Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
samarablackcat

Tiki Princess

A frothy, cold coconut perfume, pure and sweet, with gentle wafts of plumeria, pikake, and ala ala wai nui.

Oh, this is FANTASTIC! In the bottle, it smells like chilled coconut shavings. Applied, it still smells like chilled coconut, with a very light hint of florals. Doesn’t morph and lasts for about five hours. Wonderful for hot, humid days. I’m getting more of this for sure!

A lot of people have compared this scent to Snow White, but it doesn’t smell that similar to me.

So sad. :( I was really hoping for all the coconut goodness and not the Snow White similiarity that some people got. So what did I end up with? Snow White. :cry2: It smells terrible and at the same time very generic on me.

If you tried Snow White and hated it, this probably won't work for you. But if you love SW, this might be a good summer version.

I really, really loved this...until my body decided to amp the coconut to like 1000x it's smell-power. Holy cow! Overwhelming! I love me some coconut, but it ate every other note in here and just kind of fizzled. Don't get me wrong, I'd still wear it, but I'd need to layer it with something else...maybe something citrus so it could have a fighting chance of being sniffed. A lovely summer scent, but my skin finds the BPAL coconut notes and amplifies them too much!

In the vial I got a nice sniff of florals, but on my skin...goodbye!

3.5/5 because I *do* love coconut.

Edited by writergal969

I was so excited to try this, having heard the comparisons to Snow White and all that. Sadly, they are not at all similar on me. I get coconut/fruity soap, heavier on the fruity :( I like the prototype version much, much better.

Origin: Straight from the Lab

Initial Thoughts: I'm always looking for a coconut scent that isn't over-the-top foody. And I love the tropical florals of plumeria and pikake. Have no idea what ala ala wai nui is.

In the bottle: Wow, definitely a cold impression! My first whiff is actually more floral than coconut, but the coconut comes out in the next whiff.

Wet: The chilly impression has vanished, leaving behind a very balanced scent between the coconut and the florals. And because of the florals, it's not a foody impression. Possibly a mixed-drink impression, but my husband hopefully will not complain of me smelling like coconut creme pie.

Drydown: The chilly impression returns, making the scent even less foody. The coconut is in the background now, with the florals going slightly herbal.

Verdict: I think I like this very much. Must play with it some more.

In the bottle: Fruity and tropical, with some light pine notes, and creamy coconut.

Wet: Very,very pine-y! Dark, but still slightly fruity, no real coconut to speak of.

Dry: Just like in the bottle, equal parts coconut, tropical fruitiness, and light island breeziness(not sure what makes it smells like that, but it's very lovely). Not any pine at this point.

Lovely, reminds me of a tropical island and also of a Brady Bunch episode set in Hawaii, something nostalgic about this scent, but that's just me! I love it!

I wanted so badly for this to be awesome, because I loooove coconut. Sadly, something in it goes plastic on me. I don't know which note is doing that, but it ruins what is otherwise a lovely cold-tropical blend. It just has a fake and strange smell, and I am so disappointed!

In The Bottle

Kind of green and fruity

On Application

Slightly fruity and creamy to start and then some florals

Dry Down

This is definitely very much like Snow White. May be a little more floral. I prefer Snow White.

Rating (0-5)

Oh this is lovely, isn't it?

Out of the imp: As advertised, a whollop of coconut, and a frothy cold note. Cold frothy note could be read as eucalyptus, but overall the scent smells very much like an icy pina colada.

Several hours later, this is a toned down version of Snow White. Kind of like Snow White with a bit of Obatala.

Earlier, this was definitely Snow White's fun loving sister on vacation somewhere tropical. Never had quite as much throw as Snow White, nor the lasting power.

Overall, this is really beautiful, and I'd love to track down a partial but will not likely need both Snow White and the Princess.

Damn, how does the Lab make a scent smell "cold"? I'm fascinated by that! In one out of every 100 huffs of Tiki Princess, I imagine the cold part of the scent could be mint, or perhaps eucalyptus; but really the majority of what I smell is fantastic pina colada-y coconut. The throw is good-to-great, and considering that tropical notes usually fade quite fast on me, this lasts a surprisingly long time.

I don't understand the Snow White comparisons because to me SW is mostly almond with soft white florals, and I don't get either in TP, which is fantastic because that means I can love SW and TP all in their total separateness. :P

bottle: sweet and sour and somehow icky like urine

wet on skin: luckily that icky smell from bottle did not appear on skin as this is boozy coconut delight - sweet and strong like good pina colada though there is bit scary whiff of jasmine in it (jasmine and I do not get well along - and that first impression of urine was probably because of these flowers of doom)

dry on skin: sweetiness settles down a bit and boozy and bit fruity wet scent morphs into more floral and soft and very pretty combination of coconut and frangipani - there is also hint of woodsiness i cannot identify but luckily frangipani keeps jasmines on background

I am coconut-holic so this definately fits in my collection even though I tend to love bit spicier and dryer coconuts more - coconut and frangipani makes this however very comforting, familiar and happy scent as those belong seamlessly to my tropical surroundings

Sharp tropical florals and a light, slightly slushy coconut. The comparisons to Snow White don't make any sense at all to me, which is a disappointment since a Snow White-esque blend would have been appreciated! The florals turn into beautiful expensive soap on me, and the coconut, as all BPAL coconut except for a rare few do, turns into a plasticky dusty coconut on me. I am almost tempted to keep it, because it is beautiful, but... soap... I don't really like to smell like soap.

Edited by obsidienne

First, a mega-thank you to the generous azurephoenix for giving me a decant of this - you're a sweetheart!

My first impression - in vial and wet - was pina colada. Sweetly alcoholic and real coconut. Unexpected and very nice! I was leaning toward a last-minute purchase.

However.

About 30 mins in now, and something plastic-y ugh is coming out. I destroyed Snow White, too, and they are apparently related scents, so perhaps it was predictable. At any rate, this is going bad places pretty quickly, due to whatever skin interaction... so I'm really happy to have gotten to try it, but it's just not going to work for me. :(

FWIW, I never noted any florals or mint - some fizzy coolness, but my impression was Drink! more than anything else...

In anticipation of a long-awaited vacation to the beach with my daughter, I ordered two bottles so I could slather if I wanted to. Due to my bad timing, my order arrived the day after I left for vacation. :evil: Fortunately, hubby stayed home and brought it in from the mailbox, so it had a week to rest up from its trip.

I arrived home yesterday and couldn't wait to shower after the 12 hour drive, and slathered Tiki Princess, barely sniffing it in the bottle first. This is as I'd hoped, I a great scent for summer and would have been perfect at the beach. It's definitely reminiscent of a pina colada and has none of the Snow White similarity others have described, which makes me very happy. The coconut is strongest, blended with a fruity mixture that is not totally pineapple. It has a similarity to the Bath and Body Works Coco Cabana lotion that I packed instead for my vacation (disclaimer: not a worthy substitute) and will layer very well over that. I definitely think of this as a frothy coconut drink applied to my skin.

I see myself using this a lot over the next few weeks, while it's still so hot here.

Tiki Princess goes on very light (I could just barely smell it at first) and gets stronger as it dries. Unfortunately, it ends up smelling kind of plastic-y on me. I suspect that it's the coconut, but I can't tell for sure. It isn't unpleasant, but I don't really care for it.

Edited by IridiumFlash

I definitely see the Snow White comparisons here.. and since SW is one of my all-time favourite blends, that makes me very happy!

This is like Snow White's Hawaiian cousin - the coconut is sweet and mellow but definitely cold - it reminds me of a coconut icecream milkshake. Plumeria is such a pretty note, and combined with the other ingredients in here it mixes with the coconut and becomes a gorgeous tropical cocktail. I have nothing more to add - the other reviews say it all.. this is beautiful, soft sweet and cool. I really am astounded at its likeness to Snow White though - I see not everyone agrees with that, but on my skin it definitely has a similarity.

My Tiki Princess finally arrived!! And boy is she lovely. :wub2: I just want to say that I have and love Snow White, and while I may have seen where some people might find them pretty similar, they smelled pretty different to me.

Wet: a sharp blast of cold, wet coconut. Perfect for muggy summer days.

Drydown: dries down to something warmer and sweeter. It smells like a creamy, cool coconut drink. The florals also come out more. It's a beautiful, inviting, snuggle-y scent.

Overall, I love it! Am definitely keeping it, and I can tell it'll probably rocket up to my top 10 (or even 5)!

In the bottle: Soft coconut

Wet on wrist: A soft, cool coconut -- pretty simple

On the drydown: This softens down so I can get a feel for the other notes along with the coconut -- it's quite soft, but pleasant -- low medium throw.

3:45 pm: This stuff is still going strong!

Edited by AnArtfuldodger

This may be my shortest review ever.

From start to finish, this is just like wearing a cold pina colada. I love it! Such a lovely scent for summer, and it blends in perfectly with the Atomic Luau Lounge launch. As a bonus, it lasts a really long time. :wub2:

I :heart: this - seriously, I could wear this almost everyday. It's a creamy, cool, and frothy coconut blend. The cold note is very authentic - it almost reminds me of the smell of soft and fluffy snow when you first go outside in the morning after a snowfall and breathe in the air. It's a cousin of Snow White in my opinion but with more of a coconut feel versus almond - and much lighter. This is very delicate and pretty scent without being super floral; I haven't found a scent that I've liked this much in a long time. Adore!

In the bottle: Mostly floral, a hint of something cool and sweet. Not quite minty, but gives that same chilly impression.

Wet: Smells like the love child of Obatala and Eden. No impression of that cool, almosty minty scent.

Dry (30 minutes): Smells like it wants to be a pina colada, but not quite. Hint of something dusty/spicy underneath-maybe the ala ala wai nui, since it's in the pepper family?

4 hours later: Faint whisper of pineapple. No throw-can only smell when sniffed where applied.

My overall impression is that it's okay, but nothing I need to hoard. I'm glad I only bought one bottle. This really didn't give me the POW! Coconut! I was hoping for.

I really love this scent!! It's very light. I wasn't sure how something could smell "frothy," but that's definitely an accurate description.

In the bottle: a little coconut, but also some rum scent

Wet: mostly coconut, but not overly sweet or overpowering

Dry: once it's dry, I still get the coconut, but also some fruit and a hint of floral.

My biggest problem with this scent is that I can't really smell it except when I smell my arm, and it seems to wear off rather quickly. I wish it was a little stronger and lasted a little longer.

Sniffed: Coconut, loud and clear, touched with heady florals.

On skin: Tiki Princess bounces in, gleefully shrieking "I'm here and I'm your COCONUT friend!!!" Warm, heady coconut bordered by spicy, pungent flowers, smooth and milky in texture; a simple, bold, happy scent. (I don't get any coldness since my skin chemistry invariably warms up whatever creates that "cold" feel.) The Princess tends to remain thus, but not always. Sometimes, something unpleasantly spicy/peppery starts developing amidst the sweetness -- this reminds me of the angry pepper that ruined Szepasszony, and I wonder if there's a similar flower here. Plumeria, perhaps? I'm wearing the Princess as I type this, and this time, that hot spicy floral is stifled by the other notes, and the scent overall manages to remain fluffy and sweet and lightly spicy. Colour impression is pure white with the barest touch of sunny yellow.

Verdict: When Tiki Princess is good, she is a sweet coconut touched with spicy flowers. But when she's bad, she's hot and peppery. Unfortunately, she likes toying with me and I never really know what she would be. And the this blend is just a bit too heavy on cloying, sweet coconut. I'll have to let her go...

Edited by Vega

I was kinda "meh" on this when I first got it. But I just dug it out again, and I definitely like it more! It's less sunscreen-y now. There's a spicy note that's coming out more that I like, and the floral notes are a nice touch.. I don't know if I'm completely won over yet, but I'm definitely going to give this bottle another shot.

I love this scent! In the bottle it very much smells like what Snow White eventually morphs to on my skin...coconutty floral goodness. It very much stays true to how it smells in the bottle except it simmers down more...fades very quickly. :( I wish it stayed longer and had more of a throw. Quite lovely!! I will have to try this in the scent locket.