Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Malediction

Evil incarnate. Revel in your dark side with this romantically cruel scent. Contains red patchouli and vetivert.

I like this scent very much, it's one of my favorite ones.

In the imp: Earthy, woody, heavy and really sharp. It stings in the nose.

Fresh on the skin: Wet earth, a dark and evil forest on my skin, that kind of forest where people disappear and never come back again. Sharp and stinging. My mother complained that when I'm walking by next to her or standing near her, it's so heavy and stinging she can hardly breathe. She totally hates it, but I love it. Seems to be one of those scents which contamine everything around you.

Half an hour later: Nothing really changed.

Two hours later: Still as strong as after putting it on my skin. I sat in a car for 5 minutes and came back after 10 minutes, the whole car was filled with Malediction.

Six hours later (now): The smell as become less stinging and sharp, but I still can fully smell it while walking or sitting, I don't have to put my wrists up to my nose. All my co-workers and the patients still notice it when I walk past them and tell me how good I smell. I put this on a week ago and it was still noticable after getting up the next morning.

Final thoughts: Definitely worth a bottle, not only because of the smell itself but also because its heavyness and sharpness and the fact that it's more than present after more than six hours.
I would suggest this highly to a male, but I think that it would also be nice on a female. Not right after putting it on but after 3 hours it would be quite nice on a female. Edited by Shollin

It's hard to know what to say about Malediction except that the last time I smelled this much patchouli this strongly, Jerry Garcia was still alive. Seriously, I don't know about "evil incarnate," but if you wear this, be prepared to attract random VW microbuses to your general vicinity. :P

Now, this isn't such a bad thing for me, because I love patchouli -- and for the first several hours (the sheer strength of this blend and other reviewers' comments combine to make me think that there will be another few hours yet to come), it's Radio Patchouli, no commercials, all patchouli, all the time; only well into the drydown do I get the cedary vetivert and citrus notes that augment the earthiness -- but if, for whatever reason, you do not want to smell like a hippie, Malediction is not for you. I disagree that this is necessarily masculine, but then I think Birkenstocks are perfectly unisex as well! To me, Malediction defies its description and strongly evokes summer. It's just that it evokes Summer Tour: "back in Terrapin / for good or ill again," that's what I get.

Got this as a frimp from...akanekun, I think? (Got a bunch of packages at once today and immediately forgot what was from who, oops.) But wow, is this ever unexpectedly good. On me, it smells exactly like the woodsy marshy country around here, leaf and bark and water. It's cool and clean, yet earthy. I get no evil from this, and no dirty-hippie either.

It did get stronger and stronger on me, rather than fading away as the BPALs I've tried hitherto have done, and a drop in my elbow had incredible throw, but I see that as an advantage. After a hard workout on my bike, my skin changed it to a brilliant cedary-incense scent--outdoorsy earth and Mass at the cathedral? Must get a bottle. Must get two bottles.

Edited by bennu

I could swear I've tried this before, but nope, it's new to me. So here goes!

Wow, this is patchouli-y! A smoky patchouli so thick it's almost like tar in character, an odor both resinous and smoky, verging on the foul. A sharp note of vetiver keens through this like a knife drawn lightly over skin . . . sharp but not cutting.

This smells like the ashes of a campfire, to be honest. Even on, it's a savage, smoky odor that has very little to do with perfume, and everything to do with making anyone in the room with you edge further and further away.

It's heavy, so dark as to approach ultraviolet, and is thoroughly, thoroughly dirty. If I had to pick a BPAL scent that strikes me as utterly un-perfume-like, this would be it. It does not smell like something a person would volunteer to smell like.

ETA: I do want to make it clear that I love this scent, and will be keeping it. It's just not "perfumey" at all.

Edited by Naamah_Darling

i liked Malediction and will keep my imp dear, but i don't know when i would wear it--it is very strong and makes me a little self-conscious. However, the other day I had Aglaea on, and I put the tiniest dot of Malediction on top of that, and it actually smelled quite nice--like an earthy sensual peach.

It smells similar to Lush's Tramp, but less green and more brown, if that makes sense. Not for people who don't like natural earthy (literally) smells....

This isn't something I would have thought I would like so much by the notes listed on the labs page, but when I smelled it in the imp I thought I had died and gone to heaven. I love this, and I am not a big patchouli lover. It smells sharp and crisp, biting with a mud filled mouth. It dries to a powdery, softer scent that still holds a memory of the original bite. I want a large bottle of this one. I am going to have to try it with Aglaea as suggested by willowtreeling, I bet that would be divine :P

Like many of the other reviews I was almost afraid to try this one. The scent from the bottle was so strong and earthy I thought there would be no way I could pull it off. However, the hippie in me loves patchouli so I ventured boldly.

Wet its every bit as strong as sniffing the bottle. I resisted the urge to run to the bathroom and wash it off. As it dried it definitely toned down. Its been on around 30 minutes now and its settled into a nice warm patchouli.

I'm still not sure I can pull this scent off. Patchouli is traditionally a masculine scent but even my boyfriend thought this was too much patchouli. It may work better as a room scent on a cold winter night. On a night where I'm missing the scent of warm earth after a spring rain.

Its a keeper but not one I'll look to slather on every day.

An imp from bethany!

Bottle: Wow, that's seriously dark. Smells like wood.

Wet: AURGH. Camphor! Strong, strong camphor! I smell like a medicine cabinet!

Oh dear, I'm afraid I've found my first "get it OFF me" BPAL scent. :P I couldn't stand it.

Now reading through the other reviews, it may just be I'll have to wait for it to dry--which I didn't do this attempt--so I'll give it one more try later. But I'm pretty sure this one will be going off to someone who might appreciate it more.

In the imp: Quite a sweet almost alcohol infused patchouli which is ok as I don't mind patchouli in blends & it usually just stays quiet on my skin.

Wet on skin: Just patchouli. Pretty much straight up patchouli essential oil which I'm not overly fond of.

Dry: Patchouli & ugh something that smells sort of dead or rotting? :P This smells horrid. I assume the dead/rotting smell is vetiver.

Overall: I didn't let this dry completely I just had to get it off. Unfortunately my skin chemistry hates this! I'll make sure to avoid vetiver in the futute.

OK, this is heavy duty stuff and even my weird chemistry can't find a sweet note in sight to amp! I definitely understand the hippie headshop vibe that people get from Malediction, but we've gotta be talking about one p*ssed off hippie! It's a wonderful scent, but it can be a bit much. I even tried layering it with O (which goes all hella sweet on me), but Malediction just chewed it up and spit it out.

Diiiirrrrt! This is more of a cold mineral sort of dirt rather than warm, nurturing dirt. It has a bit of spice to it, a bit eucalyptus. Now it's just a medicine scent. Trade.

Malediction is one of those imps I never paid much attention to - I don't even know where I got the imp - but one day I decided to try it, and I fell in love. Yes, you have to like fine patchouli and vetiver; this scent is a perfectly balanced blend of the two. It's dark and dirty. I feel devious when I wear it, and sexy. My lover loves it, and he doesn't usually like patchouli. My friend's husband loves patchouli, but my friend won't wear it, so he's grateful when I wear Malediction. In general, I find that men loooove it. A delicious, earthy fall and winter scent. Wear with black leather.

In the imp: Pretty vetiver-licious, but I'll give it a shot.

Wet: Well, the vetiver is definitely strong, but the patchouli is equally as strong, so I'm doing alright with this one. It's swarthy, thick, murky, and strong.

Dry: Unfortunately, the patchouli loses to the vetiver, and while the vetiver in this blend isn't quite as offensive as in some other blends, it's not a note I like that much.

Oh my! Yes, indeedy, this is the incense scent wafting around the home of Mr. & Mrs. Lucifer. Perhaps they give the great hall a spray of this also, before guests arrive for dinner. It's majestic, in a very dark, and earthy way.

And addicting. I keep sticking my wrist up to my nose, reveling in the patchouli, cedar, dirt strength of this scent. It reminds me, in a good way, of summer evening folk concerts that were held in the woods years ago. And since I've not actually dined at the Lucifers and can't say for sure whether it is indeed their signature room scent, this is the only personal scent memory I have here.

Initial Impression: Woah! Really strong vetivert.

On Wet: This must be a really aged imp, it's so strong. I smell patchouli and vetivert. A turpentine-like smell, as well. This is making me sick. Must wash off.

On Dry: Never got to this stage.

Final Impression: I gave this two tries and both times I got sick and headache-y from it. It's overwhelmingly strong even when used sparingly.

Rating (on a scale from 1-5): 1

Wow, I can't say I like this as a scent to wear, but it invokes such a powerful recollection for me. It reminds me of an antique cabinet my dad brought home from China. This smells exactly like sticking my head in that cabinet and taking a deep whiff! :P

It smells woody, like really old old wood, that would almost crumble if you pressed on it too hard, with a bit of old old incense and dirt!

In the imp I'm getting dark old vetiver! Almost as a single note!!

Dare I let it touch my skin?? Ok, why not.

On my skin this totally reminds me (don't laugh) of one of my scratch and sniff books that I had as a child. Bambi's Forest. This smells like the scratch and sniff campfire smoke. Dead ringer. I'd totally forgotten about that book. I've always been a scent freak... when my mom lost me in a store she didn't worry. I'd be in the candle aisle, smelling candles happily. She could always find me.

Waiting for the scent to dry.... still campfire smoke. Maybe with some dirt kicked over it. Wet dirt.

Ok, as it dries it starts to smell a little more like incense as the patchouli is finally able to claw its way to the surface and breathe under the smotheringly selfish vetivert, who wants all the limelight! But it isn't a long or deep breath. Vetivert gleefully punches patchouli in the nose for the KO. Poor patchouli.

This is earthy, stark, deep, and dirty. Smoky.

If I were to wear this, I would sweeten it up a lot with a fruity scent (maybe some orange) or a vanilla. Yay for layering!

In the Bottle

Whew! Lots of resinyness, definitely vertiver, and a cedarish hue. This stuff is REALLY thick, too, it oozes like a lava lamp in the imp, and it's a sappy, dark brown colour.

On Me

Campfire smoke. (Funnily enough, I put this on this morning: I woke up to the smell of fires burning because it's Melbourne winter-weather and people around our neighbourhood are tending their fireplaces from the smell outside.)

But it's campfire smoke with a wet edge. And there's something mentholly coming through on me, too-- it reminds me of camping in the bush on a cold, crisp morning. Complete with Aussie gum trees.

It's funny: I HATE camping with a blind rage, but this scent feels good and warm and comforty on me. It's what's good about camping-- without the insect noises at night, the drunken yobbos and the wind threatening to knock your tent over (and the outdoor non-existent toilets).

In terms of things BPALers might relate to: it's like Djinn's more intense, manly-woodsman big brother. (And yes, it does strike me as a "manly" scent. Normally I'm all "everything is gender-neutral" and I tend to love the more masculine scents for me, but this is something a guy could wear easily if he had hangups about appearing too metrosexual.)

It's not one I'm going to wear often, but I'm definitely hanging onto my imp.

Household reaction:

At the other end of the house, my partner: "What the HELL is that smell?" pretty much just after I applied it. He doesn't like it, stating that it smells like rancid Vicks VapoRub.

Edited by LadyLuckDoubt

I tried this a little while ago, and I hate to say it, but I could hardly stand it.

I found it almost overpoweringly strong and almost painful in the bottle, and it didn't change even a touch when I put it on my skin, until about an hour later, when I found it had finally calmed the hell down and faded to a vaguely sandalwoody scent. I have lots of sandalwood, and the time in between just wouldn't be worth it to me.

It seemed to have amazing throw, and would probably be just gorgeous on someone who could carry it off, but unfortunately (I love woody scents and am developing an enjoyment of vetiver) that would not be me.

Yay, my first review! Forgive me, I'm not a perfume girl and I'm new to most of these scents...

I got this guy from a forumite who I asked to just send me a bunch of random guys. Stoked!

First sniff last night: Shrimp sauce. Cocktail sauce? Whatever it is. Badly. I wanted to chuck. STRONG and nasty. Woah.

Sniff now: Shrimp sauce with a hint of patchouli? It gives me that weird back-of-the-throat metallic tang that I get when I smell the shrimp sauce. Am I alone in this? I don't want to try it at all, but I've read a lot of folks saying it changes a lot when on, and not to judge it from the bottle, so here goes. *wince*

Wet: Waiting for the shrimp sauce to go awaaay... Okay. Simmering down. Thank gods. Patchouli is coming out. Not enough to cover the sauce though. wtf. Euuugh. o_o I don't really get any other scents from this while it's wet.

Doesn't seem to be calming down much. That's too bad. Shrimp sauce it is! - with a hint of campfire smoke. Definitely not a scent for me.

Edited by LacyJae

Sometimes this takes hours to become wearable, and sometimes it's "Oh, DIRTY AND DELICIOUS!" so it's obviously depending entirely upon my body chemistry at the time.

I wouldn't have thought I'd like this but I think I kind of...do?? WTF? It is what it is, patchouli and vetiver, and woods, I do believe. Very strong, very dark, very heavy. June is probably not the best time to wear it but maybe in the fall it'll be more appropriate. The vetiver's not doing that rotten smell thing on me it usually does. An interesting blend indeed.

imp: vetiver. burnt, black, charred vetiver.

wet: as usual, it's strong vetiver with that strange sweetness behind it. not my thing but very evocative.

dry: i can finally smell the patchouli once this is dry, but waiting this long for the scent to quiet down into something i like is tough.