Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Voluptuous and indulgent! A deep chocolate scent, with black cherry and orange blossom.

Imp: Cocoa powder covered orange blossoms. Its a bit dry and bitter
Wet: Chocolate-covered orange blossoms. After a couple of minutes, it sweetened up. The orange blossom is the dominant note on my skin.
Drydown: The cherry made an appearance briefly, but then it went back into hiding. The chocolate has also faded away. I'm left with a sweetened orange blossom. The orange blossom has continued to sweeten.
Overall: This is a sweet, sugar syrup drenched orange blossom scent on my skin. I don't know if I need a bottle as I already have a sweet orange blossom scent I wear (Khrysee). I'll have to revisit this scent again to make a final decision. Edited by catattack

Vice was a frimp whose list of notes didn't sway me one way or the other, but I gave it a shot, as usual! Freshly applied, Vice really is deep, dark, chocolate... bitter, not at all sweet, but reads like a chocolate bar to me, not like cocoa powder. The black cherry became more apparent as it dried, but so did the orange blossoms. The orange blossom amps up, and it just doesn't go well for me. The dark chocolate goes dusty with musty orange flowers, and the cherry adds a plastic tone. Nope. I'll pass on this one.

Imp: Faint chocolate and cherry something seems a bit off though.

Wet: Sort of powdery and sweet. Some sort of cherry pastry with powdered sugar on top.

Dry: Too foody for me. It goes sort of cherry pie filling.

This is my go-to foody scent right now! It's cherry-chocolate at first. Not too sweet and not sharp. Then it's chocolate and orange blossom. I don't wear it often at all, in fact I forgot about. It fades pretty quickly and I have tons more comfort scents, but I could definitely seeing myself buy another imp or two of this...considering mine is almost gone.

YUMMY!

In imp - Cherry Cordials, Black chocolate forest cake? black cherry chocolate forest cake? I forget the name, but that thing.

Wet on skin - ... sunblock?

Dryer- Yes, sunblock is the scent of the day. I can pick out the chocolate, but it sort of vanished. When it was bitter dark chocolate in the imp, it's not, if anything, creamy plastic chocolate? And the cherry is TART. Which is adding some kind of smell that just says sunblock to my mind.

o_o. More sniffing, thinking, and forcing sunblock out of my mind makes me realize this is a cherry + orange smell. It's almost pleasant, but.. just too sharp or fake. Ugh. Could it be that I amp orange blossom? Black Cherry? Something is going very wrong here. ;_;

When i force sunblock away, I'm left with overly sweet, plastic cherry and tart orange. Which is dumb, because orange blossom does not = citrus and I know this. But yet, thar it is.

My imp was fresh from the lab. Maybe I should let it mellow and try again another day. Of course, it had throw, staying power- but that's the rule when something smells bad, right? Just stays and stays and amps around crazily. I'll try this again in a week or two maybe.

Edited by Shollin

in the bottle I smelled mostly a slightly sweet sharp citrus.

I didn't read the notes before I put it on. So my nose was pretty confused because every time I smelled my wrist it seemed to morph. I wrote down " fresh citrus, laundry, autumnal, bees wax". pshhh, not quite. Mostly what I smelled was a magical lush but tart citrus. Not too tart, not too sweet.

The chocolate doesn't show up on my skin as much as the cherry and orange. I do wish it stuck around a little longer. It seemed to fade after a coupla hours but I think I'll just have to wear more of it. I think this is my first BPAL love. aww.

BTW, the moment I put this on my boyfriend expressed a great liking of it. Bonus points.

In the imp: chocolate covered cherry

Wet on my skin: sweet orange, a bit of cherry and just a light dusting of sweet cocoa powder

Drying: Still heavy on the orange, and kind of powdery. The cocoa and cherry are all but gone. I still like it, even though it’s very different in scent and in overall feeling from what it first was.

Dry: More of the same. I do like it though… Maybe I should try this at another time during the month?

In the imp: Chocolate and smoke? Definitely chocolate, but there is something weird happening to it.

Wet: Chocolate, smoke and booze (like cherry liqueur, but light on the cherry and heavy on the liqueur).

Dry: Boozy cherries! This smells like sherry-cherries, but sweeter.

A while later: A chocolatey-power smell, with a hint of cherry cough syrup.

This would go off to be swapped if I had not dropped the imp and spilled a good portion on the carpet. But yeah - this one is not for me.

You know , I put off trying this frimp for a long time . I read the notes & said to myself " that'll be too sweet , or too foody for me " & just let it sit in my imp holder . So today I grabbed a random imp to try & here it was . And I must admit that I like this a LOT more then I ever would have thought I would . This is really dark , not that sweet at all . The chocolate is hardly noticeable as chocolate to me , more like a dark base of some kind to hold the sweetness of the fruits back . And holy cow do the orange & cherry go well together . This is seriously a kind of boozy scent for sure . Kind of like a liquor I'd had years ago but can't remember the name of . I must run this by the other half tonight & see what she thinks .

Imp: Dark chocolate, cherry, sandalwood

Wet: Delicious, sweet cherry cordial

Dry: There must be vanilla in this because there is a waxiness throwing off the scent. All that remains is vague sweetness.

I would love this if the scent stayed the way it is wet, but the drydown is not for me.

In the imp, the cocoa, cherry and citrus scents are very, very strong. On wet cocoa and cherry are the strongest, and as it dries, orange blossom comes to the surface and takes over much of the show.

I normally don't like foody scents at all, but this one? Dear me, it's brilliant :D I'm going to use this as a room scent, since food scents still don't smell that good on me personally, but I definitely want to have a room full of it!

In the imp, I get chocolate, and a mix of orange and cherry underneath. Oh, nom. On my skin, it's predominantly dark chocolate and cherry, with maybe a hint of orange lurking in the background. Oh, I like.

It dries down to this chocolate-orange-cherry blend that smells amazing on me. Yep, this'll definitely be a bottle.

Edited by Venneh

1247184870_G4eYT-Ti.jpg 1247184920_HwZuJ-Ti.jpg

This was a long-ago frimp in a swap, and I'm just now gettng around to testing/reviewing it. Unfortunately, it's not a blend which is working for me. First, there was no chocolate in this for me at all, which was a major disappointment. I may have come late to a deep appreciation for the Lab's chocolate notes, but come that way I did and when a blend lists chocolate as a note, I really want to smell it. Second, the fruit notes were really indistinguishable from one another, and turned to a sugary-powder on me, I smell like Lik-M-Aid, and that's just not a scent I want to have wafting under my nose all day. Vice is not for me.

Edited by stellans

Imp: Dusty chocolate and cherry.

Wet: Dusty orange blossom over warming chocolate. Faint hint of cherry.

Dry: Gorgeous. A lovely cherry/orange blossom blend over a dark, chocolate base. Very sweet and gentle. Unusual and a little sexy. I really like this. It's not foody but has a gentle sweetness.

Throw: Strong.

Overall: I love this. It's pretty and sweet and unusual. So lovely.

In the imp, this gives me that vague smell that I can only quantify as fruity pumpkin. I'm so bad at identifying certain notes.

Wet on the skin, it smells like a candle that's supposed to smell like one of those chocolate oranges.

On dry down, I'm definitely getting a deep chocolate smell, which is nice since most of the chocolate scents go to a cocoa powder on me - emphasis on the powder. This doesn't have that dusty powder quality. And, it's not shouting ORANGE the way that other scents that have orange in them tend to do. But, it still smells very strongly of wax. If this was a candle, I'd probably like it. But, seeing as that I am not a candle, I don't like it on me.

In the bottle, this has a nice chocolatey scent. On me, it smells exactly like Cherry Coke lip smackers. :lol: It's a lovely scent, but I'd rather get a bit more chocolate. Into the swap pile.

Wet: Orange chocolate, but sort of fake smelling.

Dry-down: It's more perfumy that I thought it would be, but I do smell the chocolate. A vaguely fresh and sweet fruity smell (I can't really identify orange or cherry) permeates throughout.

Dry: Ends up an ambiguously warm and sweet scent. I can still sort of tell it's chocolate (but only because I know chocolate's in it), but all the fruit is gone. The throw is minimal. It's more like a skin scent. To be honest, I don't think I'll be reaching for this much.

My brother's opinion: It doesn't smell like chocolate. Smells like potpurri.

lab fresh imp

in the imp: cherry and orange blossom. this is nice- it does actually remind me of orange blossoms, which doesn't always happen with floral notes for me.

wet: light cherry and orange blossom. this is really pretty. it's not overly strong either. this is the cherry that i like in suck it but not nearly as searingly loud or sweet.

dry: sweet sweet florals without being overpowering. i'm not getting chocolate from this at all. which makes me quite happy.

i'd replace the imp. not sure that it's bottle worthy though.

In the Imp: sweet, orange blossom, a hint of chocolate

Wet on Skin: mainly orange blossom, a hint of cherry

White Drying: a little less sweet, still mainly orange blossom, with a hint of … lavender?!

After a Little While: The odd lavender note went away… still a touch too sweet (is this the cherry?)… a hint of dusty spice comes and goes in the background - I believe that is the chocolate… still predominantly orange blossom

Later: this keeps getting better and better; sweetness has died down to an acceptable level; light, bright, sweet orange blossom

Final Thoughts: I wasn't sure how I felt about this… then realized I was sniffing my wrists constantly. This doesn't have any of the vanilla that sometimes appears with orange blossom on my skin, but still lovely.

Vice earns a 4/5 on my skin.

First on: Dark cocoa powder - there's nothing sweet about this

Drydown: Mostly cherries, a hint of chocolate. Very foody, which is not my thing.

Far drydown: orange play-doh.

Imp-worthy for me, but not bottle-worthy.

In the vial, it smells like a deeply spiced dark chocolate, almost like a heady dark chocolate chai with tons of spice, if such a thing would exist! On my skin, it becomes a much more subtle blend of chocolate, spice and orange with a hint of sweetness; quite lovely in fact. After a while of occasionally smelling lovely spiced orange wafting up from my skin, the orange fades to reveal a lovely fruity sweetness left on my skin, like sugared fruit pieces. It certainly is one lovely, morphing scent!

I managed to spill this one all over my hands and shirt so I can definintely say that it smells exactly like the description right out of the bottle. And that these oils don't stain regular cotton, especially if you are quick to stip down and douse it in cold water. Funsy!

I smelled exactly like those chocolate covered cherries with the gooey liquid inside for about a day and a half. It was fairly overwhelming. People at work kept asking, "Did someone bring in candies?" The scent stayed farily true through the whole process, not much variation.

My nose may never be the same, and I think I'll stay away from foody scents for a while. But otherwise, it's quite a delicious fragrance. Yummy, yummy.

Vice was my first BPAL order (I got a handful of imps from a friend, and fell in love with Vice, I went through the imp in a week!). I got all chocolate cherry cordial, with not much (if any) orange. I love foody scents, and this one was perfect. But that was almost two years ago, and now either my bottle has changed, or my skin chemistry has changed, and it goes very powdery very quickly, and the orange is much more prominent.