Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Malediction

Evil incarnate. Revel in your dark side with this romantically cruel scent. Contains red patchouli and vetivert.

Ok, so I've never had a problem with vetiver. In fact, some of my favourite blends contain it. That being said, the minute this touched my skin, I finally understood what people were talking about when they said "smoky bacon" in regards to vetiver. Gods this is foul on me! Edited by crebbsgirl

I kinda like this! Started off smoky and strong on the vetiver, but as it settled down I have the "drenched earth" smell someone was lamenting, but that I really like. Smells alot like patchouli incense sticks :)

Oh, apparently romantic cruelty smells like peanuts. That sounds about right. That's all I get from Malediction in the imp, anyway.

Wet, it smells like salt, peanuts, and smoke. Dry, it smells like VETIVER IS EATING MY SOUL. Also there is still a little salt.

Not for me at all.

This is the first review for which I actually took detailed notes because in my experience vetiver smells gorgeous, but sometimes (Saturnalia) it takes about eight hours to get there, and I wanted to know exactly when Malediction would reach that stage.

Wet: Chinese medicinal herbs plus a charcoal grill covered in burnt fat.

At 15 minutes: slightly greener but very sharp, a sort of menthol/eucalyptus. (Husband concurs on the eucalyptus.)

At 30 minutes: oppressive green earth, a rice paddy on a sultry day.

At one hour: smoky campfire with a faint wisp of sweetness in the background.

At three hours: there it is! The refreshing jungle green that is Good Vetiver, with just a hint of sweetness similar to the scent of a bag of black jelly beans. Patchouli doesn't have a strong presence, but it's there.

Three hours is better than eight, but still a longish time to smell strange. I will be experimenting with this as a room scent and possibly tossing the imp into the cellar of despair with the other stuff I'm aging to see if that brings out the patchouli a bit more.

Edited by EdenIrisMae

Just tried this out for the sake of trying it out. I'm a huge huge patchouli lover, I could swim in it... but I really despise vetiver. Everytime I come across it I just think old basement, and it fails. In this? Vetiver is sharp, musty, and just that note that makes me cringe a little.

Which is like hating oranges and getting upset orange juice tastes bad, my own fault. But this is a strong vetiver to me, with an earthier patchouli than some, not a sweet or twiggy patchouli. More... dusty. On the right person this may go well, but vetiver always has such a bite to my nose, that "mellows" out into mildewy basement. o_O

Then again I've never smelled it on someone else, could just go badly with my skin in general. Yuck, in any case.

General vibe, prejudice aside- I think of Se7en, for some reason. Darkness, and any sexuality from that darkness is pure sin and somehow corrupt. Not a scent I'd want to wear, but I could see it working for some.

Reading the notes deterred me from trying this one...rightly so!

Charred grassy roots...can't get it off fast enough! Reminds me of the leftover ashes from a house fire.

Vial: Oh wow... sharp, dark, woody and almost boozy.

On: ... at first, the closest description that comes to mind: rotten and/or burnt Vegemite. Yeow. I must be amping Vetiver, because I don't get any patchouli, and the vetiver in this HATES me. It's close to turning my stomach. However, it stays on until complete drydown at least, dammit! Ahh... after about half an hour, the Vetiver finally calms down and I can smell patchouli, although it seems a lot more like black patchouli to me, likely due to the vetiver influence. It's still not great, though, and considering this nearly made me heave... let's see where it's going, if it doesn't start wowing me at some point, it leaves the house.

Later: Still going quite strong after 2 hours, but man, I can't bring myself to like it after THAT start... swap.

In the imp: Very woody. My imp of this is SO aged too, it's almost like tar.

Wet: Ew, very, VERY woody and dirty. Don't like it.

Not even gonna give it a chance to dry. :P

Okay. I never expected to say this, but yay for vetivert. There was some other scent I tried with that a while back...vetivert and violets. It was terrible. I have no idea why this is so much better, but the woody/burnt bacon thing is kind of nice. lol

I can't believe I haven't reviewed this scent yet! o_O

Malediction is a dark, evil sexy and wonderful vetiver scent. Fans of vetiver MUST try this! Paired with the red patchouli it's just... :thud:

This dries to a warm, smooth woody/vetiver scent. One of the best vetiver scents here. LOVE :wub2:

Phew, dark, evil, romantically cruel hippy. (With average throw and staying power.) I think this will be a pass.

Patchouli quickly loses the battle against vetivert which takes a very sharp almost soprano-like screech.

I think I'll let it age and try it again later, right now it's just too sharp.

Very dark, reminds me of dank dark woods. I couldn't wear this but curiousity compelled me to try it, it is uniquely "dark" bpal, try at your own risk. It seems to me like it would be a difficult scent to pull off. I could imagine a man wearing it.

Buzzing Darkness. Patchouli, Walnut, Vetivert and sticky, ripe fig.

Dark Chocolate and Darker, Charred Wood.

This takes on a dusky, spicy edge once it finds skin to cling to.

This is masculine, shadowy confidence.

Leather gloves and a length of garrote-wire in the pocket

of an immaculately tailored coat.

Edited by impolight

Smells like BBQ when I first apply it. Both the sauce and the grill type of BBQ.

Then after the BBQ zest wears off, I get deep smoke and wood notes, reminds me of Djinn without the musk note.

The oil itself is pretty thick and lasts really long. It's pretty and dark, well, at least to me, because I like dark smokey oils. I'd keep this if I didn't like Djinn better, because they are close.

A few hours later this smells like BBQ again on me. I like the scent the rest of the time, but the BBQ sauce note is a bit much! It might work well for people who want deep wood smoke tapered with sweet resins. It really isn't my thing though.

If you like your smokey forest fire scent dowsed with BBQ sauce, then you are in luck! :P

Eat your blazing forest with an evil smile!

Edited by Madame Nyx

This contains two of my hands down favourite notes of all time, so I had to try :D

Even the oil itself looks evil, thick, dark, reddish-brown and darker than any BPAL oil I've tried so far. I like it ;)

In the imp - light, sweet vetiver.

On wet - exactly what it says on the label, a beautiful blend of earthy patchouli and vetiver.

Drydown - mmfh, deliciously and beautifully blended. One of the most outstanding vetiver blends the lab has. If you're a vetiver fan, do try :D

I like some patchouli and vetiver has really grown on me and become one of my favorite notes in the right context. However, together, this is just too much. It smells like burning peanuts. It smells like charcoal.

This smells like the morning after a drunken party around a campfire: earthy, a little boozy, with damp wood still smoldering a little underneath.

I like the scent, but it's not one I could wear as a perfume.

1247050357_WKbhK-Ti.jpg

Strong vetiver right out of the bottle, but this quickly settles down into a truly lovely deep smoky patchouli with a bit of musk and sandalwood hiding in the corners. I would wear this blend when I want to feel powerfully sexy, and when wearing my leather boots. It's the sort of scent which makes me feel like striding through the world and taking no prisoners.

Edited by stellans

In the bottle - Patchouli and Vetiver combine at their earthiest

Wet on me - Very bitter and smokey. I guess the vetiver is dominating

Dry on me - Dark, oily, smokey vetiver. I spent most of the day feeling as if I'd had a petroleum based incident :eek:. Give it 12 hours or so and it softens, becomes sweeter and more palatable

Overall - I'm not all that keen on vetiver and in this blend my skin seemed to amp all it's worst qualities

Patchouli and vetiver. This will probably not end well. Light, light application. Yeah. Patchouli and vetiver. So, so not for me.

In The Bottle

I smell vetiver

On Application

Very, very strong vetiver. Smokestack strong

Dry Down

The vetiver has a bacony tinge to it. This is pretty much a dead ringer for Smokestack. I like them both but don think would wear them.

Rating (0-5)

Oh. My. God. This was a frimp, and thank you lab! I love this. I adore this.

In the imp: smoky vetiver, bitter and strong, over a little curl of patchouli.

Wet: The smoke curls and licks the skin, and the patchouli warms and deepens. My husband, who usually hates patchouli with a purple passion, was walking up the stairs shortly after I lightly, very lightly, dabbed this on my wrists and asked what the smell was in a good way, not the OMG what in the hell is that foulness way. So needless to say, this has HUGE throw.

Dry down: Vetiver and patchouli really have this thing going together in this. They're holding hands, getting to know each other, twining around and having hot hippy sex. I alternately smell waves of sweet smoke and earthy patchouli. If this scent had a color, it would be a swirl of deep, almost black green and rich, reddish brown.

This lasts like nobody's business. I've had it on since early this morning, and at almost 10 PM it is still going strong. Once it settled in, it didn't morph any more. I believe there may be another note in this, something just a little sweet. I just can't sniff it out. While this probably isn't the best summer scent, I can't wait to let it shine this fall. I felt kick ass confident in this and got a few random, unsolicited compliments on it from strangers while we were browsing some shops today. The only reason I may stick with imps instead of full bottles is because a little bit goes such a very long way!

I got this mainly because I was curious. It wasn't something I'd normally try. Well, now I know I should have trusted my instinct.

When I first sniffed this in the vial, I had this sort of reaction: :ack: It was so strong that it made me gag a little. It smelled of smoke and barbeque sauce, and something else I couldn't recall. I quickly closed it up again, and put it into the bottom of my imp box. Well...I decided to be brave and try it, just to see if maybe it actually could work. Um. No.

I put a very, very tiny amount on the back of my hand, and again: :ack: It smells like a campground. Fire pits, bug spray, citronella candles, trees, et cetera. All that, and a little tinge of bacon. No thank you.

While I do admit it's a bit better once it gets on my skin, it's still pretty foul.

Ugh! Patchouli and vetivert! It smells like a piece of burning wood that has been doused with water and is now smouldering in the dirt. Get thee away from me!