Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

ENYALIOS
Lord of War
Patchouli, frankincense, olibanum, thyme, cocoa absolute, Peru balsam, oakmoss, and juniper.

Enyalios was a surprise on me. It seemed very bright and high, not at all what I was expecting. At the same time, the many notes seemed well-blended in the bottle, and then on my skin while wet. As it dried down though, the juniper really amped, much to my chagrin. This will require further testing. I was so hoping that the cocoa and the Peru balsam would round out the other more intense notes in a detectable sort of way, and perhaps they did, but juniper trumped all.

I had high hopes for this one, but the balsam and the juniper have definitely dominated the blend, at least right now as it's fresh - I was hoping for more of the patchoul, frankincense, and cocoa. Maybe with a few months it'll deepen, but right now it's very sharp and almost metallic - appropriate for the Lord of War!

Frankincense is definitely the dominate note for me, but I get some patch/cocoa and perhaps thyme as well -- slightly reminiscent of Wulric the Wolfman. For now, I do prefer Wulric, but as I wear it, the frank seems to be mellowing (slooooowwly) and it does have potential for some manly sexiness to come out. Not really masculine, but deep and dirty. I like, but I'm not loving yet.

No juniper for me, which is very very good!

ETA: Second day wearing, trying to make up my mind. On my skin, this really just frankincense -- maybe a drift of some other things, but very subtly. It's a masculine frank -- a bit edgy and very very dry. I wear a scent locket most of the time now, however, and the scent there is quite different (yup, that's why I wear a locket). The locket is dark cocoa like woah! Definitely showing signs of those other notes, but cocoa in the lead. I keep thinking it reminds me of Tezcatlipoca, but it's a different cocoa, I think -- dark and dry, and less foody than Tez. That said, Tez is not at all foody after the first blast, and I really like the incense/leather/florals from Tez. If I'm looking for a manly cocoa, I don't think Enyalios is ever likely to win over Wulric or Tez... :(

Edited by tacey

:::ENYALIOS:::

Enyalios is a magnificent and dangerous fragrance. This is a leonine grin, the wolf in man's clothing. This is eye-contact, a respectable handshake, and the thrill of impending bloodshed.

Enyalios's first impression was clear, sharp, and astringent; the Thyme harmonizing impeccably with the Moss and Patchouli to illuminate a brisk, almost citrusy edge.The Cocoa in Enyalios is primordially, geologically dark and foreboding when added to the other elements of this fragrance; lending an almost bloody thematic that excites as much as it unnerves... Ingenuity!

Enyalios is a cross between a posh fight club and an elite secret society... A deep, dark thrill. Once it settles on the skin, Enyalios reanimates, becoming more vibrant and humid as it warms to the blood beneath the surface; greening up from the Balsam, and growing a decorative patina of barely disciplined pathology that borders on the berzerk.

Without question, this scent is all about Him. Make way!

In the bottle: delicious patchouli, astringent herbs and resins

Wet on, the resins and juniper leap forward and almost overtake the patchouli. Sharp frankincense and juniper are the stars of the show here. Aggressively masculine and fierce.

It gentles a bit as it dries, but overall this scent is sharp like a sword. I never detected any of the cocoa, which is really a shame.... it could have softened and sweetened things a bit.

I'm a girl who likes a lot of guy scents, but I'm afraid this is too masculine for me. The juniper is insanely prominent, and it gives the resins a high-pitched kind of tone. I'm going to cellar it for a while. Hopefully, the patchouli and cocoa can gain a little ground, and the resins can mature a little.

Rich, dark, earthy and woodsy with a hint of sweetness and quite a bit of smokiness.. I get the patchouli, lots and lots of frankincense and olibanum (definitely resin-forward as a blend), some green-fresh herbal thyme, a fair bit of sharp-bright juniper but not so much balsam, and a hint of bittersweet cocoa. Can't pick out any oakmoss.

Much more sour and woodsy; the balsam must be partly responsible, but there is something else in here giving the strong sour herbal aspect, and it's not in the list of notes. The juniper's a little more spicy, less green. The thyme is stronger, as is the rooty-dirty patchouli, just the kind I hate - I suspect black patchouli. The resins are still strong but a bit overwhelmed at this stage. Still no oakmoss, and the cocoa has disappeared.

Okay, less piercingly sour, but still very much so and still from an unidentifiable mysterious source. Still very heavily earthy from the dark, dark black patchouli. The resins have amped up, smoky and intense and DARK. This is a rooty-fllth-covered sharp and black, evil sort of blend, which I guess is appropriate - war shouldn't smell pretty - but it's absolutely retched on my skin.

The roommate says 'smells like mothballs' in regards to the late drydown, and I have to agree - it's camphoric. That sour green note never goes away. The thyme holds on nicely and it's the one note that I enjoy in this blend. Mostly though this is overpowering black patchouli, that weird sharp sour note, juniper and smoky frankincense-heavy resins. It reminds me of Minotaur and blends of that ilk, but more sour. The sweetness and cocoa are long gone without a trace, and oakmoss never appears. Strong throw and longevity.

Blech. I didn't expect this to be good and it wasn't. So unfortunate the lab sent me THIS one instead of Enkh...

Energetic and spiky in a sort of bang your sword against your shield sort of way.

Wet, lots of juniper, oakmoss and PATCHOULI.

Drying it starts to smooth out, but, this is an assertive take no prisoners scent, still.

Dry, it gets smoother still, and the resin finally shows up and begins to sweeten the scent, slightly.

I can't smell any cocoa, but the oil is a rich dark color.

Camphor. Camphor and thyme with a bare undercurrent of powdered drinking chocolate. Interesting.Doesn't change at all. No throw on me either but it is holding. Not my cup of tea but interesting.Camphor. Camphor and thyme with a bare undercurrent of powdered drinking chocolate. Interesting.Doesn't change at all. No throw on me either but it is holding. Not my cup of tea but interesting.

Very strong on the patchouli, juniper, and balsam. As others have said, it's very woodsy yet still has a sweetness to it. Even though it's a dark, more masculine scent, I really like this and would wear it. However, a decant is enough for me.

Enyalios - Whoa, quite strong on the patchouli and the balsam and juniper. This is very much a patchouli & wood scent. The thyme gives it a bit of herbalness, too. It's actually quite strong and overwhelming when first applied, but as it dries down, the notes settle into each other and become more balanced. This is definitely not my type of scent. It's more of an outdoorsy guy-scent, and something that would smell drop-dead sexy on my man (even though he's not an outdoorsy type).

I thought I'd hate this one, but it's not that bad. Starts off pretty potent with lots of patchouli and frankincense. Thankfully it dries down to add more cocoa and oakmoss. I think I must amp oakmoss because a few hours in that's the dominant note. It's a tad masculine for my tastes, but the sweet cocoa note helps with that. Even though, I think I'll pass on a bottle.

I get a lot of frankincense from Enyalios. It smells golden, smooth, sweet, and resinous. The oakmoss and balsam add a nice, dry woods base, and the juniper is giving it a bit of a cool, menthol feel. This is a really beautiful woods & resin scent that makes me feel like I'm in the middle of a forest. The patchouli comes out more in the drydown and the juniper pretty much disappears. I love patchouli and the patchouli here is earthy, sweet, dry, and brown smelling. I was curious about how the cocoa would play out in this blend, but I don't smell any cocoa here at all.

Enyalios is like a woodsy version of Cathedral. If Cathedral is the smell of being inside a church, then this is a church in the middle of a forest with all of the doors and windows open. It's a really beautiful, calming scent for me :wub2:

This is mostly juniper, oakmoss, and patchouli on me, with maybe a hint of balsam at first. I amp juniper and was hoping I'd get away with it this time given the other heavy-hitters. Nope. It's a lovely juniper, granted, but I might as well just get one of the GC ones and save myself the expense. If you amp evergreens, this might be one to avoid.

This actually started out smelling like toilet bowl cleaner on me! :blink: Weird ... However, that seemed to go away rather quickly and I was left with an extremely faint scent that smelled mostly like cocoa powder.

And then not even five minutes later, this scent is completely gone. Seems my skin has decided to gobble it up.

Edited by musichappens

Definitely strong in the balsam, juniper and patchouli. It's a resinous blend, masculine, smooth and I find that I get more frankincense on the drydown.

Not my type of blend and after four hours, it is nearly gone.

Err.. no.. not nice. At first, this smells like that brown disinfectant stuff - the balsam/oakmoss/juniper are too dominant and the patchouli is lurking around in the background, doing its dark and dirty thing. Can't say the cocoa ever came out on my skin, same with the franckincense. Overall, once it dries down it becomes quite a nice dark and smoky blend but not my thing - that disinfectant smell never quite goes away enough for me.

Very astringent and herbal at first, settles into a mostly resinous, patchouli, juniper blend. These notes together seem to create a scent of mentholy, herbal woods.

Balsam. Stinky balsam with hints of patchouli and frankincense. :eek: Medicinal Woods. This is way too medicinal for my tastes. :(

Mostly patchouli, frankincense, and juniper... Kind of bitter. It turns out icky, strong, and quite medicinal on me. Not my type of scent at all...

In the imp it smelled completely at odds with on my skin...sadly.

All the notes in this sounded sooo delicious...but, within seconds of applying, a sweet, sickly powder smell overpowered everything, and then in about 10 minutes, it became a candy coated balsam....and now 8 hours later, its a candy coated balsam and frankincense.

:sick2:

So disappointing...I got none of the patchouli or cocoa. Another one bites the dust.

Wet, this is all about the balsam and patchouli. It smells like you're in the middle of a forest actually. After a bit, the balsam fades, and I mainly get the patch. I like patchouli, but only blended with 'femine' notes, and this one definitely has a dude vibe about it. Not really for me, and I don't really think I'd like to smell it on a guy either. I only get a touch of frankincence, and no cocoa to speak of.

I am not exactly the Lord of War type. I don't quite identify with the Sauron-looking dude on the label. But when there are interesting notes, there are indeed interesting notes! I wasn't quite sure what would happen with this one when I tested it at Will Call, but all my fears of overbearing cocoa or patchouli were not realized. It ended up awesome, so I bought a bottle.

In the bottle: Patchouli and juniper on top, with a smooth dark backdrop. The frankincense is definitely in the backdrop, and if I sniff harder, I think I pick up on a hint of the cocoa.

Wet on skin: Pachouli, juniper, and frankincense are still most prominent. The backdrop has dried out a bit already. I don't think I get the cocoa anymore, but the balsam is showing up more now.

Drydown: Freshly dry, the patchouli has calmed down and the frankincense and balsam have become more prominent. It's pretty darkly earthy, with a bit of an edge from the juniper and perhaps also the thyme. At one hour in, the edge has softened a bit, but the blend is overall the same. Maybe slightly less patchouli and slightly more balsam at this point, and I think I may also be getting the oakmoss.

Five hours later: Largely the same as at one hour, though fainter and perhaps slightly drier.

End of the day: Balsam, frankincense, and oakmoss. They're soft, but they're far from completely faded.

Overall: After a full day of wear, still awesome! Oh so awesome. This is quite dark, earthy, outdoorsy. It's strong and lasts long, so I don't need a lot at a time, but I like it very well, and I think that bottle was an excellent purchase on my part, even if I'm about as far from a Lord of War as it gets.

This is all forest, all the time, right in your face. Dry, woodsy, earthy. It could have been amazing, but this is one of those times that patchouli does agree with my skin chemistry.

This is another Dirty Hippie blend. The patchouli is not my friend, and it kind of takes over the blend.