Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
lavinia

Morgause

Earth sorceress and mother of Mordred, she is, in essence, the harbinger of King Arthur's doom and the downfall of Camelot. She is a sister, or sister-self, to Morgan Le Fay. A bouquet of five night-blooming flowers deepened by dusky violet, purple fruits and the barest breath of medieval incenses.

No preconceptions. Morgause was a generous frimp.

Wet: Jasmine and suffocating floral with a touch of violet.

Drying: Floral POW! Far too cloying to be pleasant for me.

Not for me.

Overnight, it seems the imp leaked in the office. The scent is EVERYWHERE and creating breathing problems for me. Probably the jasmine, but there's just something unpleasant about spilling something, anything with an odor and not being able to escape it immediately.

It's being passed along as part of a massive circular swap effort.

Morgause smells like a lovely blended classic floral perfume on me. Most florals are difficult for me to parse, the majority get lumped into either "eh, it's a nice enough floral." or "gack! jasmine/rose overdose!" This falls in the first category. It's nice... but not quite me. Still glad I had a chance to try it out, though.

Wow I really like this one. It is a sweet, fruity floral. When I saw descriptions of jasmine, I thought it wouldn't work on me, but I'm not getting any weird jamine gone awry notes. This is going to make a good summer scent.

In the vial this is a strong floral, not overly sweet as it has a base of something darker. On my skin it starts to deepen and become a darker floral, though the sweetness becomes somewhat fruity, yet it has something that pulls it back from becoming too sweet – perhaps the incense? It then becomes sort of like sweet incense after it’s been on my skin for a few hours. It’s gentle and rounded and a touch smoky. It’s quite pleasant but has a dark current running through it – perfect for Morgause!

In imp, and on, wet: Florals with something deep and hollow underneath. Whatever incense this is, I love it.

Near drydown: I'm floating in a cloud of violets. This is pretty and sweet - a little sweet for me. Unfortunately, that lovely first incense note vanished.

After an hour: All gone - just like Camelot - nothing left but memories . . .

Morgause - I have a feeling that one of the "night-blooming flowers" in this blend is night-blooming jasmine, because something very jasmine-like overwhelms the other notes in this scent, with the exception of the spicy incense. If I hadn't read the Lab description, I would guess this is a jasmine and incense blend and would have no idea other notes were included. I'm disappointed, as there is violet in this, and I usually adore violet. After dry-down, I can occasionally catch the violet trying to poke through the thick, heady jasmine scent, but it never quite breaks through. Despite the jasmine amping up on my skin (as jasmine tends to do) I'm still strangely drawn to this scent, and I'm going to try it in a scent locket and see if I have better luck with it that way. Great throw (you only need a little bit) and good staying power.

I'm crazy about jasmine, and so I get angry at the slightest hint of soap. In the imp, this one smells pretty soapy, but I put it on anyway because the note description was so lovely I thought it might change. After a few minutes, it was still soapy, and still I sat and prayed that it would change. Of course things usually change *to* soap rather than *from*, so I didn't really expect a whole lot.

Somehow, my wish came true! The soapy scent disappeared and Morgause went through a phase of delicious (non girly-girly) fruit and then dried down to a sophisticated and ever so slightly powdery jasmine-centered floral. Everything smells sweet and balanced. It's GORGEOUS!! I'm so excited. It ended up nice and light for the summer too.

Edited by LadyMedb

Hmm . . . is one of the night-blooming flowers some sort of jasmine? Because that's the only way to explain the new carpet smell I get from Morgause. It's full of pretty white florals at first, but then the new carpet smell takes over and the floral turns monstrous. This is pretty standard for me for an oil that has jasmine in it.

There's just no way I can get past that new carpet thing.

This reminds me of flowers that bloom in the springtime, which, in my mind, are light purple with bright, yellow accents. Violets? Yes, I think so.

This is very girly in a bright, sunny way. For some reason, I keep picturing a freckle-faced girl in a purple dress running through a field of tall, wild grass.

Bottle: moonflower is here, and the violet. soft and dark floral.

Wet: I can catch the barest hint of a fruity note - is that plum?

Dry: no incense yet, but at least the night time flowers aren't amping on me, as they have sometimes been known to do..

Later: little incense, but it is is a fruity floral I think I can pull off.

In the imp: Flowers. Eek.

Wet: More flowers. Overpowering flowers. Ack.

Dry: She's morphed, and now I smell incense, with the faintest whiff of flowers and fruit in the background.

I have other blends that do the same thing without the flowers smacking me upside the head first. Dang. I really wanted to love this.

In the imp: Woo-hoo this is a purple scent. It's quite evocative of the popular Arthurian tradition. I can imagine this on a beautiful, powerful woman with black hair and purple eyes.

Wet: Wow--this one knocks you back at first. I'm not exactly sure what is powerful, but again, it's very purple and very floral. I'm not catching much of the incense or anything "spicy" or deep at the moment.

Drydown and wear: Just as quick as she knocks you out, Morgause vanishes into my skin. However, the incense wanders back out, and there is a scent of what I could only call twilight (the night bloms, I imagine) that accompanies it. Again, very evocative of the popular Arthuian tradition...I feel like I should scent a fantasy novel with tihs or something. :P This ends up as a combination of violets and incense, and is really quite lovely.

When she is wet, Morgause on me shows her night-blooming jasmine - she smells exactly the same as Nyx did, so I did a cross-comparison of the ingredients of the two blends - not always the most reliable, but I am pretty sure that is night-blooming jasmine. As she dries, out comes a sharp note, dancing around with the incense, but not letting the incense show and stink everything up.

I like this one, but she is not me - she isn't going to be day-to-day wear. I may use her in something else, or swap her.

Morgause

frimp from the lab

in vial: violets

wet: violets

dry: violets...I never smell the fruits or the incense here

verdict: violets and I don't get along very well, unless they're hidden in a nice blend...these violets are not hidden...I will add this to my swap pile or give it away

In the imp: Ooh, I think I like this one! Violets and fruit. Definitely a juicy violet smell.

On Engelbert the stuffed Elephant: Ooh! Engelbert smells lovely. Just like the imp but a bit stronger. I'm definitely liking this one. It's not floral enough to bug me, not powdery, not soapy... definitely fruity, which I love.... I'm not really getting the incense, which is ok by me, I was worried about that bit.

On the wrist, wet: Oh I love this. Imagine that Mr. Bubble and Choward's violet candies had a wild passionate night together and this is their love child. Darker than either one, a little bit jaded, a little more world weary and wise. Oh yes. This is a keeper.

On the wrist, drydown: Gorgeous. Slightly spicier when it dries. Finally a floral I can love!

Summary: I love it. I may need a big bottle of this.

"Night-blooming flowers?" I know, even without asking, this probably means jasmine. And lately jasmine is one lady who's been giving me a beating: almost every blend with jasmine in it has been taken over by her rather boisterous presence. But still . . . Morgause! From the moment I saw the name, I knew I had to try it.

And I'm very glad I did. For the first few minutes, Morgause was a luscious, jasmine-scented bouquet. I remember yes, I do actually like fragrances with a hint of jasmine--just not at the expense of everything else! Then Morgause softens, becoming something pleasant, mysterious, and enticing. And it lingers just like that, faint and undeniably pretty, for hours afterward.

What a wonderful surprise.

Morgause

I'd ordered an imp of this in my first ever BPAL order in April - got it in June, and didn't actually get to trying it til last night. After trying lots of other oils I got first, I've deducted that my skin doesn't like florals - which is sad. But I'd forgotten the description of Morgause and slathered some on.

Wow. This is a nice cool floral scent. Sweet and beautiful. I don't get purple though, and my husband said I smelled like herbs - which I guess must be the incense. I don't get any fruit here either.

But overall it's a lovely blend, and the only floral that's worked for me so far. Must be because there's fruit and incense to tone it down. Beautiful! :P

This smells like a stronger version of The Raven to me... which didn't work for me when I tested it on my skin, and surprise surprise neither does this one :D

I thought I loved Violet.. well, maybe I don't :P

Anyways, it's a sweet floral blend, I'm sure it's beautiful blend on others tho!

If purple could have a scent, it would be Morgause. I am loving violet more and more and the violet in this is even lovelier than the other violet scents I've tried. I was worried about the fruits but I can't smell any at all. This has a powdery scent that I can't place. It blends well with the violet. Anotehr for my bottle list!

Plum and jasmine with a breath of violets in the imp. Very evocative of a summer evening in a lush garden... on me wet, this transforms into smoke and petals, sharp, tangibly smooth and cloying. Although not the sickly sweet of some "floral cloys," Morgause has that same sticky self-same base note. I think it is the fruits but I can't be certain just yet. As this dries, the florals really come out to play - there's a rosey note and something honeylike, a very gingery floral as well and then of course, incense smoke wafting over the florals as though I'm smelling a boquet of dried flowers. Dry, the florals are tamed and yet sensualized by the incense; the fruits are faint, like stains on your fingers and lips... this is delicate at a distance but iron clad up close. Unfortunately, this is vague and warms into a powdery smoke and florals stage from which it disspiates without notice. Lovely during the warming process but entirely too short lived! Where it go, this was so nice I want it back! I WANT IT BACK NOW! ... Well, you get the idea.

Frimp from lab! Thanks for getting me to try new things, guys. :P

Imp:

Wet: Oh god, BO + SOAP! I didn't think that was possible... but something is familiar, in a very bad way.

Dry: A little smoke, overcome by Drury Deodarant SOAP!! Now I remember where I've smelled this before...

When she is wet, Morgause on me shows her night-blooming jasmine - she smells exactly the same as Nyx did, so I did a cross-comparison of the ingredients of the two blends - not always the most reliable, but I am pretty sure that is night-blooming jasmine.

Incolite is right on the money. I so wanted to like this one, after hearing about the plummy violet purple goodness. Alas, jasmine strikes again, under cover of "night-blooming flowers" -- woe to this new bpal-er. Alas, 'twas the mugging villain again and I knew it not! At least I know to avoid this incarnation of jasmine in the future.

Verdict: SWAP.

Jasmine usually becomes really strong and overpowering on me, and occassionally turns rancid. This was amazingly not the case with this scent! It's still promarily a jasmine scent but the jasmine stays light and soft, leaving be without any sort of suffocating feeling. If I was to be a jasmine scent, this would be it!

Edited by neuilly

I can smell the flowers in this one right away but it is the lovely night blooming flowers that work so well for me. I don't really get any violet from it. At least violet in the sense that usually comes around with a headache. Its really bright and has an almost crisp edge that is refreshing and relaxing at the same time. I didn't like this the first time I tried it. I think this is one of the ones that require a bit of patience and reapplication. With a bit of time between though.

In the imp: violet with a touch of berries and other florals

Wet: The violet and berries are what hit me first, followed very quickly by the other florals.

Drydown: Jasmine is rising up rapidy, laying on top of the other scents. The berries are nearly undetectable now.

Dry: The jasmine has become more subdued and the violets are taking it's place. This is quite a dark, deep, heavy floral despite the berries which have returned. It's very strong and has very good throw.

Later: The berries are now stronger and this is quite lovely now.

I'm learning that although I like violet, Bpal violets often don't like me and become heavy and perfumey. However this is one of the better ones on me. I do like this after an hour or so, but before that it's just too heavy a floral for me.

Edited by Trishek