. I really just need one bpal blend with jasmine in it -- if there's more the barest hint, and doesn't have anything else really strong in it, I might as well be putting pure jasmine oil on. So this is a wonderful cloudy jasmine scent, with a hint of berry once it dries down for a while. But my skin doesn't really let the other notes come out to play at all.

To be frank, Morgause initially smelled like some kind of toilet cleanser to me. There was something floral in there (the violets?) but it was incredibly, incredibly chemical along the way. Obviously, Morgause is intended to meld with my chemistry, since it can’t possibly be intended to stay the way it smelled in the bottle. (Right? Right.)

After a bit, the scent has mellowed (what a relief) into something purple, but the purple is quite lurid. It doesn’t smell berryish yet to me, and still smells like something used to clean a restroom -- the fragrance scenting the air afterward instead of the actual cleanser. (Yes, I am having much more of a negative reaction to this than to any of the prior scents I tried!) As if to make up for it, Morgause is being much more enthusiastic. As I wait, it continues transforming, and now it has transformed into something that smells like violets (I think?) It no longer smells like toilet cleaner, and I suspect that it is doing exactly what it is supposed to do. I don’t smell any weird warping by now, and I do smell something purple with a bit of fruit, and it has decent throw. This is a very pushy smell. Unfortunately, Morgause doesn’t feel like “me” in the slightest. I suppose it could be nice on someone else, but that someone probably isn’t me.

After an hour or so, Morgause is actually getting rather pretty. If I try to deliberately smell my elbow, I hate it, but the scent at six inches is sweet and not unpleasant, and the scent at that distance has become fruity in a fashion that appeals gently. Close up, it’s still pretty noxious -- though I suppose anything will be that has a decent throw.

Later, the noxiousness faded, and the throw faded out as well. Morgause had its moments, and I suspect it did exactly what it was supposed to do, but this scent still isn’t anything that I want to wear.

Morgause-

In Bottle: Hmm, kind of a medium perfumey scent.

Wet: A plain kind of floral at first whiff.

Dry: A little bit sweeter, soon after the first wet phase. Dries down into a pleasant floral, not offensive nor anything stand-out-ish.

Overall: Pleasant but unexciting for me.

Vial: Peony, jasmine, lots of florals in an almost soapy way. Really undecided about it, not sure if I'll like the turn out.

Wet: Ugh. Not sure which floral it is, but it came out to play and beat up all the other florals in the process. Fairly certain it's either a jasmine or the violet. A bit strong, let's let it dry.

Dry: Well it's a bit softer now, but really not my scent. Turns a bit soapy. I had to go wash it off, it was giving me a headache.

Very pretty florals, but way too strong for me.

Oooh... love the moonflower in this. In fact, I think I love the moonflower in *every* BPAL blend it's gone into. Wonderful wonderful blend. There's a perky hint of powdery violet that peeks out after the drydown. It already reminds me so much of my other moonflower blends that I'm not sure I will ever buy a full bottle but I'm definitely keeping this imp around to slather. :P

In the imp: Lots of violet and jasmine, something a bit powdery which makes me very nervous.

Wet: HOLY violets. These are sugary, wonderful violets. The jasmine is still there but the incense is starting to pop out and settle over everything else.

Dry: This is a fantastically complex scent on me. It's not one I would wear on a daily basis but it has a very regal, sophisticated feel. I find myself reaching for it when I want to feel womanly, not girly. All of the notes stay in perfect balance (except the purple fruits which, thankfully, never show up). It's definitely got a good amount of throw but it's not nearly as overwhelming as it seems at first.

I splurged on a bottle and I'm very glad I did.

In the imp: Jasmine, incense and violets. I don't smell fruit which makes me nervous.

On me: Jasmine and only jasmine. My wrists have grown a million tiny mouths and they're all screaming "jasmine jasmine jasmine!!!". NOTHING else. I'm waiting and waiting and there is nothing else there. I thought there was supposed to be fruit in it... amongst other things. I guess I've discovered that my skin is of the jasmine-amping type I've read so much about. Can I trade my skin in?

Mmm...this was on my wishlist and the Lab sent me a frimp of it! It's got all of the florals I tend to like, it seems. And underneath it all is a dusty, earthy scent that I'm guessing is the incense. A few hours later, it's still going strong, so this is a definite favorite.

Morgause did not sound very promising from the listed notes but this may be the one jasmine/violet/fruit scent that works on me. This oil is a sweet perfume that would be good for dress-up days or evening.

I'm attempting to make an effort to get through my pile of imps to test, because I don't want to make any more purchases til my small pile is empty ... except that in my mind signing up for decants doesn't count.

In the imp, this is purpley and herby. And also kind of soapy. I don't mind soapy if it's going to be purpley and herby soap *grin* There's something jasmine-y going on too ...

Wet on skin, it's full of purple berries and something that reminds me of sage. Although it mightn't actually be that. It's just green. DH isn't particularly enamoured with how this one's turned out in the wafting from skin department, and it's not in my usual range of things I'd choose to smell like on a regular basis. Although, the waftage might have something to do with what's been tested on my other arm ...

Once dry, it's turned to soap, without the nice part where there are purple berries involved. That makes me a little sad ): Why am I turning things into the kind of soap I don't want to have? If it's violets, I'll be very sad too, seeing what's coming to me in decants in the near future. Perhaps it's the BPAL jasmine - I don't think I've found one I can deal with yet...

Wet: Jasmine

Dry: A floral blend plus incense.

Finish: Flowery, with a sweet incense-y feel.

I like it. It's much warmer than I associate with Morgause from the Morte D'Arthur, with that semi-tropical jasmine, but there is a reason I'm not the perfumer...

Duration/throw: Had a good throw for the first 3 hours. Still strong on the wrist after 9 hours.

Edited by Monster Alice

This one was dark purple. But also, I hate jasmine ;.; More than that, Jasmine accosts me. It savages my poor little sinuses like a great slithering beasty. Perhaps it's lovely, but I couldn't get it away from me fast enough.

A blooming floral blend, with a lovely dose of violet. Unfortunatley for me, many floral turn into soapy soap soap soap. Morgause is no exception.

I didn't get any of the fruit, nor did I notice the violet.

At first I got a lot of moonflower, which was very nice, followed by the jasmine. In both cases it smelled nice, though the jasmine was ever so slightly soapy for a while (not enough to be unpleasant). throughout I could smell the incense underneath, and as the other scents faded over the course of the day, the incense remained and became more and more noticeable.

Overall, it was nice, and I liked it quite a bit. It wasn't quite as malevolent smelling as Iw ould have expected, but it definitely smells nice.

In the bottle, all I got was jasmine and violets but as soon as I put it on, I noticed a berry scent creeping out from underneath. The more it dried, the more the fruitiness started to emerge. Over the course of a few hours, I got more violets than jasmine and it also got more powdery. It is now a soft, somewhat powdery fruity scent with a touch of floral. I like it and I will definitely wear it a lot when I want to feel regal and sophisticated but I'm not sure if I will splurge on a bottle. This is definitely a very purple scent!

Morgause is something I wanted to try due to my interest in Arthurian lore and luckily an Ebay seller gifted me with an imp of it recently. Wet, this is the night-blooming flowers, although I can only pick out two - jasmine and moonflower. As it dries, I get violet with a hint of wine and a very faint trace of incense. In my scent locket, however, its all wine, plum, and incense. This is gorgeous, very purple, and a fitting scent for the Queen of Air and Darkness. I really like it! :P

Edited by TheIceMaiden

This is a very dark, sinister floral. This definitely conjours images of night and it's many creeping creatures. This smells mainly of violets on me, but there is certainly an array of other evil flowers in the background. There is also a unique "musty" quality to the florals; I think that's what makes this blend smell evil. I am usually not much of a fan of violets, but they do work well in the dark nature of Morgause.

Not quite my thing, but a wickedly lovely blend just the same.

powder and florals...unfortunately i think the jasmine or violet in it has oen me in agan...swap time.

In the vial: Delicious, mysteriously fruity. Proud and regal, though, not like frivolous fruity. The mixed florals smell lightly pretty.

Wet on skin: Uhoh, candy-like, (I think that's the violets) Why does my skin make things so sweet?! Mostly fruity, but more of the floral notes coming out now too. It's pretty in your face; a little goes a long way.

A while later... Settled down some. Once the candy passes (thank goodness!) it’s actually flirty and nice. Not so regal anymore, but not totally flippant either. Actually, it’s quite a "grown up" smell, for lady-days, not girly-days.

Much later...

Nice and sweet. A very nice, incensy linger, not dry, like many others are on me.

Yes, I like this one! My skin didn't hijack it for once. It’s actually a fruity option I can wear without smelling like a jolly rancher candy or cough syrup, and it’s dignified at the same time it’s flirty! I think I'll have to get more of this!

I'll preface this with the fact that I really dislike florals, but it was a frimp, and the description included ruits and incense, so I had to give it a shot.

This scent was one of the more consistent one's I've tried - in that it smelled the same to me from start to finish. If you like florals, this is probably a good way to go. Unfortunately for me, this was all floral with what i think is jasmine in the forefront. I don't get a hint of anything else. Not a good blend for me.

Morgause is sharp, pungent, spicy and aggressive. The beginning was floral, very floral. I never caught any fruit, but there was a tangy note whispering under the heavy floral. What really came out on me was the incense. After about two hours, the incense was mellowed by the violet, luckily.

There's something very old school about Morgause. It's like a classic Chanel perfume. Granted, it's sexy and grown up, but it's not really me. Morgause is a serious perfume. I recommend it when serious facking business is going down.

I... like jasmine? And moonflower? But purple fruits can go either delicious or awful (see: Bordello), and I've had little luck with incense, so this was a maybe-maybe.

Anyway, something in it went sour and strange. Maybe-no.

In the Bottle: Fruit, floral, sweet.

Wet on Skin: Sweeter with the scent of plums.

Dry on Skin: Plum and violet.

Longterm: Warm and purple smelling.

I'm not sure how I feel about this one, I think it'll need some more testing. It didn't smell bad, but I didn't love it. And I'm not sure how often I want to smell purple. On me, it seemed very one dimensional, which was really disappointing. And I didn't get any sort of Morgause vibe from it. Hmm.